***** Official 2020 Texas Rangers Season Thread *****

172,153 Views | 3272 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCSWguru
Trucker 96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LOL. Hello short porch. An oops HR
Quincey P. Morris
AG
gigem1223
Allard getting rocked. Josh Jung siting
KT 90
AG
Allied getting pounded. Hasn't gotten an out and 4 runs in already.
gigem1223
Tired of seeing Jags in the line up like Rivera, Hieneman, and Refsnyder. Play the guys with actual big league talent like Taveras and Jung. They need all the bats they can get.
PatAg
AG
gigem1223 said:

Tired of seeing Jags in the line up like Rivera, Hieneman, and Refsnyder. Play the guys with actual big league talent like Taveras and Jung. They need all the bats they can get.
Did the season start?
gigem1223
No but with no minor leagues this year, guys like Jung and Taveras will not get many in game at bats. What good is it to the team in the long run for a Hieneman or Refsnyder to get at bats in an exhibition game?
wbt5845
AG
Playing guys this year costs the club a year of service. A lot of teams are going to stow away the rookies just for that reason.
KT 90
AG
Rangers set initial 30 man roster: https://www.mlb.com/rangers/news/rangers-announce-30-man-opening-day-roster

Leody Taveras makes the squad for speed and defense is the biggest surprise. We can definitely use some speed on the bases and also defense in the outfield, so it'll be interesting if he is just a late inning replacement or if he gets some ab's as well.

KT 90
AG
T.R. Sullivan has a season preview type article (high level, not too long). https://www.mlb.com/rangers/news/rangers-2020-opening-day-preview

This nugget might generate some comments on here:

Quote:

Team MVP will be ...

Odor. The default answer is Gallo, but Odor has looked good both in Spring Training and Summer Camp. He seems stronger mentally and his swing appears to be under control. Through his first 14 Summer Camp games, he had five home runs, five walks and just five strikeouts. Odor hit .205/.283/.439 last season but he still led the Rangers with 30 home runs and 93 RBIs.

I'd be happy if Odor could just hit .250 and cut down on the strikeouts and overall bad at bats. If that means cutting the HR's in half, then so be it.

KT 90
AG
Doh.... first big name player to test positive is....

xjrayx
AG
xjrayx
AG

Would have been the #5 through 60 games last year. Interesting. This will be such a weird season, I'm all for more fun chaos!
Cappo
Quincey P. Morris
AG
The night view looks nicer.
BarryProfit
The girls all get prettier at closing time...
CampingAg
AG
Now that looks awesome. Night and day difference.
Mr Gigem
AG
CampingAg said:

Now that looks awesome. Night and day difference.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Here for the count. Go Rangers!
AgBQ-00
AG
Opening day!!! Go Rangers!!
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Powwwwwwww!
Aggie_3
Let's go! First day of the road to the 2020 World Series sponsored by Corona light
wbt5845
AG
Major props to Accident Prone for letting me attend Opening Day - even if it was about 8 hours before game time.

Observations.

1. The stadium is nothing short of stunning inside. The pictures don't do it justice. We have a palace to play in. Selling tickets to see games here will be like shooting fish in a barrel once word gets out how impressive the place is.

2. Views are from my season tickets. Great value there at $32/seat/game.

3. The field looks 10X better in person than on TV. It looks like real grass in person. Hopefully TV will get the color dialed in better.

4. The railings are much smaller than at TBIA so not nearly as big an obstruction.

5. I will buy single game tickets, when I can, for: (a) the rocking chair seats in far left field, and (b) the outfield pavilion (the seats seeming to hang over left field). Those both look to be great places to watch the game.

6. The upper deck is much smaller than Enron Field. The seating area is laid out so much better than that place.

7. The exterior material everyone is saying makes the stadium look like a grill is ETFE. It might look funny outside, but my god it lets in TONS of natural light. This is the first indoor stadium I've been in that didn't feel like a cave - and that includes Enron Field. Props to the Rangers for sacrificing outer aesthetics for inner functionality. Yeah, the I.M. Pei's of the world may tsk tsk, but who cares?

8. AP pointed this out - the power alleys look very, very deep. If trying to go yard to CF, better hit it straight away. Also, there are other aspects of the park (which are classified for now) which really make this place a pitcher / small ball friendly venue. Pitchers will want to come here.

LET'S PLAY BALL!

Trucker 96
Good pics. The field does look great and I don't really have any complaints from what I've seen about the inside other than not a fan of the suites behind home plate, but I'm sure I'll just get used to that.
wbt5845
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Good pics. The field does look great and I don't really have any complaints from what I've seen about the inside other than not a fan of the suites behind home plate, but I'm sure I'll just get used to that.

Concur. You know there'll be some drunk dude making an ass outta himself every now and then.
Trucker 96
Yeah, there are a couple of things about it. I've always found other stadiums with a similar setup to be a little distracting when watching on tv. And the field level suites kind of scream "JerryWorld". But I think the rest of the inside looks great. Also like how you can view the game from the concourse.

Curious to see how the dimensions work out. There will be some well hit balls that come up short, but at the same time, some cheap homers to be had
Trucker 96
And I think the roof itself is fine. I think it's the awning and wall with the T on it that make it look ridiculous, which given that is the east side, I don't understand why that wasn't mostly glass
xjrayx
AG

Opening Day lineup! Let's go!!!
option short side
AG
I might of missed it but why is Lynn our opening day starter over Kluber?
xjrayx
AG
Woody said it was between Lynn and Minor since they were both with us last season, and said "I felt like since I gave it to Mike last year, I'll give it to Lance this year."

https://www.mlb.com/news/lance-lynn-rangers-opening-day-starter-2020
AgBQ-00
AG
That is beautiful!!
KT 90
AG
Nice pics. May have to find time to get to Arlington and take a tour sometime to check it out in person.
vette
AG
Are we going to score any runs this year with that lineup? Man...
Trucker 96
Pretty crazy that a mostly journeyman who careered last year is hitting 3rd. A number of guys in that lineup are capable of putting up good #'s for a stretch, but also capable of being brutal. We'll have to hope the stars align and they have a mostly good stretch in the short season. It could be really, really ugly if they dont
Slamn Sharpe
Looks really nice

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.