*****OFFICIAL DESTINY XB-1 THREAD*****

362,419 Views | 3140 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by LPHA
tate504
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought it but I'm also curious on everyone's thoughts. Is this going to end up being a WOW fps? When they talk about the ten year life cycle is it just this game or destiny II , destiny III?
Saxsoon
AG
Multiple games
wee_ag
AG
I'll say it again - There are players on right now ABOVE LEVEL 20. Level 26 has been seen, not sure how much higher they go.

quote:
Level 20 is max??? The beta max was, what, 8 I think and I'm pretty sure I got two characters to 8 and it didn't take that long. I thought this was suppose to be a "massive" game. Should I be afraid that it's only massive if I spend another $60 for expansion packs??? I keep relating this game to borderlands and I'm pretty sure you ranked up to level 50 in borderlands with just the base game. Maybe I'm wrong.

It doesn't put a damper on anything for me... still really looking forward to exploring this game!!!
quote:
20 is the max. It's a "soft cap". After that experience translates into Motes of Light which can be used to by super-rare/powerful gear from this one guy in the tower. They wanted it to be fairly easy to reach max level, and the game is supposed to be driven by trying to get the best gear to complete your character.

I'm not concerned, although I do anticipate hitting level 20 this weekend.

Tex117
AG
^
Pretty standard MMO stuff regarding the level cap. It still irritates me.

That said, just effing around with the first few missions and I am digging it. Good sheet.
tremble
AG
So is this game a current WoW FPS essentially?

I did my fair share of that and am reticent to get sucked into another time vortex like that again.
agmrpink
AG
I'm also curious on the gameplay and style of game. Does it play like Borderlands with a WOW-like "connected with everybody MMO"?

Also, what's the tone like: super serious sci-fy Halo-esque? Fun and light hearted?
Artorias
AG
PS4 - mugwurt
wee_ag
AG
The only WOW comparison I would make is that you can team up with randoms/friends to complete missions, and group up with friends to do raids/side missions. There's usually a number of people running around the same map you are when doing missions. I remember WOW being much more of a time suck, this feels more casual (especially considering the level cap).

The game is more of a serious tone with a little humor injected here and there (sometimes unintentionally with some bad voice acting). I think your borderlands/WOW comparison is fairly accurate.
SECivil Ag-11
AG
quote:
sometimes unintentionally with some bad voice acting

this. the ghost's voice is just terrible
OldArmy07
AG
If say it's closer to an FPS version of Diablo than wow. Potentially limited number of locations to fight in, but varying levels of difficulty to attack each level from. Play again and again for better gear, and then attempt the 6 person raids.
Saxsoon
AG
I have been playing for around 7 hours today. Probably the longest video game run I have ever done. Finished the Beta content and got two more story missions into the moon. Played 5 crucible matches and I am not at level 11(almost 12). I like unlocking everything but it is a little concerning how quickly I am going through this stuff.

Doesn't change the fact that this game is a total blast to play.
Tex117
AG
Anybody have a tips on getting better at multiplayer? I've really never played co-op or competitive multiplayer FPS, and I have discovered, I am 100% terrible.

Any tips? Pointers for a "noob?"
Saxsoon
AG
I focus entirely on my fusion rifle,grenades, and super. My main in the campaign is a pulse rifle but I think you need an AR to really get some quick damage in this game. I am not great but in the few matches I did have, when I focused on those I either broke even on the KD or exceeded it.
Seven Psycho Ags
Graduate courses suck!

I played briefly last night. I'll play really late tonight too. I noticed they fixed up Dinklage's voice a little more. It doesn't sound nearly as dry with the modulation
Ph.D.Aggies
AG
Multiplayer and the rest of the game don't match up at all. The way I structured my character is basically useless in PvP.
AggieChemE09
AG
Xbone

Afterlife1987
Ph.D.Aggies
AG
quote:
I'll say it again - There are players on right now ABOVE LEVEL 20. Level 26 has been seen, not sure how much higher they go.

quote:
Level 20 is max??? The beta max was, what, 8 I think and I'm pretty sure I got two characters to 8 and it didn't take that long. I thought this was suppose to be a "massive" game. Should I be afraid that it's only massive if I spend another $60 for expansion packs??? I keep relating this game to borderlands and I'm pretty sure you ranked up to level 50 in borderlands with just the base game. Maybe I'm wrong.

It doesn't put a damper on anything for me... still really looking forward to exploring this game!!!
quote:
20 is the max. It's a "soft cap". After that experience translates into Motes of Light which can be used to by super-rare/powerful gear from this one guy in the tower. They wanted it to be fairly easy to reach max level, and the game is supposed to be driven by trying to get the best gear to complete your character.

I'm not concerned, although I do anticipate hitting level 20 this weekend.

Level 20 in the max...
Kampfers
AG
Alright guys, clans are re-enabled, so go ahead and go to bungie.net to activate the clan on the platform of your choice. As soon as 5 people on your platform have activated, the clan tag should appear for those of you who did it.
jr15aggie
AG
Is there a texag clan for the Bone?

I played around 4 hour ls last night... Pretty good time. Me and Kampfers went to the moon and dominated some Aliens with a big ass sword!

I also played some crucible and liked it more than the beta, but it's still a bit crazy. You definitely need to save a variety of weapons, even if you don't use them in single player, for the MP. I'm pretty sure a lot of guys use the machine gun when the heavy ammo drops and they dominate. I have no idea how weapon damage scales and they balance all that, but having an accurate / low recoil gun is a must. A super high damage but high recoil gun might be awesome in single player, but it's worthless in MP.
jeffk
AG
Most of you guys are smarter than I am, so you probably already knew this, but those codes we all entered in have to be then redeemed on Bungie and assigned to your account on your system before they'll show up at the special orders kiosk in the tower. Why there's a two-step redemption process, I don't know.

Those of you playing with me late at night, sorry I'm a low talker. I'm trying not to wake wife and baby most nights and the mic on my MS headset isn't very sensitive.
Saxsoon
AG
Anyone do the digital Guardian edition on ps4? The ship and ghost haven't show up yet, but I have had access to the Vanguard armory. I also have unlocked the grittier cards from the codes but the other emblems and shades haven't popped up to use at the special order shop.
agfan2013
AG
So what's y'all's thoughts on the game? A lot of the bigger publications won't be releasing reviews for a couple of days since they want to play through the whole game to get a good feel.

The few early impressions have talked about a weak story and characters, which is interesting because I know bungie wants people to go all in and fall in love with this universe just like gamers do with elder scrolls, halo, etc. I'm just curious what y'all think, what would you give it on a 1 to 10 scale?
Krussian09
AG
quote:
Anyone do the digital Guardian edition on ps4? The ship and ghost haven't show up yet, but I have had access to the Vanguard armory. I also have unlocked the grittier cards from the codes but the other emblems and shades haven't popped up to use at the special order shop.

I had the ghost and ship skin available when I reached the tower my first time. I'm on Xbox.
Saxsoon
AG
The story is literally Dinklebot dropping expository during loading scenes and while you mow down hoards while he scans stuff. I heard at the Reef cutscenes start popping up but we are not talking a lot here. It is very MMOish without the text bubbles.

The universe is very deep, but the story is not.

I would like to see a stronger story focus in the next game and more storage space (only 20 weapons 20 items, 20 armors shared across 3 characters will get out of hand quickly once you get to the end game. I also want to see more unique story missions like the Sword of Crota that completely change up the mission. A little too much of Dinklebot scanning and us killing in choke points. Not much different from most shooters, but for something like this variety would be a little appreciated.

Regardless though, the game is some of the most fun I have ever had. I have never played 12-14 hours of video games in a single day before, which is a testament to the strong co-op play they have built. The mechanics are very strong and they keep me coming back for skills and loot.
Thunder18
AG
Sword of Crota mission was pretty fun
oceanag13
AG
PS4 - CaptFishshirtXX
jr15aggie
AG
The game is excellent from a gameplay and technical standpoint. It's also really cool in terms of the sci-fi setting, the large detailed environments, and cool gear you can get for you character (some of which makes them look more awesome like capes).

The story is very bland though and it's made worse by the fact that it's harder to get a grasp on it when you are playing with friends and talking. And when you are in a party, only one guy chooses the mission so the others are just sorta along for the ride and have no idea where we are going or why. Like last night when I'd been in Russia for hours and the next thing you know Kampfers is flying our party to the moon... "are we going to the moon"? "Yeah". "Oh, OK"

But the game is so fun who cares. It's great playing with friends who know how to play shooters. We coordinate a little bit vocally, but usually we all just naturally spread out, flank the enemies, watch each others back, etc. Or in some cases when a big boss comes up we all throw grenades at the same time and say "That was easy!".
Saxsoon
AG
There were definitely sometimes where Hard was HARD. We once went into a mission where we were underleveled for normal and went Hard. We completed it, but we had probably 30-40 deaths shared between us.

We came back to that mission later with another friend and he and I were just laughing at how easy it had become since then with our new gear. So much fun.
Saxsoon
AG
I want to platinum this but completing a Raid with no one dying is going to be fun.
SF2004
AG
Marsuvees, thanks for your updates on this thread. I am going to get to finally play tonight.

The other sandbox I visit (more heavy nerd and less working professionals/family people who play games) was really railing on this game hard. I don't think they realized what this game was meant to be, especially after reading the more positive tone over here.

Seems to be a short campaign, but lots of things to do in search of the new shiny loots. Sounds like fun to me.

I am confused on how your Pv5 loots translate to PvP.
howdydamnit04
AG
So is there a Texags clan and if so what sort of hazing to I have to submit myself to?

Edit: NM I see the link on the first page and have joined.
OldArmy07
AG
Re: clan hazing:

20 minutes on chat roulette. Then you can join.
AggieChemE09
AG
requested to join clan

Afterlife1987
Kampfers
AG
quote:
There were definitely sometimes where Hard was HARD. We once went into a mission where we were underleveled for normal and went Hard. We completed it, but we had probably 30-40 deaths shared between us.

We came back to that mission later with another friend and he and I were just laughing at how easy it had become since then with our new gear. So much fun.
I agree. It was different from the beta in that regard. Running a level 7 mission I would routinely see level 8 or 9 enemies, which made running it at a level 5 nigh impossible. There just seem to be more higher-level enemies running around in general. Similarly, it seems that leveling takes a bit longer than in the beta. I've also found far fewer encrypted engrams than in the beta. I think I've only found two or three of those.

I did manage to pick up all but the last of the gold chests in Russia. I just need to run through the strike mission tonight to get that chest. We tried doing it last night but it was too high-level.

And Keester, I'm aware of why you whisper into the mic. I don't think we were trying to give you any grief about it if you felt that way, we were just letting you know.

But yeah, definitely gonna second the comments about the sword mission. That was fun.
howdydamnit04
AG
quote:
Re: clan hazing:

20 minutes on chat roulette. Then you can join.

With or without showing my junk? Because if I can't show my junk what's the point?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.