*****OFFICIAL DESTINY XB-1 THREAD*****

357,522 Views | 3140 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by LPHA
howdydamnit04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just picked up the Timepiece in the raid. Of course it is after I finish Nighfall.
Bryan98
AG
quote:
Raid Gauntlets dropped last night for me while running Normal Mode. Now all I need is the boots. Cmon RNGesus.

Congrats! Here's hoping we both get boots tonight.

Jon - You said that you get better drops as you gear up; I don't think that's true. I think the loot table changes as you level up, but once you hit 20, I think it's totally determined by the activity you're doing + RNG, and unlike what you said, isn't affected by putting on a piece of Legendary armor.
TexasAggie_02
AG
the loot table definitely changes. when you are a low level, almost all engrams are white or green. once you reach a certain point, they switch to green and blue (and sometimes purple).
FriendlyAg
It's just that simple?

I started the game yesterday and I'm almost an 11... Gotta love bank holidays. I played the main story through like 6 then I grinded on the moon doing bounties and public events.
howdydamnit04
AG
If you want to level up quickly me sure you do the story on Hard.
FriendlyAg
quote:
If you want to level up quickly me sure you do the story on Hard.

How do I go back and change this? It's on normal right now I believe
howdydamnit04
AG
Before you launch click normal and you have the option to change to hard.
JonLobb
quote:
quote:
Raid Gauntlets dropped last night for me while running Normal Mode. Now all I need is the boots. Cmon RNGesus.

Congrats! Here's hoping we both get boots tonight.

Jon - You said that you get better drops as you gear up; I don't think that's true. I think the loot table changes as you level up, but once you hit 20, I think it's totally determined by the activity you're doing + RNG, and unlike what you said, isn't affected by putting on a piece of Legendary armor.
I still think that the loot table keeps changes after 20. I'm not judging by what drops in strikes or missions, those drops seems to be largely determined by the level of the activity. I'm more judging by the crucible and patrol rewards/drops. I'm without a doubt getting higher level gear more consistently as a 28 then I did as a 22 or 24. I don't think it has to do with the legendary, per say, but more with the level bump that comes from that legendary. When I got my first legendary all of my other gear was as high level as possible without being legendary, so that 1 piece of legendary was a sizable increase in light.

I suspect that the loot table changes again at least around 25.
jarAGGIE05
AG
JDAggie and I (JRyder05) are planning on doing the raid on normal tonight around 9:00 or 9:30 pm. Would love to get as many Aggies in the group as possible.

Keeping my fingers crossed for my first piece of raid gear for my hunter. I couldn't help but smile reading comments on RNG, because it is frustrating. I haven't run the raid a bunch on my hunter (3, I think) but I haven't gotten a raid gear drop. However, on my Titan, I got the boots and chest in my first run, my gauntlets around my 5th, and my helm on my first real run on hard mode. I also got the mythoclast on the first time JDAggie06 and I pushed Atheon off the ledge after someone gave us the Atheon checkpoint.
FriendlyAg
quote:
Before you launch click normal and you have the option to change to hard.

Good to know. I have found it fairly easy so far. I would assume that this just generates higher xp per kill and total mission, but the trade off is that it might take longer?
AggieChemE09
AG
Same XP per kill I think. Higher XP reward at the end for completing the mission. Try hard, if it slow you down at all I would stay at normal difficulties. 25% more XP while taking twice as long isn't a good trade off in my opinion.
Bryan98
AG
JarAggie: If you want to try to plan a hard mode run some time in advance, let us know. At this point I feel like a group with, say, 2 30s and 4 29s has to have all six people who know everything about the Atheon fight cold. I have a number of those on my team, and sometimes run with one 30 who is a raid leader and relic bearer in his group.
htownag08
AG
So the best thing to focus on right now (as a level 25) is the bounties? I have been trying to do the level 24 strikes, got purple sniper rifle and boots so far through that. I will look for Xur (?) this weekend - although thats usually the hardest time for me to play. I will look for the helm this weekend.
herb96
AG
My PUG group last night was terrible. I think they were all high.
herb96
AG
If you're low 20's, do the daily mission and do 1 public event to start accumulating shards and energy. Buy legendary armor from the vanguard or crucible rep, then level that up by competing bounties.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
So the best thing to focus on right now (as a level 25) is the bounties? I have been trying to do the level 24 strikes, got purple sniper rifle and boots so far through that. I will look for Xur (?) this weekend - although thats usually the hardest time for me to play. I will look for the helm this weekend.
do bounties and the tiger strike playlist. best way to get vanguard rank up.

Others have stated to forget about factions, i disagree. The reason is that you can only get 100 marks per week, and can only carry 200 total.

Once you get to rank 3 on vanguard, get your hundred marks, then switch to a faction. You need crucible credit to buy from the factions, but its not that hard to accumulate. You get 2 marks for losing, and 3 for winning, and you can get rep from patrol/strikes/bounties etc if you have the faction item equipped.

If you get your faction to rank 3, you can get armor from them as well. This gives you twice the opportunities/week to buy legendary armor.

When the week resets on tuesday, switch back to your vanguard item, max it out, then switch to the faction again.
Bryan98
AG
If you're going to play that much Crucible, get Crucible rep instead of a faction. The Crucible vendor has two or three times as many weapons to choose from, including a handy void fusion rifle.
AggieChemE09
AG
quote:
including a handy void fusion rifle.
That and a Arc primary and I think I would have every weapon that I want
Tex117
AG
quote:

You need to be acquiring Legendary gear from the Vanguard (or faction depending on what you did earlier). Vanguard rank 2, and marks. Buy legendary, level it up.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
If you're going to play that much Crucible, get Crucible rep instead of a faction. The Crucible vendor has two or three times as many weapons to choose from, including a handy void fusion rifle.
that will work too, just don't stick with vanguard. there are weekly caps for vanguard/faction/crucible. You are wasting your time if you've maxed one out and don't switch, you are throwing virtual money away.
Bryan98
AG
quote:
quote:
that will work too, just don't stick with vanguard. there are weekly caps for vanguard/faction/crucible. You are wasting your time if you've maxed one out and don't switch, you are throwing virtual money away.

Repping up a faction doesn't help that - and there's no cap on rep gain in a week, just for Marks. If you hit 100 Vanguard Marks and then put on a faction item and keep playing PvE, you'll now earn faction rep, and would earn Vanguard Marks, but you're already capped. The "gain" in this case would come from playing Crucible and getting Crucible Marks.

There is no weekly cap on factions, as factions have no marks - they only take Crucible marks.

The average player should hit Vanguard rank 3 before they ever even consider their other reputations. A heavy PvPer should hit Crucible rank 3, perhaps, to get a good selection of weapons as quickly as possible. Most everyone I've played with is trying to gear up for the raid as fast as possible, and that's generally Vanguard.

Factions are for people who are hell-bent on a certain weapon, shader, emblem, etc. They are for people who are probably already 28+ and know exactly what they want and why they want it.
Bryan98
AG
quote:
quote:

You need to be acquiring Legendary gear from the Vanguard (or faction depending on what you did earlier). Vanguard rank 2, and marks. Buy legendary, level it up.

This. And for the love of pete, don't worry about the stats on the Legendary stuff so much that you buy a different piece of armor for the same slot - your goal is to shard vendor legendaries as fast as possible because you've replaced them with raid gear.

I wasted a ton of time that I could have been raiding by repping up Future War Cult because I liked their boots slightly better than Vanguard's. I could have been raiding at least a week earlier, maybe two, had I gone straight Vanguard. Now, ironically, I'm still wearing those damn boots because RNG.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
Repping up a faction doesn't help that - and there's no cap on rep gain in a week, just for Marks.

I know that

quote:
The "gain" in this case would come from playing Crucible and getting Crucible Marks.

Yes, i said that

quote:
The average player should hit Vanguard rank 3 before they ever even consider their other reputations.

Yes, I also said this.

Once you get to Vanguard rank 3, and have the weekly max marks, you should focus on a faction or crucible. if you get the marks and rep for multiple vendors, then you now have the ability to buy more armor in a single week, which will level you up faster.

The original question was how to level up. I answered it. Somehow i was wrong?
htownag08
AG
Damnit - early on I joined that Dead Orbit or whatever. I can check on my progress with them when I get home - better to drop them and go vanguard or stick with it for now?
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
Damnit - early on I joined that Dead Orbit or whatever. I can check on my progress with them when I get home - better to drop them and go vanguard or stick with it for now?
  • if you are close to rank 3
  • and play a lot of crucible
I would stick it out so that you can purchase gear from them. If you don't play any crucible, then cut your losses and go with vanguard.
TexasAggie_02
AG
also, after rank 3 on vanguard/faction/crucible you get "care packages" from the postmaster than can have weapons/engrams in them. so you do get something for leveling up rank. sometimes they are legendary, most of the time they are rare.
Bryan98
AG
quote:
quote:

Well, this bit was wrong, clearly, wasn't it?

We can agree to disagree on everything else.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

i was referring to marks. once you hit the vanguard cap, start working on a faction or crucible. the faction and crucible quartermaster both take crucible marks, there is a weekly cap.

we can keep nitpicking back and forth, the point is to not stay on vanguard all week, b/c you can double up your chances of buying armor. I prefer factions b/c of the boost the armor gives. Plus, i can earn faction rep by doing vanguard OR crucible bounties, and by doing patrol, strikes, etc. I can only rank up the crucible quartermaster by playing crucible and crucible bounties.

The original question was leveling up via armor. The fastest way to get armor is to do vanguard and faction. The faction can be ranked up through PvE or PvP.
JonLobb
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

i was referring to marks. once you hit the vanguard cap, start working on a faction or crucible. the faction and crucible quartermaster both take crucible marks, there is a weekly cap.

we can keep nitpicking back and forth, the point is to not stay on vanguard all week, b/c you can double up your chances of buying armor. I prefer factions b/c of the boost the armor gives. Plus, i can earn faction rep by doing vanguard OR crucible bounties, and by doing patrol, strikes, etc. I can only rank up the crucible quartermaster by playing crucible and crucible bounties.

The original question was leveling up via armor. The fastest way to get armor is to do vanguard and faction. The faction can be ranked up through PvE or PvP.
this.

especially if you want to get gear through rep leveling rewards. Crucible and Vanguard rep are much slower. You can go from 0 to level 3 in a faction in less than a week.

Get to level 3 in crucible or vanguard as quickly as possible, then pick a faction and stick to it. You should be able to level it every few days, almost twice as fast as vanguard or crucible.
htownag08
AG
I did do a lot of crucible, but now that COD is out, that will be my pvp of choice.

As far as faction - Just checked and am just under enough to hit level two with dead orbit - so I'll go straight vanguard, but what do I need to do to stop getting the credit with dead orbit now? I have their cloak on, but not sure.

Sorry for all the questions, game is way more intense than I thought! I appreciate all the help!
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
I did do a lot of crucible, but now that COD is out, that will be my pvp of choice.

As far as faction - Just checked and am just under enough to hit level two with dead orbit - so I'll go straight vanguard, but what do I need to do to stop getting the credit with dead orbit now? I have their cloak on, but not sure.

Sorry for all the questions, game is way more intense than I thought! I appreciate all the help!

Just swap their cloak with a cloak from the vanguard, or an engram.
bearamedic99
AG
nothing says go play/buy a different game like a ridiculously long update during my available time.
GigEmAggies06
AG
quote:
Man, was so pumped to be able to finally play on XboxOne only to realize I am still way under-leveled. I will continue to run the level 24 strikes and try to get a few more gear pieces and then hopefully can get to 28 and do some of the bigger stuff. I also need to figure out what I need to purchase from the seller dude on the weekends.

Thanks for the invite last night - hopefully i can join in soon!
I completed two raids yesterday with PUGs with 28/29's plus a lvl 25. Enemies scale for normal mode from 25 up to 28 so a 25 can easily pull their own weight for the first half of the raid and a solid team can help carry them through the finish. I'd be willing to help run you through whenever you feel like you're ready. GT: JDAggie06
htownag08
AG
I may take you up on that! I just got to 25 last night - and am doing what yall suggest with knocking out bounties/daily and then i'm just trying to run strikes to get that vanguard rep up. I'll be pretty out of commission tonight/Saturday due to Aggie Football, but i'm hoping to get some quality time in Sunday night.
Saxsoon
AG
Disappointed in Xur today. Don't do Handcannons, though I may give it a whirl for the poops and giggles. Just hard to use a primary Exotic when all of my secondaries are exotic. Already got voidfang from the nightfall this week. Just need a damn helmet!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.