*****OFFICIAL DESTINY XB-1 THREAD*****

356,145 Views | 3140 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by LPHA
howdydamnit04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The first expansion to Destiny, The Dark Below, will launch on December 9, Activision revealed today. The Dark Below takes players below the surface of the moon to compete in new missions and blast through story quests that reveal The Hive's sinister plans to summon a god known as Crota. Which sounds a little too similar to "crouton" for us to be too worried about its desire to destroy Earth. The Dark Below will cost $20 on its own or can be obtained by purchasing Destiny's Expansion Pass, a $35 ticket to both The Dark Below and an upcoming expansion.

The Dark Below raises the game's level cap to 32 and adds five bounty slots as well as new weapons and gear, including legendary and exotic items. It also features three competitive arenas Pantheon, Skyshock and The Cauldron as well as the cooperative strike mission The Will of Crota and the six-player raid mission Crota's End. PS4 and PS3 players will have access to The Undying Mind, a strike mission that will be exclusive to PlayStation platforms until "at least fall 2015." The expansion was announced during Sony's Gamescom press conference in August. Descriptions of the expansion's content, though determined to not be final at the time, were leaked in September.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/10/29/the-dark-below-expands-destiny-on-december-9/?onswipe_redirect=never
Thunder18
AG
quote:
The first expansion to Destiny, The Dark Below, will launch on December 9, Activision revealed today. The Dark Below takes players below the surface of the moon to compete in new missions and blast through story quests that reveal The Hive's sinister plans to summon a god known as Crota. Which sounds a little too similar to "crouton" for us to be too worried about its desire to destroy Earth. The Dark Below will cost $20 on its own or can be obtained by purchasing Destiny's Expansion Pass, a $35 ticket to both The Dark Below and an upcoming expansion.

The Dark Below raises the game's level cap to 32 and adds five bounty slots as well as new weapons and gear, including legendary and exotic items. It also features three competitive arenas Pantheon, Skyshock and The Cauldron as well as the cooperative strike mission The Will of Crota and the six-player raid mission Crota's End. PS4 and PS3 players will have access to The Undying Mind, a strike mission that will be exclusive to PlayStation platforms until "at least fall 2015." The expansion was announced during Sony's Gamescom press conference in August. Descriptions of the expansion's content, though determined to not be final at the time, were leaked in September.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/10/29/the-dark-below-expands-destiny-on-december-9/?onswipe_redirect=never

Another month of the same boring missions over and over, yay!
howdydamnit04
AG
But but but... 5 more bounty slots.
JonLobb
I seem to be stuck at Level 24. The last drop I got that was an improvement was a long time ago.

I'm grinding for rep and marks right now, depending on the vangard bounties that are available I may be able to get to Level 2 tonight, i'm sitting at 1600 in Level 1 right now, and I'll have enough marks for 1 piece of vangard armor.

On crucible I have over 100 marks and I'm just shy of Level 1 with Future War (their buffs are better for my style).

What SHOULD I be doing right now to get better gear? My grind for the last few days has been all the bounties, the daily heroic, then the daily crucible type.
tamusc
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Energy is really much more valuable in the end-game setup. There's really not much of a point to shards once you have your raid gear leveled up. Energy is much more important so that you can have a variety of high level weapons to suit the weekly nightfall modifiers.
I do understand that, but it doesn't help when I'm stuck at 1 light below 28 because I keep getting energy and nothing else. I've been running the heck out of public events too and still have a tough time getting shards. Every piece of gear I have is maxed other than the shard upgrades. My exotic gloves are maxed and my legendary chest has one shard upgrade. I've been stuck at three shards for a few days now.

Are you running the Daily Heroic Story every day? On the two highest difficulties it gives either 1 or 2 Shards or Energy.

Another thing you can do is create an alt for running Public Events a second time a day, if you're desperate enough. And every time you gold a public event, you have a random shot at a shard right then and there, in addition to your care package for the first gold of the day - but it sounds like you knew that.

I agree the system can be frustrating, and a lot of things are poorly designed. Good luck!
I've been running the heroic dailies on 28 every day for a week and just keep getting energy. Same goes for the public events. I'm sure it will pay off later, but it sure is frustrating now.
tamusc
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Energy is really much more valuable in the end-game setup. There's really not much of a point to shards once you have your raid gear leveled up. Energy is much more important so that you can have a variety of high level weapons to suit the weekly nightfall modifiers.
I do understand that, but it doesn't help when I'm stuck at 1 light below 28 because I keep getting energy and nothing else. I've been running the heck out of public events too and still have a tough time getting shards. Every piece of gear I have is maxed other than the shard upgrades. My exotic gloves are maxed and my legendary chest has one shard upgrade. I've been stuck at three shards for a few days now.
What I've been doing lately to get shards is get alot of vanguard marks. once you are level 2 vanguard, you can by legendary armor. I just buy something 65 marks then trash it. I can get at least 2 shards even if I never do any upgrading to it.
Not a bad idea even though I've been buying legendary weapons with the marks. At this point I need the shards more than the special or heavy weapons.
howdydamnit04
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
What I've been doing lately to get shards is get alot of vanguard marks. once you are level 2 vanguard, you can by legendary armor. I just buy something 65 marks then trash it. I can get at least 2 shards even if I never do any upgrading to it.
Not a bad idea even though I've been buying legendary weapons with the marks. At this point I need the shards more than the special or heavy weapons.

I hate crucible so I have up on the factions and use all my bounties toward vanguard. You will junk the faction gear as soon as you get raid gear anyways so might as well level up asap so you can get the raid gear. Fastest way for that is bounties and vanguard strikes to get your vanguard armor.
tamusc
AG
I haven't done a ton of Crucible stuff either, mostly due to time.

I have the legendary chest and helm from the Queen's Bounty event, the Sunbreaker exotic gloves from Xur and raid boots. I've hit the 100 mark cap every week, so getting the marks isn't an issue. Rather than saving my marks for Vanguard weapons, I'll buy three or four pieces of Vanguard gear to blow up to hopefully get the last few shards to at least get me to 28 (and possibly to 29 if I get lucky).
Bryan98
AG
quote:
I seem to be stuck at Level 24. The last drop I got that was an improvement was a long time ago.

I'm grinding for rep and marks right now, depending on the vangard bounties that are available I may be able to get to Level 2 tonight, i'm sitting at 1600 in Level 1 right now, and I'll have enough marks for 1 piece of vangard armor.

On crucible I have over 100 marks and I'm just shy of Level 1 with Future War (their buffs are better for my style).

What SHOULD I be doing right now to get better gear? My grind for the last few days has been all the bounties, the daily heroic, then the daily crucible type.

What you SHOULD do, assuming you're gearing up for the raid:

Don't expect any more drops that improve your gear until you do the Nightfall and/or the Raid. You're done with drops for now. It's all about vendor gear for you.

Break up with Future War Cult and never look back. Thank god you wasted less time than me.

Focus on either Vanguard or Crucible for buying legendary chest, gloves, and boots. Stop believing Bungie cares about your playstyle (I've heard this a couple times today. Ha!) and just buy the gear without Strength on it, because Strength is nearly useless for PvE. Light is all that matters. More auto-rifle ammo is a nice perk that isn't worth wasting a week or more grinding rep to get.

Do the level 22 Weekly Heroic Strike for the Strange Coins once per week, and as quickly as you can, move up to the 26 and then the 28. Save up 13 Strange Coins for an exotic helm from Xur. Max out the upgrades on it.

Hope this helps! I'm happy to clarify anything.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
quote:
Do the level 22 Weekly Heroic Strike for the Strange Coins once per week, and as quickly as you can, move up to the 26 and then the 28.

Or just do the 28 once, and get 9 coins.
Bryan98
AG
He's level 24. I don't think he's doing the 28 yet.
TexasAggie_02
AG
oops, oh yeah.

well if he has friends that don't mind, they could drag him through it. Or do you have to be at the correct level for the weekly?
herb96
AG
I think you can be up to 3 levels below, so lv. 25.
JonLobb
quote:
quote:

What you SHOULD do, assuming you're gearing up for the raid:

Don't expect any more drops that improve your gear until you do the Nightfall and/or the Raid. You're done with drops for now. It's all about vendor gear for you.

Break up with Future War Cult and never look back. Thank god you wasted less time than me.

Focus on either Vanguard or Crucible for buying legendary chest, gloves, and boots. Stop believing Bungie cares about your playstyle (I've heard this a couple times today. Ha!) and just buy the gear without Strength on it, because Strength is nearly useless for PvE. Light is all that matters. More auto-rifle ammo is a nice perk that isn't worth wasting a week or more grinding rep to get.

Do the level 22 Weekly Heroic Strike for the Strange Coins once per week, and as quickly as you can, move up to the 26 and then the 28. Save up 13 Strange Coins for an exotic helm from Xur. Max out the upgrades on it.

Hope this helps! I'm happy to clarify anything.
I don't understand. All of the armor that the Future Cult vendor sells is +intellect and +discipline, all of the armor that the Crucible vendor sells is +intellect and +strength, and all else seems equal. What am I missing?
Bryan98
AG
The only stat you should care about is Light. How much Light can you get, and how fast can you get it. For most, the fastest path is straight Vanguard.
Aggie_3
I got kicked out of VOG 2 times last night so frustrating
Bryan98
AG
Hey, I have an open spot for my irl friends group raid tonight. 4/6 are Aggies. We had 3 VoG virgins last week and still cleared it in 3 hours. Hope to do much better tonight. XB1, 8:10pm Central.

If you're interested please give me your gamertag, class, and level. Do please know that I also listed this on another gaming forum. Thanks!
AggieChemE09
AG
count me in
Bryan98
AG
Awesome. You're The After1ife, right? I'll invite to party as soon after 8pm as I can.
Saxsoon
AG
bryan, I have to disagree with you. If you use your super and grenade, you do not want to get armor that focuses on strength if it is the armor you will take into the raid. Having a quick respawn on your abilities that you want is important.
Saxsoon
AG
And

Strength-melee
discipline-grenades
intellect - super
Bryan98
AG
Well, you've convinced me to go back in time and tell people to ignore Strength in the first place!

In other words, check my post again.
AggieChemE09
AG
quote:
Awesome. You're The After1ife, right? I'll invite to party as soon after 8pm as I can.

Yeah that's me. I will be on like, exactly at 810. Running a quick errand for my sister and heading home right now
Bryan98
AG
No worries, I may be a few minutes late in getting my kids to bed.
Saxsoon
AG
I said having quick respawn on your abilities is important, not specifically strength. I just used that as an example because you did. My buddies run New Monarchy as hunters and wreck shop still. If you want Strength, but are not seeing armor come your way that has it (but gets you to the light you need) I would say hold off.
bearamedic99
AG
I finally got to go most of the way through the VoG with a group from Destinylfg.net led by a very nice, patient, and educative lvl 30 player. I had to quit during Atheon sadly due to a prior commitment. I did get some shards, the prime zealot gloves, and the heavy machine gun corrective measures. Lucky. We also had people get dropped during the VoG including myself. I have to say, sneaking past the Gorgons was the most annoying and frustrating portion, followed by Atheon himself.
Bryan98
AG
A big thanks to AggieChemE09 for filling in for our missing raid member tonight! Our official time was 1hr24min, which was an improvement of over an hour from our first week. That despite tons of Atheon bugs, including teleporting people to different planets simultaneously. No wipes until Gatekeepers, either. We got them on our 2nd or 3rd try, and when we finally got Atheon it was in 3 portal phases.

I didn't get the raid boots or Atheon's Epilogue, but I did get my third choice, Vision of Confluence. Looking forward to seeing what it can do.
Thunder18
AG
Made it to aetheon last night and should have beat him but on the last warp he took 4 people to 2 separate planets so it really messed up our one good run at him...i HATE the random teleportation...we had some guys who just couldnt get anything done when they got sent through
Aggie_3
Ran it last night with Eyeguy and the random teleportation has made it almost impossible to beat.
cr0wbar
AG
lol- teleporting to different planets? Like Mars or the Moon?

I guess that's ONE way Atheon can say "GTFO"
Bryan98
AG
No, but we would get one guy teleported to Venus, three to Mars, and two left back.

The random teleporting really wasn't a problem for us, just the bugs. Your group needs at least three people who are comfortable holding the relic; there is only a 5 percent chance none of them get teleported. Now, we did hit on that 5 percent last night, but only once.

We are by no means a pro group, but I think our lowest was 28. Two guys had done the raid only once, and another 1.5 times.

I'm starting to believe that the right group of 29s can do Hard Mode without much problem.
TexasAggie_02
AG
we ranked our group last night: Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, and Foxtrot. E, and F don't matter, they will never get the relic.

Out of 4 teleports last night, Alpha OR Bravo, or Alpha AND Bravo were on every teleport; so Charlie and Delta never got the relic either.

Basically if either A or B get teleported, they go straight for the relic, no questions asked and state that they have it. If C gets teleported, he checks to see if A or B are with him, if not he grabs it. D is a longshot, but he checks as well. E and F go straight to grenade spamming adds, and shooting oracles, they will never get the relic unless there was a glitch that split the party or someone was dead, etc.
howdydamnit04
AG
It is possible for a group of 29s to do but but damn hard. Hard mode is leaps and bounds harder than normal.
JonLobb
I wish I knew what you guys are talking about :-(
AggieChemE09
AG
I am the alpha!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.