PS5

185,596 Views | 1869 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Brock Sampson
AgShaun00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
my ps5 is at bestbuy to pick up today. boom
The Lost
Has there ever been an ETA on how long the supply will be low? I want a ps5 one day, probably fallish time frame once more is out, but havent done enough research to have half an idea if that will happen.

I'm casual as I never got a ps4, i still play my 3, but am intrigued by the 5.
ChemAg15
AG
Six weeks ago this thread was saying they'd be on the shelf in February. Doesn't look like that's going to happen.
Not a Bot
AG
ChemAg15 said:

Six weeks ago this thread was saying they'd be on the shelf in February. Doesn't look like that's going to happen.

That was me. Assumed it would go like the other console launches. I picked up my PS4 in store at Target off a shelf the January after launch. 360 was the same way.

AMD Ryzen, Xbox X, PS5, all have the same chip manufacturer (TSMC). There were rumors early on that they were having trouble with the yields. It's basically the only component inside each console that can't have an alternate supplier.
tamusc
AG
Cactus Jack said:

AMD Ryzen, Xbox X, PS5, all have the same chip manufacturer (TSMC). There were rumors early on that they were having trouble with the yields. It's basically the only component inside each console that can't have an alternate supplier.

At this point, TSMC's 7nm process is pretty mature and TSMC is apparently getting very good yields. The bigger issue is just one of capacity in that AMD is just one of several TSMC customers utilizing their 7nm process and AMD is having to split what they do get between their CPUs (Ryzen, EPYC), their GPUs, and of course their SOC business (including the SOCs for both the Xbox Series and PS5 among others).

Apple has invested billions into TSMC to guarantee their place in line, but AMD just hasn't had that much capital to throw around recently.

So couple AMD not being first in line for TSMC with the need to split with they do get amongst AMD's own business units and combine that with the insane demand currently for every bit of silicon AMD can sell results in the current situation.
Not a Bot
AG
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/318937-report-packaging-issues-ps5-demand-may-be-hurting-tsmc-production

Apparently there's an issue with supply of a key component in the manufacturing process.
tamusc
AG
A critical material shortage would certainly make sense.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
God of War Enhanced Performance patch will be available tomorrow. Great game you can get "free" from ps+ collections if you haven't played it

https://sms.playstation.com/stories/enhanced-performance-experience-playstation-5-god-of-war-2018
Fenrir
FightinTexasAg15 said:

God of War Enhanced Performance patch will be available tomorrow. Great game you can get "free" from ps+ collections if you haven't played it

https://sms.playstation.com/stories/enhanced-performance-experience-playstation-5-god-of-war-2018
It looks amazing on PS4 as is, but combining the performance and cinematic modes to get 4k and 60 fps on that game is going to look gorgeous. Really want to see that in action.
Tabasco
AG
thanks for heads up. downloading now on ps5
texsn95
AG
****, the rib and I just missed the drop at Target this morning

Edit: I got punked, she had it waiting for me when I got home. Too bad it's a busy week at work...I love Dark Souls 1 & 3 (not 2) and have been wanting to dive into Demons Souls for a long time. She got Mortal Kombat...now we just need another controller.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Some new games on sale on the ps store:

Assassins creed Valhalla - $40
Ghost of Tshushima - $40
Immortals Fenyx - $35
Madden 21 - $30
Red Dead 2 - $30
Sekiro - $40
Watch Dogs Legion - $30
Witcher 3 complete edition - $10
chizadbot
AG
Ghost is a long game. Been playing for a month and still have a ways to go.

Good game too. We'll worth the sale price
easttexasaggie04
AG
I'm just jealous of all of you guys playing your PS5's.
AgShaun00
AG
i am sure everyone saw the announcement yesterday, but NCAA football is back in the pipeline.
Chase McGuire
I think it took me 40-50 hours to clear all three maps, and I felt I was moving pretty fast. Definitely worth a playthrough. 8/10.
SquirrellyDan
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

Ghost of Tshushima - $40
Immortals Fenyx - $35
Madden 21 - $30
Red Dead 2 - $30
Sekiro - $40
Watch Dogs Legion - $30

Does Madden 21 on ps5 bring any substantial updates over the ps4 version? Im supposed to have the 10 hr trial through EA access but I haven't been able to get it to work on the Ps5.
YNWA_AG
AG
Not really.
fig96
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

FightinTexasAg15 said:

Ghost of Tshushima - $40
Immortals Fenyx - $35
Madden 21 - $30
Red Dead 2 - $30
Sekiro - $40
Watch Dogs Legion - $30

Does Madden 21 on ps5 bring any substantial updates over the ps4 version? Im supposed to have the 10 hr trial through EA access but I haven't been able to get it to work on the Ps5.
I don't know that those games are even much of an upgrade over the previous versions on any platform.

I recently picked up FIFA21 and I don't know that I can tell the difference from 19.
Not a Bot
AG
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/02/sony-shipped-4-5m-ps5s-in-2020-but-is-struggling-to-speed-up-production/

Sony shipped 4.5 million units in 2020, which is comparable to the PS4 launch. The problem is they are not able to increase production rate due to semiconductor shortage. Production only as fast as your slowest component, which in this case happens to be the one component that you can't contract out to someone else.
El_Guero512
This I got it on the black Friday sale at Target and just beat it last friday. Great game on PS5
Saxsoon
AG
Reminder that you can add ps plus ps5 games to your library even if you don't have one (destruction all stars, the upgraded Control, etc
chizadbot
AG
Has anyone used the VR with the PS5? My son has an oculus he uses with his PC and I was playing half life Alyx on and now I have to get VR, lol.

Curious of anyone has used the PS VR. Does it work on PS5 (I'm sure it does) and is there a new one coming out soon?

Dammit! I should hav3 never played that amazing game.
Tabasco
AG
I have it on PS4 and it's pretty cool. I have not tried it on pa5 yet, but you will need a camera adapter cord. They will send it to you for free if you post your PS4 serial number (it's on the bottom). Mine took 7-10 days. I will see if I can find the link later when o get a chance unless someone beats me to it
chizadbot
AG
V cool. I found that link here

Any games that are must play?
Tabasco
AG
chadhaught said:

V cool. I found that link here

Any games that are must play?

Definitely Astro bot. Beat saber and moss are great too.

I found this thread last week and would be a good resource.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/l7bb3m/i_have_played_99_playstation_vr_games_here_they/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body
Tabasco
AG
Let me add, Astro bot is the psvr version of the PS5 astros playroom. Also, some you need the move controllers (the old ps3 wand things), I just happened to already have some, so I forgot to mention that.
XXXVII
I stopped looking for a PS5 in December, and now it looks like they're still out of stock everywhere. Has it gotten any easier to find one since December?
CFTXAG10
AG
XXXVII said:

I stopped looking for a PS5 in December, and now it looks like they're still out of stock everywhere. Has it gotten any easier to find one since December?
I hopped on Gamestop's site yesterday because they had a release and it was the same **** different day. All gone in a span of about 5 minutes. I will probably just wait until supply catches up with demand in 2023.
tamusc
AG
XXXVII said:

adamsbq06
AG
I found one easily... I used a tracking website and setup browser alerts
tamusc
AG
AdamsBQ06 said:

I found one easily... I used a tracking website and setup browser alerts

I have four different alert systems running including push alerts through Telegram and Discord. I have responded to the alerts dozens of times in less than a minute and struck out every time. I've had multiple computers/devices and multiple browsers and apps ready for scheduled drops. Despite all of that, I and seven of the group of 10 close friends that have been doing the same have struck out.

It's pretty much just dumb luck if you get one at this point.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
If it's new, shiny, and electronic, you're pretty much going to rely on dumb luck for the next year.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-05/chip-shortage-spirals-beyond-cars-to-phones-and-game-consoles
TyHolden
AG
my kids got one for V-Day. how hard are these to get? i'm trying to figure out what my wife paid.
fig96
AG
She very well might have just paid retail if she got lucky and found it somewhere, no telling.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.