***** Official 2020 Texas Rangers Season Thread *****

169,781 Views | 3272 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCSWguru
Slamn Sharpe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How do you go 3-0 to Tatis Jr with the bases loaded??
KT 90
AG
Good grief. Can we find a couple of slug relievers off the scrap heap to replace Nacisio and Chavez? Or just call up some young guys. Brutal.

KT 90
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

How do you go 3-0 to Tatis Jr with the bases loaded??

Hey, his dad used to play for the Rangers, so it's all good I guess

Slamn Sharpe
I remember seeing him on a game day souvenir while he was in the Minors. I couldn't wait for him to join the team and thought he might be the next big thing. Sadly that skipped a generation
MSFC Aggie
AG
Maybe this is the year of the rona version of the June swoon?
Slamn Sharpe
Are they really upset Tatis swung at the 3-0 pitch? Ridiculous
KT 90
AG
KT 90 said:

Good grief. Can we find a couple of slug relievers off the scrap heap to replace Nacisio and Chavez? Or just call up some young guys. Brutal.

At least Evan Grant seems to agree with me:

KT 90
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

Might be more to it, but we threw behind Machado. Apparently Padres are concerned enough about Tatis that they took him out of the game. Afraid we might take him out on a play at second?

Slamn Sharpe
KT 90 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Might be more to it, but we threw behind Machado. Apparently Padres are concerned enough about Tatis that they took him out of the game. Afraid we might take him out on a play at second?

Idk. Either way, if I'm in the MLB and that's my at bat, I'm swinging for the fence
KT 90
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

I remember seeing him on a game day souvenir while he was in the Minors. I couldn't wait for him to join the team and thought he might be the next big thing. Sadly that skipped a generation

I mainly remember him for his big ears:

and pretty surprised to see he finished with a career average of .265 and 113 HR's.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/tatisfe01.shtml

xjrayx
AG
Was really hoping the Astros and A's would lose tonight to at least make this game not suck as much, but Astros just won. And I'm sure the A's will find a way to comeback.
Slamn Sharpe
Didn't he have an awkward batting stance, sorta like Juan Gonzalez's? I remember the big ears too, that stood out immediately when I saw his picture for the first time.
Grapesoda2525
2 ****ty days in a row
Slamn Sharpe
Refsnyder strikes out after starting his at bat 3-0
KT 90
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

Didn't he have an awkward batting stance, sorta like Juan Gonzalez's? I remember the big ears too, that stood out immediately when I saw his picture for the first time.

I didn't really recall it, but he does hold his bat high and flat like Gonzalez did:

alvtimes
seems to be another poorly constructed team...at some point does JD feel some heat for bad drafts and development..... or does it point straight to ownership and money issues? On the plus side ... in spite of numbers... I give JD crdit for putting a starting staff together and having a 2nd closer available.
Mr Gigem
AG
Well ownership flat out lied about what the payroll would be, so there is that
Grapesoda2525
Have they even given people their refunds yet?

Need new ownership, new gm, and new scouts, new roster.
Mr Gigem
AG
Yes we have
Aggie_3
AccidentProne said:

It would be nice if they would sell the team
_lefraud_
AG
Maybe JD can go on Shark Tank and pitch to Cuban why he should invest in the club (and him).
xjrayx
AG
Woody is getting roasted for his comments about the "unwritten rule" Tatis broke by swinging on 3-0 while up 7, and I think deservedly so. I also think Tingler was even more wrong for not sticking up for his player. As much as it sucks to see it happen to your team, watching Tatis play the way he does is exciting, and good for the game. He should be rewarded, not punished, for being fun to watch. Thoughts?
South Platte
AccidentProne said:

The payroll is irrelevant. The issue is our lack of ability to evaluate, draft, and develop talent. A number of teams with smaller payrolls have proven that it really isn't that difficult. With Texas, in our 49th season, we claim that it's nearly impossible.

Will our franchise ever fix this part of the organization?
powerbelly
AG
Yes, baseball needs more fun.

I have zero problem with a guy swinging away at 3-0 in that situation.

Proposition Joe
I think people are looking to generate some controversy. A coach got asked what he thought about it, he said he didn't like it. Whether it's what he uses to try and motivate his club, or just something that irked him, it's about as insignificant an ordeal you can have in an insignificant season.
CampingAg
AG
I haven't had a problem with Woodward but this is embarrassing. We scored 5 in the bottom of the 8th against Seattle last week. SD was only up by seven. You know how to avoid blowing a seven-run lead? Hit a granny and make it an eleven-run lead.
Mr Gigem
AG
I have no problem with Tatis swinging away on a 3-0 count. In fact, I would expect Gallo to do the same thing. Hey pitcher, don't want to give up a grand slam? Don't throw a damn meatball right down the middle to one of the hottest hitters in the game.

You play to win the game. Quit whining about the "game within the game." Put your big boy pants on and come back out the next day ready to play again. It's a 60 game season, and EVERY game matters way more when you're trying to make the postseason.
TXAggie2011
AG
South Platte said:

AccidentProne said:

The payroll is irrelevant. The issue is our lack of ability to evaluate, draft, and develop talent. A number of teams with smaller payrolls have proven that it really isn't that difficult. With Texas, in our 49th season, we claim that it's nearly impossible.

Payroll is not "irrelevant." If you look at who is around in the playoffs more often than others, its the teams with larger payrolls. Meanwhile, its been years since the Athletics, Rays, etc. won a playoff series.

I don't think anyone thinks they need to be the LA Dodgers, but on the whole, I think it is pretty clear money helps.
mavsfan4ever
AG
AccidentProne said:

I have no problem with Tatis swinging away on a 3-0 count. In fact, I would expect Gallo to do the same thing. Hey pitcher, don't want to give up a grand slam? Don't throw a damn meatball right down the middle to one of the hottest hitters in the game.

You play to win the game. Quit whining about the "game within the game." Put your big boy pants on and come back out the next day ready to play again. It's a 60 game season, and EVERY game matters way more when you're trying to make the postseason.
This. I didn't even know it was an unwritten rule that you can't swing at certain pitches when you are up in the game. So what is the unwritten rule exactly? What a joke.

TXAggie2011
AG
I think baseball outgrew most of its gentlemanly unwritten rules about a century ago.
Proposition Joe
It's good to see that not even sports reporting is exempt from the "it's a slow news day, what relatively innocuous event can we artificially fan flames on to get people talking?"
Bunk Moreland
what Tatis did wasn't an unwritten rule. National media just wraps it up into that narrative and it's lazy.
Grapesoda2525
South Platte said:

AccidentProne said:

Blame Kip ***g and his crew
PatAg
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

what Tatis did wasn't an unwritten rule. National media just wraps it up into that narrative and it's lazy.
It's not national media when you have our manager saying it verbatim in an interview
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea makes me think much less of Woodward. That's ridiculous.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.