*****OFFICIAL DESTINY XB-1 THREAD*****

356,139 Views | 3140 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by LPHA
Kampfers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Wasn't there some old tech called Rasputin in one of the Russia story levels?
Yes. Rasputin is a "warmind" created by humanity. He's appeared in a few different missions and appears to have some level of control over the defense systems of the planets. He survived the collapse but we know relatively little about him.
Krussian09
AG
As far as we know, Rasputin is the sole "living" warmind AI that survived humanity's collapse. You first see mention of him during the "Last Array" mission on Earth. It's also hinted at that it may have sacrificed humanity to the darkness to save itself.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
Yeah, not sure what gives with Bungie and their cryptic way of storytelling in games. Halo has a completely awesome and very deep/complex story with the Halo universe... but it took several play throughs of the game and some real digging to get the real point behind it all... to finally get to that a "oh crap!" moment of revelation.

In other words, Bungie can craft VERY good stories, but man they suck at telling it!!!!!

If what is said above is true, that's pretty awesome, but also very watered down because I honestly couldn't tell you much about who I was fighting for and why. I was on the light side with the traveler and we were fighting the darkness is about as much as I know... outside of that fact the only thing I knew was to shoot anything that moved that wasn't a guardian... except in the crucible, then guardian killing was encouraged!
And that's the argument. That this storytelling was stripped out of the game and replaced with the grimoire sometime around February. Which would also explain why there is no way to view the grimoire in game, because that's quite late in the development cycle.
jr15aggie
AG
Ghost: "I have bad news guardian... you have been fighting for the wrong side all along"

Guardian: "That's OK, check out my exotic assault riffle... KABLAMO!!!"
19 inch cobra
This may sound harsh, but after playing this game for a week, I have come to several conclusions:

1. This game is mostly looks, not much substance. It is extremely repetitive and the gameplay is shallow. You literally do the same thing over and over again. It just looks different. It's more fun playing with friends, but that still doesn't solve the core problem.

2. This game is clearly a watered down version of what it was originally intended to be. I don't know if that is due to budget, time, or technology constraints, but it obviously not the kind of quality product that Bungie envisioned and initially pitched to consumers.

3. This game is not worth $65. Fortunately I got it for free. I certainly will not be paying for any upcoming content.

Destiny has only reinforced my stance that I do not preorder games or buy them on release day. Better to take the time to read a lot of reviews and feedback before you decide. I don't have time to play halfassed games.

I did preorder the Halo Collection, but only because I know exactly what I'm getting.
Ranger222
AG
I still think more stuff will open over time. Someone on reddit posted a YouTube of a person's game that had bugged out and showed locations on the map that aren't open yet, containing new story mission as well as strikes (some of this specified that DLC was required). Also if you go online to view your grimoire cards and go to "places", you'll notice that there is placeholders for Mercury, Jupiter, and Saturn. I think both indicated that there is still a lot of content left (maybe all DLC, who knows). Either that or they've stripped out over half the game.

The repetiveness and having to unlock more content through upcoming DLC are all valid complaints. I both love and hate this game. It has me addicted, but I which there was so much more. Maybe I'm just a sucker holding out hope.
dcaggie04
AG
Yeah, you can tell there has to be more stuff out there. For one, the end of the story mode discussion with the stranger, they talk about the enemy is still out there. Also, there looks like another potential location in the reef that could open up at a later time.
Bryan98
AG
You know what really hurts the story? The fact that they don't even tell you what order to play the missions in. They should open them up to you one at a time, so it's always obvious which one comes next.

It would probably still not come off brilliantly, but that would have been a big improvement.

I really enjoy the gameplay and the fun of playing with friends. The fact that all loot is personal and there is no possibility of drama helps keep playing with friends stress-free. The Crucible gameplay is a lot of fun, with several really good gametypes (I particularly enjoy Control, Salvage, and Skirmish (3v3).

It is kind of annoying to gear up, in that as far as I can tell you have to somehow acquire a large number of Ascendant Shards to hit 28 for the one raid that's available. You should be able to get geared enough to start a raid just by playing through the story and running Strikes. I literally don't know any way to reliably get Ascendant Shards other than spending Marks on Legendaries that you then disassemble. Yes, you can Gold a public event once a day, and after a week you wouldn't have earned enough shards for a single upgrade slot on your gear.

Having fun with it despite all that, though!
wee_ag
AG
Cave Shooting Simulator

http://coffeeshopgamedev.com/Week_11/Week_11_web.html

EconAg10
AG
ahah ahahhaha
TexasAggie_02
AG
this is depressing if true

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2hrpzx/ama_request_someone_from_bungie_or_activision_who/ckvowy2

basically, after Joe Staten left, it all fell apart. The first mission of the game was supposed to be different for each race. Instead that was cut and the intro for the Exo race was used for everyone.

The entire story was gutted and shelved to the grimoire cards in February. The factions actually tied into the story with their own backgrounds and motivations. You could trade weapons and armor with other players. You could talk to other players. There were mission on other planets and the reef.

Apparently, everything that was cut is still on the disc, you just can't get to it.
Bryan98
AG
That would explain why humans and Awoken are being resurrected from the dead - they weren't meant to be.
"Texas - It's still America down here!"
wee_ag
AG
Wow, there are some complete idiots working at Activision and Bungie
cr0wbar
AG
Interesting- always felt something was off- especially with us choosing our race. It doesn't really matter.

What everyone else said...
NoHo Hank
AG
quote:
That would explain why humans and Awoken are being resurrected from the dead - they weren't meant to be.
One of the countless WTF moments in Destiny. I've enjoyed the game mechanics, but man this game struggles so much in so many areas.

1. The story is appallingly bad. Nothing you do makes any sense in the context of anything else. Pretty much any time you jump from planet to planet, it feels like a brand new story. Maybe that's explained in some cards that you have to read online... but that's not a reasonable expectation on Bungie's part.

2. The leveling mechanics - okay, getting from level 20 to 24 is a grind, but that's okay. You run strike, get vanguard marks, and level from blue to purple gear. I can live with that. But once you get purple gear, you have to start grinding... patrol zones? To get ingredients? So you can level? Who in their right mind could possibly have thought that was a good idea. Right now, I'm 26 with 3 pieces of purple gear and a purple heavy weapon. Between the 3, I need about 120 more helium filaments to get to 28 so that I can try to enjoy the single raid. That's a beyond bad system.

3. Content - for an MMO lite that you're supposed to dump 100+ hours into, there's nowhere near enough to do. When vanilla wow was released back in '04, it had legitimately 20-30x the content of destiny. Maybe more. 6 strikes and 1 raid just ain't enough endgame content, especially when the strikes are < 30 minutes most of the time.
NoHo Hank
AG
Looks like everything I said has already been mentioned. But seriously, who the **** wants to farm helium filaments on the moon as part of the endgame. Horrendous.
AggieBob08
AG
Here's to hopping they find a way they fix everything with some free DLC. I was really looking forward to this being a great game I could play for the life of my PS4..,
jr15aggie
AG
I traded the game in today so I don't really care either way, but it's all frustrating if true. I said multiple times that I had fun with the game despite its shortcomings. And I agree the game was very small after we were promised so much... If much of the game was withheld for DLC then that is just sad. It's also a horrible idea... Did they think the Internet wouldn't backlash?

As a gamer I've very interested to see what unfolds. People will no doubt keep digging so we'll see what is uncovered.
Madmarttigan
AG
Glad I did not participate in another time sink. I wasn't sold on playing a new MMO even though it was a console. I have grinded way too much on WoW, WAR, SWTOR, and Wildstar to mess with it more than once every couple of years.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Glad I did not participate in another time sink. I wasn't sold on playing a new MMO even though it was a console. I have grinded way too much on WoW, WAR, SWTOR, and Wildstar to mess with it more than once every couple of years.

But it's not a time sink if you don't want it to be. I put in no more than 24 hours and got to do 95% of what the game had to offer. I had one last really fun night of co-op with friends and I was done.
TexasAggie_02
AG
FYI, the soundtrack was released on Friday on itunes, and on Amazon MP3 yesterday.

9.99 on iTunes, and 8.99 on Amazon.
AggieChemE09
AG
I got "Patience and Time" last night. It is an exotic sniper rifle that makes you invisible while looking down the scope. I got it as the reward for beating the Weekly Nightfall with my buddy who got a legendary Auto Rifle.
AggieChemE09
AG
Looking for a third person (atleast 26) to do the Nightfall Strike this week. It shouldn't be to bad even without hiding in the safe spot on the last boss since enemies don't have lightswitch and only on enemy has the extra damage buff this week.

"PSA: The New Weekly Nightfall is the Colossus Strike on Mars

The modifiers are: Epic, Juggler, Angry, Nightfall, and Arc Burn
Now for the actual PSA part, To my knowledge, there is only one enemy on Mars that does Arc damage. The Psions, with their ranged psychic attack, deal arc damage, while their guns are solar and their melee I believe to be void damage.
This means that the only enemy to be exceptionally threatening is a Psion outside of melee range."

Probably trying to it around 930 PM. Anyone down?
Kampfers
AG
quote:
Looking for a third person (atleast 26) to do the Nightfall Strike this week. It shouldn't be to bad even without hiding in the safe spot on the last boss since enemies don't have lightswitch and only on enemy has the extra damage buff this week.

"PSA: The New Weekly Nightfall is the Colossus Strike on Mars

The modifiers are: Epic, Juggler, Angry, Nightfall, and Arc Burn
Now for the actual PSA part, To my knowledge, there is only one enemy on Mars that does Arc damage. The Psions, with their ranged psychic attack, deal arc damage, while their guns are solar and their melee I believe to be void damage.
This means that the only enemy to be exceptionally threatening is a Psion outside of melee range."

Probably trying to it around 930 PM. Anyone down?

XB1 right? I'll go ahead and join up.

The late start will give me plenty of time to dive in to Forza Horizon 2 before we begin.
Bryan98
AG
Is the Nightfall strike always the same strike as the Weekly Heroic? I know it was last week, but I'm not clear if that's always the way it is or just random chance.
AggieBob08
AG
Even if the story is confusing as hell I do think the multi-player is hella fun...plus making my guy look badass.
Tex117
AG
With locations still on the disc, departures of key Bungie employees, the nonsensical story, (But that EXO opening would make sense...considering you would be a robot), there just seems there is a really good story of how the development of this game went wildly wrong.

The grimoire cards, (ridiculous it is not in-game...that's insane), the character CROW (credited on Imdb, but not in the final release...he was leader of another faction that thought the Traveler and Speaker were evil)...along with Mysterious Stranger........Something definitely happened.
TexasAggie_02
AG
just guessing here, but there were a ton of people not impressed with Dinklage's performance: accusing him of mailing it in, etc.

What if they went through so many rewrites that he got fed up with having to come back in to record, and really just did mail it in b/c he was tired of having to keep re-recording dialogue?
quahog_ag
AG
Anyone here playing on PS3 (lame, I know)? Me and a buddy from work are looking to join a clan. Not ultra competitive players, but we can hold our own.
Raggy09
AG
I really, really want to love this game. But it just feels so bare. Bungie is a great company and I still have faith they'll fix it but damn this has been a massive disappointment so far.
Raggy09
AG
Ok. I just got another exotic weapons bounty. This makes 5.
wee_ag
AG
And I have yet to get one.
bigbass1170
AG
Haven't gotten one yet
TheVarian
AG
Tell us your secret oh great exotic bounty slayer
AggieChemE09
AG
Got to 28 last night!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.