***** Official 2020 Texas Rangers Season Thread *****

170,740 Views | 3272 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCSWguru
gigem1223
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hope we lose enough to secure the #1 pick and draft Kumar Rocker. That kid is about as sure fire of an ace as you're gonna get. #teamtank
Grapesoda2525
gigem1223 said:

I hope we lose enough to secure the #1 pick and draft Kumar Rocker. That kid is about as sure fire of an ace as you're gonna get. #teamtank
Keeping Lance Lynn isn't going to help with that, but if we start him against the Astros maybe. They seem to be the only team who has no problem with Lynn.

We need to do bad enough to get one of the Vanderbilt studs.
TXAggie2011
AG
Lynn's not been tracking in the right direction, so who knows
xjrayx
AG
LEODY!!!
gigem1223
Holy Crap! That throw from Taveras!

So nice to see great defense again
agsalaska
AG
How about that Gaylord Perry commercial.
Old Tom Morris
Gallo with his 3rd hit since August 21 to go with 3 K's.
Mr Gigem
AG
Sorry but Gallo is trash this year. It's like he simply cannot see the ball when he's at the plate
Old Tom Morris
He has his moments (not lately) but it's evident why teams weren't jumping at the chance to trade for him.
gigem1223
Silver linings. Cody with a nice debut. 3 IP, 1 hit. Hopefully he and Allard can develop into a couple nice rotational pieces in this dumpster fire season.
TV Casualty
AG
AccidentProne said:

Sorry but Gallo is trash this year. It's like he simply cannot see the ball when he's at the plate

Maybe the owners money troubles will prevent John Daniels from doing one of his lets lock him down while he is young type deals.

Seems like everyone of those long term deals has backfired in some way.
sburg2007
Looking more and more like the first half of last year was the exception rather than the rule.
Mr Gigem
AG
I haven't looked at the advanced stats, but the eyeball test tells me that his contact rate on pitches in the zone is way lower than that other power hitters throughout the league.

Old Tom Morris
He's in the bottom 4% of the league in whiff%. He's also chasing more pitches out of the zone this year than the last 2, while his contact rate on pitches in the zone is down too.
jtstanley4621
AG
Nelson Cruz is tied for the MLB lead in HRs. JD should never have let him walk, he's been a sustainably good hitter for multiple seasons since leaving
Old Tom Morris
It was over when Cruz chose to take his Biogenesis 50 game suspension Immediately (in Aug-Sept) instead of helping them in the pennant race. Between that and half-assing a world title away, I think a change of scenery was necessary
jtstanley4621
AG
Honestly at this point I'd take all that BS just to have a halfway decent bat in the lineup, but such are these dark times as a Rangers fan
Proposition Joe
Old Tom Morris said:

It was over when Cruz chose to take his Biogenesis 50 game suspension Immediately (in Aug-Sept) instead of helping them in the pennant race. Between that and half-assing a world title away, I think a change of scenery was necessary

This.

He literally quit on his team.

Not saying that fence can't ever be mended, but they weren't just going to look the other way.
bigcat22
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Nelson Cruz is tied for the MLB lead in HRs. JD should never have let him walk, he's been a sustainably good hitter for multiple seasons since leaving

The Rangers offered Cruz a qualifying offer, which he declined. He then ended up signing a 1 year deal with Baltimore for less money than the qualifying offer. After that, no one could have imagined him maintaining this level of power well into his late 30s/early 40s
KT 90
AG
AccidentProne said:

I haven't looked at the advanced stats, but the eyeball test tells me that his contact rate on pitches in the zone is way lower than that other power hitters throughout the league.

He does seem like he swings and misses at a lot of "good" pitches lately. Not even talking about the low and away offspeed stuff he he sees a lot of. Fastball over the heart of the plate...swing and miss... happening way too much lately.

He's really going through a rough stretch.

wbt5845
AG
bigcat22 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

The Rangers offered Cruz a qualifying offer, which he declined. He then ended up signing a 1 year deal with Baltimore for less money than the qualifying offer. After that, no one could have imagined him maintaining this level of power well into his late 30s/early 40s
Plenty of things one can hang on JD, but his handling of Cruz is not one of them. JD can't help it if Cruz was too dumb to take the QO.
jtstanley4621
AG
Didn't know Cruz turned down an offer. Thought we just let him walk.

Either way it sucks, he's still a solid bat to have in a lineup
TV Casualty
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Didn't know Cruz turned down an offer. Thought we just let him walk.

Either way it sucks, he's still a solid bat to have in a lineup

They gave him the qualifying offer pretty much knowing that he wouldn't sign it. He was looking for a long term deal and the Rangers never considered it.

When Cruz went to test the market it seemed like the steroid issue kept a lot of teams away.
xjrayx
AG

Going with the youth movement the rest of this season. At least makes watching a little more interesting down the stretch.
Grapesoda2525
xjrayx said:

Going with the youth movement the rest of this season. At least makes watching a little more interesting down the stretch.
I'm shocked and pleasantly surprised.

I want to see a combination of the kids playing well, but still losing a lot of games. We need a very high can't miss kind of draft pick because this front office is so terrible at drafting.

The fan base as a whole needs something to get excited about and that's not going to come by free agency or trade anytime soon.
KT 90
AG
Gallo gets the night off:

J.P. 03
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Honestly at this point I'd take all that BS just to have a halfway decent bat in the lineup, but such are these dark times as a Rangers fan

***TRIGGER WARNING***

Watch this .gif a few more times and then get back to us on how much BS you'd put up with just to get this halfway decent bat in this lineup:

As for me, I have no regrets for letting him walk for less money than JD offered after quitting on this team during a playoff run.

But I definitely agree with the second part of your post. It sucks to be a Rangers fan right now. Hopefully this time the youth movement pans out.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Even with the trigger warning that is too much
jtstanley4621
AG
So here's a question: why is Jeff Mathis on the roster anymore? We really don't need a defensive catcher. I wish we would call up Huff to get a taste of MLB pitching and go with him and Trevino from here on out.
Mr Gigem
AG
This. Rangers will be eliminated from playoff contention, officially, within probably 15 games. Get the young guys in here to see what it's like to compete at the top level
wbt5845
AG
Keep in mind that for the 2020 season - each game counts as three games of service time - so bringing rookies up too early is not without it's downside. If Huff is ready for this level - great. But only if he's ready to thrive.
sburg2007
100% agree. Is it worth it?
jtstanley4621
AG
It's just interesting to me that we'd bring up a guy like Tejada and not all the other guys as well. There are guys getting every day ABs for this team who do not figure into the future of the roster going forward
wbt5845
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

It's just interesting to me that we'd bring up a guy like Tejada and not all the other guys as well. There are guys getting every day ABs for this team who do not figure into the future of the roster going forward
Tejada looks like he was ready - same for Taveras. If the every day ABs can be productive for a young player, bring him up. Gotta trust the team to know when a guy's ready since we can't watch minor league games.
Seven Costanza
AG
I'm rooting for the #1 pick at this point.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.