***** Official 2020 Texas Rangers Season Thread *****

169,783 Views | 3272 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCSWguru
toucan82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!
Proposition Joe
It's just words. When a player goes anywhere and has any kind of quick success then it's always a "tweak" or a "change of scenery".

9 times out of 10 they wind up about what you thought they would once the same size gets large.

Minor is sporting a 4.76 ERA since the trade -- not exactly something to think we missed the boat on.
KT 90
AG
toucan82 said:

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!

True. But in this case the "game" is to get the highest draft pick possible . Anything short of a slam dunk pick and JD will probably screw it up.

Looks like the Pirates have a commanding lead for #1. We are battling Boston/Arizona/Washington mostly right now for draft positioning.

wbt5845
AG
Proposition Joe said:

It's just words. When a player goes anywhere and has any kind of quick success then it's always a "tweak" or a "change of scenery".

9 times out of 10 they wind up about what you thought they would once the same size gets large.

Minor is sporting a 4.76 ERA since the trade -- not exactly something to think we missed the boat on.
Martin Perez is another example. OH MY GOD JD LET HIM GO AND HE'S GREAT FOR THE TWINS - JD SUUUUUUXXXXX!!!!!!

Then...

52.0 IP
43 H
27 R
25 ER
26 BB
4.33 ERA

Seven Costanza
AG
It looks like he's been pretty lucky this year, but a 4.33 ERA by itself can actually be a pretty useful piece in a rotation.
CampingAg
AG
CJ has Covid, so Nadel and Hicks are simulcasting. I'm 100% in favor of the simulcast going forward. A la Ralph and Razor.
Grapesoda2525
I wish I still had fox sports. What a rare treat to watch Nadel call a game instead of just hear one.
Grapesoda2525
We will gain on the Red Sox if we lose today.
hawk1689
AG
Do you not like CJ? I think he's great.
powerbelly
AG
CampingAg said:

CJ has Covid, so Nadel and Hicks are simulcasting. I'm 100% in favor of the simulcast going forward. A la Ralph and Razor.
Amen.
TDub
AG
hawk1689 said:

CJ couldn't hold Josh Lewin's jock strap
Stating The Obvious
Well that was a piss poor 9th inning. Good job guys. Way to really show some effort there
hawk1689
AG
They don't do the same job. I never had a problem with Grieve, but he's just so far removed from the game that he rarely adds any insight. I think that CJ speaks more to avid fans like us rather than the casual fan.

Lewin always sounded like a corny goofball to me.
powerbelly
AG
hawk1689 said:

They don't do the same job. I never had a problem with Grieve, but he's just so far removed from the game that he rarely adds any insight. I think that CJ speaks more to avid fans like us rather than the casual fan.

CJ rarely adds anything of value and often misuses advanced metrics. We would be better off with a mute than CJ.
CampingAg
AG
hawk1689 said:

Wouldn't say I dislike him. This crew is just "meh" to me though. Tough to beat Josh and Tag in their heyday.
Grapesoda2525
CampingAg said:

hawk1689 said:

Wouldn't say I dislike him. This crew is just "meh" to me though. Tough to beat Josh and Tag in their heyday.
Messing up the broadcasting was without a doubt Nolan's worst contribution to the team.

He kicked out Lewin and replaced him with Rhadigan who is probably the worst play by play announcer in sports history. The guy was a total idiot.

They still haven't gotten back to that high standard. Everyone they've brought in after lewin has been bad.
hawk1689
AG
You'll get no argument from me on Rhadigan.
Grapesoda2525
hawk1689 said:

You'll get no argument from me on Rhadigan.
I cringed every time he said

" lets play some ball y'all!" And when a player hit a home run. "Yes he did!".

CampingAg
AG
Yep. We've been wandering through the TV broadcast wilderness for sure. Dave Barnett, Rhadigan, Busby, now Dave and CJ.

But on the flip side, we have been blessed to have what we've had on the radio side in DFW. Nadel, Brad Sham, Cooperstein, and Ralph/Razor.
PatAg
AG
Profar seems to be having a decent season
jtstanley4621
AG
Not a fan of the duo we have right now at all. I don't feel like Raymond gets excited really ever. He's got the cadence of someone reading out of a phone book. Nitkowski isn't very compelling either. I also feel like Raymond tries to force awkward jokes in and they typically fall quite flat. Would be 100 percent in favor of getting two new people in there.
JWinTX
Steve Busby was fine. He did a good job, he was just getting old. He and Grieve were light years better than what we have now.
Old Tom Morris
Raymond is interesting because he's funny on The Ticket and has his moments, but I just don't think he's a very good baseball broadcaster. I think part of it is that he doesn't judge the ball off the bat well, so it's hard to call a game well. I like CJ and attempting to bring a modern view of the game. Put him with a competent PBP guy and I think he'd be very good.

Buzz and Grieve were like watching a game from the an old folks home. Buzz wasn't judging the ball off the bat worth a **** either for a number of years before he retired.
South Platte
etxag18 said:

hawk1689 said:

Lewin + Norm would be incredible.
South Platte
hawk1689 said:

Grapesoda2525
South Platte said:

hawk1689 said:

The only gripe about lewin is he said some story about Vernon wells and Michael young being friends / roommates at least 50 times. Always made me roll my eyes when he brought it up again.
ryanhnc10
AG
To be fair, it's pretty hard to get excited about this team and hard to be prepared for the one extra base hit we get per game
JWinTX
South Platte said:

etxag18 said:

hawk1689 said:

Lewin + Norm would be incredible.
Now this would be a cartoon broadcast team--you'd have crazy stories and stats the entire broadcast
Seven Costanza
AG
Raymond at least has a nice "announcer voice". He doesn't offer much else, though.

CJ is okay, and I think he'll continue to grow with time.
TXAggie2011
AG
JWinTX said:

Steve Busby was fine. He did a good job, he was just getting old. He and Grieve were light years better than what we have now.
On their own individual merit, Grieve is pretty good (or was), and Busby was adequate.

But like any team, I think you got to want the commentating "team" to be well-rounded and that roster just wasn't.
Grapesoda2525
ryanhnc10 said:

To be fair, it's pretty hard to get excited about this team and hard to be prepared for the one extra base hit we get per game
Lewin was good because he had pop culture type stuff when the team stunk, was getting blown out, and you didn't feel like changing the channel.

Then Nolan brought in all of these boring " baseball all of the time" geeks.
AggieEP
I can't seem to find video or photographic proof, but I'll always remember this story https://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=1822940 from 2004 when TAG used the telestrator to circle the guy who knocked the boy over to get the ball. There was a game later that year where TAG tried to see if he could just white out the whole screen by scribbling with the telestrator.

Those were some fun years with Josh and TAG. Team was on the upswing punctuated by the back to back WS runs and the players were young and exciting.
Old Tom Morris
We have officially entered "this broadcast needs a Lewin" territory
bigcat22
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

We have officially entered "this broadcast needs a Lewin" territory

I mean, how can you not miss this guy. He is just behind Holtz and Nadel in my book.

Old Tom Morris
More like Up and In

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.