***** Official 2020 Texas Rangers Season Thread *****

172,274 Views | 3272 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCSWguru
Quincey P. Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd love to be there with you, but this team just set a record for most consecutive games with a grand slam. I wouldn't have even thought it was possible to do what they did.
Grapesoda2525
Yeah.....

After letting the padres go to Denny's 4 days in a row, any and all enthusiasm for this team should be shot. The rangers will have to earn it back by proving they're professionals and at least winning the series up in Seattle.

xjrayx
AG
If by chance we sweep Seattle, what do you think we need to do against Oakland and then the Dodgers to turn this around some? I want to have hope, but hard to with how bad this team looks most of the time. I'm just afraid we do just well enough in this upcoming stretch that we stay in limbo at the trade deadline, and end up in the exact same boat as last year - not good enough to compete for anything, but not bad enough to sell off anything necessary to build for the future. As much as I would love to continue to watch Lynn in a Ranger's uniform, is it really worth holding on to him and not helping out our future since it doesn't seem like we are going to be competitive anytime soon.
Grapesoda2525
xjrayx said:

If by chance we sweep Seattle, what do you think we need to do against Oakland and then the Dodgers to turn this around some? I want to have hope, but hard to with how bad this team looks most of the time. I'm just afraid we do just well enough in this upcoming stretch that we stay in limbo at the trade deadline, and end up in the exact same boat as last year - not good enough to compete for anything, but not bad enough to sell off anything necessary to build for the future. As much as I would love to continue to watch Lynn in a Ranger's uniform, is it really worth holding on to him and not helping out our future since it doesn't seem like we are going to be competitive anytime soon.
Theres still 2 wild cards or 7 and 8 seeds.

It doesn't look good tho because we still have the astros for 10, Oakland for 7, and dodgers for 3.

I'd be shocked if 1 of those teams aren't in the World Series this year and seeing 2 of the 3 wouldn't surprise me either.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
If you're not watching tonight, let me just say, don't bother. That is all.
Grapesoda2525
Saw we were down by 5 and feared the worst. Looked at play by play and was excited that we haven't given up a grand slam yet. That streak really needs to end.

Interesting to think how soon your expectations for a team can change.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I just turned it on. A profanity laced tirade best describes my response to seeing the score.
Grapesoda2525
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I just turned it on. A profanity laced tirade best describes my response to seeing the score.
This team stinks

New ownership, new front office, new scouts, new roster

Need a new EVERYTHING.

change change change.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
It is almost safe to come out now.

Trevino is looking better at the plate every day.
Seven Costanza
AG
The Mariners did a nice job with the cardboard cutouts.
Trucker 96
I was thinking this as well. Looks kind of legit. The chris chris dooosher suites at the globe life barn contributes to the Rangers version looking weak
toucan82
Not great
Grapesoda2525

This is probably not good news folks. Especially after the dodgers fleeced us in the Darvish trade. Doesn't inspire much confidence that we will get a good return.

The dodgers have the prospects, but they generally don't trade them.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Even a blind Daniels finds a nut once in a while?
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Odor and Lynn for May and Lux.

They'll never do it, though.
Grapesoda2525
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

They'd probably ask for Lynn, montero, and Hernandez for Lux.

This is the dodgers we're dealing with after all.

Trading Hernandez or montero would be dumb because the rangers have control of montero for 2-3 more years and 5+ years of Hernandez. We should trade leclerc and release Chavez ASAP.
Schall 02
AG
Instead of players, can we trade for the Dodgers scouts and player development leadership?
Proposition Joe
Has this guy ever broken any kind of real news?
TV Casualty
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Fuzzy Dunlop said:

They'd probably ask for Lynn, montero, and Hernandez for Lux.

This is the dodgers we're dealing with after all.

Trading Hernandez or montero would be dumb because the rangers have control of montero for 2-3 more years and 5+ years of Hernandez. We should trade leclerc and release Chavez ASAP.

I don't think that the Dodgers would ever put Lux on the table. If they were willing to do it then trading Montero as part of a package is not a big deal.

Still can't imagine them trading Lux and I would think that they would have very little interest in Montero.
WestTexasAg
AG
As much as I hate the idea of not having Lance Lynn on our team, it almost seems like the right move to trade him.....if you can get some big time prospects. This team is in need of a young talent influx. I don't know what the hell happened to our once prominent minor league system, but our talent level in the minors is near the bottom of the league. Time to replenish. It's depressing looking at the current Rangers roster as well when looking towards the future. Outside of Gallo, who are you excited about going forward? Hernandez. Solak maybe. Calhoun?
Trucker 96
I think trading him is right IF the right offer is out there. I just don't see teams selling out for this *******ized season even if he does come with 1 more year. Feels like a cents on the dollar kind of year, even if more control is involved.
Grapesoda2525
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

I think trading him is right IF the right offer is out there. I just don't see teams selling out for this *******ized season even if he does come with 1 more year. Feels like a cents on the dollar kind of year, even if more control is involved.
I will be pleasantly surprised if I like the return, but I really think they could get more for Lynn during a real season with no Covid in the background.

Trade him next summer.
Proposition Joe
If you wait until next summer you are setting yourself up for another Darvish scenario where teams all know you have to move him.

Then you add in the variable of how well he'll perform next year, as well as how many teams will realistically be in the market for a 3rd starter rental.

We have leverage this year, he's pitching well this year, and with the expanded playoffs your market is not only any of the teams that think they have a shot this year, but also any of the teams that need an arm for next year.

Right now our 2021 rotation consists of Lance Lynn and a bunch of scrubs. Our offense at the current time is embarrassing. We simply cannot afford to hope that Lance Lynn doesn't have a setback next season and lose even more time on this rebuild.

Extension by the deadline (which is highly unlikely) or trade him.
Trucker 96
I'm sure they are listening to offers for anyone in the organization. But giving him up for meh makes no sense
hawk1689
AG
Ummm. We got Willie Calhoun. The Dodgers got 3-1/3 with 8ER in the World Series. I doubt the Dodgers fans think they won that one.
Grapesoda2525
hawk1689 said:

Ummm. We got Willie Calhoun. The Dodgers got 3-1/3 with 8ER in the World Series. I doubt the Dodgers fans think they won that one.
On paper....

We gave them a pitcher who was a solid #2 and could be argued as an ace. Most ranger fans were underwhelmed with what we got.
Trucker 96
In a market where hardly anyone was looking for a pitcher. Not sure how many times we get to rehash the Darvish deal, but so many races were over early in 2017. Really bad year to be a seller for a pitcher.
Grapesoda2525
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

In a market where hardly anyone was looking for a pitcher. Not sure how many times we get to rehash the Darvish deal, but so many races were over early in 2017. Really bad year to be a seller for a pitcher.
It's always a bad year to be a seller when this front office is selling.

That's the excuse they always come back to us with.
Trucker 96
Then, which has also been rehashed a million times, Minor was absolutely horrific for all of July. 5-6 starts where he got hammered every time out. He killed his own value.

I'm as critical as anyone of JD's draft and development shortcomings, but Darvish and Minor were just **** luck. Minor just isnt very good. The league knew/knows that
Trucker 96
Grapesoda2525 said:

Bingo Bango Bongo said:

It's always a bad year to be a seller when this front office is selling.

That's the excuse they always come back to us with.

So would you have rather they traded Darvish in 2016 when they won the division? This is like debating a child where they wanted a choice that doesn't exist
hawk1689
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

hawk1689 said:

On paper....

We gave them a pitcher who was a solid #2 and could be argued as an ace. Most ranger fans were underwhelmed with what we got.

Willie Calhoun is a real person. He hit 21 hr's last year in a short season.
toucan82
Not the start Lyles was looking for
Grapesoda2525
hawk1689 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

hawk1689 said:

On paper....

Willie Calhoun is a real person. He hit 21 hr's last year in a short season.
He hasn't done anything this year to inspire confidence.
chick79
AG
The Rangers need to completely blow this thing up including Jon Daniels and start over!
chick79
AG
Back to the Stars game now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.