***** Official 2020 Texas Rangers Season Thread *****

172,149 Views | 3272 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCSWguru
Mr Gigem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Grapesoda2525
dvldog said:

For these projected ETAs, how does not playing MiLB for a year affect that? Do all of them need to be pushed back a year at this point since they're getting zero development right now?
Good questions.

For those, I have no idea. Like seemingly everything else pandemic related, it's probably wait and see. We might need to give them another year to get acclimated and that would push it back to 2022.
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG

KT 90
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

dvldog said:

For these projected ETAs, how does not playing MiLB for a year affect that? Do all of them need to be pushed back a year at this point since they're getting zero development right now?
Good questions.

For those, I have no idea. Like seemingly everything else pandemic related, it's probably wait and see. We might need to give them another year to get acclimated and that would push it back to 2022.

check to see how many of them are on the 60 man roster that is able to practice. If not on that roster, probably going to need to add a year. Might need to add time to the others that are on the roster too, but at least they are practicing and players intrasquad games.

Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

I like Trevino better than Mathis at least.
KT 90
AG
early game today...

KT 90
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

KT 90 said:

I like Trevino better than Mathis at least.
They are probably hoping to move Mathis to a contender at some point or to a team with an injured catcher, but we aren't getting much of anything in return if that happens. We might as well release him and let Trevino get more experience. Mathis is also the catcher for the games Minor pitches.

xjrayx
AG
Excited to see Tejeda get an opportunity today!
KT 90
AG
xjrayx said:

swung at the first pitch he saw in his first MLB at bat and.... popped out to LF.

xjrayx
AG
Welp, looks like we can stop watching early this afternoon...
KT 90
AG
ugh... already down 5-0 in the 4th inning, A's still batting. Minor not exactly having his best outing.

Grapesoda2525
Looks like another sweep in the Oakland sewer.

Was anyone realistically expecting a different outcome?
CampingAg
AG
Aaand we're getting picked off first by right handers down five runs.
CampingAg
AG
CampingAg said:

Aaand we're getting picked off first by right handers down five runs.
Followed by our first triple of the year (I think?). Of course.
KT 90
AG
KT 90 said:

xjrayx said:

swung at the first pitch he saw in his first MLB at bat and.... popped out to LF.

next at bat he again swings at the first pitch and.... gets an RBI single this time. Congrats to Tejada!
xjrayx
AG

This. Would at least make tuning in a little more interesting every day.
xjrayx
AG

Also, **** this season and what it's doing to pitchers...
KT 90
AG
xjrayx said:

I'd have no issue rolling at least some of those guys out there to see what they can do. Might as well see what kind of potential they have. Might hold back a couple to avoid having the service time clock start ticking though.

Not sure what the service time rules even are this year with the shortened season.

KT 90
AG
Home Run Tejada! First pitch of course...

3 major league AB's, and he's seen 3 total pitches.
DallasAg 94
Trucker 96
If they want to play them now, they are basically going to get MLB service time credit at a 3 to 1 ratio.
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

KT 90 said:

xjrayx said:

I'd have no issue rolling at least some of those guys out there to see what they can do. Might as well see what kind of potential they have. Might hold back a couple to avoid having the service time clock start ticking though.

Not sure what the service time rules even are this year with the shortened season.

I thought you... or someone else indicated it was 2.89 Games of service, per real game. Was that just projection?

It wasn't me, but that would seem to make sense.

Trucker 96
Jeff Passan at ESPN wrote about this a few weeks ago. The formula will be this for 2020 per the March agreement (remember, they do it based on days, not games):

# of days on roster / 66 league days * 186 = player's credit for this year

So the multiplier is basically 186/66 = 2.82

172 days of credit counts as a season of service, and baseball just adds it up cumulatively regardless of when or how often a guy is added or dropped from the roster.

So for your real world example, if you put one of these younguns on the roster for just 40 days, he's going to accrue 2/3 of a season of service. So you'd better hope you make the best of those 40 days in his development because that's a decent price to pay.
Trucker 96
Although I guess you can always do what the Astros did by dropping them down for enough days in future years to **** them over on the service time cutoffs before each offseason. But either way, for now, you're paying 2.82 to 1.
Schall 02
AG
Evan Grant article calling for team to pony up and sign Gallo long term feels a little like a shot over the bow.
xjrayx
AG

Anyone else catch this on the broadcast today??? Not a good look at all...
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Surely nobody could be that stupid.
Trucker 96
Doing that at a franchise so consumed with its wokeness that 2 weeks into the season it is still going with BLM on the mound. They are going to find a different bench coach
agsalaska
AG
Ranger #007 said:

Surely nobody could be that stupid.
Man that dud has no idea what that salute means. If he did he wouldnt have done it.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
bigcat22
AG
Anyone else agree with Evan? I mean, assuming they do not end up cancelling the season, I think it might be best long term to try and deal Lynn & Gallo.

Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I have no expectation that Gallo will get a deal when it is time. We'll let him go so we can get a "below the radar" compensatory pick. I think we should keep him, bit I don't think we will. He'll probably end up with the Yankees or an AL West opponent.
Trucker 96
There's no way his value is max'd in this ****ed up season
toucan82
If you were Gallo, would you even want to stay and play for a team that looks like it will be bad for a while?
TXAggie2011
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

There's no way his value is max'd in this ****ed up season
In terms of time remaining on the contract and number of teams that believe they have a chance to win, his value will likely never be higher. That might be what Grant is thinking about.

In terms of how teams generally will approach trades this year, I'm not sure anyone knows how that's going to go.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.