***** Official 2020 Texas Rangers Season Thread *****

170,745 Views | 3272 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCSWguru
Mr Gigem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sam Huff is a big dude. 6'5, 240. Think Joey Gallo, but in catcher gear
Aggie_3
AccidentProne said:

What's the lifespan of a catcher that size? Especially his knees
powerbelly
AG
Aggie_3 said:

AccidentProne said:

What's the lifespan of a catcher that size? Especially his knees
Joe Mauer and Matt Wieters are 6-5. They have had 10+ year careers. It seems tall catchers the ability to transition to first if they still have a decent bat.
wbt5845
AG
The Trade Rumor website said only 5 guys 6'-5" or over have caught 300 or more MLB games. However, since there aren't many guys who've played baseball who are 6'-5" and over, not sure how relevant a stat that is.
powerbelly
AG
wbt5845 said:

The Trade Rumor website said only 5 guys 6'-5" or over have caught 300 or more MLB games. However, since there aren't many guys who've played baseball who are 6'-5" and over, not sure how relevant a stat that is.

I think most 6-5 catchers get moved to first or outfield early in their careers.
wbt5845
AG
powerbelly said:

wbt5845 said:

I think most 6-5 catchers get moved to first or outfield early in their careers.
I'm doubting MLB Trade Rumor's claim of only 5 guys that height catching 300+ games.

Right now, St. Loius' Matt Weiters meets that criteria. Detroit's Grayson Greiner is right at 110 games. Joe Mauer was that tall, as was Sandy Alomar, JR. So there's 3 without really trying.

Interestingly, Mike Piazza was only 6'3" - I thought he was bigger.
xjrayx
AG
TV broadcast just said that Huff is getting the start tomorrow!! LFG!!!
wbt5845
AG
As an aside - Pujols is just mailing it in at this point. Showing all 42 of his years.
xjrayx
AG

Officially official! Sam Huff making his big league debut!
Grapesoda2525
xjrayx said:

Officially official! Sam Huff making his big league debut!
Best case scenario is huff goes deep, has some good at bats, and we keep on losing.
Grapesoda2525
Pretty damning report came out recently. Some expert just went thru and totally destroyed our team up and down. The projections are ugly and this thing isn't getting better anytime soon.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/texas-skinny-rebuild-isnt-working-out/

Quote:

In 2020, the veteran starters have continued to hold up their part of the bargain (except for Gibson), but the offense has been a nearly unmitigated disaster. I spent much of the Rangers' 2020 ZiPS projection piece talking about how seriously flawed the offense was, but it's been even worse than I imagined.
Seemed like everyone knew the offense needed help. I was totally stunned that we didn't bring in 2 big bats to help.

Quote:

But for those hoping that a full rebuild will yield quick results, think again. While it's more than possible that ZiPS is wrong, it can't be overlooked that entering the season, the system projected the Rangers to end up with the least value from rounds one-to-five of the 2015-19 drafts of any team in baseball, with their picks combining for a total of 16.6 WAR
Kip ***g is freaking terrible!

Quote:

Trading players like Gallo and Lynn is unlikely to be popular with the fanbase, but given the team's setbacks, it's increasingly difficult to see another way out. Texas didn't move Lynn or Gallo at the deadline, but that was less the result of an unwillingness to make trades and more because of dissatisfaction with the offers they received
Seems like it's a law that when the Rangers are competing or trying to win, they will be dealing with a sellers market. When the rangers are trying to rebuild, it will be a buyers market.

Team is cursed.

Quote:

The downside of the teardown mode of rebuilding is a well-known one: you risk alienating your fans long-term, and if the players don't develop, you may have detonated your core for nothing. The Texas Rangers are demonstrating the downside of the more cautious mode of rebuilding, failing to construct a team that's not good now or later, and ending up having to start over from scratch. Batten down the hatches Rangers fans, because plotting the course to contention is going to be much harder than initially thought.

We need talent in the worst way. Young talent. Our idiot front office thought odor was a stud and the guy has gone on to post double AA quality results. We are embarrassingly paying and playing him like he's an all star.

JD has never developed a stud pitcher since he's been here. We have to finish in the bottom 2 and get one of the Vanderbilt studs. Vanderbilt is a pitching factory. They do most of the work in developing guys. Look at whose come out of Vanderbilt recently : David Price, Sonny Gray, Walker Buehler, Kyle Wright, and mike minor.

Lose lose lose lose. Get Rocker or Leiter. If this front office gets in the top 2 and passes on getting one of those guys, there should be riots outside the stadium.

DallasAg 94
jtstanley4621
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

JD bought into not signing a big FA SP because you might lose him for a year because of TJ. Instead, he'd sign 3 SPs that were just recovering from injury, betting that one of them (Mike Minor, Lance Lynn) will perform. AJ Griffin, Tyson Ross... You could sign Darvish for $22M/yr for 6yrs knowing you will lose 1.5yrs, or sign 3 SPs for $7M/yr knowing at least one of them will be successful. That breeds instability and is disruptive to your long-term chemistry.

This more than anything else is what sunk us IMO. Darvish has been good for multiple seasons since leaving. JD used a bargain bin approach to our rotation for MULTIPLE MULTIPLE seasons. I think he should be fired as well. Everything feels stale
Old Tom Morris
Darvish was terrible and basically didn't play in 2018. He was very mediocre last year. They need help, but he wasn't it
EastSideAg2002
So if I am reading this right, we SHOULD be playing Odor everyday and have him hitting cleanup.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

JD looks too much at the gimmick to success. I mentioned the 2015 draft above, but JD has done that many times. Take a player that may be lower on your draft list, even if a higher one is available, because you can get another high-end prospect lower in the draft and use your Slot money to sign him.

With the help of Preller, he was able to exploit Int'l prospects.

Then, he fell in love with MoneyBall and has tried to out think everyone else.

I'm not going to argue with you about Odor. He is broken. He needs to go. There is nothing in Arlington for him.. Here is what he has done:
Odor hit .265, averaging 128G, 19HRs, and 8 SB his 1st 3 years. 285 SO in 384G (0.74 SO/G). He was 20, 21, and 22.
He has hit .215, averaging 115G, 20 HR, and 10 SB, since... but has 494 SO in 460 G (1.07 SO/G). (4 yrs)

Andrus hit .277, 6HR avg, 30 SBavg, and a total of 785 SO in 1379 G (0.57)
Since, he .259, 7HR avg, 13 SBavg, and a total of 176 SO in 271 G (0.65)

I've said this many times... the Rangers implemented system-wide the all-or-nothing plan. It was believed swinging for a HR was more advantageous than taking what the pitcher gives, "going the other way," etc, which has led to the over use of the shift. Swinging for a HR into a shift when the defense has everyone to the right of 2B was encouraged. The gimmick has failed.

JD bought into not signing a big FA SP because you might lose him for a year because of TJ. Instead, he'd sign 3 SPs that were just recovering from injury, betting that one of them (Mike Minor, Lance Lynn) will perform. AJ Griffin, Tyson Ross... You could sign Darvish for $22M/yr for 6yrs knowing you will lose 1.5yrs, or sign 3 SPs for $7M/yr knowing at least one of them will be successful. That breeds instability and is disruptive to your long-term chemistry.

Last gimmick was not pitching drafted players. He decided that most pitchers drafted lacked the core body strength and so he'd spend the 1st season (Usually ShortA - PNW/Spokane) building strength and not pitching. That was another disaster.

He has been absolutely abused on trades. Combined with losing on trying to leverage RuleVs, I have to believe he is among the worst rated GMs in the past 4 years.

Now he is going "Astros season tanking" to get top picks in the draft.

We fans bought into the "just need the new stadium." Now, we're going to lower the budget and have very little talent. Very little depth. Very few prospects.
Having Pittsburgh and some other team pass us in the tankathon would be both so 2020 and so Texas Rangers.

You just know that rocker and Leiter would go #1 and #2. We would be forced to rely on our scouts for pick #3 and we would probably pull another Dillon Tate because Kip ***g is a freaking idiot.

If the rangers don't finish in the bottom 2, it is yet another failure. Failure is all this organization has given us the last 5-6 years and we have a lot more of it coming. Can something please go right for once?

The A's and Astros will be hungry for wins so I hope they destroy us, but we have to figure out ways to lose to Anaheim and the diamondbacks.
Grapesoda2525
EastSideAg2002 said:

So if I am reading this right, we SHOULD be playing Odor everyday and have him hitting cleanup.
At this point, I don't care about on field results at all.

I just want the season to end and us to be in the top 2 drafting order. If odor is on one of his cold streaks, then run him out there for more embarrassment. I could really care less until this season is over.
xjrayx
AG
I vote we go with Luis Garcia as the opener for every game. Let him give up a ton of runs so that we are playing from behind. Let the young guys continue to hit, but not enough to actually comeback and win. I see no issues. Keep Odor in the lineup to break up any potential rallies.
Old Tom Morris
This is an idea I can get behind
Old Tom Morris
Lyles standing out there like "**** me, guess it wont matter tonight". Being a starter and watching some dickwad give up 4 runs without retiring a batter before you enter the game has to be odd
bert harbinson
AG
This just in...Rangers record an out.
Old Tom Morris
They need to start putting paper bags over the heads of those fan cutouts
Old Tom Morris
Is there a more pathetic way to start a game than to issue 3 walks and then give up a grand slam? I honestly think that might be worse than giving up 4 straight HRs
toucan82
We're playing some 4D chess to get that #1 pick
xjrayx
AG
Opposite field hit for Joey!!
Old Tom Morris
9 hole hitter hits one about 450
Grapesoda2525
Old Tom Morris said:

Is there a more pathetic way to start a game than to issue 3 walks and then give up a grand slam? I honestly think that might be worse than giving up 4 straight HRs
2020 Texas rangers are known for 3 things:

1) giving up more grand slams in a shortened season then many give up in a full 162 game season

2) could possibly end the season with the worst WRC of all time

3) over value their own players and use it as an excuse to not trade anyone for young talent.

Grapesoda2525
xjrayx said:

I vote we go with Luis Garcia as the opener for every game. Let him give up a ton of runs so that we are playing from behind. Let the young guys continue to hit, but not enough to actually comeback and win. I see no issues. Keep Odor in the lineup to break up any potential rallies.
It really is that bad. The situation is unbelievably dire.

Like I said...... we just really need young talent in a bad way. No matter how we get it, I don't care at this point. The plan the front office has tried the last 3-4 years has been a complete waste of time and a total failure.

Cross your fingers for either a selling of the team or lots of turnover in the off-season. If we're lucky, maybe we get both.
jtstanley4621
AG
Another one in the loss column please, I'm all for it. Burn this thing to the ground. Lose enough to fire JD
xjrayx
AG
Fortunately it feels like a matter of when and not if that the team will be sold. Would love for it to be this off-season, but it feels like it might be after another year or two with the new ballpark open before they sell. My only cause for optimism right now is that if we can get the #1 or #2 pick this year, it would be almost impossible to screw that up, and we will at least take one small step towards building young talent.
jtstanley4621
AG
Also Huff's first AB a 3 pitch strikeout where he just looked incapable of touching an MLB curve.

Only 1 AB I know I'm not calling him bad. I just think that was a hilarious first career AB
Grapesoda2525
jtstanley4621 said:

Also Huff's first AB a 3 pitch strikeout where he just looked incapable of touching an MLB curve.

Only 1 AB I know I'm not calling him bad. I just think that was a hilarious first career AB
Let him get the growing pains out of the way this year.

DallasAg 94
jtstanley4621
AG
Pirates lose tonight and remain dead last with 14 wins, but we did all you can hope to do vying for the first pick: lose
Grapesoda2525
jtstanley4621 said:

Pirates lose tonight and remain dead last with 14 wins, but we did all you can hope to do vying for the first pick: lose
Would be interesting to see where we are in the tankathon after tomorrow if the A's can do us all a favor and win both.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.