***** Official 2020 Texas Rangers Season Thread *****

172,229 Views | 3272 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCSWguru
xjrayx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Legal Custodian said:

We got that #1 spot in the draft right now! Let's hold onto it!

Yes please!!
Jimmy McNulty
AG
who we taking?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
It may be. I was just pointing out that what they're saying isn't that his arm has been sore for three years.
KT 90
AG
ryanhnc10 said:

Ranger #007 said:

I take it as more akin to a RB who won't cut on a repaired knee. It sounds like he's been avoiding certain motions from a mental standpoint and now that he isn't he's sore.

I think it's a convenient excuse for his terrible play

This is what I was getting at. Let's not make excuses for him. We all appreciate the good years, but he's been clearly slipping... both in the field and at the plate.
hawk1689
AG
Seven Costanza said:

toucan82 said:

I don't watch the mariners often so I have to ask: is kyle seager the greatest hitter of all time?
Second best. Right after Khris Davis.
You'd have to throw Vlad. Guerrero in that mix.
Seven Costanza
AG
hawk1689 said:

Seven Costanza said:

toucan82 said:

I don't watch the mariners often so I have to ask: is kyle seager the greatest hitter of all time?
Decided to look it up, not knowing one way or the other who would come out on top:

Career against the Rangers:

Kyle Seager: 163 games, .297/.369/.516/.885

Khris Davis: 77 games, .273/.357/.673/1.030

Vlad Guerrero: 108 games, .395/.461/.661/1.122

Barry Bonds against all teams: .298/.444/.607/1.051

Danny Vermin
I'm no expert but the consensus is Kumar Rocker from what i understand.
hawk1689
AG
Seven Costanza said:

hawk1689 said:

Seven Costanza said:

toucan82 said:

Decided to look it up, not knowing one way or the other who would come out on top:

Career against the Rangers:

Kyle Seager: 163 games, .297/.369/.516/.885

Khris Davis: 77 games, .273/.357/.673/1.030

Vlad Guerrero: 108 games, .395/.461/.661/1.122

Barry Bonds against all teams: .298/.444/.607/1.051

I'm shocked that Seager is only .297. I'd like to see how many GWRBI that guy has. He might only be hitting .297 against us, but he's probably .500 wRISP.
vette
AG
Vlad's numbers against the Rangers are ridiculous
Seven Costanza
AG
Surprisingly Seager had a .572 OPS (that's Rougie territory) against the Rangers in 2018 over 18 total games. His 2013 season against the Rangers was huge, though (1.200 OPS).
Old Tom Morris
Another downside of keeping Lance Lynn - they are about to go ahead of Pit in the win column
Grapesoda2525
How low do we have to finish to get a near guaranteed stud player?

Top 3rd of draft order?

Top 5?
gigem1223
Grapesoda2525 said:

Top 3rd of draft order?

Top 5?

Nothings a guarantee with this front office. Dillon Tate comes to mind. I would hope with a top 2 pick Rocker/ Leiter are can't miss.
Grapesoda2525
gigem1223 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Top 3rd of draft order?

Top 5?

Nothings a guarantee with this front office. Dillon Tate comes to mind. I would hope with a top 2 pick Rocker/ Leiter are can't miss.
I vividly remember Dillon Tate and it's a good point, but the chances of screwing up that badly twice seems pretty low.

But yeah....... we definitely need either rocker or leiter.
Proposition Joe
To be fair, most of the teams that drafted in the Top 10 in 2015 wound up with duds.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Kolby Allard is found in the middle of the first round.

What's the story with Tate?
jtstanley4621
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

Another downside of keeping Lance Lynn - they are about to go ahead of Pit in the win column

Tied with Pit for least wins but we have more loss. So if the season ended today we'd have the first pick, at least I think that's how it's determined if two teams have the same number of wins
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
I think the takeaway on this is that hardly anyone bunts anymore. I don't mind Gallo taking the free base occasionally if they are going to give it to him, but this is still surprising:

Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Jimmy McNulty said:

Kolby Allard is found in the middle of the first round.

What's the story with Tate?
Tate was a damaged pitcher who was believed to have a floor of being a Closer and a ceiling of being a ToTR guy.

The Rangers felt they could sign him for below-slot because of his injury, but could get one of the best pitchers in the draft.

In doing so, the Rangers were able to draft a guy like Eric Jenkins and Michael Matuella and sign for more than Slot.

Additionally, the Rangers drafted a number of players like Dylan Moore and Blake Bass, who signed for minimum, using the difference for Jenkins and Matuella.

Rangers were very positive on being able to get two guys who were believed to fill rotation spots.
Just another example of what the Mavericks used to do all the time. Try to get cute and overthink things instead of taking the value staring you right in the face.

They should start Lynn at most one more time then shut him down for the rest of the season. Not worth the injury risk or the increased chance of winning games.
Proposition Joe
What was the value staring them right in the face?

Kyle Tucker went 5th
Tyler Jay went 6th
Andrew Benintendi went 7th
Carson Fulmer went 8th
Ian Happ went 9th
Cornelius Randolph went 10th

Just as many hits as misses.

And Texas actually flipped Tate and a couple of other duds for Carlos Beltran who was mashing 890 OPS with the Yankees. Texas won 95 games that year.

I mean, I agree we have way too many misses and need to start hitting on some draft picks, but Dillon Tate doesn't stand out as a Drew-Meyer-esque pick.
KT 90
AG
Odor back from IL, Choo to the IL:

hawk1689
AG
That was the draft where Houston got the #3 for strong arming Brady Aiken into not signing the year before. Alex Bregman was one of the consensus top three and he should be a Ranger. He's a dbag, but he should be our dbag. That still pisses me off.
xjrayx
AG
Cody should have been out of this inning on 13 pitches and no runs. But thanks to Rougie, he's still working...
Grapesoda2525
xjrayx said:

Cody should have been out of this inning on 13 pitches and no runs. But thanks to Rougie, he's still working...
Odor's back less than 1 game and he's already hurting us again.
ryanhnc10
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

xjrayx said:

Less than 1 inning
powerbelly
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

xjrayx said:

We are trying to tank. We need all of his bull*****
Slamn Sharpe
Bases load and Guzman was hit by pitch?
Mr Gigem
AG
What the actual **** was that strike call??? That has to be one of the worst calls I've ever seen
Slamn Sharpe
AccidentProne said:

What the actual **** was that strike call??? That has to be one of the worst calls I've ever seen

I'm only watching this via espn.com and it showed the strike 3 call far out of the strike zone too
KT 90
AG
Never would've guessed this:

Slamn Sharpe
CampingAg
AG
I'm all aboard team tank, but can't be upset about wins like this in which the kids lead the charge. Pretty fun game from that standpoint.

Watching Leody play CF is fun. He can go get it. Makes it look easy.
xjrayx
AG

Hate that Trevino got hurt last night, but this does not suck. Excited to see him get a shot!!
wbt5845
AG
xjrayx said:

Hate that Trevino got hurt last night, but this does not suck. Excited to see him get a shot!!

Rangers just made it official. I'm excited.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.