PS5

185,579 Views | 1869 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Brock Sampson
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nebraska Furniture Mart salesperson said they have huge shipments of PS5's scheduled for June.
AgsWin2011
AG
PooDoo said:

Nebraska Furniture Mart salesperson said they have huge shipments of PS5's scheduled for June.

June? That's ridiculous. I knew I was lucky when I was able to get one in person at Walmart before Christmas, but wow. I did have to get up on Saturday at about 3am to go get in line, but it was worth it.
atmhockey
AG
Same story different day. Get alert that retailer X has them in stock. Go to site. Sold out. I just want a disk version.

C'mon man!
Wheatables02
AG
so any word on an expandable SSD yet?
AgsWin2011
AG
Wheatables02 said:

I think I remember something saying by June/July.
The Lost
atmhockey said:

Same story different day. Get alert that retailer X has them in stock. Go to site. Sold out. I just want a disk version.

C'mon man!

Same, and not some silly bundle.
tamusc
AG
Heismenberg said:

Wheatables02 said:

I think I remember something saying by June/July.

I mean, it probably won't matter to me since I likely won't be able get one until then (maybe, lol), but how the hell was this not a feature available at launch?
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
The Lost said:

AdamsBQ06 said:

The Lost said:

As someone with a ps3, seeing the create a stadium in mlb the show makes me want one in time for the season. Ugh. But I'm also not into it enough to try and sign up for alerts or whatever
The Show is literally the only reason I buy a Playstation.... now the Show will be on XBOX
I assume it's the only way it's profitable enough to keep making on next gen. I won't switch because of it, but not sad if that's what it takes to keep it around. Still miss the tiger woods games and can't wait for the eventual ncaa game, which will probably take a few years to be good.

All AAA sports games based on the relevant leagues in sports are insanely profitable because of their monetization strategies. The fact that The Show is even more accessible to others now that its also on Xbox is great for the game's community
The Lost
Ghost of Bizbee said:

The Lost said:

AdamsBQ06 said:

The Lost said:

As someone with a ps3, seeing the create a stadium in mlb the show makes me want one in time for the season. Ugh. But I'm also not into it enough to try and sign up for alerts or whatever
The Show is literally the only reason I buy a Playstation.... now the Show will be on XBOX
I assume it's the only way it's profitable enough to keep making on next gen. I won't switch because of it, but not sad if that's what it takes to keep it around. Still miss the tiger woods games and can't wait for the eventual ncaa game, which will probably take a few years to be good.

All AAA sports games based on the relevant leagues in sports are insanely profitable because of their monetization strategies. The fact that The Show is even more accessible to others now that its also on Xbox is great for the game's community

They're so profitable that there are no competing titles in any pro sport like early 2000's and a pga game doesn't exist.... development cost is 100% the reason. It's also the reason for the "monetization" strategies you speak of exist.

It's not hard at all to argue baseball is a niche of a video game as pga games. It's not madden or fifa.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
The Lost said:

Ghost of Bizbee said:

The Lost said:

AdamsBQ06 said:

The Lost said:

They're so profitable that there are no competing titles in any pro sport like early 2000's and a pga game doesn't exist.... development cost is 100% the reason. It's also the reason for the "monetization" strategies you speak of exist.

It's not hard at all to argue baseball is a niche of a video game as pga games. It's not madden or fifa.

As someone who has worked in the games industry, dev costs aren't the main force driving whether AAA games are made. For smaller games, sure. For licensed games like sports titles, it has more to do with licensing agreements with the leagues. You don't see as many competitors for the sports games because the games that remain have built cult-like followings and are that good.

2K brought PGA back with PGA Tour 2K21. It's a solid game
Chase McGuire
This. The Show sells very well on PS each year, and PS has exclusive rights to the MLB brand to publish their game. They'll still be the sole publisher of the game/brand, but the MLB probably saw even more potential money by going cross-platform and required Sony to open up to other consoles in order to maintain that publishing exclusivity.
CAR96
AG
Additional storage for PS5.

I was told by the guys at Best Buy to wait to add storage to the PS5 instead of trying to add external storage now. A software update will allow internal storage to be added. They suggested

SAMSUNG 980 PRO 1TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 Internal Gaming SSD M.2 (MZ-V8P1T0B). $199.

Any cheaper options?
chizadbot
AG
yeah i think i read from Sony that they would make an announcement this summer on compatible hardware so holding off til i hear something. i do have to delete games to add anything new already.
tamusc
AG
It's unlikely that there will be many cheaper options available for a while as they'd have to meet certain performance requirements. Right now I'd bet on the Samsung 980 Pro and the WD Black SN850 (which is also $200 for 1TB) working, but not sure there's much else out there right now that will.
AggiEE
Previews for Returnal are glowing. Just pre ordered

DallasTeleAg
I haven't been following this thread for nearly 5 months. People are still having problems getting a PS5?

Only thing I've played on mine in the last 3 months has been my replay of Bloodborne.
HossAg
AG
It's basically impossible to get that or the Xbox with the chip shortages and scalpers.
AgsWin2011
AG
I have the PS5 and Series X (not bragging). To be honest, I don't see the rush to get one right now. There are almost no new games to play and none coming out anytime soon from what I can tell. I have enjoyed the enhanced graphics, but it's going to be awhile before games come out that take advantage of all the horsepower these machines are packing.
Redstone
AG
I have a wii, GameBoy (slim), and PS2, including most of the Guitar Hero series. Also, wii has GameCube compatibility.
AgShaun00
AG
I am looking at getting a new tv for ps5. after wasting 4k on a DLP when they first came out. I am not big on spending money on tv's. I remember you guys talking about the hdmi2.1

Is this tv a good value or worth upgrading to the OLED?

Samsung q7dt
ChemAg15
AG
The OLED is worth it imo. The colors are just better. I bought a 65" LG C8 back in 2018 and I'm still very happy with the purchase. I see no need to consider upgrading my TV in the next few years.

If you don't get the OLED you run the risk of wanting to upgrade in the near future.
WES2006AG
AG
AgShaun00 said:

I am looking at getting a new tv for ps5. after wasting 4k on a DLP when they first came out. I am not big on spending money on tv's. I remember you guys talking about the hdmi2.1

Is this tv a good value or worth upgrading to the OLED?

Samsung q7dt
The biggest issue that would steer me away from Samsung is that they refuse to include Dolby Vision support on their TVs. DV seems to be the HDR format that looks best and is winning out over HDR10 but Samsung refuses to adopt the standard.

As for OLED, I bought my first one last year and can't imagine going back.
Chase McGuire

If you have a way to watch this in 4k, I highly recommend it. Goodness, those visuals.
AggiEE
Chase McGuire said:

If you have a way to watch this in 4k, I highly recommend it. Goodness, those visuals.

Wow that looks insane. Next gen is here
Chase McGuire
Been following this one for a while because it's made by Housemarque, and I'm a huge Resogun fan. These guys know how to make arcade-y games, and it looks like they've translated that into this weird, third-person shooter/roguelike mash-up.

I haven't seen any negative previews on this in the last week or so, and mostly I've seen people who were indifferent about it being surprised that it's so good. Don't be surprised at any high review scores later this week. Already have it downloaded.
AggiEE
Chase McGuire said:

Been following this one for a while because it's made by Housemarque, and I'm a huge Resogun fan. These guys know how to make arcade-y games, and it looks like they've translated that into this weird, third-person shooter/roguelike mash-up.

I haven't seen any negative previews on this in the last week or so, and mostly I've seen people who were indifferent about it being surprised that it's so good. Don't be surprised at any high review scores later this week. Already have it downloaded.

Yep I pre ordered Returnal after the previews last week came out. Also a big fan of Resogun and SSDHD.

This looks much deeper and more fleshed out than those games and has more traditional appeal. Looks incredibly atmospheric.
kyledr04
AG
ChemAg15 said:

The OLED is worth it imo. The colors are just better. I bought a 65" LG C8 back in 2018 and I'm still very happy with the purchase. I see no need to consider upgrading my TV in the next few years.

If you don't get the OLED you run the risk of wanting to upgrade in the near future.

Bought a lg oled and samsung qled last year. The oled picture and viewing angle is so much better but the Q is still good and cheaper.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Edited: Charger stations sold out.
ChemAg15
AG
Ordered. Thanks
Chase McGuire
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-5/returnal/critic-reviews

Returnal with an 86 on metacritic. Lots of high praise in there.
Chase McGuire
Can confirm Returnal is awesome.
AggiEE
Chase McGuire said:

Can confirm Returnal is awesome.

It's absolutely incredible all around. Having so much fun. Gameplay is addicting.
Not a Bot
AG
Keep missing out on the restocks.
Tabasco
AG
Captain Positivity said:

Keep missing out on the restocks.

Try and stay positive!
XXXVII
Pretty sad that it's May and you still cannot just walk into a store and buy a PS5.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.