***** Official 2020 Texas Rangers Season Thread *****

169,785 Views | 3272 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCSWguru
Slamn Sharpe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DD looks like he should be in the UFC. I hope his bat stays hot long enough for the long ball to return. Its been too long since one left the yard
KT 90
AG
Danny Vermin said:

He looks straight out of the jersey shore but his words were something a leader and humble guy would say.

Correct. He also mentioned Frazier as one of the leaders of the team,. This team could use a little fire and spunk, so hopefully Dietrich can stay hot for a while and fill that role.

He can play quite a few positions (2b, 1B, 3b, LF, RF), so it'll be interesting to see how we use him... and how that impacts Odor.
Grapesoda2525
Legal Custodian said:

Just in case you didn't see the press conference. You could say he has a little bit of swag

Odor looks just as goofy if not goofier with his balding head, gold chain, unbuttoned shirt, pine tarred helmet, and una bomber beard.
TDub
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Don't forget Mathis had a key hit tonight.

Chirinos probably would've grounded into a double play or struck out if he was in the lineup instead.

Mathis got his 1 hit every 50 ABs and suddenly he's better than Chirinos lololol
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Mathis' BA is 2x Chirinos' right now. Granted, he's had 16 ABs but Chirinos just looks bad up there.

I don't trust Mathis either for the most part, and given more opportunities would likely have the same BA as last year but he's more clutch than Chirinos right now.
wbt5845
AG
Mathis and Chirinos is a good enough combo to hold us over until Sam Huff is ready. He sure looks like the real deal and *cross fingers* will be our everyday catcher in 2021.
Grapesoda2525
etxag18 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Don't forget Mathis had a key hit tonight.

Chirinos probably would've grounded into a double play or struck out if he was in the lineup instead.

Mathis got his 1 hit every 50 ABs and suddenly he's better than Chirinos lololol
Have you been watching the whole year?

Mathis has played circles around chirinos both at hitting and behind the plate.
Grapesoda2525
Trucker 96
gigem1223 said:

Eh idk. Having lock down bullpen arms for late innings is critical in today's MLB. If Montero and Hernandez continue they'll get paid.
Montero is not an FA until 2023 and Hernandez until 2026. My point is that so many of these bullpen guys are year-to-year on whether they are lockdown or not. That tends to be the nature of bullpens and bullpen arms. Sam Dyson was lock down until he wasn't. Jose Leclerc was lock down until he wasn't. I'm just saying you keep these young live arms flowing vs. getting too ahead of yourself to pay a guy long-term based on short-term results.

These guys are actually making my point. The lockdown guy isn't lockdown now, so it's been great to have more live arms ready.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

gigem1223 said:

Eh idk. Having lock down bullpen arms for late innings is critical in today's MLB. If Montero and Hernandez continue they'll get paid.
Montero is not an FA until 2023 and Hernandez until 2026. My point is that so many of these bullpen guys are year-to-year on whether they are lockdown or not. That tends to be the nature of bullpens and bullpen arms. Sam Dyson was lock down until he wasn't. Jose Leclerc was lock down until he wasn't. I'm just saying you keep these young live arms flowing vs. getting too ahead of yourself to pay a guy long-term based on short-term results.

These guys are actually making my point. The lockdown guy isn't lockdown now, so it's been great to have more live arms ready.
Yep and if youre out of the playoffs you sell your best arms to contending teams to get pieces..

The LeClerq deal was stupid
Grapesoda2525
After this blistering 105 degree heat lately, I hope fans are glad we have a new indoor stadium. Even tho they can't visit it just yet.

It would really suck to play outside the next few days.

Trucker 96
Darvish took a no-no to the bottom of the 7th but just gave up a dinger
_lefraud_
AG
To an ex-Ranger no less
TV Casualty
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

After this blistering 105 degree heat lately, I hope fans are glad we have a new indoor stadium. Even tho they can't visit it just yet.

I just wish that they would have put a roof on the old ballpark.
Baby Billy
AG
Surely Dietrich has been compared to Pauly D..right?????

Legal Custodian
AG
Volquez done for the season. Placed on the 45 day IL
Danny Phantom
Legal Custodian said:

Just in case you didn't see the press conference. You could say he has a little bit of swag

I think he kinda looks like rod woodson
Grapesoda2525
xjrayx
AG
Odor playing today....
wbt5845
AG
TV Casualty said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Was never an option.
Grapesoda2525
xjrayx said:

Odor playing today....

Haha I called it.

Dietrich is mainly there to light a fire under odor's ass. The rangers don't actually want Dietrich to succeed. They want their chosen one little stinker to do well.

Odor is still not hitting 8th. That's where he should hit every day for the rest of his ranger career.
wbt5845
AG
xjrayx said:

Odor playing today....

Thankful they're 7/8. Old School Brother would still have them 2/3.
AgBQ-00
AG
why is rougie in the lineup? They have given him enough time already.
Grapesoda2525
wbt5845 said:

xjrayx said:

Odor playing today....

Old school brother?
wbt5845
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

wbt5845 said:

xjrayx said:

Odor playing today....

Old school brother?

Grapesoda2525
wbt5845 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

wbt5845 said:

xjrayx said:

Odor playing today....

Old school brother?

I think Banny was even worse than wash. I like woody except for the fact that he seems to value odor too highly.
TV Casualty
AG
wbt5845 said:

TV Casualty said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Was never an option.

It was never an option pursued by the current ownership group, but that doesn't meant it couldn't have been done.

It could have been done, but the cost would have likely been around $400 to $500 million. There could have also been an issue with ballpark availability for a season. Really it just never seemed like the Rangers current ownership ever considered it.

Then the Mayor comes in with a blank check for the owners so of course why not build a new ballpark.
wbt5845
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

wbt5845 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

wbt5845 said:

xjrayx said:

Odor playing today....

Old school brother?

I think Banny was even worse than wash. I like woody except for the fact that he seems to value odor too highly.

Both had the old school, play your veterans mentality.

Woody is doing what the front office and analytics people are instructing him to do - which is why Banny is gone.
TDub
AG
You talking about the dude who took them to multiple World Series???
wbt5845
AG
etxag18 said:

You talking about the dude who took them to multiple World Series???

Yes. And would have won multiple with a different manager.
xjrayx
AG

I'm just at a loss. I really want to believe that Odor is just a small tweak away from living up to his potential, or at least just being decent and consistent. But it feels like it's just never going to happen at this point.
wbt5845
AG
xjrayx said:

I'm just at a loss. I really want to believe that Odor is just a small tweak away from living up to his potential, or at least just being decent and consistent. But it feels like it's just never going to happen at this point.
This has been discussed ad nauseum here.

Those who think Odor is getting so many chances just because he slugged Joey Bats simply are ignorant of the economics of baseball. Same with those who say "aw just bench him" or "just release him".

Doing those things are akin to forfeiting the season. His contract calls for $9 MM this year and $12 MM in 2021 and 2022 (club option in 2023). To flush $33 MM down the toilet would financially handicap the team so harshly as to make other free agent signings unlikely.

The club is just now getting out from underneath the dead money contracts incurred during the pennant runs (the dead money contracts the Astros are signing up for nowadays).

The good new is - with each passing week, the dead money Odor would cost gets a little smaller. At the end of this season, perhaps $24 MM isn't too unreasonable to eat.

What I do not understand is Odor's approach at the plate, The club MUST have him swinging for the fences like he does. Why do the Rangers want him to be something other than what made him good (slap ball hitter, bunt your way on, steal bases - the dirt bag player everyone hates to play against.)?

Why the Rangers play him is obvious to me - why the Rangers have changed his approach at the plate is the great mystery to me.
TheAngelFlight
Well, I think a lot of us get the "economics of baseball", but at the same time, $33 million over 3 years shouldn't be handicapping this team.

That they've dropped the payroll a bunch, in part justified by bad results caused in no small measure by Rougned Odor***, is something the fans have the right to be frustrated about.

***I'll add, given the weird year, this might be the club's best chance to win while Odor is under contract. And given the short schedule and the lack of Odor's success so far, it seems increasingly unlikely anything about his approach is going to change over the next 40 games. (Or, if it somehow does, the season will be over before it sticks.)
TheAngelFlight
I don't have any reason to believe lowering the remaining bill to $24 million at the end of this season is going to change anything about their approach towards Odor.

How much more do they owe him this year under the prorated salaries? 1.5 million or so?

If he's too expensive now, he'll be too expensive later on, too.
AgBQ-00
AG
I understand having money in the guy but if he is losing you games by leaving multiple runners on base basically every time up he is losing you more than just contract dollars. Besides he's had what 4 years to fulfill his potential? How much more does he need?

I'm not a huge pot banger and frankly hate the practice. But enough is enough

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.