PS5

185,647 Views | 1869 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Brock Sampson
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Case by case basis, but I could easily see them making ES6 exclusive and use it as a system seller.
hph6203
AG
wangus12 said:

Case by case basis, but I could easily see them making ES6 exclusive and use it as a system seller.
Case by case probably means the opposite of that. It's probably a factor of how much will this sell vs how much will it cost to make it multi-platform. The make ES6 it'll be multi platform, they make a Duke Nukem game it'll probably be exclusive to PC/Xbox. Maximize revenue and give people the choice of paying $70 for a desirable game or $299 (S) + Game Pass, $500 (X) + Game Pass or $800 (PC) + Game Pass.

Think you'll see the cost of the Series S in the $200 range within 2 years of launch.
canadiaggie
AG
Either way, as long as TES and Fallout are moddable, you're robbing yourself if you don't get it on PC, unless console modding gets better.
fig96
AG
Not an official account but interesting if true, don't know what the timeline has been for alternate colors in the past.

CFTXAG10
AG
fig96 said:

Not an official account but interesting if true, don't know what the timeline has been for alternate colors in the past.

If true, I wonder if this will come with a new wave of pre-order opportunities
rbcs_2
AG
Has to be fake. They can't even make enough of the regular ones right now.
DallasTeleAg
Damn... will have to decide whether to go PC or get an Xbox.

I also agree that the case by case means which will make the most money. If you take into consideration the many gamers who can't afford 2 systems, I think Xbox would rather make money off of them by making those massive titles multi-platform instead of leaving them behind.

Sony owns the patent to Blu-ray. Licensing that patent makes them more money that making it exclusive to their products.
wangus12
AG
I agree with that. Wish Sony looked at it the same way with all their exclusive games from Naughty Dog. I'll probably pick up the PS5 down the road at some point though
canadiaggie
AG
wangus12 said:

I agree with that. Wish Sony looked at it the same way with all their exclusive games from Naughty Dog. I'll probably pick up the PS5 down the road at some point though

I know Uncharted and Last of Us are the big names but I would literally kill for a full fledged Jak & Daxter franchise sequel
fig96
AG
canadiaggie said:

wangus12 said:

I know Uncharted and Last of Us are the big names but I would literally kill for a full fledged Jak & Daxter franchise sequel

Not quite the same, but we do have a Ratchet & Clank PS5 title coming that looks pretty fantastic.
fig96
AG
rbcs_2 said:

Has to be fake. They can't even make enough of the regular ones right now.
Actually, we have no idea. If the big retailers will be getting more, as Sony has stated, it doesn't seem like the actual supply is the issue.

It doesn't hurt Sony a bit for the units to be in insanely high demand for a few months.
Chase McGuire
Ratchet looks great. I love all of those games. I would also kill for a Jak sequel. I still play the original and Jak 2 about once a year.
canadiaggie
AG
fig96 said:

canadiaggie said:

wangus12 said:

Not quite the same, but we do have a Ratchet & Clank PS5 title coming that looks pretty fantastic.

There's a PS5 Ratchet coming? WHAAAAAT. Hadn't heard!
hph6203
AG
wangus12 said:

Sony uses their first party to attract console purchasers to skim revenue off their storefront. That's probably a better business model than what Microsoft is doing for Sony, because they have the attention right now and they have the units. Microsoft can't attract people to their platform (yet) with exclusive content so they have to do it through value and hiding their revenues over time. Microsoft is putting people on a payment plan, Sony is making people pay up front. I think long term, if Microsoft delivers on quality games, they have the better strategy. Americans love their payment plans.

EA, Bethesda, and Microsoft is a pretty tough combo. EA should really dump their annualized releases for their sports games and go to a subscription model where they do tiny updates year over year, charge $6.99 for sports only and ~9.99-12.99/mo for the full slate of games (whatever makes sense), release updated rosters and periodic functionality updates, then branch out and use the steady revenue to get back into NCAA and Golf games.
fig96
AG
canadiaggie said:

fig96 said:

canadiaggie said:

wangus12 said:

There's a PS5 Ratchet coming? WHAAAAAT. Hadn't heard!
Yup, I've actually got a friend working on it, looks really fun:

goodAg80
AG
Has anyone heard if a 3rd party developer is working on backwards compatibility program for PS1, PS2, and PS3? It seems pretty clear Sony isn't doing this. Would they block someone else from doing it?
Chase McGuire
Don't see any way this happens. Unfortunate, but honestly, I think people make way too big a deal of backwards compatibility. It's a nice feature, but as long as the PS5 plays most PS4 games, 99.9% of users will be satisfied.
Fenrir
Are you referring to software on ps5 itself or an emulator that runs on pc? I'm sure someone will try to create the latter, I don't see anyway someone gets a Sony approved piece of software for ps5.
hph6203
AG
Chase McGuire said:

Don't see any way this happens. Unfortunate, but honestly, I think people make way too big a deal of backwards compatibility. It's a nice feature, but as long as the PS5 plays most PS4 games, 99.9% of users will be satisfied.
Most games from PS1 and PS2 would be brutal to play today. I played the hell out of 2Xtreme as a kid, but it wouldn't hold my attention today, same goes for Twisted Metal and Road Rash.
Chase McGuire
Yup. People will complain on the internet, but realistically, how many days of the year are you frustrated you can't pop your PS1 copy of Spyro the Dragon or Metal Gear Solid into your PS4? BC only really matters for the previous generation, and only for the first couple years of the console's life cycle. Otherwise, it's a novelty and bonus feature.
hph6203
AG
There's probably demand for backwards compatibility for a select few games from the PS1/PS2/Xbox generation and more from the 360/PS3 generation. I think we've gotten to the point where there's at least a baseline of playability that can carry forward functionally. Those old games had serious issues with controls and graphics. I don't think Last of Us is ever going to look awful and the controls aren't going to be so infuriating that it will be unplayable. Nvidia is doing AI up scaling that can bring the nearer generations up to a better standard as well, I doubt it would work well on those older generations.
chizadbot
AG
Chase McGuire said:

Yup. People will complain on the internet, but realistically, how many days of the year are you frustrated you can't pop your PS1 copy of Spyro the Dragon or Metal Gear Solid into your PS4? BC only really matters for the previous generation, and only for the first couple years of the console's life cycle. Otherwise, it's a novelty and bonus feature.
Spyro the Dragon, lol

I though the PS Now stuff was basically an emulator. I've never done it but that was my assumption. If you're playing games off of a server, I'm surprised they don't incorporate that.

I'm prob talking out of my rear.
BallerStaf2003
AG
hph6203 said:

Chase McGuire said:

Most games from PS1 and PS2 would be brutal to play today. I played the hell out of 2Xtreme as a kid, but it wouldn't hold my attention today, same goes for Twisted Metal and Road Rash.

Totally agree. The only game I'd want is ncaa football on PS2. It was way better than PS3.

And I was realllllllly good at it.
Chase McGuire
Not what I said. I'd probably use it pretty often because I still have a lot of my old games. But it's not a big deal for a vast majority of the user base. It's a luxury that's cool to have but isn't a defining feature for most users. Sony probably believes the same or it would be more of a focus for PS5.

Most people are going to get a next gen console to play next gen games.
TriumphForks
AG
GameStop in person preorders tomorrow. Have to reserve in person I believe when store opens. Checked my local GameStop and they will have 7. Plan to get out there at 6 am. They open at noon...
canadiaggie
AG
TriumphForks said:

GameStop in person preorders tomorrow. Have to reserve in person I believe when store opens. Checked my local GameStop and they will have 7. Plan to get out there at 6 am. They open at noon...
My buddy who lives in Richmond says his local Gamestop had 5 and 3 people were lined up by midnight
TriumphForks
AG
I'm 5th in line and the GameStop I'm at has 10.
Tabasco
AG
canadiaggie said:

TriumphForks said:

My buddy who lives in Richmond says his local Gamestop had 5 and 3 people were lined up by midnight

Richmond Texas?
Jim01
AG
Online queue system going right now at Gamestop.com

I think both online and in person are only for the disc version, no digital today.
goodAg80
AG
Jim01
AG
Good luck!

I have a disc version at Target but really hunting for a digital version.
goodAg80
AG
If I miraculously get a digital one, I can talk to you about switching.
DallasTeleAg
Still pissed off about Amazon orders... I better not have to wait for the next run of PS5's. Amazon shouldn't allow a pre-order if they can't accommodate. I don't mind waiting a week or so, though.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Honest question, from an old who still games from time to time (LOVE Ghost of Tsushima) and some with my 11 yr old son... do all of you who are buying them right off the bat expect them to work flawlessly upon purchase, or do you fully expect to deal with a lot of bugs and hiccups?

Like I said I'm an old and I stick to the theory of not buying the 1st gen of new technology (yes, I know this is PS5, but still). So I'm legit wondering if I still need to do that and wait awhile or if I should just hop on the bandwagon and get one sooner rather than later.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.