PS5

185,592 Views | 1869 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Brock Sampson
dcaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fee interesting things to take from that article

1. Miles spiderman will not be as big as original spiderman as it will be 10 bucks cheaper.
2. Increased game cost. I've been waiting to see who went this route first. Might be a tough pill for many to swallow as everyone is used to $60 games.
3. If you want the free upgrades for your PS4 discs, don't get the cheaper digital PS5. This could cause issues since I'm not sure Sony has made this super clear for people that don't read/follow gaming sites.

The last one could be the one thing that gets a large backlash against Sony.
Tabasco
AG
Yep, I just read the same thing. Not sure I would play any of my old ps4 games on the ps5 though anyway.
dcaggie04
AG
Tabasco said:

Also, looked up the storage for the PS5, since I had not seen it yet. Found this.

825GB SSD at 5.5-9GB/sec; NVMe SSD slot; support for USB HDD

I thought damn. Yes I know its an SSD, but the first thing I did when I got my OG PS4 at launch was to put in a 2 terabyte drive in. How seamless and user friendly are the usb drives?

For PS5, there will be no external SSDs available at launch or before the end of 2020 I bet. Even if something comes out, it will be expensive. This is because the new internal SSD use PCIe 4.0. All current SSDs are PCIe 3.0. It appears you can hook up an USB HDD put you can't put any PS5 games on it. Only PS4 or game save data.

For XSX, the will have an expansion slot for the SSD which seagate will be manufacturing up to 1 TB expansion cards for but it's not clear when those will be available. For the external HDD, it will be like PS5 support, with not being able to have XSX games on it.

So TLDR, if you have an external SSD on your current system, it won't expand the SSD storage on the new system.
dcaggie04
AG
Tabasco said:

Yep, I just read the same thing. Not sure I would play any of my old ps4 games on the ps5 though anyway.
True, but I know a number of people that want to play older games just to play them with the better resolutions, potentially better FPS, and better performance.

You kinda saw this mentality when HZD came out recently for PC. A ton of people who did full playthroughs when it first came out on the PS4 did full playthroughs on the PC mainly to see everything that was improved.
chizadbot
AG
i've been in the sony queue from that email they sent me for about 45 min. it gives you the estimated wait time they hopefully i can snag one.

15 mins to go
fig96
AG
dcaggie04 said:

3. If you want the free upgrades for your PS4 discs, don't get the cheaper digital PS5. This could cause issues since I'm not sure Sony has made this super clear for people that don't read/follow gaming sites.
I was curious about this after looking at the official PS5 site, thanks for the clarification.

While I've got a fair amount of PS4 games, most will be cheap to buy on download if so desired so I feel like I might just go for the digital version anyway.
Tabasco
AG
dcaggie04 said:

Tabasco said:

Also, looked up the storage for the PS5, since I had not seen it yet. Found this.

825GB SSD at 5.5-9GB/sec; NVMe SSD slot; support for USB HDD

I thought damn. Yes I know its an SSD, but the first thing I did when I got my OG PS4 at launch was to put in a 2 terabyte drive in. How seamless and user friendly are the usb drives?

For PS5, there will be no external SSDs available at launch or before the end of 2020 I bet. Even if something comes out, it will be expensive. This is because the new internal SSD use PCIe 4.0. All current SSDs are PCIe 3.0. It appears you can hook up an USB HDD put you can't put any PS5 games on it. Only PS4 or game save data.

For XSX, the will have an expansion slot for the SSD which seagate will be manufacturing up to 1 TB expansion cards for but it's not clear when those will be available. For the external HDD, it will be like PS5 support, with not being able to have XSX games on it.

So TLDR, if you have an external SSD on your current system, it won't expand the SSD storage on the new system.
That is horrible news, but thanks for the info. I hate being low on space and having to delete games just to play others.
Tabasco
AG
An for more horrible news, I just got this email from Amazon (bought the disc PS5 through the twitter backdoor link posted previously).

Quote:

Hello,

We're contacting you about your order of PlayStation 5 Console (B08FC5L3RG) to let you know in advance that you may not receive this item on the day it is released due to high demand. We'll make every effort to get the item to you as soon as possible once released.

You can track the latest shipment status of your order under Your Orders on Amazon.com. Once there, you can make changes to unshipped orders, cancel unshipped items, track shipped packages, and much more.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
Amazon.com

YNWA_AG
AG
I'm not too worried about it. They didn't say they oversold.
ac04
interesting, i bought the same thing the same way and haven't received that email yet. fingers crossed.
DallasTeleAg
I received the same email... wth?!

I wouldn't have canceled the order I had with Gamestop, if this was the situation. What a cluster...
rangerdanger
AG
I don't trust Amazon with anything game related anymore. Too many times I've preordered things months in advance just for it to get delayed weeks past the release date. Been shifting my purchases to BB and Walmart now, and luckily scored my PS5 from Walmart last night.
TriumphForks
AG
I wanted to preorder from GameStop for this very reason but alas... I will take what I can get at this point. If I can somehow land an in store preorder between now and launch I will take that and cancel my amazon preorder.
Tabasco
AG
rangerdanger said:

I don't trust Amazon with anything game related anymore. Too many times I've preordered things months in advance just for it to get delayed weeks past the release date. Been shifting my purchases to BB and Walmart now, and luckily scored my PS5 from Walmart last night.
Weeks? Ah hell no.
Tabasco
AG
TriumphForks said:

I wanted to preorder from GameStop for this very reason but alas... I will take what I can get at this point. If I can somehow land an in store preorder between now and launch I will take that and cancel my amazon preorder.
Yeah that sounds like the best plan. If anyone sees anything open up, post it hear please
DallasTeleAg
I went to Best Buy on day 1 when the Switch came out and was able to snag one. May try that for the PS5.

Really, I just want it by November 19th.
third
AG
Tabasco
AG
So they are in one place here:

$500 disc

Walmart

Target

Best Buy

Game Stop

$400 digital

Walmart

Target

Best Buy

Game Stop
Pman17
AG
rangerdanger said:

Yea, everyone goes to Amazon by default. It's best to order from the source or retail. I ordered the Switch for store pickup at Best Buy as soon as pre-orders went up. It was waiting for me on day 1. I had no issues ordering an Xbox One X from Microsoft Store when Amazon sold out and got it delivered day 1. From what I remembered when the Xbox One launched 2013. It was easy to pre-order and get it before holiday, but if you waited, you had to pay a little extra on ebay during the holidays.
chizadbot
AG
I was able to get one from Sony. They gave free day of shipping for free for PSN+ members.

That was from the email they sent out but I think I got lucky on that email.
Tabasco
AG
chadhaught said:

I was able to get one from Sony. They gave free day of shipping for free for PSN+ members.

Nice! I plugged my username in that thing. Thought I had a chance since I have been doing playstation since PS1, but know they didn't start the gamer tag or whatever it is called since ps3. I put that in maybe 10 days ago. When did you enter, and when did you get the email roughly?
chizadbot
AG
Tabasco said:

chadhaught said:

Nice! I plugged my username in that thing. Thought I had a chance since I have been doing playstation since PS1, but know they didn't start the gamer tag or whatever it is called since ps3. I put that in maybe 10 days ago. When did you enter, and when did you get the email roughly?
When they announced it a while ago I recall signing up for whatever they had. I honestly don't remember and was kind of shocked I got them email but I also typically take whatever surveys they put out and sign up for everything so I can get into alphas and what not that come out since I play most everything.

I'm still trying to find opportunities for a couple of buddies I play with that want them also so if I see anything helpful I'll post it here.

Good luck!
evan_aggie
AG
I wonder how long it'll take them to make a smaller and less ridiculous looking box...
Jim01
AG
Does this announcement change any feelings about PS5?

It's a brilliant move in strategy and timing for Microsoft.

Other than Switch I've been out of gaming for a while. Getting the next gen as my two boys are getting into gaming. None of the titles pictured call my name so it doesn't really affect my PS5 vs XBox decision.

Chase McGuire
Still getting a PS5 day one, but this means I may pick up an Xbox down the road or build a PC. Too many great games to pass up, especially from Arkane. Xbox needed to do something like that desperately to remain relevant, IMO. Imagine if Elder Scrolls 6 is console exclusive to Xbox? That's huge.
Fenrir
Given Microsoft's position lately on bringing their titles to pc I would rather have a ps5 and pc.

I also don't play bethesda games much though so this doesn't move the needle for me personally.
YNWA_AG
AG
Microsoft wants people on gamepass so it doesn't matter to them if it's pc or Xbox
Chase McGuire
Wouldn't surprise me if they keep some of those games on PlayStation/other platforms either. They did the same when they bought Minecraft. They'll do whatever makes them the most money.
fig96
AG
Interesting move but doesn't affect me at all, I'm on PS for the Uncharted/Spider-Man type titles.
BallerStaf2003
AG
I liked Wolfenstein and doom a lot, but not enough to buy an Xbox over PS5.

If they come out with a new elder scrolls, that will be bad.
AgRN16
AG
Yeah, pretty much will be getting Xbox now. Probably Series S.
MBAR
AG
I mean I already played Skyrim. Thats the only title I care(d) about from them. Make a new ES game and we'll talk.
BallerStaf2003
AG
AgRN16 said:

Yeah, pretty much will be getting Xbox now. Probably Series S.

Not so fast my friend.

Chase McGuire
Called it. But the fact that some of these will be on GamePass vs. maybe $70 on PS5 could put more value on playing on Xbox/PC.

Looks like PS5/PC will be my set-up for the foreseeable future, which was probably going to be the case regardless.
YNWA_AG
AG
Still could be a timed exclusive. Gamepass at its current price is still a better value than paying $70 for new games on the ps5.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.