PS5

185,554 Views | 1869 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Brock Sampson
Dupree
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's ridiculous that it's been two years and I can't just go to Walmart and buy one
batchuser
Just curious. Does anyone think the shortage is on purpose beyond extending console life? Nintendo seemed to start the trend on console scarcity with the wii. There's nothing better than freaking out consumers and also playing social media with "I have one and you don't". I can recall at least 2 stories around Christmas when people were shot over ps5s. These stories should have been spammed on Sony's social media.
ExPLK
AG
batchuser said:

Just curious. Does anyone think the shortage is on purpose beyond extending console life? Nintendo seemed to start the trend on console scarcity with the wii. There's nothing better than freaking out consumers and also playing social media with "I have one and you don't". I can recall at least 2 stories around Christmas when people were shot over ps5s. These stories should have been spammed on Sony's social media.

Although not certain, I think it has more to do with a combination of supply shortages and people still exploiting the situation for personal gain. I saw a video the other day where a guy had a carload of them (probably 20), which I can only assume he was trying to flip for profit. There is only so many you can get for friends and family.

If you know how to get them, they are pretty easy to snag. However, most people haven't researched the acquisition process enough or care to spend the time needed to obtain one. Either way, it is my opinion that they wouldn't have to do either if people stopped trying to make a profit on flipping them.
Max Power
AG
batchuser said:

No, and for a few reasons:

1) Money. I'm not sure how many would be in circulation if supply and demand were met. If the worldwide market is short by 1 million units x $400 - $500 that is a significant sum. In addition to the units themselves the game market is being negatively impacted.

2) Market share. I'm not sure how easy the new X-Box is to buy compared to the PS5 but for any potential buyer that's on the fence, availability can impact their decision. I was an X-Box player in my younger days, but as an adult I'm firmly in the PS group. Their exclusives are better for the kind of games I enjoy. If you don't know which one you prefer, and the X-Box is easier to get...

3) Contracts/exclusives. Sony has arrangements with developers that could result in strained relationships if the consoles aren't available. They could result in problems today, and down the road. Some games are made for PS4 or 5, but not all of them. The PS5 is likely to showcase the developers on the higher end system. I don't have a PS5 yet so I'm playing Horizon Forbidden West on the PS4, it's a great game, but I know it's a better experience on the PS5. I'm holding off on Gran Turismo 7 until I can get my hands on a PS5.
hph6203
AG
The PS5 was the fastest to 10 million units of any PlayStation console in an environment where everyone is complaining about chip shortages. It's just crazy high demand and a shortage of supply for materials.
jr15aggie
AG
batchuser said:

Just curious. Does anyone think the shortage is on purpose beyond extending console life?

Seems like a terrible strategy if it was. MS is doing very well with the Series consoles and Gamepass is killing it. I seriously doubt Sony is deliberately testing the patience of consumers when their direct competitor has a more readily available console that is a 1:1 match in terms of performance.
PeekingDuck
AG
This is a good point. I was even considering an Xbox for a while with the delays in PS5 availability. Doesn't seem like a real solid strategy.
Max Power
AG
So I got an email this morning from Playstation, more units for sale today. I actually get in there this time only to discover all there are only Horizon Forbidden West bundles. I already have it on PS4, I would have gladly purchased a bundle with a game I wanted like Gran Turismo, Spiderman, etc but I'm not buying a bundle that includes a game I already have.

Pilmer
AG
Sony just announced PS5 in 2023/2024. Glad I was never able to buy a regular ps5
Fenrir
Sony hasn't announced anything that I've seen...am I missing something? I saw a prediction from TCL (not sure why they're predicting mid-gen console upgrades but ok).
Pilmer
AG
Fenrir said:

Sony hasn't announced anything that I've seen...am I missing something? I saw a prediction from TCL (not sure why they're predicting mid-gen console upgrades but ok).
Apologies, wasn't actually Sony that announced it. it was from TCL, so most likely a leak.

Xbox 360 was released in 2005, and the Xbox 360 elite released two years later. It wouldn't completely suprise me to see a PS5 pro 3-4 years after the release of the PS5. This has just been a weird console gen due to chip shortage.
OKCAG02
AG
What is the best way to have a chance to buy a PS5 currently? Do I need to sign up for something or follow certain people on twitter?
PeekingDuck
AG
I would assume it is signing up for Sony's e-mail blasts, but I've been on there for months and nothing so far.
FL_Ag1998
AG
OKCAG02 said:

What is the best way to have a chance to buy a PS5 currently? Do I need to sign up for something or follow certain people on twitter?

Not trying to sound sarcastic but all you have to do is go back 2 to 4 pages and just read this thread. Multiple times people tell you the best way to do it, no sense reposting.
ExPLK
AG
OKCAG02 said:

https://twitter.com/mattswider?s=21&t=GYXrpcg7kt2KmrzyFb15wA
HeavyMetalAg
AG
HOLY CRAP, unless my order gets cancelled, I snagged a Forbidden West bundle on Walmart+ today! The Twitter link mentioned above put out a couple of days ago that they would be making them available at 2pm today. Had to go through the "prove you're not a robot" step about 8 times, but finally got through!
JR Ewing
AG
I have a played twice PS5 I'm looking to sell in BCS. I never have time to play it. Bought it so my son and I could cross play MLB the Show and COD Vanguard across the house together. I'd entertain offers at atm98john@yahoo.com. I also have PS4 1TB I'd part with as well. Make me an offer for both/either. PS5 is disc console version.
OKCAG02
AG
I got a PS5 too with the twitter link using the Walmart+ account. Thanks!
HeavyMetalAg
AG
I'm getting worried about mine. It hasn't moved out of the "Order Placed" status yet, though it does still indicate tomorrow for delivery. Seen any status updates on yours?
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
JR Ewing said:

I have a played twice PS5 I'm looking to sell in BCS. I never have time to play it. Bought it so my son and I could cross play MLB the Show and COD Vanguard across the house together. I'd entertain offers at atm98john@yahoo.com. I also have PS4 1TB I'd part with as well. Make me an offer for both/either. PS5 is disc console version.

MLB the show is great. That's not enough for you to keep it??
Hincemm
AG
HeavyMetalAg said:

I'm getting worried about mine. It hasn't moved out of the "Order Placed" status yet, though it does still indicate tomorrow for delivery. Seen any status updates on yours?
i also got this through W+. it is now showing as "on the way." Should be in nlt thursday. thanks for posting the twitter link.
HeavyMetalAg
AG
I didn't post the link earlier, but had heard of it.

My order has been delayed. So maybe I'll get it…eventually. Hate to think that they over sold their stock, but guessing I'll have to wait until they get their next round of stock to get it delivered.
JR Ewing
AG
Ghost of Bizbee said:

JR Ewing said:

MLB the show is great. That's not enough for you to keep it??

It would be if I had time to play it, but I just don't. I also have difficulty finding time to workout (purely coincidental)...
HeavyMetalAg
AG
Mine finally got delivered on Friday. I ordered the disc version of the console Forbidden West bundle. I figured that would include a disc of the game since I got the disc console, but still just included a download code. Better than not having it at all!
kill0509
AG
Sharing in case any of those lucky enough to have gotten their hands on a PS5 want to expand their memory. SSD w/heatsink for $208+tax.

Link through WD's website.

Bought this exact SSD on sale at ~$270 a month-ish or so ago and thought it was a great price then. They're matching an Amazon prime day sale and this is such a simple plug in and set up memory expansion on the PS5. FYI, most tests done on the PS5 recommend having one with a heat sink especially if you are running games directly from the SSD. Insane price though, on this!

Edit: Cleaned up the url with a hyperlink instead now that I'm not on my phone.
The Lost
Of course today is the day I finally get one, haven't tried in forever, and saw the Sony link pop up, so figured why not.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Finally got in on one through https://direct.playstation.com/en-us/shop-ps5. Two years of fails and boom, finally hit.
boy09
AG
My local Best Buy (Victoria) had 2 disc version Horizon bundles in stock earlier this evening when I went. I really don't want one, but did I screw up by not snagging one? I didn't realize they were still so scarce..
Max Power
AG
I got the email yesterday that I got in for a PS5 direct sale from Sony. Second time I get in and the only options are a digital version, which I don't want, or the disk version only with Horizon Forbidden West. I want a PS5 disk version but I already played that game on PS4, I didn't want to spend $50 for no damn reason. I honestly didn't want to play it again. I played HZD all the way through twice, I wanted to play some other games and I wanted the option to play my other PS4 games on it. All the PS5 disk versions just a console alone were sold out, weak. $50 is a silly reason, but I have stuff to keep me busy until I can get what I want at the appropriate price.
BCSWguru
I was able to add the bundled version to my shopping cart in the Sony store just now.
trickyag
AG
Got mine as well through PlayStation store email today. Disc version bundle was only one available.
atmhockey
AG
NC2001
AG
I registered back in December to purchase a PS5 online, and when I was cleaning out my spam inbox, I noticed the email stating I was selected to purchase a PS5...last week. I wonder if I can reapply to get back into the lottery to be selected...
Max Power
AG
If you're talking about Sony, until you actually buy one you're still on the list, you don't have to re-register.
not hedge
Got my PS5 after two years, man have things changed in gaming since I last had a console (PS3)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.