PS5

185,675 Views | 1869 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Brock Sampson
hph6203
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm playing on a mixture of PC with a controller and console. Haven't played in any pub games on console as I'm primarily playing with friends. I've heard matchmaking isn't great so far.

Inventory management isn't great on console, but it's doable. You're obviously going to lose some precision with an analog stick, but I've enjoyed it.

Skills are bound to face buttons + R1 and R2. L2 is a modifier to all of those buttons, so you have up to 12 different actions available.

Long press of square moves the items from one inventory to another or sells and item. Short press drops it.

Hold R3 on the belt to fill it with potions from your inventory.

R3 to weapon swap.

L3 toggles run.

L1 shows dropped items on screen.

I've gotten decent, and I think it would have taken quite awhile longer to get decent on a keyboard/mouse, but I barely played the original Diablo 2 for about 1-2 months over 10 years ago.
azul_rain
how ?
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
ramblin_ag02
AG
For anyone still looking, you can now register with Sony for a chance to buy a PS5.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps5/register-to-buy/

Probably my last hurrah trying to get this thing. I'm just about over it. I've had every PS they've made, but this is a bit ridiculous. Nearly to the point of just playing games on my laptop and (hopefully not delayed) Steamdeck and ditching the playstation ecosystem altogether
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
azul_rain
I didn't get a ps4, had the ps2, ps3. Very disappointing that I can't get a ps5
AgLaw02
AG
I also never got a PS4, and I picked up the PS5 earlier this week.

I didn't realize I would immediately have access to a number of top PS4 games as part of the PlayStation Plus collection. I don't have that much time to play. It's going to take me a year plus to play through a quarter of these games.
FL_Ag1998
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

For anyone still looking, you can now register with Sony for a chance to buy a PS5.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps5/register-to-buy/

Probably my last hurrah trying to get this thing. I'm just about over it. I've had every PS they've made, but this is a bit ridiculous. Nearly to the point of just playing games on my laptop and (hopefully not delayed) Steamdeck and ditching the playstation ecosystem altogether

Are you guys following the twitter guy mentioned a few pages ago, and signing up with various services for updates on the restock drops? I knkw it can be a pain in the rear and more labor intensive than just walking in and grabbing one, but once I gave in and started doing the above it really only took me 2-3 weeks to get one. I got mine through Gamestop which seemed to have the best odds.

Don't mean to sound arrogant, but a little bit of effort into it seems to get rewarded.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I have a busy job. Spamming F5 during a business day at some random hour is not an option.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Oh, ok, sorry, didn't realize you were the one person with a busy job. Nevermind then.
DallasTeleAg
ramblin_ag02 said:

I have a busy job. Spamming F5 during a business day at some random hour is not an option.
...he says while taking time out of his day to post on a college sports message board about a video game system.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Ha! I get a few chances some days to sit down in front of a computer. Sometimes I can spend 30 minutes, sometimes 5. It's entirely unpredictable.

The internet is a weird place nowadays. I don't expect to be randomly called out for not being able to drop everything and F5 a retailer's website for 15 minutes on short notice on a workday. I imagine the same is true of many if not most people.
hph6203
AG
Not going to argue your availability, but your impression of the randomness or time investment doesn't really match up with what you'd actually have to do. It's maybe 1-5 minutes per drop and they generally have advanced warning of when a drop is coming. Set up notifications, download retailer apps, have your login information already input, the tweet goes out and you try for 2 minutes and then move on with your day.

I've been able to get 3 Xbox Series X and 2 Playstation 5's and haven't tried in months.

Best Buy and Gamestop are the easiest to get one through.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I tried for a few weeks and they always dropped when I was in the middle of something where I couldn't even check my phone. My availability throughout the day is too random and unpredictable for stuff like this.
El_duderino
Might as well move over to PC for gaming. No paying to play online games like consoles.
AgLaw02
AG
El_duderino said:

Might as well move over to PC for gaming. No paying to play online games like consoles.
Its pretty trivial. I buy an annual subscription to PlayStation Plus when it's on sale for $40 and I don't even play online. I do it for access to the huge game library and it's completely worth it.
Tabasco
AG
AgLaw02 said:

El_duderino said:

Its pretty trivial. I buy an annual subscription to PlayStation Plus when it's on sale for $40 and I don't even play online. I do it for access to the huge game library and it's completely worth it.
You can get it $28-32, just watch www.slickdeals.net
also, you can stack them, so I am usually set 2-3 years out. Might be time to buy another year.

I play a ton of those "free" games, and habitually add them all to my library even though I think I will never play them... only because that one time in the PS3 days when I didn't, and had to pay $20-25 in the PS3 days for my daughter that wanted a Harry Potter Lego game that was PS+ 8 months prior
YouBet
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Sounds to me like you don't have the dedication to quit your job and game full time like the rest of America.

Be better.
kyledr04
AG
Follow the guys on Twitter that post what's in stock and turn on alerts. Even if you don't get to look every time you'll get one eventually. Took me a few tries over several weeks to get one from Sony direct
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

I wish my doc were this committed to his job. He's posting on Texags every time I'm in for a checkup
-Ben There/R.C.
La Vernia_Ag06
AG
BOOM, secured a PS5 at GameStop today! What I learned, get all the apps for the stores you plan to purchase from, clear your cache before a known drop, use Incognito windows, ensure you have a credit card on file, follow all the folks on Twitter as they will send updates on drops, sign into Matt Swider's live streams and he will help share tips & tricks for how to get through the gauntlet of the merchant's Cart process. Also, if you have an Apple Watch, setup notifications for Twitter and you'll be able to jump very quickly when those unexpected drops happen.
adamsbq06
AG
I have both, I am still confused on what everyone's desire for a PS5 is. Game Pass on XBOX blower PS5 out of the water. My PS5 is literally for Spiderman. The Show is on XBOX now. I probably won't buy another Ps5 if that continues.
andy@andrewadamsav.com
YNWA_AG
AG
I only play the exclusives on ps5. Probably won't turn it on again unless I returnal is on a big sale or when horizon 2 comes out
hph6203
AG
Have both. Never play Xbox. If you like online competitive games then I can see your point, if not then PS5 is the far superior console to get. I never play console games online.
fig96
AG
Yeah, I have a PS4 (and will eventually get a PS5) for the exclusives like Spider-Man, the Uncharted series, Ratchet and Clank, etc.

If I get in the mood to play an FPS I can find a decent enough one to scratch the itch.
FL_Ag1998
AG
For those still looking to get one, if you're set up properly under your PSN account to receive news and invitations you should be getting plenty of invites to try and buy one directly from Sony. I'm getting invites once a week these days. If you're not getting them maybe check your settings.
Cromagnum
AG
La Vernia_Ag06 said:

BOOM, secured a PS5 at GameStop today! What I learned, get all the apps for the stores you plan to purchase from, clear your cache before a known drop, use Incognito windows, ensure you have a credit card on file, follow all the folks on Twitter as they will send updates on drops, sign into Matt Swider's live streams and he will help share tips & tricks for how to get through the gauntlet of the merchant's Cart process. Also, if you have an Apple Watch, setup notifications for Twitter and you'll be able to jump very quickly when those unexpected drops happen.

That is far too much work for something that has been out for a year already.
ExPLK
AG
I am a PS guy. I'm planning on getting an XBOX-X (when I can find one) solely to play flight simulator. The setup is in my mediaroom and would be easier than trying to piece together a computer to run it. I'm also looking at the honeycomb hardware. Already got the bravo throttle but waiting for the Charlie pedals and alpha yoke for XB.

For everything else, PS is my route.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Cromagnum said:

La Vernia_Ag06 said:

No one argues with that statement, but its not going to change anytime soon because of the chip shortage, so you can either cry about it or put in just a little bit of effort to get one (sign up for notices from Sony, then jump online when they're available, that's it).
Cromagnum
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Cromagnum said:

La Vernia_Ag06 said:

No one argues with that statement, but its not going to change anytime soon because of the chip shortage, so you can either cry about it or put in just a little bit of effort to get one (sign up for notices from Sony, then jump online when they're available, that's it).

I'll put in the effort when a different form factor (or a black version) comes out. There isnt really anything I've been eager to play on it yet anyways.
billyjack2009
Happened to be waiting at doc office and hopped on Twitter yesterday and saw that BB had a drop. Got in virtual line and grabbed one. Waiting on confirmation of pick up at Galleria location.
hph6203
AG
How did Dr. ramblin take it when you told him you got one while in his waiting room?
ramblin_ag02
AG
hph6203 said:

How did Dr. ramblin take it when you told him you got one while in his waiting room?

Low blow

I did get an email from Sony saying they've registered my interest in buying a PS5. So I've got that going for me
TV Casualty
AG
Had one in my cart for GameStop, Best Buy, and Sams club this past week. Never could get them to actually process the payment and complete the sale.
Tabasco
AG
hph6203 said:

Haha! This is awesome! Only 3 stars!/

edit to add: I give u a star to take u to 4.
Fenrir
Got the notice that the amazon treasure truck had some PS5 disc versions...I immediately clicked the link and it's already sold out. Either I didnt' get the notification as fast as others or it went in a matter of seconds. I'm curious how many people are actually getting these vs scalpers.
La Vernia_Ag06
AG
I was able to pickup the disc version today on GameStop. Found some more tips from Jake Randall on YouTube and those helped a lot. He breaks them down by store due to their nuances.

Picked up two in a week, so a little bit of research goes a long way imo. Also, there's a few more drops planned for this week so go find those PS5 Twitter guys.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.