***** Official 2020 Texas Rangers Season Thread *****

172,493 Views | 3272 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCSWguru
Baby Billy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How can someone have an opinion that literally every single other person disagrees with?

We had 2 AB's left and were down 7. MUCH stranger things have happened in baseball. Woodward is a puss
Bunk Moreland
PatAg said:

Bunk Moreland said:

what Tatis did wasn't an unwritten rule. National media just wraps it up into that narrative and it's lazy.
It's not national media when you have our manager saying it verbatim in an interview

Fair point. When I see the Athletic's MLB twitter handle openly ask "what do you think about this unwritten rule in baseball" I just found that incredibly lazy. Hardly anyone even thinks it is one...If the Rangers coach does he's a moron.
xjrayx
AG

No Elvis again...
Harry Dunne
xjrayx said:

No Elvis again...
Their OPS barely adds up to 1.000. Do you really need another reason?
xjrayx
AG
I personally don't, but the organization seems to need more reason to not play them than that fact unfortunately. m
xjrayx
AG

Gibaut and Woody both suspended. Seems fair.
KT 90
AG
FYI.... early start today, 3PM CST.

South Platte
TXAggie2011 said:

South Platte said:

AccidentProne said:

Well ownership flat out lied about what the payroll would be, so there is that
The payroll is irrelevant. The issue is our lack of ability to evaluate, draft, and develop talent. A number of teams with smaller payrolls have proven that it really isn't that difficult. With Texas, in our 49th season, we claim that it's nearly impossible.

Will our franchise ever fix this part of the organization?
Payroll is not "irrelevant." If you look at who is around in the playoffs more often than others, its the teams with larger payrolls. Meanwhile, its been years since the Athletics, Rays, etc. won a playoff series.

I don't think anyone thinks they need to be the LA Dodgers, but on the whole, I think it is pretty clear money helps.
Ok, my statement was an exaggeration. Yes, spending money to target proven stars is critical to winning playoff series and potentially a championship. But out of a 25 man roster, you must be able to evaluate and develop talent.

Here are our "top prospects" over the past few years:

Ronald Guzman - total failure so far
Odor - complete joke
Mazara - total washout by 25
Profar - zero
Calhoun - injury prone, zero HR so far this season
Gallo - maybe we have a long-term player here, but could be a Chris Davis
DeShields - decent, but finally had to give up on the guy
IKF - too early to tell, but appears to be a nice utility player but unlikely star; that's fine, guys like this are great to have

I can barely name a starting pitcher that we've even tried to develop. Martin Perez? Mendez? Both garbage.

Traded away Kela, Clase, Kyle Hendricks.

Can someone explain away any of this? We are simply the worst run organization in professional sports and most of us are incredibly sick of watching this crap for 40+ years with literally 2 stretches of decent baseball.
South Platte
xjrayx said:

No Elvis again...
It's probably because he is horrible and should have been traded away 2 years ago when he was having a good season with several years of control left. Just a hunch.
Grapesoda2525
South Platte said:

TXAggie2011 said:

South Platte said:

AccidentProne said:

The payroll is irrelevant. The issue is our lack of ability to evaluate, draft, and develop talent. A number of teams with smaller payrolls have proven that it really isn't that difficult. With Texas, in our 49th season, we claim that it's nearly impossible.

Payroll is not "irrelevant." If you look at who is around in the playoffs more often than others, its the teams with larger payrolls. Meanwhile, its been years since the Athletics, Rays, etc. won a playoff series.

I don't think anyone thinks they need to be the LA Dodgers, but on the whole, I think it is pretty clear money helps.
Ok, my statement was an exaggeration. Yes, spending money to target proven stars is critical to winning playoff series and potentially a championship. But out of a 25 man roster, you must be able to evaluate and develop talent.

Odor - complete joke
Profar - zero
IKF - too early to tell, but appears to be a nice utility player but unlikely star; that's fine, guys like this are great to have

I can barely name a starting pitcher that we've even tried to develop. Martin Perez? Mendez? Both garbage.

Can someone explain away any of this? We are simply the worst run organization in professional sports and most of us are incredibly sick of watching this crap for 40+ years with literally 2 stretches of decent baseball.
And......

Our most recent draft was widely ridiculed and laughed at by MLB experts all over the country.

My big question is when are some people going to be made uncomfortable? When are people going to be benched? Fired? Demoted?

This kind of **** is long overdue for a ball club that has resembled the walking dead the last few seasons.
powerbelly
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

South Platte said:

TXAggie2011 said:

South Platte said:

AccidentProne said:

Odor - complete joke
Profar - zero

And......

Our most recent draft was widely ridiculed and laughed at by MLB experts all over the country.

My big question is when are some people going to be made uncomfortable? When are people going to be benched? Fired? Demoted?

This kind of **** is long overdue for a ball club that has resembled the walking dead the last few seasons.

I am still dumbfounded by the last draft.
Slamn Sharpe
AccidentProne said:

I have no problem with Tatis swinging away on a 3-0 count. In fact, I would expect Gallo to do the same thing. Hey pitcher, don't want to give up a grand slam? Don't throw a damn meatball right down the middle to one of the hottest hitters in the game.

You play to win the game. Quit whining about the "game within the game." Put your big boy pants on and come back out the next day ready to play again. It's a 60 game season, and EVERY game matters way more when you're trying to make the postseason.

I came here to post this after seeing the suspensions. You're a professional athlete, stop looking for a handout via "unwritten rule"
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Did they overwater the infield or something? Looks like mud.
Trucker 96
I've never heard of this 3-0 unwritten rule bull**** . Sounds like a bunch of made up butthurt bull**** . Embarrassing to expect that kind of mercy and more embarrassing to throw at someone over it.
Proposition Joe
Yeah my opinion changed a bit with the bean ball.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
For me I'd be more annoyed with a team that was killing you trying to bunt and steal in their last at bat or something. A guy putting a good swing on a 3-0 pitch up seven with two at bats left for the home team doesn't even come close to being an issue. That whole thing was embarrassing before the throw behind Machado and was made worse by Woodward sounding like pansie in the post game. What a disaster.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
And the disaster continues. Good lord.
xjrayx
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
And a grand slam in the top of the 1st. I love the Rangers, but can't get much better than that.
Proposition Joe
Hate that any of you got your hopes up about this team. It's a **** lineup and a below average rotation.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Holy hell.....already?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I had zero hopes. This ownership group made sure everybody was aware they're completely full of s*** with what they're going to do. They can't sell the team fast enough.
xjrayx
AG
Hindsight is always 20/20, but really wish Minor had been traded last year. Hasn't been the same since that trade deadline. And something is really off this year. His velocity is way down...
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I wish they'd traded him and Lynn. I didn't understand standing pat. It made a little sense when they pretended they were going to make a serious run at some free agents. When it became apparent that was a lie it was moronic.
KT 90
AG
xjrayx said:

Hindsight is always 20/20, but really wish Minor had been traded last year. Hasn't been the same since that trade deadline. And something is really off this year. His velocity is way down...

how long until they come out with what is wrong with him? They limited his pitch count in the last start, now supposedly all is good. But obviously it's not. He's trying to pitch through some issue.

Proposition Joe
Not sure how much we realistically could have gotten for Minor at the deadline. At the very least the addition of Kluber and the hopes of a Kluber/Minor/Lynn top-3 made not trading him acceptable in hindsight.

Lynn needs to be moved as soon as possible, for whatever we can get. Offer Gallo a long-term deal and if he's wanting to wait it out, add him to the trading block as well. Foolish to have value guys on the team that won't be on the team when it's a contender again (2022+).
Quincey P. Morris
AG
With Rangers pitchers history, I'm assuming he's gonna end up needing TJ and pitched through soreness. Seems like this is the usual sequence of events.
Trucker 96
Right. The rule has been about bunting, stealing, etc, which I still think is BS to get upset about but can at least see the perspective. But these guys are making a living based on their numbers at the plate, so to expect a guy to automatically take on 3-0 just because his team is well ahead is a joke.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I wouldn't consider those bad either down seven. As an example, if the Rangers has been bunting and manufacturing runs that time they killed the Orioles, that would have been chicken s***. I'm not sure where that line really is that it changes, but seven ain't it.
Proposition Joe
Raymond's inability to read the ball off the bat (or read the fielders) still drives me crazy. Ball can be absolutely crushed and he has no idea until it's gone until the umpire signals it. It's like listening to Dave South describe a play.
Slamn Sharpe
Gotta stop giving up so many runs early in the game

Rangers down 0-4 in the 2nd
Grapesoda2525
Proposition Joe said:

Not sure how much we realistically could have gotten for Minor at the deadline. At the very least the addition of Kluber and the hopes of a Kluber/Minor/Lynn top-3 made not trading him acceptable in hindsight.

Lynn needs to be moved as soon as possible, for whatever we can get. Offer Gallo a long-term deal and if he's wanting to wait it out, add him to the trading block as well. Foolish to have value guys on the team that won't be on the team when it's a contender again (2022+).
Lynn needs to be traded during a full 162 game season with no pandemic threatening to shut down the season.

Nobody knows what to expect in the fall when the weather gets cooler.
wbt5845
AG
We'll get nothing trading pieces this season.

Grapesoda and I agree on something.
_lefraud_
AG
Hopefully STH that got screwed over the past few months won't return come 2021 and the Rangers brass will get serious about increasing payroll for their shiny new stadium, or even better...sell. Empty suites would speak even bigger volume.
MSFC Aggie
AG
Ranger #007 said:

Did they overwater the infield or something? Looks like mud.
Were you talking about the infield or the team?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.