***** Official 2020 Texas Rangers Season Thread *****

172,443 Views | 3272 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCSWguru
Trucker 96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
chick79 said:

The Rangers need to completely blow this thing up including Jon Daniels and start over!

I agree. The drafting and development has been a disaster for a sustained period of time. They need a gut job. Front office. Scouting. Minor league coaching. All of it
WestTexasAg
AG
How the hell is Jordan Lyles still in the rotation??
Trucker 96
The Rangers put all of their offseason resources into Kluber, Lyles, and Gibson. $35 million this year. Really paying off. $12 million per victory so far.
Trucker 96
It's really kind of amazing this organization won what it did over the past decade since almost none of the key talent they did it with was drafted. It's partly a lesson in how good JD was at the rest of the job for a long time. But the draft chickens have come home to roost compounded by a tightwad ownership group with a bargain bin budget.
alvtimes
In other news Padres with another grand slam .... finally against a different team
Grapesoda2525
alvtimes said:

In other news Padres with another grand slam .... finally against a different team
This team is so awful that the struggles of odor are hardly noticed.

The last few years, he stuck out like a sore thumb.

That's how bad things have gotten with this roster / team / organization.
Grapesoda2525
You know what's ironic?

Only one guy is playing well right now and it's the one the front office didn't want to play this year.

Trevino is kicking ass.
jtstanley4621
AG
The pitching on this team is just lacking so badly. We cannot hope to sustain any sort of success with guys like Allard and Lyles our there at a minimum. Injuries have killed us for sure but the bullpen would be lacking even with everyone healthy.

Hard to not feel like it would be best to just trade everyone of worth but Elvis, Gallo, Calhoun, and Solak. I only say Elvis there because I think his contract is a bit too much to get A worthwhile return, and he does provide a valuable leadership role in my opinion. I don't see us being a good team in 2021 or 2022, unless Kluber comes back and returns to form and Lynn sustains his success. Just don't know how likely either of those things really are. Our farm system could use a boost. Feel like I'm looking around the MLB and there are all these young stars popping up. I do not feel like the Rangers have that type of prospect right now. I do think that Jung and Huff could both become good players though. We need more talent in the pipeline
Grapesoda2525
jtstanley4621 said:

The pitching on this team is just lacking so badly. We cannot hope to sustain any sort of success with guys like Allard and Lyles our there at a minimum. Injuries have killed us for sure but the bullpen would be lacking even with everyone healthy.

Hard to not feel like it would be best to just trade everyone of worth but Elvis, Gallo, Calhoun, and Solak. I only say Elvis there because I think his contract is a bit too much to get A worthwhile return, and he does provide a valuable leadership role in my opinion. I don't see us being a good team in 2021 or 2022, unless Kluber comes back and returns to form and Lynn sustains his success. Just don't know how likely either of those things really are. Our farm system could use a boost. Feel like I'm looking around the MLB and there are all these young stars popping up. I do not feel like the Rangers have that type of prospect right now. I do think that Jung and Huff could both become good players though. We need more talent in the pipeline
We brought back guys like Chavez, chirinos, and Mathis.

These owners don't give a **** about winning or this team at all. It's starting to feel like a Tom Hicks 2.0 situation.
hawk1689
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

You know what's ironic?

Only one guy is playing well right now and it's the one the front office didn't want to play this year.

Trevino is kicking ass.
Careful. He's a draft pick. That might upset some people.
Trucker 96
Why would it upset anyone? He changes the whole narrative on JD? Trevino. Gallo. IKF. The full extent of the fruits of the JD draft and development process in the lineup and starting staff. I want this organization to succeed so I'll take what I can get and really hope there is more on the way. But that's not going to cut it.
xjrayx
AG

Interesting discussion topic.
Seven Costanza
AG
Is the worst franchise in MLB right now, when taking into account the makeup of the current team and lack of expected talent in the pipeline? There doesn't seem to be any reason to believe that they will be competing 3 years from now when looking at the younger players and prospects.
Proposition Joe
Looking at just those two factors, we'd certainly be in "bottom 3".

But $$$ trumps all. We have a big enough media market that IF we get owners willing to spend, there's plenty of reason to be optimistic.
TXAggie2011
AG
xjrayx said:

Interesting discussion topic.
I agree Lance Lynn is a lock. And I totally agree Joey Gallo could make that roster.

But I think even Joey Gallo would be perceived rather differently on rosters that also had Josh Hamilton, Nelson Cruz, Adrian Beltre, Vladimir Guerrero, Mike Napoli, and Michael Young in their two 2010 and 2011 combinations.

Also, if you added Gallo to those rosters, can't-play-centerfield-anymore Shin-Soo Choo would have no place on it.
Seven Costanza
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Looking at just those two factors, we'd certainly be in "bottom 3".

But $$$ trumps all. We have a big enough media market that IF we get owners willing to spend, there's plenty of reason to be optimistic.
Agreed. The overall value and brand of the franchise is not close to the worst. I'm looking at it more in terms of "current team + farm system". A weak farm system, history of poor drafting and development, and lack of valuable tradeable assets makes it seem hopeless for the next few years.
Grapesoda2525

It's notable because AJM has always been one of, if not the biggest odor turd polishers in the media. I'm expecting us to ride odor's contract out until 2023 then just decline the team option tho.
Schall 02
AG
I didnt think it could get much more embarrassing than the reaction to the Tatis grand slam, yet:

"Reliever Jose Chavez came in to pitch the seventh inning wearing the wrong jersey. While the rest of the team wore a blue jersey with "TEXAS" across the front, Chavez accidentally worse his blue spring training jersey that pitchers typically wear during bullpen sessions."
toucan82
Calling it now: 3 RBI for Rivera today
Trucker 96
Minor was a half-season flash in the pan. He had about 3-4 good starts in the 2nd half last year (a couple of which were great), but he's basically been crap since June of last year.
Trucker 96
I'd like to see those Minor stats they just showed H1 2019 vs H2 2019 vs 2020. They couldn't have been very good in H2 either, although probably not as bad as now
jtstanley4621
AG
Dunn has an ERA in the 7s and is knifing through this lineup so far. We are at rock bottom, this HAS to be the worst team in baseball right now, especially with Elvis and Calhoun injured
Trucker 96
How did we ever win 10?
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I noticed that last night.
jtstanley4621
AG
Sweet lord look at the next stretch of games. What is this team going to be able to do against Oakland and the Dodgers back to back? Easily two of the top I'd say five teams in the MLB right now. Just B R U T A L
KT 90
AG
Scrub Mariner starter Justin Dunn so far through 6IP: 1 H, 1W, 0 runs.

Here is a blurb from the pregame notes: " He's covered more than four innings only once in four starts, and he'll take a 7.80 ERA and 1.80 WHIP into Sunday's turn."

KT 90
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Sweet lord look at the next stretch of games. What is this team going to be able to do against Oakland and the Dodgers back to back? Easily two of the top I'd say five teams in the MLB right now. Just B R U T A L

Knowing the Rangers, we'll probably go .500 or better vs the top teams then get hammered again by the scrubs.

Trucker 96
This is the perfect season for a crash and burn. I hope they finish dead last
Danny Vermin
Ive had to mute the damn tv as the frontier "surfing usa" commercial has beat me down worse than the team.
Grapesoda2525
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

This is the perfect season for a crash and burn. I hope they finish dead last
Then Kip ***g will draft another Dillion Tate who ended up being totally worthless.

Worst draft pick probably in rangers history considering it was so high in the draft and we got nothing out of it.
xjrayx
AG
Lol a Jeff Mathis home run!!
KT 90
AG
Mathis with the bomb. Still down 4-1

_lefraud_
AG
KT 90 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

Knowing the Rangers, we'll probably go .500 or better vs the top teams then get hammered again by the scrubs.

Yea, the beauty and uniqueness of this season is somehow go 7-3 in the next 10, and they will be in the thick of it. Not saying it will happen, but it wouldn't completely surprise me either.

Getting the asstros 7 times in the last 2 weeks of the season is an opportunity as well. Doubtful, but an opportunity.
toucan82
Any stretch where we don't give up 4 grand slams in 4 games is good enough for me
South Platte
As I was saying . . . .

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.