***** Official 2020 Texas Rangers Season Thread *****

172,351 Views | 3272 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCSWguru
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If the rangers have a 2-11 streak in them, now is the time.
bigcat22
AG
xjrayx
AG

Forgot to post about this yesterday. According to Statcast's Outs Above Average rankings, IKF is baseball's 3rd best defensive infielder. Petriello is a big fan of his now.
Cappo
AG
Too bad the Rangers are no where close at all to doing what the Stars are doing
TV Casualty
AG
Cappo said:

This run by the Stars was really unexpected, but not completely unthinkable or anything.

Unfortunately with the Rangers we are staring down a long road of suckage. Hopes for any kind of a magical season seems to be a long ways off.
powerbelly
AG
Cappo said:

Baseball doesnt really have the equivalent of the ability for a hot goalie to carry an okay team in the playoffs.
Grapesoda2525
TV Casualty said:

Cappo said:

This run by the Stars was really unexpected, but not completely unthinkable or anything.

Unfortunately with the Rangers we are staring down a long road of suckage. Hopes for any kind of a magical season seems to be a long ways off.
Mavericks run in 2010 was very similar to the stars run.

Hopefully we see the same ending.
jtstanley4621
AG
Minor had a good outing with the A's last night.

Here's what makes me concerned long term. Maybe this is the case with the narrative when most players transfer teams, but I feel like I often will hear something about them tweaking their mechanics or approach from what they were doing with the Rangers. Here's what the article said that I was reading:

Quote:

The A's looked beyond Minor's 5.60 ERA in seven starts with Texas and made the deal after identifying tweaks to his game that they believed could get him closer to his 2019 All-Star form. Among those fixes were taking advantage of Minor's impressive fastball spin rate, which ranks in the 97th percentile among Major League pitchers.

"It's just a matter of -- I felt like in the past I've been trying to trick guys rather than just attack them," Minor said. "Today, we threw a lot of fastballs that I probably normally wouldn't throw, and I had success with it."

Reading that just makes me scratch my head. Why were we unable to identify tweaks that were needed? Is the approach we are telling our pitchers to take flawed or too reliant on nibbling? Maybe it's just BS.
Cappo
AG
Has the showing of ownership giving a **** and the Stars scored quite a few goals in Calgary/Colorado series
Danny Vermin
Sweep us cheatin' astros.

Please.
xjrayx
AG
The ole 1-2-3 double play
TXAggie2011
AG
Stars have one of the brightest young talents in the game (Heiskanen) and other young, drafted talent that's stepped up and made impacts (Gurianov, etc.) And they have established veterans that aren't either completely past their prime (like Choo) or not injury reclamation projects.

I'm not sure the nature of their roster is anything like the Rangers'.
Danny Vermin
I think its obvious, the damn A's know what the hell they are doing.
xjrayx
AG
Oof, looks like a freak injury to Correa there. Looked like he just fouled it off his foot, but he couldn't put any weight on it.
jtstanley4621
AG
xjrayx said:

Oof, looks like a freak injury to Correa there. Looked like he just fouled it off his foot, but he couldn't put any weight on it.

If only he had known what pitch was coming he could have prevented fouling it off
Whats Up Brother
Wtf was White doing playing in basically CF there? Should have been an easy pop up catch
Grapesoda2525
jtstanley4621 said:

Minor had a good outing with the A's last night.

Here's what makes me concerned long term. Maybe this is the case with the narrative when most players transfer teams, but I feel like I often will hear something about them tweaking their mechanics or approach from what they were doing with the Rangers. Here's what the article said that I was reading:

Quote:

The A's looked beyond Minor's 5.60 ERA in seven starts with Texas and made the deal after identifying tweaks to his game that they believed could get him closer to his 2019 All-Star form. Among those fixes were taking advantage of Minor's impressive fastball spin rate, which ranks in the 97th percentile among Major League pitchers.

"It's just a matter of -- I felt like in the past I've been trying to trick guys rather than just attack them," Minor said. "Today, we threw a lot of fastballs that I probably normally wouldn't throw, and I had success with it."

Reading that just makes me scratch my head. Why were we unable to identify tweaks that were needed? Is the approach we are telling our pitchers to take flawed or too reliant on nibbling? Maybe it's just BS.
The A's are a very smart team. They always figure out a way to compete on a shoe string budget and they've developed way more pitchers and even some aces too in the last 20 years than the rangers have in their entire franchise history.

The guy in charge of developing A's pitchers had better be well paid because he deserves every penny.
Grapesoda2525
Could be a good day in the tankathon.

Red Sox won and the diamondbacks are destroying the angels. The angels might try to pass us. That 4 game series is going to be huge. We need to figure out a way to lose 3 out of 4 to them.

The damn pirates are losing like crazy tho. It will be tough to catch them, but I'd still be ecstatic to get 2nd.
wbt5845
AG
So, on a related front - the Mets have reached an agreement to be sold to Steve Cohen for $2.5 B. This is great news for Rangers fans. Mr. Simpson and Davis should have no trouble finding someone to pony up something in the $2.0 B neighborhood..
KT 90
AG
JD is at least kicking the tires on a discounted deal with Kluber. No telling what Kluber would pull on the open market, given two straight injury shortened seasons.

Quote:

Kluber won't return this year, and as someone who could reach free agency in the offseason, it's possible his Rangers tenure is over. However, it seems the club would like him back, as TR Sullivan of MLB.com tweets that general manager Jon Daniels said Tuesday the team approached Kluber about a revised contract worth less than the value of the hurler's 2021 option.

Kluber's upcoming option is valued at $18M, but the Rangers could instead buy him out for $1M and let him head to free agency after two straight rough years. Otherwise, Kluber could try to rebuild his stock on a Texas team whose rotation will be a major question mark going into next season. There's no guarantee Lynn will stick around, as he could fetch the team a decent return in a trade, while it'll be hard to count on Gibson and Lyles a year from now. Furthermore, no one else Texas has started has stepped up to claim a spot, so it could make sense for the club to keep Kluber around at a discount rate if he's willing to accept a salary to their liking.

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/rangers_could_look_to_bring_back_corey_kluber/s1_13237_32869412?utm_source=mb&utm_medium=email&mb_edition=20200916&mb_loc=right_h
Old Tom Morris
Surely Kluber would rather go elsewhere than pitch for this **** show. I'd say thanks but no thanks, go ahead and buy me out so I can test the market, But we can keep talking.
KT 90
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

Surely Kluber would rather go elsewhere than pitch for this **** show. I'd say thanks but no thanks, go ahead and buy me out so I can test the market, But we can keep talking.

I could see him taking a one year deal to pitch in what seems to be a pitcher's park to try to re-establish his value for another deal. But no telling what Kluber is thinking on that (haven't seen any quotes from Kluber lately at all). If he can get a decent multi-year deal somewhere, he'll take it I'm sure. I don't see JD offering a multi-year deal. He'll try to turn Kluber into one of his injury/rehab specials.

KT 90
AG
But yes, next year will probably be ugly in Arlington. We aren't bringing in any veteran free agents on a long term deal or anything similar to upgrade the team. It'll be young players and injury/rehab specials that JD can get on the cheap. And if the young players don't step up, we'll be right back at the bottom of the league.

jtstanley4621
AG
Seems like the pirates are opening up a lead for the first overall pick. Still at 14 wins. Hard for me to fathom that there might be a team in the MLB worse than this iteration of the Rangers
xjrayx
AG
Yea, it seems like the Pirates will be almost impossible to "catch", so looking like #2 is what we will be competing for. Still feel good about not screwing up that pick, but anything lower than that and my confidence in this front office to make a good pick diminishes significantly...
Old Tom Morris
Here's a pitcher with decent stuff, but he runs a 4.4 40 and has a 40 inch vertical leap. He'll also take below slot $$$. Let's use the #2 pick on him [/JD and Kip ***g]
KT 90
AG

Whats Up Brother
This ump is trash. Both Solak and Tejeda called out on pitches well out of the zone
KT 90
AG
Where has this Kyle GIbson been all season? 6 shutout innings so far on 70 pitches.

Tied 0-0 after 6

xjrayx
AG
Hell of a performance by Gibson tonight!
Quincey P. Morris
AG
And a great snag by Guzman. That would have tied the game if it got by.
Slamn Sharpe
Gibson with the complete game.

Rangers win 1-0
Old Tom Morris
Wins are kind of tough to stomach in a tankathon, but it was great to see Gibson throw well since they are committed to him and **** THE ASTROS!
TDub
AG
I just wanna lose
jtstanley4621
AG
It's like classes in an RPG. The Rangers are Chaotic Bad, meaning they remain terrible but so bad they can mess thing up for themselves like getting a Kyle Gibson CG out of nowhere which serves no purpose

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.