PS5

185,652 Views | 1869 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Brock Sampson
La Vernia_Ag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know it can seem like a lot of work, but since executing the approach I listed and watching a few videos from Jake Randall I've acquired four consoles for us and friends in the last three weeks. I've ordered from GameStop, Wal-Mart, and PlayStation Direct, with GameStop being the best experience IMO. Also, there have been a LOT of drops over the past week and more to come as we get close to Black Friday and Christmas, so may be worth the effort if you really want one.
Not a Bot
AG
Tried WalMart yesterday got locked out. I haven't done the strategy stuff so maybe I'll look into it. The problem is I don't do Twitter and wouldn't even know how to set up notifications or whatever.
Thriller
AG
If you have an Amazon 4 Star sore in your local mall, check there. My son ran across a few today in the Lone Tree, CO location.
La Vernia_Ag06
AG
Wal-Mart is the worst one to buy from based on my experience and feedback on Twitter. Also their not delivering ours until two weeks out. Game Stop and PlayStation were 3-day shipping.
unmade bed
La Vernia_Ag06 said:

I know it can seem like a lot of work, but since executing the approach I listed and watching a few videos from Jake Randall I've acquired four consoles for us and friends in the last three weeks. I've ordered from GameStop, Wal-Mart, and PlayStation Direct, with GameStop being the best experience IMO. Also, there have been a LOT of drops over the past week and more to come as we get close to Black Friday and Christmas, so may be worth the effort if you really want one.

Just out of curiosity, what $ amount value would you put on the amount of work you have to do to get a PS5, and would you be willing to do said work in exchange for said $ amount for say some rando on Texags?

I don't mind paying a premium for a PS5 before Christmas and I would just buy one on eBay now if I didn't think doing that would reward the behavior that is leading to this shortage.
TV Casualty
AG
You were able to get it one from Walmart online?

I haven't seen anyone having success there. It says sold out 1 second after the drop and everyone gets put in a timer that never ends.
Not a Bot
AG
I tried Sony direct a few times. No luck there either. Does GameStop send out reminder emails or anything prior to things dropping or is it just instantaneous?
La Vernia_Ag06
AG
I did with a Wal-Mart+ membership and even then it was a crapshoot
La Vernia_Ag06
AG
Go look up PlayStation Direct and you can signup to hopefully be drawn for the "opportunity" to buy one. Got lucky and received an invitation from them.
kdm_01
AG
La Vernia_Ag06 said:

Go look up PlayStation Direct and you can signup to hopefully be drawn for the "opportunity" to buy one. Got lucky and received an invitation from them.

Definitely do this. I signed up about 3 weeks ago after I saw it mentioned on here. Got an email Tuesday that I could have the option to buy it Wednesday (no guarantees) and now it's due to be delivered tomorrow. Easy, especially if you don't need one 'right now'.
Not a Bot
AG
I signed up for the Sony list a while ago. Hopefully they pick me soon.

They say the selection is based partly on PS activities. I've been logging in and playing games on PS+ almost every day and have been subscribed to PSNow for 2 years. Not sure what else I can do.
evan_aggie
AG
Captain Positivity said:

They say the selection is based partly on PS activities. I've been logging in and playing games on PS+ almost every day and have been subscribed to PSNow for 2 years. Not sure what else I can do.

What a world we live in.

"So listen up...we can't take your $500 right away bc we are low in stock. But, what might help, is if you play more and earn activity points. And the more you do and play and buy, the more you have a chance for us take your $500 and sell you other related stuff too."

[switch to scene at Sony USA HQ tech room]

"Hey Jerry, you enabled PS+ Priority points, right?"

Jerry: "Uh, wait what?"

FL_Ag1998
AG
Captain Positivity said:

You'll start getting the invites, just be patient. It took about a month after signing up before I received my first invite, but then suddenly I was getting them weekly. And I didn't have to do anything extra, like play online (although I suppose that couldn't hurt).

If you guys scroll back a couple of pages in the thread there is mentioned one particular guy on Twitter, Matt something I believe, who's literally becoming famous because of how well his notifications work and help people get a PS5. I don't do twitter either, but you can still just check his twitter feed online every morning without a twitter account. He'll give you a pretty big heads up, as in hours advance notice, when there's going to be drops. Then when they're scheduled to actually happen he goes live and talks you through it as they're released. It really does help to follow him and take his advice.
ExPLK
AG
https://twitter.com/mattswider?s=21
La Vernia_Ag06
AG
If you have the annual $15 Pro Membership with GameStop for some drops they will send out an email with the time and items they'll have available. At least that's how it worked for the ones we purchased there.
92Ag95
AG
unmade bed said:

La Vernia_Ag06 said:

Just out of curiosity, what $ amount value would you put on the amount of work you have to do to get a PS5, and would you be willing to do said work in exchange for said $ amount for say some rando on Texags?

I don't mind paying a premium for a PS5 before Christmas and I would just buy one on eBay now if I didn't think doing that would reward the behavior that is leading to this shortage.
My thoughts exactly. I would pay a premium to someone to get me one if I was reasonably sure they weren't engaged in scooping up stock and scalping. Those ebay fckers aren't getting my money but if I could find someone with better luck than me I'd pay them extra.
ExPLK
AG
I offered to get them for folks earlier for cost. I got about a dozen people a PS5, including a few Ags on this board. Unfortunately, it has become increasingly more difficult recently as a lot are trying to get one for Christmas.

The next drop is Monday at 2pm CT at Walmart. You have to be a Walmart+ member to have a shot. It is $13/month to be a member and can cancel at anytime.
Not a Bot
AG
I got my Sony email!!
FL_Ag1998
AG
Captain Positivity said:

I got my Sony email!!

Awesome. Told you to just be patient, lol.

You should still follow the Matt guy on Twitter because he literally live streams the drops...telling you when to start hitting Refresh to see if you can add one to your cart; what to do if you get one in your cart but it disappears before you can checkout (hint, don't hit "Back" just keep trying to Refresh the cart screen);when to go ahead and give up (second hint, a lot of drops come in waves every 10-15 minutes); and more.

Good luck!
ExPLK
AG
Awesome. I hope you get it!
AgsWin2011
AG
I can't believe it's been a year and people are still dealing with this. I was lucky to score an Xbox Series X preorder but not PS5. I was able to get a PS5 in store at Walmart a couple weeks before Christmas last year.
Not a Bot
AG
I'm in the queue. The wait time is more than an hour. Gees.
ExPLK
AG
Stay in queue. I stayed an hour and got one. YMMV
Not a Bot
AG
Finally got it. Hit "submit order" like 20 times and nothing happened. Eventually used the CC I had on file already instead of the new one I typed in and it went right through.
Tabasco
AG
Captain Positivity said:

Finally got it. Hit "submit order" like 20 times and nothing happened. Eventually used the CC I had on file already instead of the new one I typed in and it went right through.
Awesome, good job. Bet that was nerve-racking
ExPLK
AG
Sweet. Congrats.
La Vernia_Ag06
AG
Congrats! Pretty good feeling picking one up, especially with this system being out over a year already.
Not a Bot
AG
Anybody what to buy it?
Not a Bot
AG
Just kidding.

It's mine.

DallasTeleAg
I haven't been following this much, since I was one of the lucky ones who got his in the first week of release, but has there been any sort of large second market of people buying these up and making a lot of profit marking them up?

I know it definitely happens, but i'm more interested in how prevalent it is.
La Vernia_Ag06
AG
Pretty huge problem according to the experts on Twitter, bots buying up tons of them. There's a pretty good markup on them.
fig96
AG
So I'm still a PS4 Neanderthal as I've got an infant and can't quite justify the expense for a console I'll barely play right now, but the PlayStation store has lots of new games marked down for Black Friday. Just picked up FIFA22, I do appreciate that they're including both PS4 and PS5 versions of the games on a lot of their digital downloads.
Harry Stone
AG
I got the email from Sony this week. my ps5 arrives tomorrow!!!
La Vernia_Ag06
AG
If y'all are still looking Walmart has a drop today at 3pm CST for Walmart+ members. You can buy a monthly sub for ~$13. During their last drop I had three computers up and refreshed continuously 10 secs prior to the announced time and was able to get one.

Walmart will put you in a queue with an estimated time. If you're not within the first 15-20 mins of their queue I'd say you're on the fringe of getting a purchase opportunity.
kdm_01
AG
If anybody wants it I have a $5 off Next Purchase at playstationdirect.com and a 15% off next purchase at gear.PlayStation.com.
Send a DM and I'll send the codes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.