PS5

185,572 Views | 1869 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Brock Sampson
FatZilla
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The liquid metal cooling is a great step in the right direction for keeping the chips cool.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
First, that thing is quite a big boy haha.

I like that you can get to the fans/dust catchers easily. It also seems like they made it so if you don't like the generic face plates you can buy some other design or color. The way they did the interchangeable vertical/horizontal stand is pretty cool too.
DallasTeleAg
That PS3, though... damn. That's a beefy looking machine.
The Fife
I feel like they need an original xbox for scale, and on the other end throw in a PS2 slim just to see how many of them fit inside one of the next gen systems.
MBAR
AG
I love that it has an expansion slot for storage and you dont' have to replace the OG drive. That's a nice feature.
DallasTeleAg
Are we going to be able to install the similar SSD in the expansion slot as the primary SSD? I sincerely hope so. I would hate to have to decide which games I want on the primary SSD and which on the secondary SSD.
tamusc
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Are we going to be able to install the similar SSD in the expansion slot as the primary SSD? I sincerely hope so. I would hate to have to decide which games I want on the primary SSD and which on the secondary SSD.

Sony will have a list of approved NVMe SSDs.

The SSD itself is really just a high end PCIe gen 4 NVMe SSD. It's the storage architecture(compression/decompression performance and GPU direct access to the storage) that's the special part rather than the actual drive, so they can just test other models and list those that meet their requirements.
DallasTeleAg
Gotcha. I thought it was the SSD, specifically.
BallerStaf2003
AG
tamusc said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Sony will have a list of approved NVMe SSDs.

The SSD itself is really just a high end PCIe gen 4 NVMe SSD. It's the storage architecture(compression/decompression performance and GPU direct access to the storage) that's the special part rather than the actual drive, so they can just test other models and list those that meet their requirements.

Will it automatically know where everything is or will you have to switch drives to find the games downloaded on it?
Not a Bot
AG
I thought I'd heard they were working with manufacturers to develop a new spec to ensure compatibility. Right now I don't think anything off the shelf is going to match what this new kind of SSD can do. Hopefully we don't see some sort of Sony branded proprietary thing, but fortunately I don't think that will be the case.
Fenrir
Pretty sure they learned their lesson with respect to proprietary drive space with the vita.
Not a Bot
AG
Found it.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/heres-how-you-can-expand-your-ps5-ssd-storage/1100-6483087/

Not a proprietary format, but will only be compatible with the newest PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives. Sony will release a list of compatible drives. Has to do with the amount of bandwidth needed. Will need to open up the case to install, but looks very easy to do.

It is Microsoft that is going with the proprietary format. They are going to sell expansion carts that slide into a slot on the back.
tamusc
AG
Moxley said:

Found it.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/heres-how-you-can-expand-your-ps5-ssd-storage/1100-6483087/

Not a proprietary format, but will only be compatible with the newest PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives. Sony will release a list of compatible drives. Has to do with the amount of bandwidth needed. Will need to open up the case to install, but looks very easy to do.

It is Microsoft that is going with the proprietary format. They are going to sell expansion carts that slide into a slot on the back.

Yeah, that's what I said a few posts up.

MS is essentially using the same drive tech (PCIe gen 4 NVMe with GPU direct storage access, but just a proprietary card that can be easily swapped out (which might end up being useful during the life of these consoles with expanding game size). At least right now it's priced in line with comparable drives, but it could definitely be a problem of MS/Seagate don't continue to adjust pricing.
fig96
AG
Fenrir
What I read earlier is that there are 10 games confirmed to not work with BC. They're 10 games I've never even heard of before.

Just wish I could count on my PS2 and PS3 games getting BC at some point.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Fenrir said:

What I read earlier is that there are 10 games confirmed to not work with BC. They're 10 games I've never even heard of before.

I don't get this. There's games coming out for the PS5. I won't have time to play ncaa football 2006!
goodAg80
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

Fenrir said:

I don't get this. There's games coming out for the PS5. I won't have time to play ncaa football 2006!
Fenrir
I have PS2 and PS3 games that I've gone back to play numerous times over the years. Not all of them have ended up getting remakes/remasters. I'd like to be able to continue doing that without hoping that my old consoles continue to hold up.
chizadbot
AG

will this work?
YNWA_AG
AG
FightinTexasAg15
AG

First look at the new User Interface
tamusc
AG
Seems pretty nice. Pulls some aspects from the PS4 interface, has some similarities to the Xbox One interface, and adds some stuff from Discord (the simplified screen sharing).

As long as it isn't l**** and doesn't bury you under 5,000 cards, it seems like a nice little upgrade.
tamusc
AG
Western Digital is advertising their SN850 SSD as PS5 compatible, though Sony still hasn't officially released any additional information themselves.

https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/which-ssd-drives-will-be-compatible-with-ps5
WES2006AG
AG
tamusc said:

Western Digital is advertising their SN850 SSD as PS5 compatible, though Sony still hasn't officially released any additional information themselves.

Looks like those prices are pretty much in line with what Seagate announced for Xbox.
tamusc
AG
Yep, about $10 more, but are probably more likely to see price drops due to more options in the future.
Shiner Bock
AG
replacing TV in the game room. will this be ok for ps5? thats the max size that will fit into the area.

https://www.costco.com/vizio-50%22-class---m-series---4k-quantum-led-lcd-tv.product.100686197.html
SoCerFrek
That tv will be just fine.
Saxsoon
AG
Love the UI
atmhockey
AG
Anyone heard of places where they might be getting more inventory in stock before launch? (Stop laughing at me)

I was fully on the "I'll get it on the second wave of production" but now that I've watched a few unboxings this morning I would like one at launch. (OK, wipe the coffee off your laptop screen)

Anyone heard when the next "wave" of production will hit retail?
goodAg80
AG
atmhockey said:

Anyone heard of places where they might be getting more inventory in stock before launch? (Stop laughing at me)

I was fully on the "I'll get it on the second wave of production" but now that I've watched a few unboxings this morning I would like one at launch. (OK, wipe the coffee off your laptop screen)

Anyone heard when the next "wave" of production will hit retail?
November 12. In store purchases. You might want to get in line this weekend.
YNWA_AG
AG
Rumor is target is selling their in store allotments online at midnight on the 12th to eliminate camping.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
tamusc said:

It'll be interesting to see how Sony treats it. Will they just not recognize/load non-approved drives, or will they just say "make sure you're above the 5.5GB/s speed that our internal SSD uses; if it's not, that's on you."
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Have they announced if external drives will be supported for storing downloaded PS5 games? It'd be nice to be able to archive a game to an external drive should I run out of space, but I don't want to have to download the whole thing again.
canadiaggie
AG
YNWA_AG said:

Rumor is target is selling their in store allotments online at midnight on the 12th to eliminate camping.
So camp outside somewhere other than Target, and try to buy from Target on the phone at midnight, got it.
chizadbot
AG
my accessories have shipped. supposed to get her tomorrow. oh la la. controller/headset

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.