*****OFFICIAL DESTINY XB-1 THREAD*****

357,212 Views | 3140 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by LPHA
TexasAggie_02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
the whole thing is disappointing. Its like i paid to be a raid beta tester for 6 weeks. They kept talking about all the hard work going into the hard mode, but really all they did was patch the exploits everyone found for them, and then they arbitrarily crank up the enemy health.

I was hoping for some new twists to the mechanics.
Ag8556
AG
I am also down for another VOG run
bearamedic99
AG
umm, be disappointed, TexasAggie_02. I'm overwhelmed. I finally got Icebreaker but do not have GHorn or armor capable of getting past level 31 in light. The amount of grinding to get into position capable of doing the Crota's End Raid on Hard is literally colossal.

Be happy that you are in position to make the raid. I understand that they are making this not for everyone but for the elite. I'm happy if I can break double digits on hours of gameplay per week with a full time job and being a stay at home dad two days a week with a one year old. Not a dig at you or pity me. It's just facts.

I need to put more time into raids but it's a challenge to not just find the time for myself but 5 other people who will try a stage for the 6th time after we've been trying for over two hours. SO FRUSTRATING!

My beef is that the elite are going to become more elite and have too much of an advantage during Iron Banner events and the like.

The next DLC is in 2 months already, right? Then we get to grind again from level 33 or 34 to 35 and the like. wow. game on.
htownag08
AG
Thanks for the run tonight. Definitely harder than I could probably handle so I appreciate the help. Getting the Mythoclast is going to help me a ton. Is there any sort of ranking for exotic weapons? I just don't know what I should be grinding to level. Right now I have the Vex, Thorn (fully upgraded), universal remote, and Bad JuJu. I assume this Vex should be my new go to?

AggieChemE09
AG
I have the guns you listed. I find Thorn the most useful. Bad juju is fantastic if you have the obsidian helm as warlock.

Vex is great, but situational. Low ammo pool, but great damage.
AggieChemE09
AG
Copy and paste from reddit. This strategy is incredible and should work for both normal and hard. Watch every perspective for a full understanding

Worlds Fastest Hard Mode Crota Kill

Took us many tries but we defeated Crota with only two swords before ogres spawn. The time from the force field dropping to Crota's death was 3 minutes and 40 seconds. The people in our team were:

ComePlayDying666 /u/ComePlayDying666

Elite-Harvey /u/eliteharvey (Boomer Man):

Jcdb92ownzu /u/JCxHDx (Gjallarhorner's Point of View):

PandaBasher /u/PandaBasher (Another Gjallarhorner's Point of View):

Pietyu

Rickstir10 /u/Rickstir10 (Sword Wielder's Point of View):

Special Mention to Juwan11 /u/JayDaKing for helping us fight through the raid up to Crota and for assisting us in formulating our strategy!

Thanks for watching! I'm open to answer any questions and discuss our findings.

**EDIT:** Added my point of view as the sword wielder, which I believe may be useful to others.

**EDIT 2:** You guys asked for it so here it is. The written up version of our strategy:

1. At the start you want to prevent as much damage as possible from the adds on the left and right (due to no chalice mechanic in hard mode). To do this, our team utilized a Titan bubble with blessing of light in which we constantly walked in and out of while killing adds, refreshing the shield. **TAKE YOUR TIME AT THIS PART**. Crota's internal movement timer and boomer spawning will **NOT** start until one or more members of your team leaves the initial area.

2. After all adds are cleared, our team would leave the initial area through either the left or right side (depending on which we were closer to) and we would all migrate to the small ledge on the center of the map just outside the barriers that separate the crystal area from Crota's area. From this ledge four teammates would snipe the Swordbearer as he spawned while the teammate that plans on wielding the sword, along with a defender Titan with blessing of light, would run towards the Swordbearer in preparation to grab the sword as it drops. Once the sword was dropped, the sword wielder would run to the right side of the arena and jump up on the rock that leads to where Crota is standing. The Titan would follow the sword wielder to this point. The four guardians on the ledge in the center will **NOT** kill both boomers on the right or left.

3. Upon reaching the rock, the sword wielder would signal his four teammates on the center ledge to begin firing their Gjallarhorn (Each would fire on average one to two rockets + some primary fire). While the rockets are in air about to hit Crota, the sword wielder would jump up onto Crota's platform and begin running towards Crota. Meanwhile, the defender Titan would be chasing right behind the sword wielder and would drop his bubble right behind the sword wielder as soon as he begins swinging the sword. This bubble is crucial because not only does it act as a shield protecting the sword wielder from boomer shots on the right, but also spawns two orbs of light that will allow for the sword wielder to use his super before the sword disappears. After slamming Crota preferably 4 times (if timed perfectly), the sword wielder will quickly run back to the rock on the right and wait for his four teammates in the center to down Crota once again. Once the second set of missiles are in the air, the sword wielder will once again jump up to where Crota is standing, run through the Titan bubble, and attempt to get in another four slams. During this time, the defender that placed the bubble previously should be standing on the rock to the right of Crota, shooting at Crota with primary fire to assist in downing him. After this, the sword wielder will run back to the rock and await the third and final barrage of missiles. **GETTING A THIRD ROUND OF DAMAGE BEFORE THE SWORD DISAPPEARS IS HARD**. Even if you successfully timed the first two rounds of damage, the sword wielder will only have enough time for one slam cancelled into a super slam (which is exactly what I do in the video).

4. Have all guardians run to the back left portion of the map (Left when facing Crota). **BE CAREFUL!** Boomers will attempt to kill you and damage is not something you can afford to take (jumping helps massively at this part). After successfully running as far back as possible on the left, boomers should not be able to hit you. There is no need to kill these boomers (killing them would spawn a Major wizard) so instead maybe kill one and leave the other be. Have one person try to keep an eye out for Crota while he is on the right. The moment Crota beings to move back to the center, all guardians will migrate back to the outer ledge in the middle of the map. Hopefully the Swordbearer will be in sight at this point (sometimes he hides on the left). Repeat the same strategy for killing the first Swordbearer at this point.

5. Once the sword has been picked up, the sword wielder and Titan will follow the same procedure for the initial round of damage. After getting in about four slams Crota will enrage. We discovered that at around 15%-20% HP Crota will enrage no matter how fast your run was. **DON'T PANIC AND DON'T SHOOT THE OVERSOUL**. This point of the fight really is all or nothing. If you can't finish Crota at this point you are as good as dead. Make sure the four Gjallarhorn users do not panic. Have them wait for Crota's temporary invincibility that he normally has when standing up after crouching to wear off. At this point they will fire all they got to take him down while the sword wielder runs up and swings like he has never swung before.

6. Watch the overgrown knight hit the floor and enjoy your loot!

I think I hit the major points of our strategy and I hope it helps!

**EDIT 3:** PandaBasher's point of view was added and he was kind enough to record for you guys the strategy we used to easily take down Ogres if necessary

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2t80iy/worlds_fastest_hard_mode_crota_kill/
Agmaniacmike12
That is an amazing strat and tutorial. Easy to read and understand and avoids alot of the issues that cause unnecessary deaths and oversouls.
TheVarian
AG
Soooooo, when are we trying this?
TexasAggie_02
AG
well, you can run normal mode to get the checkpoint you want, and then switch to hard mode. bungie forgot to set separate checkpoints for each difficulty. you could run normal up to crota if you want to.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2t9zes/sga_your_normal_mode_checkpoints_transfer_to_hard/
Tex117
AG
^
Wow bungie. Wow.

Honestly, everything up to Crota is not that hard with a team of 32's. But then "dat difficulty spike."
Bryan98
AG
quote:
^
Wow bungie. Wow.

Honestly, everything up to Crota is not that hard with a team of 32's. But then "dat difficulty spike."

I feel that way about normal - pretty easy until Crota.
AggieChemE09
AG
AggieChemE09
AG
As soon as I beat HM, I will do NM. I will hopefully find a good group tonight for HM so I can help some of yo with NM
Agmaniacmike12
Seemed like a couple of people at the very least were interested in getting a Crota raid going tonight. If you happen to see me and/or some other Ags on, don't hesitate to start a raid group.
AggieChemE09
AG
Another HM Crota Strat. This one seems better for a team that doesn't have 7x Gjallahorns

http://np.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2tb7c3/this_crota_strategy_doesnt_require_3_downs_in_one/
herb96
AG
quote:
Seemed like a couple of people at the very least were interested in getting a Crota raid going tonight. If you happen to see me and/or some other Ags on, don't hesitate to start a raid group.
Yes, lets get a group for a normal run.
Tex117
AG
quote:
Another HM Crota Strat. This one seems better for a team that doesn't have 7x Gjallahorns

http://np.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2tb7c3/this_crota_strategy_doesnt_require_3_downs_in_one/
I would change a few things with this strategy. This taken from the epic long strategy above.

I would use the ledge in front of the crystal room. There is no risk of being hit by boomers at all, and the team gets a much better look at the swordbearer coming out of the room. Focus fire fast.

I would also consider taking one of the boomer knights down and just using one titan bubble. Two bubbles would be nice though.

The other strategy if only one titan would be to have the titan follow a bladedancer hunter up to the Crota platform and popping a bubble. The hunter would blink strike out of the first crota down and be invis in the bubble. Further, have the team pop a few rounds in the boomers to keep them aggroed on them and not the hunter. (This would work even without a titan bubble but have a higher risk of something happening).

Then there is the ogre strategy. The team I was on (and cleared Crota) would always have some trouble in this phase because of not knowing exactly where the ogres were...having to play it super safe while on the stairs because of boomer...etc. It threw off the timing real bad.

There is a room underneath each of the towers where the ogres spawn. As soon as the second sword was done, everyone rushed into the tower on the right side at the bottom and jumped up on high ledges and door frames. The right ogre would could come out, and everyone lit him up. Then the other ogre would come walzing up and everyone sniped as to stun lock and took him down.

Everyone would then rush back into the right staircase and back around....Looking for boomer shots and cursed thrawl on the way.

Get back to the center ledge...Rinse and repeat. Three or four swords. Remeber, the 15th RT will enrage him. So keep count. You should be at 14 before you go in for the final sword.

15 will enrage...16....17....If you can get it...great...if not....back off....you have enough time to take crota down one more time....18....victory.
TheVarian
AG
Xur is back to being a disappointment today
RedbeardAG
AG
He's got engrams... I'm happy. Been picky with exotics so far but I need to get something to get my light up. If If I can't roll a good helm from an engram I'm going to buy the Dancing hunter boots.
RedbeardAG
AG
Annnnnd I got the knucklehead radar! Exactly what I was looking for.
AggieKatie2
AG
I got it but have zero use for it right now
bearamedic99
AG
Well, I finally got several hours to raid Crota yesterday. Made it as far as Crota but I was the only hunter and horrible with the blade (plus there may have been a glitch with Crota's shield) so we never beat him before I had to go take care of my kid. On a good note, I got new chest armor with a top light level of 36.
AggieChemE09
AG
Alright Alright. HM Crota is freaking tough. REAL TOUGH! I was in 2 pretty good groups, and each time it took us about 2 hours to down Crota.

The first 2 parts of the raid are not to bad, so I would recommend every lvl 31+ getting those done. Just need one person to cross the bridge, and then a warlock or 2 to snipe the ogres at the bridge encounter. Easy Peasy.

I got the Solar Auto Rifle, the Arc Pulse Rifle, and the Arc Scout Rifle from the raids yesterday. I only downed Crota twice and I doubt I will have time to down him a third time tonight.
TexasAggie_02
AG
spent over 8 hrs and 18k glimmer (heavy ammo synth) on crota this weekend, and never killed him. too many effing glitches.

• Crota not kneeling when his shield is down
  • crota standing up almost instantly
  • crota coming into the spawn room
  • crota jumping down from the pathway
  • crota killing you with melee, even though he is no-where near you
  • knights at the beginning coming into the crystal room
  • gatekeeper coming into the spawn room
  • sword bearer spawning, but staying in his little room where you can't shoot him
  • sword bearer hiding underneath the boomer spawn
  • sword despawning as soon as it is dropped
  • sword bearer regen-ing health while taking damage
  • oversoul killing you, even though it shows that you defeated it
  • 90% of the playable space is off-limits b/c you can be one-shotted
  • thralls can melee you through the shield door when you are standing on the window sill
Beating Crota on hard has nothing to do with skill, but the sheer luck of getting a run where there are ZERO glitches. it is so damn frustrating
herb96
AG
quote:
I got the Solar Auto Rifle, the Arc Pulse Rifle, and the Arc Scout Rifle from the raids yesterday.
I got the same rewards as well. I like the solar AR and its perks. have not tried out the scout or pulse rifles yet.

The pug group I joined had a pretty good strategy for Crota. Luckily I had a fully upgraded Red Death pulse rifle that helped with the health regen. Make sure you have enough heavy weapon ammo synthesis beforehand.
AggieChemE09
AG
As typical with bungie Boss fights, the best strategies are simply finding every way to minimize glitches from affecting you.

I can go on and on about alot of those glitches and how lame they are, but a few things we did as a group that seemed to lessen our chances of failing.

• Kill everything in spawn room, create as many orbs as possible.
  • Get on Back Ledge, Kill Swordbearer
  • While our 32 Hunter is retreiving the sword, everyone is shooting the boomers in both towers to draw as much Aggro from them and away from the Hunter as possible. (Not killing them of course)
  • The hunter gets on the ledge and goes invisible. The moment we see him jump, rockets are inbound. He should be able to get to Crota in no time, and get 3 hits in.
  • Blink Strike, get invis, count to 3 from when Crota stands, send more rockets.

Alright now we had 2 titans. We would actually stay out on the ledge and use a bubble. We did not retreat in the room. This allows us to avoid potential deaths from Boomers, and also keeps the Swordbearer in a better spot (He seems to only move to really bad spots when he cant see you, so staying in his vision should keep him more center. And we know where he is too if he did move)

• Grab second sword and repeat those steps.
  • After everyone shoots their rockets for the second down on the second sword, run to right Ogre Room.
  • Get elevated, kill ogre when he comes out.
  • Titan drops a shield after the ogre is killed, use that orb to heal, kill other ogre.
  • As a group of 6, run back to crystal room. Crota should be dead center right now, WAIT. Wait for crota to go Right, and then move once he is going Back to center.
  • We leave our weakest DPS person in the room to protect us from thralls hitting us from behind here.

Repeat kill sword bearer, kill crota, loot!

Sword bearer needs 1x4hit and 3x3hit combos during the first 2 swords, That gives 13 hits, 1 away from enrage, 5 from killing him. On the third and final sword, Hunter should hit him 3 times only first (For safety), and go balls out on the last part to beat enrage.

It takes 3x 331 Gjallahorn shots from a 32 to down crota. In the group I had, I was the only on with one. We all had atleast a Truth or Hunger of Crota. 4 Rockets(1 from each) from that assortment was enough to down him easily. Once you shoot your rocket, spam primary at him to help just in case. When we were on the third sword and left someone in the room behind us, I would just shoot an extra rocket each time to make up for any lost damage.
Bryan98
AG
Me and TheWalt are looking to do Crota tonight. I'm a couple shards from 32, he's already there.
htownag08
AG
I would like to tonight - but I'm not 100% I'll be able to get on. What time are you thinking ?
Bryan98
AG
As soon after 8pm as I can. Once the kids are all tucked in, I'm getting online.
AggieChemE09
AG
I have 3 (including me) ready to go at 830pm. I wanna run them through hard mode Abyss and Bridge, because you can be carried and cheese through that. Then I will take them to beat Crota and the deathsinger on normal mode
Bryan98
AG
quote:
I have 3 (including me) ready to go at 830pm. I wanna run them through hard mode Abyss and Bridge, because you can be carried and cheese through that. Then I will take them to beat Crota and the deathsinger on normal mode

So combine teams for a full group?
AggieChemE09
AG
Deal. I'll tell my other 2 to be on and ready with synths at 830pm

How many GJallahorns do we have in that group now?

I have a 331 Gjallahorn, but might be sword carrier
Paulerrific has a maxed out 300 GJallahorn.
You?
TheWalt?

Really need 3 tracking rockets on crota for normal.

We are going to use the Hard mode strategy for Normal Mode
TheVarian
AG
quote:
Deal. I'll tell my other 2 to be on and ready with synths at 830pm

How many GJallahorns do we have in that group now?

I have a 331 Gjallahorn, but might be sword carrier
Paulerrific has a maxed out 300 GJallahorn.
You?
TheWalt?

Really need 3 tracking rockets on crota for normal.

We are going to use the Hard mode strategy for Normal Mode

I'll be the 6th if yall need are still needing one more
Bryan98
AG
Me and TheWalt both have 331 maxed Gjallarhorns. Both have 331 Icebreakers.

htownag08, remind me what your Xbox name is?

Varian - I'm cool with you coming if not everyone is ready at 8:30.
AggieChemE09
AG
Sounds good!

So I think the plan is

HM Abyss(just need one alive!)
HM Bridge(Cheese it why not)
NM Hallway
NM Deathsinger
NM Crota

Then maybe VoG Normal or Hard

Then maybe HM Crota with anyone still around.

Ideally we dont get stuck at any point to long, wipe quickly when it is called, and keep it moving

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.