*****OFFICIAL DESTINY XB-1 THREAD*****

356,134 Views | 3140 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by LPHA
AggieKatie2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Afterl1fe I fat fingered the party invite which is why I couldn't talk. Please resend both and I'll join.
IntercooledAggie
I'm back up
AggieChemE09
AG
Almost got crota guys! Get those ice breakers and gear lvl'd and he'll be easy next week!
htownag08
AG
Hoping to run the nightfall and such tonight if anyone is interested.

Also random question, what makes Ice Breaker that much of a game changer? Just curious!
LPHA
AG
quote:

Also random question, what makes Ice Breaker that much of a game changer? Just curious!
It's got one of the best "pew pew" sounds in the game.
Agmaniacmike12
High damage model + ammo that refills without needing drops. I can run strikes twice as fast with it now because it is a sniper that doesn't require green ammo to use.
Bryan98
AG
quote:

I will offer the controversial opinion that, while good, it's not quite as awesome as its reputation. Gjallarhorn, on the other hand, is everything you could want in a rocket launcher.

Icebreaker hits hard and regens ammo, which is very, very useful - particularly on an encounter like Crota where the person handling boomers won't need a ton of ammo at any one time, but will need it repeatedly throughout the fight. The regen means that the ammo is there every time you need it.

On a fight like the tank boss on the Mars Strike, you'd spend a lot of time waiting on Icebreaker to regen ammo, because it's kind of slow to do so and there's only one thing you're shooting at the entire fight (not to mention that the White Nail perk on the new raid sniper makes it preferable for this encounter). Also, Icebreaker kicks like a mule, meaning it takes a long time to re-aim between shots.

I did Crota last week and we ended up with a fellow on Boomer duty who didn't have an Icebreaker, and ammo was a real issue for him. He was always limited by his special ammo synth's cooldown.

Imho, Icebreaker is an extremely useful tool, especially on Strikes with Juggler, but it doesn't change the game.
tamusc
AG
It does indeed change the game because its range, high damage and ammo regen allow you work through encounters outside of the normal parameters. You can try to do similar things with other weapons, but you'll burn through ammo packs.

Black Hammer is an interesting weapon and is preferable to Ice Breaker in certain instances. You have to be in a situation with guaranteed precision shots though for that to work though and the tank on the Mars strike is a perfect example of that.

I do agree that the recoil on Ice Breaker is pretty rough, but it would be even more OP if you didn't have that to slow down the fire rate.
ClickClack
AG
Icebreaker changed my life.
AggieChemE09
AG
Ice Breaker is love, Ice Breaker is life.
Tex117
AG
IceBreaker is indeed a game changer. It does, however, have its limitations. It does kick like a mule. The regan isn't super fast (I mean, it shouldnt be).

What it does is that it allows you to sit back in safe spots and snipe until you are tired of sniping.

That said, I've migrated away from using icebreaker on every load out just to use some other guns and different builds.

Black Hammer is an excellent alternative. LDR is excellent. Patience and Time is also excellent in its own way. There are some really great snipers out there.
htownag08
AG
Interesting notes. I'll have to keep grinding and hope for it in a drop - since I was out of town all this weekend and couldn't purchase it. Right now I have three legendary snipers almost all at 331, but that ammo perk is awesome. I was curious as to why in those crota situations people were looking for IceBreakers specifically, and that makes a lot of sense now - in regards to ammo.
tamusc
AG
Yup, you can clear the boomers and then be back at full ammo before more walk out.
TheVarian
AG
quote:

I'm game. What time were you thinking?
bearamedic99
AG
Is Crota's End on hard, lvl 31 or 32? I FINALLY made it to 31
AggieChemE09
AG
I believe it is 33, with enemies at the end of the raid being 34.

I don't think there will be any revives either.

They will probably add in a few mechanics in like they did with VoG. Expect random Oversouls to happen, not just when someone dies in crota.

We will know more soon. But I would be interested in creating a team for thursday or friday night with my fellow 32s. Fedaykin?
Bryan98
AG
Oh, Thursday or Friday? I can't this week; PAX. I'll be ready to hit it hard next week, in that case.
Bryan98
AG
Btw, what are the best 331 Heavy Weapons that are available from vendors? I'd kill for a decent RL with tracking, or a strong HMG. Have tons of commendations and Marks.
htownag08
AG
I was thinking around 7:30 or 8pm central.
dcaggie04
AG
quote:

If you need another, I'm in. Got a couple of bounties tied to weeklies.
Raggy09
AG
If anyone still wants to run nightfall/whatever else round 9:30 or so tonight, I'll be down.
TheVarian
AG
quote:
I was thinking around 7:30 or 8pm central.
Purrrrrfect. I need to do some work and that is just enough time to watch some Netflix while I do it. Almost done with Eureka
bearamedic99
AG
quote:

33? How do you get to lvl 33? Do I need to collect raid gear from Crota's End? Except for my exotic helm, all of my gear has a max light of 33. I don't think I can reach 32 with my current gear.
Bryan98
AG
quote:
quote:

33? How do you get to lvl 33? Do I need to collect raid gear from Crota's End? Except for my exotic helm, all of my gear has a max light of 33. I don't think I can reach 32 with my current gear.

Yes, you need to do normal mode before Hard.
htownag08
AG
Looking for one more for weekly stuff. Name in XBox is TNilli
dcaggie04
AG
I'm on, send me an invite.

debt2society
bearamedic99
AG
Any interest in an earlier start tonight? I cannot stay up as late as last night (east coast).
TheVarian
AG
quote:
Any interest in an earlier start tonight? I cannot stay up as late as last night (east coast).

For Crota or VoG?
bearamedic99
AG
either though some of us got stuck at the templar on VoG hard
htownag08
AG
I could do an earlier run tonight. I've never done VoG on hard but I think I may be able to hold up! TNilli
Agmaniacmike12
I'm down for another VOG run tonight. We actually got a couple of guys from LFG last night and finished it up last night so we'll have to start from the beginning.
herb96
AG
I have an Oracle checkpoint save for hard mode.
AggieChemE09
AG
Watch some guys streaming the HM Crota's End. They were able to complete the abyss and bridge without wiping.

Notes
  • Permadeath is a thing, as expected
  • Cursed Thrall in Abyss have Yellow Health Bar now
  • Quantity of Enemies is increased
  • Health of Ogres at the end of the Abyss is really high, the guy apparently shot 2 Gjallahorn shots and only took an ogre down 30%
  • The totems react alot faster if people are not on the side plates during bridge, no real grace period anymore.
I stopped watching after the bridge part. They were all 32, had 2 titans, warlocks and hunters. They were all rocking either Gjallahorns or Song of ir Yuts as Heavies. Suros Regimes as primaries (for the health regen). It looks tougher, but not impossible.
howdydamnit04
AG
From Reddit:

Changes to the fight:
No revives at all.
All enemies are 33.
The Abyss Ogres and Cursed Thralls are Majors (Yellow bar).
The Bridge has the same enemy modifications as the Abyss. Thralls appear not to be flinching from damage (can somebody confirm the no flinching?).
Ir Yut is the same enemy mods as Abyss. On Invigorate's run, the Wizard either regenned some health or there was a glitch on her health. Can somebody confirm?
Crota has the biggest changes by far, biggest is no chalice.
To take Crota, you have to kill Swordbearer and then a Gatekeeper knight that is spawning from the middle room (see edit below, Gatekeeper can be ignored).
There is a Major Wizard spawning to the left of Crota that bodyguards him.
Boomer Knights and all Knights in Crota are Majors.
PRIMARY WEAPONS DROPPING FROM ALL MAJOR PHASES

EDIT: Looks like Gatekeeper does not need to be down to take Crota. Sounds like Triplewreck (first group to finish I hear) took left strat and ignored Gatekeepers.
EDIT 2: The shader is neon blueish-aqua.
EDIT 3: Thralls not flinching confirmed. (from /u/huntermthws)
EDIT 4: No further confirmation of Ir Yut regen of health, looks like the Invigorate experience was a glitch?
EDIT 5: From /u/thienv: Sounds like the Wizard spawns instead of the Bridge Knight any further confirmation?
EDIT 6: From /u/ADHR: Three Shriekers in Thrallway and they can respawn. EDIT EDIT1: Now hearing there are not three? Any confirms?
Tex117
AG
Really, there aren't that many changes. Being 32 is pretty much a requirement for the average raid player.

Left strategy is now pretty much THE strategy. Invograte found this out the hard way as they used the middle strategy and were getting wrecked by the now spawning gatekeepers.

Also, you have to fight ogres from the right as Crota cycles to the left when ogres are up.

The wizard is the major change instead of the bridge knight. This really becomes a problem when one spawns when the swordbearer is going to work on Crota. That wizard will blast him.

I think the strategy is to have one guy on boomers full time spotting, but when they spawn along with the wizard, two guys need to join him takign them down fast.

Lastly, taking down the swordbearer must be done quickly.

In other words, its almost like this entire fight has been relgated to a DPS check. Everything has to be done really fast. Ghorns, icebreakers/black hammers, are going to be the optimal loadouts. As for primaries, it seems most teams were running Fatebringer or the Saterinne Rapier (crucible scout).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.