***** Official 2020 Texas Rangers Season Thread *****

170,799 Views | 3272 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCSWguru
Slamn Sharpe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gallo with a 1 out double! He's having an amazing day
KT 90
AG
Another line drive hit for Gallo. He looks to be heating up. Maybe we can get a couple others to heat up as well.
Slamn Sharpe
Nvm

Frazier walks. 2 men on
Grapesoda2525
McDadeTXAggie said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

SINCE 2014 :

The rangers are 27th in MLB in production ranking from the 2nd base position. The lineup looks like it has more synergy today with odor out of the mix.

Where did you get this information from? That's interesting and pretty telling
Fangraphs.

It's called WRC+ or weighted runs created plus.

In the same time frame SINCE ( 2014) the rangers also rank :

21st at SS
29th at 1B
24th at C
26th at LF
28th at CF

There are 30 teams total.

It's not surprising at all when you think about it.

1B : has been total dog crap since the last year or so of a Fielder.

C: we always run a band aid guy out there. Can't seem to develop one who is good at calling a game and hitting.

LF: Josh Hamilton was probably our last great left fielder.

CF: center field is always a sore spot for the rangers. It's always a Ian Desmond, delino deshields type of scrub.

SS: Elvis has had a lot of bad luck with injuries and most fans are inclined to give him some extra leeway because he was on our team during the " good years". Elvis is the least of our problems right now.
Slamn Sharpe
Bases loaded 2 outs

Heineman up
Slamn Sharpe
Swung on the first pitch. Stranded 3, inning over
KT 90
AG
Volquez finishes it up with a 1-2-3 inning.
Slamn Sharpe
The last SF hitter looked at all three pitches
gigem1223
Grapesoda2525 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

SINCE 2014 :

The rangers are 27th in MLB in production ranking from the 2nd base position. The lineup looks like it has more synergy today with odor out of the mix.

Fangraphs.

21st at SS
29th at 1B
24th at C
26th at LF
28th at CF

C: we always run a band aid guy out there. Can't seem to develop one who is good at calling a game and hitting.

CF: center field is always a sore spot for the rangers. It's always a Ian Desmond, delino deshields type of scrub.

SS: Elvis has had a lot of bad luck with injuries and most fans are inclined to give him some extra leeway because he was on our team during the " good years". Elvis is the least of our problems right now.

Agree with everything besides Elvis. Elvis, to me is a HUGE issue.
1. he's a below average fielding SS at the this point in his career
2. He's a below average hitter that keeps getting thrown in the heart of the line up
3. Management just seems complacent on not replacing him, cuz of the "golden years"
4. We have no one in the system close to replacing him.

Proposition Joe
gigem1223 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

SINCE 2014 :

Fangraphs.

21st at SS
29th at 1B
24th at C
26th at LF
28th at CF

2. He's a below average hitter that keeps getting thrown in the heart of the line up
3. Management just seems complacent on not replacing him, cuz of the "golden years"

2 - he's not a below average hitter
3/4 - you want to replace him, but then acknowledge there's no one in the system that could replace him

He was signed to be the long-term face of the franchise. On a young team he would be the veteran leader in the clubhouse that has been through the ups and downs before. On this team he that role isn't there to play, but it's not like his presence really handicaps the team's chances.
gigem1223
Proposition Joe said:

gigem1223 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

SINCE 2014 :

Fangraphs.

21st at SS
29th at 1B
24th at C
26th at LF
28th at CF

2 - he's not a below average hitter
3/4 - you want to replace him, but then acknowledge there's no one in the system that could replace him

He was signed to be the long-term face of the franchise. On a young team he would be the veteran leader in the clubhouse that has been through the ups and downs before. On this team he that role isn't there to play, but it's not like his presence really handicaps the team's chances.

He's been a below average hitter for the past few seasons. You can't even argue that. And it absolutely handicaps the team when he keeps batting in the 2 hole.
Schall 02
AG
I suppose you could debate Gallo, but otherwise there's not one All-Star-level player in our lineup. And not much hope of getting some.
gigem1223
Schall 02 said:

I suppose you could debate Gallo, but otherwise there's not one All-Star-level player in our lineup. And not much hope of getting some.

I don't think there's any reason to debate Gallo. He was an all star last year and has been even better this year thus far. Lance Lynn is definitely pitching as good as anyone right now as well.
Grapesoda2525
gigem1223 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

SINCE 2014 :

Fangraphs.

21st at SS
29th at 1B
24th at C
26th at LF
28th at CF

Under normal circumstances Elvis would be a problem,

However..... the team is so messed up that Elvis is probably #20 on the problem list. We have way too many more pressing issues to address.
JABQ04
AG
Wrong thread. Sorry
gigem1223
To my point about Elvis, the only team with a worse WAR from the shortstop position is Cincinnati in 2020. In 2019 Texas ranked 22nd in WAR.
Trucker 96
There's a reason he didn't opt out and it's not necessarily because it's so flippin awesome here. But if this lineup wasn't dog****, he's be hitting near the bottom of it most nights
gigem1223
Also to hit on C and CF, I think that changes in a few seasons. I believe Huff and Taveras are going to be really good ball players for this franchise. I'm holding out hope that we aggressively pursue Lindor in 2022. Couple that with Jung, Taveras, Huff being contributing players and things could change quickly in the right direction.
Trucker 96
Yeah, the good news that it's not like they need to go find 9 guys to fix this. 2 free agents (which could have been done this offseason) + 2 quality prospects developing would turn a lot of this around.
sburg2007
The start castellanos is off to is impressive.
Proposition Joe
As Grapesoda said - Elvis would be a problem if... well Elvis was the problem.

Most knew how bad that contract was going to look on the tail-end when it was signed. He was signed to be the face of the franchise before we really knew that Adrian Beltre was going to beat father time.

Andrus' production would be frustrating if it was hindering the team's chances. As it stands at worst it turns a 0.460 club into a 0.430 club.

Sadly Andrus' contract doesn't look to be a significant problem until 2022 and 2023 -- when this team actually might start having a roster that can compete.
Grapesoda2525
Proposition Joe said:

As Grapesoda said - Elvis would be a problem if... well Elvis was the problem.

Most knew how bad that contract was going to look on the tail-end when it was signed. He was signed to be the face of the franchise before we really knew that Adrian Beltre was going to beat father time.

Andrus' production would be frustrating if it was hindering the team's chances. As it stands at worst it turns a 0.460 club into a 0.430 club.

Sadly Andrus' contract doesn't look to be a significant problem until 2022 and 2023 -- when this team actually might start having a roster that can compete.
I'd be more optimistic about our outlook if our pitching was young, but they're all old guys. They will be gone by the time some of these players ( HOPEFULLY) develop.

That's a whole different problem staring us in the face.
Proposition Joe
There does not seem to be any roster plan in place long-term. I think if there was a plan, it was to buy on the bargain bin and flip for talent at the deadline.

That has now bitten us in the ass because some of that talent is injured (Kluber, Leclerc) and with the gimmicky season you'll be lucky to get 25 cents on the dollar at the deadline.
wbt5845
AG
Andrus is "only" $14 MM for 2021 and 2022 - then club option on $15 MM for 2023. Hard to believe we were all worried about him exercising his option last year and leaving us without a SS - now we're worried he stayed.

As for everyday player prospects coming up, the guys to look for this season - but probably next - are:

3B - Jung
CF - Taveras
C - Huff

Our best SS prospects are still teenagers, so it'll be awhile before - or if - we see those guys.

The key here - IMHO - is Guzman. He was every bit the power hitting prospect that Gallo was coming up. And I love his defense. If he can get it figured out at the plate, and then Jung comes up - Andrus is suddenly the weak link in the infield.
Proposition Joe
wbt5845 said:

Andrus is "only" $14 MM for 2021 and 2022 - then club option on $15 MM for 2023. Hard to believe we were all worried about him exercising his option last year and leaving us without a SS - now we're worried he stayed.

I don't think anyone was really worried about Elvis being that valuable on the backend of that contract that he would walk early. This was an overpay even in 2013.
Legal Custodian
AG
Big fan of Solak right now. I think he can be a solid hitter in our lineup, either in the 2 hole or maybe hitting something like 6th if we can get another bat or two in the offseason. I think he's a Michael Young type player but not necessarily at his level right now. But I think that's his topside and I think what he'll get to in a year or two.
wbt5845
AG
Proposition Joe said:

wbt5845 said:

I don't think anyone was really worried about Elvis being that valuable on the backend of that contract that he would walk early. This was an overpay even in 2013.
Short memories. I bolded your quote above to contrast with this DMN article from September 2018. He missed a lot of time that season due to an elbow fracture from a HBP, but in 2017 he hit .297/.337/.471

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/rangers/2018/09/11/will-elvis-andrus-remain-a-texas-ranger-in-2019-here-s-why-it-appears-likely-but-not-certain/

Quote:

Andrus is in the middle of an eight-year, $120 million contract he signed before the 2015 season. The contract includes opt-out clauses after this season and again after 2019. The contract, which averages $14.75 million, also includes a $15 million option for 2023 that would vest based on plate appearances. If he walked away from the contract after this season, he would be leaving at least $59 million on the table. He must decide within five days of the completion of the World Series.

The question is whether Andrus, who turned 30 in August, could find a better deal. With Manny Machado on the market this winter, Andrus would clearly be no better than the second choice of contenders.

The biggest free-agent contract for a shortstop last winter was Zack Cozart's three-year, $38 million deal with the Los Angeles Angels in which Cozart agreed to move to third base.

Whether this discussion was warranted or not is debatable, but saying "I don't think anyone was worried" about Andrus leaving isn't accurate. The writer of this article seems to have been, so at least "someone" was. In 2017, guys with Andrus' numbers were getting a lot more than $15 MM.
Proposition Joe
There was a chance he might test free agency after 2018 and 2019 -- that was part of why no one was really thrilled with the contract as we were taking a long-term risk on a player without a ton of pop and he could still walk and get a fresh contract in his prime or we could get stuck with an under-producing player.

The vesting/opt-out in 2023 is what no one was really concerned about.
DallasAg 94
AgBQ-00
AG
If selling is truly what is coming I am hoping we get an owner that actually wants to compete and we get front office folks with a plan
Mr Gigem
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

If selling is truly what is coming I am hoping we get an owner that actually wants to compete and we get front office folks with a plan

wbt5845
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

The plan is clear.

Get a new stadium built to increase the value of the team.

Let long-term contracts cycle out.

Sign short-term gambles in hopes to trade off for prospects.

Stack the minor-league system with cheap high-ceiling talent.

Sell the team for huge money positioned to win.

Prophet.

The talent has just not materialized... and the trade-market has had very little value in the past few years.

I'll take an unpopular position - do you blame them?

Mr. Davis and Simpson showed no compunction with opening up their wallets to do whatever it took to win through the pennant runs - 7 years worth, pretty much. I doubt the club showed positive cash flow through much of this era. Pay Fielder, Hammel, Lee, Choo, Beltre, Darvish - on and on and on.

And now, with the O&G market tanked, they're sitting on what? Over a BILLION dollars of equity

GD right I'd sell.
Trucker 96
What's frustrating is to have seen this team mismanage the draft so poorly that it seems like it's sitting in the same place it was in 2017. And they basically chose to punt on the 2020 draft, which made cheaping out in 2019 a waste.
Mozart Paintings
AG
prophet?
Aggie_3
AgBQ-00 said:

We had the opportunity to have Cuban last time and the league did everything they could to find a different buyer group

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.