PS5

183,721 Views | 1869 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Brock Sampson
FightinTexasAg15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like we may get some information this coming Wednesday. At least the price and release date would be nice. They should show off some of the upcoming games too.

evan_aggie
AG
They've already shown off some games and I think the price is likely to be $499 with Blu-ray and $399 for digital only.

Maybe they will do $369 and $469 or something last minute but I think they are already taking a loss on first gen iteration.
tamusc
AG
If the digital only version does end up being $399, that will show a willingness to take a fairly big loss on each console that Sony really hasn't shown the willingness to do in the past. Hoping the Series S at $299 will be enough to convince Sony to hit the $399 price point for the digital only PS5.
BallerStaf2003
AG
I'm thrilled that Xbox released their pricing because now Sony can adjust and maybe cut their price a little bit to match. I am a PlayStation guy all the way so I am really excited. I will probably just get the digital version since I haven't purchased a disc in over five years.
BallerStaf2003
AG
tamusc said:

If the digital only version does end up being $399, that will show a willingness to take a fairly big loss on each console that Sony really hasn't shown the willingness to do in the past. Hoping the Series S at $299 will be enough to convince Sony to hit the $399 price point for the digital only PS5.

I think Xbox is going to piss off a lot of people in the long run. The series S may not be able to keep up with game development as they further untap potential of the next generation. The head guy at infinity Ward even said he could see the Xbox series S as being a big bottle neck that affect the quality of the Xbox X
evan_aggie
AG
I personally hate the Xbox naming. I never was a fan of the console and looking now without knowing the history...I'm like..wait, there is an S...and X...what is series One? One S? Series X S?
BallerStaf2003
AG
evan_aggie said:

I personally hate the Xbox naming. I never was a fan of the console and looking now without knowing the history...I'm like..wait, there is an S...and X...what is series One? One S? Series X S?

I think people underestimate how cool the PS5 controller is going to be. The haptic feedback seems like it could be a game changer.
tamusc
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

tamusc said:

I think Xbox is going to piss off a lot of people in the long run. The series S may not be able to keep up with game development as they further untap potential of the next generation. The head guy at infinity Ward even said he could see the Xbox series S as being a big bottle neck that affect the quality of the Xbox X

The thing that helps the Series S is that the CPU is as powerful as the PS5 CPU and is the same architecture as the Series X, just running at a lower clock speed. The difference in GPU power really comes down to resolution, but it does extra steps in terms of performance optimization.
tamusc
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

evan_aggie said:

I think people underestimate how cool the PS5 controller is going to be. The haptic feedback seems like it could be a game changer.

It's still going to be a hand pain inducing size and layout. I really wish they would offer and offset sticks option. I have an Astro C40 that helped immensely when playing on the PS4, but wish I didn't have to spend hundreds to have a controller that didn't cause pain after a few hours of use.
Max Power
AG
I want a PS5 with Horizon Zero Dawn and Gran Turismo so bad, but I never get to play my PS4 since I've got a 4 year old at the house.
BallerStaf2003
AG
I'm so excited about the horizon zero dawn sequel
Pman17
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

tamusc said:

With xCloud, the Series S could be a window to a Series X in the cloud. If the bottle necking is a huge issue, the Series X may get exclusives if the developers are offered to choose. It's a wild idea, but makes sense to why they put 512GB SSD. That'll fit two next gen games. xCloud could solve that issue.
YouBet
AG
I'm considering getting one of these just so I can play their exclusives. Never owned a Playstation. I assume the 5 will be backwards compatible?
FightinTexasAg15
AG
I believe they have said that it is backwards compatible and they are working on getting as many games as possible to work at launch
fig96
AG
The new consoles have always been compatible a generation back (at least the last few).

I'm the same as a few others, have a PS4 I don't play a ton but I really want to get on a PS5 preorder.

I'm betting on something like 399/499 for the digital and drive based models, I know I should go full digital but I've got a few discs around that I'd still like to play. They're a pain in general though, you've still got to download almost the entire game anyway.
Jim01
AG
I believe it will work with PS4 games but not anything earlier.

I'm definitely am looking at getting a PS5. Haven't had the current gen but my boys are 7 and 10 and love games so I have a good excuse We do have a switch they play a lot.

I'm leaning digital edition since I don't own any PS4 games and only have 3-4 4K movies that I could use it for.
DallasTeleAg
I wish they would adjust the left side joy stick. Setting them level like that is ergonomically inferior. I get that is their "look", but I don't want to have to keep buying after market controllers.
YouBet
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

I believe they have said that it is backwards compatible and they are working on getting as many games as possible to work at launch
I think what I'm looking to play is the Unchartered series.
Fenrir
Ergonomically inferior how? Is your left hand shaped differently from your right hand?
DallasTeleAg
The neutral position for your thumb is where the d-pad is on the left and where the buttons are on the right. It is much more comfortable when the joystick is located where it is on the xbox and switch controller locations.

Argue with it all you want, but you have to make more of an effort to put your thumb on the left joystick of a PS4 controller than you do the others. This is why so many 3rd party controllers are made the other way.
Fenrir
Sounds like neither are ergonomic then since most games rely on use of both sticks and the one that has them at the same level has them in the wrong spots
DallasTeleAg
You are exhausting.

When playing most games with movement controls, you are generally always putting more force on the left side to move and less on the right to pan. Also, the buttons on the right are much more commonly pressed.

But, by all means, continue to fan boy about the Playstation controllers...
Fenrir
I'm fanboying because I'm questioning the logic of ergonomics where one hand wants a stick higher than the other? Ok...

Reality is that certain game types use different parts of the controller primarily so any attempt to say one way is more ergonomic than the other by default is simply a type of "faboyism" if you will.
Saxsoon
AG
I can't say I have ever gotten hand cramps playing with a playstation controller.
evan_aggie
AG
java94
AG
So... Who's going to sell me their perfectly fine PS4 after they get a new PS5?
Broncos
How much you offering?
BallerStaf2003
AG
I'll sell you my PS4 for $50 and you pay shipping costs. Always willing to help another Ag.
java94
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

I'll sell you my PS4 for $50 and you pay shipping costs. Always willing to help another Ag.

Any details? Model? Condition? Number of controllers? Approximate shipping cost to CS (77845)? I will primarily use it for dvd/blu-ray.

ETA: use FedEx as Amazon has UPS and USPS fubar in CS.
The Fife
evan_aggie said:

Yeah that's a mess, I had to google it just now to figure out what they're doing.

I'll get a PS5 at some point, probably when the pro version or whatever comes out. My backlog is already big enough as it is and I want to play through the massive collection my brother had.
BallerStaf2003
AG
I'm in Los Angeles. It's a PlayStation 4 pro so its specs are a bit higher. I have two controllers that I just bought recently bc unfortunately, controllers break often.
Furlock Bones
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

The neutral position for your thumb is where the d-pad is on the left and where the buttons are on the right. It is much more comfortable when the joystick is located where it is on the xbox and switch controller locations.

Argue with it all you want, but you have to make more of an effort to put your thumb on the left joystick of a PS4 controller than you do the others. This is why so many 3rd party controllers are made the other way.
biggest problem with Playstation has always been the poor joystick locations. but, they are married to it and refuse to change. sucks.
Halibut
AG
Everyone's different. I've never had a problem with the placement of the thumb sticks. The DS4 is probably the most comfortable controller I've ever used.

It does suck that controllers are getting more expensive though. With all the haptic stuff I wouldn't be surprised if the DS5 will be $80. If you need one with offset sticks, a 3rd party controller or adapter is going to be really expensive this next generation.
third
AG
I couldn't disagree more. I perfer the ps4 controller because of the layout. I find the xbox controller layout really uncomfortable.
DallasTeleAg
Be careful saying stuff like that on this thread! It's apparently wrong to have preferences!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.