PS5

185,699 Views | 1869 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Brock Sampson
DallasTeleAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Okay... WTF. I have been playing Valhalla and decided to try this little goofy astro's playroom game... WTF?!?! I didn't know the controller could do all that. This controller is truly next gen. The way the triggers changed from smooth to giving resistance... this is just crazy.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Astro's Playroom is really a great game. Hoping other devs can get at least half out of the Dualsense what this team managed to get and I'll be happy.
dcaggie04
AG
Ghost of Bizbee said:

Astro's Playroom is really a great game. Hoping other devs can get at least half out of the Dualsense what this team managed to get and I'll be happy.

That game was made with the sole purpose of showing of the dualsense.

Duallsense will live or die by its acceptance by major developers.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Yep, but still functions as a great Gamepad. Have you tried the CoD Cold War campaign? Those adaptive triggers... my goodness. Really does feel like you're actually experiencing trigger resistance.
Scotty Flamingo
Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but I just learned that Simon Krieger from Miles Morales and Joel from Last of Us is the same voice actor. Completely different sounding voices. That's quite a range.
Cromagnum
AG
Holding out until I can get a black console and black controllers. Nothing else in my entertainment cabinet is any color and that thing looks horrible in white.
evan_aggie
AG
I wanted a ps5 pretty badly but honestly I think the design is atrocious and it reminds me of when the ps3 first came out. I can wait a couple of years for the improved version with cooler silicon.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I've got a random question for you guys. I currently play COD via Xbox Live with some buddies. They'll all more than likely make the jump to a Series X, while I'm thinking of making the jump to a PS5 and keeping my XBox One X. How long would I be able to game with them with me using the prior gen console? Won't most games be compatible for a pretty long while?
goodAg80
AG
evan_aggie said:

I wanted a ps5 pretty badly but honestly I think the design is atrocious and it reminds me of when the ps3 first came out. I can wait a couple of years for the improved version with cooler silicon.
What do you mean? What is atrocious about the silicon?
evan_aggie
AG
The design is all about heat dissipation. Some people might think the circuit board and disk drive take up a lot of space, but it is actually very little. It's really space for air to flow and thermal limits. The original ps3 chip was done on 90nm, and ended at 45nm.

I read online the PS5 is reaching 200W. The original ps3 was about that high, and dropped to 65-85W in the slim.

The ps5 is massive because of the same issue. I don't want to wait 5 years to get a better and slimmer case, but I would imagine they'll release 5nm or better version in a couple of years in a smaller form factor.
goodAg80
AG
evan_aggie said:

The design is all about heat dissipation. Some people might think the circuit board and disk drive take up a lot of space, but it is actually very little. It's really space for air to flow and thermal limits. The original ps3 chip was done on 90nm, and ended at 45nm.

I read online the PS5 is reaching 200W. The original ps3 was about that high, and dropped to 65-85W in the slim.

The ps5 is massive because of the same issue. I don't want to wait 5 years to get a better and slimmer case, but I would imagine they'll release 5nm or better version in a couple of years in a smaller form factor.
OK. So not a design issue per se, but a process technology issue. For example TSMC N7 ("7nm") is far superior to Intel 14nm and it still led to the power level that you mention. Microsoft is reputed to have closer to 250W, but with a larger die (more graphic compute units).

I agree with you that future versions are likely to benefit from process shrinks. I think both Sony and Microsoft wanted to establish a solid performance level that got interest from game players. I expect they will do like you say and drive the size of the systems down and reduce costs.
evan_aggie
AG
Actually, they may end up being able to run the ps5 frequency higher for longer without throttling too. I've read about the difference between MS approach and PS5 approach. The last thing you want is to be playing a game and notice that it goes from smooth to less smooth after 10 minutes of some intense action sequence.

goodAg80
AG
evan_aggie said:

Actually, they may end up being able to run the ps5 frequency higher for longer without throttling too. I've read about the difference between MS approach and PS5 approach. The last thing you want is to be playing a game and notice that it goes from smooth to less smooth after 10 minutes of some intense action sequence.

I happen to know that won't happen. The performance is predictable regardless of the system temperature or duration of play. Sony intends for the PS5 to be used heavily in video game tournaments. All systems will need to perform at the same level for this to be fair.
Bryan98
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I've got a random question for you guys. I currently play COD via Xbox Live with some buddies. They'll all more than likely make the jump to a Series X, while I'm thinking of making the jump to a PS5 and keeping my XBox One X. How long would I be able to game with them with me using the prior gen console? Won't most games be compatible for a pretty long while?

COD, at least, Warzone, is crossplay now. I regularly play Apex and Dead By Daylight with a friend on PS4 (I'm on Xbox). And the truth is that your Xbox One X will continue to be good for a while, but we don't know how long. Maybe a long while, since Xbox is more interested in selling Gamepass than new boxes.

So between those two trends, your plan will probably work fine.
"Texas - It's still America down here!"
texsn95
AG
Does Destiny 2 progress carry over from an XB1 to a PS5?
XXXVII
I'll probably only get the PS5 this console generation. Xbox has consistently disappointed me with the quality of their hardware: from the xbox 360 power brick overheating to the xbox one's shoddy controller buttons.
Bryan98
AG
texsn95 said:

I believe yes. You can only play with people from whatever platform you're currently playing on, but you can play on any platform. This is cross-progression, but not crossplay.

Destiny has instructions for how to do it. A friend of mine started using this feature when it launched about a year ago.
"Texas - It's still America down here!"
texsn95
AG
Bryan98 said:

texsn95 said:

I believe yes. You can only play with people from whatever platform you're currently playing on, but you can play on any platform. This is cross-progression, but not crossplay.

Destiny has instructions for how to do it. A friend of mine started using this feature when it launched about a year ago.
Cool thanks, found this. Mostly play solo and strikes with randoms, never done a raid before, maybe I'm missing out...

https://www.inverse.com/gaming/destiny-2-beyond-light-cross-save-crossplay-xbox-ps5
evan_aggie
AG
Okay, you are right.

Instead, they will use deterministic performance counters to figure out when they need to run the frequency faster or slower. Also, they may not claim to use a thermal sensor to throttle, but they can absolutely infer the thermal impact when issues a certain number of TFLOPS or CPU instructions and then remove a frequency boost allowance.

What's interesting is...that concept works fine in single player, but in multiplayer if you are in a free-for-all, the software/hardware would need to disallow any variable boosting based on the same criteria.

ps5-boost-mode-explained-how-it-enhances-ps5-ps4-games

Quote:

One of the most interesting features of the upcoming PlayStation 5 console is the boost clock feature. Today, lead system architect Mark Cerny talked more about how this will work.

In a recent talk with Digital Foundry, Mark Cerny confirmed that the PlayStation 5 boost will not use the actual temperature of the die, but an algorithm in which the frequency depends on CPU and GPU activity. Using any other criteria would make consoles have highly inconsistent behaviors.
AgRN16
AG
Heads up guys que is up at playstation direct. Good luck.
texsn95
AG
In queue, not holding my breath
FatZilla
AG
https://direct-queue.playstation.com/?c=sonyied&e=psdirectprodku1
SquirrellyDan
AG
I'm in the queue as well. Says 20 mins. We shall see
Tex117
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Okay... WTF. I have been playing Valhalla and decided to try this little goofy astro's playroom game... WTF?!?! I didn't know the controller could do all that. This controller is truly next gen. The way the triggers changed from smooth to giving resistance... this is just crazy.
And the game itself is super charming.

FatZilla
AG
sold out on direct que per a friend who got to front a while back
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!
SquirrellyDan
AG
Sold out
SquirrellyDan
AG
I guess now that I'm it doesn't help to keep refreshing?
goodAg80
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

I guess now that I'm it doesn't help to keep refreshing?
No. You will get to the end and it will tell you they are Out of Stock
XXXVII
AgRN16 said:

Heads up guys que is up at playstation direct. Good luck.

How do you know when the queue is up? Just luck?
Jim01
AG
Follow Wario64 on Twitter, turn on notifications for all tweets.
DallasTeleAg
Waaaa... the PS5 is big, waaaaa.

Seriously, people have issues with some of the strangest things.
TriumphForks
AG
Jim01 said:

Follow Wario64 on Twitter, turn on notifications for all tweets.
Then be prepared for a relentless barrage of tweets unrelated to the thing you want..... but then when the thing you want comes you can breathe a sigh of relief.
MW03
AG
because yall are good ags just trying to play some damned PS5

https://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/sonyps5/

Now please don't beat me to the queue next time they come up
XXXVII
MW03 said:

because yall are good ags just trying to play some damned PS5

https://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/sonyps5/

Now please don't beat me to the queue next time they come up

Oh goodie! Ebay has them in stock! Lol.
Pro Ag
AG
I am glad you said something about that game. I saw it and figured I would give it a shot at some point but based on what you said I gave it a spin this evening.

I now wish I hadn't told my wife the sackboy game could be a Christmas gift as I bet they use lots of the controller features in that game as well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.