***** Official 2020 Texas Rangers Season Thread *****

170,773 Views | 3272 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCSWguru
gigem1223
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What happened to Greg Bird? Report I read a couple days ago said him and Guzman were battling it out for backup 1B? Didn't see him last night.
gomerschlep
AG
Were they really piping in fake fan noise on the TV broadcast? I feel like that would be just like watching an old ****ty sit-com....
Trucker 96
They did and it was bad. I think they toned it down after the early innings. Or maybe I just got better at tuning it out. They will all do it

Grubes is doing it for Texas
KT 90
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

They did and it was bad. I think they toned it down after the early innings. Or maybe I just got better at tuning it out. They will all do it

Grubes is doing it for Texas

it was definitely bad early on.
Trucker 96
Dave Raymond was on the Ticket a few minutes ago talking about it and how it will be a learning curve for them to make it more realistic, including adjusting to the acoustics. Called out one instance where Grubes played a big roar for strike 2. I guess they are going to eventually incorporate some other stuff like Lets Go Rangers chants. Seems really dumb to me, but whatever.
LMC2015
AG
Any chance at discounted tour tickets? Last night inspired me to look into it. Looks awesome, but $25 a head seemed steep for a ballpark tour. I guess if that's the only chance to see it in person this year, that's what I'll pay.
powerbelly
AG
How do we feel about IKF as the everyday third baseman?

If he can get more consistent at the plate I think he will be solid.
Trucker 96
He's a corner infielder with 5 HR's in a little over a season's worth of MLB AB's. He's got 12 professional HRs total. 12. So I can't say I feel good about it. This lineup is full of guys who will likely hit .250ish or less with minimal to mediocre power (Gallo obviously excluded) and a good number of Ks. The starting staff is encouraging, but the lineup turns my stomach.
Proposition Joe
Yeah you gotta frame the question a bit. Do I feel good about IKF at 3rd base not embarrassing himself? Sure.

Do I feel good about IKF at 3rd base if I have any aspirations of this team making the playoffs? No.

This team needs career years outta 3 different players to even have a chance of making the playoffs in a shortened season.
AgsWin2011
AG
I agree. I know last night was just an exhibition game, but man our bats looked awful. Maybe we can still trade for Nolan Arenado, or hope that Josh Jung is close to being called up.

When is Willie Calhoun expected to be back?
Trucker 96
I think anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks into the season. But I'm concerned about where his head is going to be when he's back. Feels like it's going to take some time to get his mind and his approach right after what he's been through and given he's still a young player
KT 90
AG
Heismenberg said:

I agree. I know last night was just an exhibition game, but man our bats looked awful. Maybe we can still trade for Nolan Arenado, or hope that Josh Jung is close to being called up.

When is Willie Calhoun expected to be back?

I think you can forget Arenado. This ownership group isn't taking on any long term guaranteed contracts right now. Better hope Jung or Apostel develop quickly. Or maybe Solak can be serviceable at 3B if he hits well enough.

I'm not sure that IKF is the solution. I think he is more of a utility guy than a starting MLB 3B. Not sure that I am buying the whole "he didn't hit last year because he was focused on catching" line.

Trucker 96
Right. I like IKF as a utility guy. A guy that can handle the glove in the IF, get behind the plate, and not embarrass himself with the bat has a lot of value. But as an everyday 3B, no way.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I just don't think there's any way one of our major prospects gets called up this year unless they're truly in the thick of it.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I love IKF and what he has done for the team the last few years. That said, I'm worried the Rangers will be battling the M's for the AL/NL West doormat this season.

I was a little worried that HRs were going to be a premium at the new park. Now I'm worried that other teams will have no problem hitting HRs while our team is going to hit quite a few warning track shots. We don't do anything else well offensively. Can't hit for average, base running is a little above average (if I remember last year's comparison to the league) and Gallo, Sanata, and maybe Odor are the only real power threats.

I hope our pitching holds up or it is going to be a long shortened season.

I'm not basing this on one exhibition game, it's been building for a while. I think our team will have some jitters being excited about the new park and trying to show out. I wish we could have opened on the road to get in a groove.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Guess Calhoun is good to go to hit at least.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Was just looking at the lineup. What is Chironos -EH?
dvldog
AG
Extra Hitter? There are 10 spots listed.
wbt5845
AG
EH = Extra Hitter.

It's pre season.
CampingAg
AG
Ideas for Rangers-themed fantasy baseball nickname?
AgsWin2011
AG
CampingAg said:

Ideas for Rangers-themed fantasy baseball nickname?

The Jubilant Jon Daniels
Trucker 96
Emily Jones Gave Me Raider Rash
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Is it me or do the lines look odd? I thought they did last night too but I can't put my finger on what looks off about them.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Are the acoustics out of whack because there are no fans there (increasing echo) or is it due to limited production crew being able to make this sound like a "normal" TV broadcast. It sounds like a gunshot going off every time the ball hits a bat or glove, something I've never heard in other broadcasts in closed roof stadiums.
Trucker 96
I think it's the fact it's empty. Between the background noise people generate and absorbing some of that sound. That said, I do expect everything to be loud in there
Trucker 96
The fake crowd noise is much improved so far. Massively toned down
Seven Costanza
AG
I think a constant, low crowd murmur would be better than the crowd reaction sounds.
PatAg
AG
Who is in left field, they just showed off a negative arm
PatAg
AG
Seven Costanza said:

I think a constant, low crowd murmur would be better than the crowd reaction sounds.
If it's like the Bundesliga restart, Grubes will get a feel for it in a couple games.
gigem1223
Solak
gigem1223
Bunch of wet newspaper bats in this line up
Trucker 96
This offense is horrendous
DallasAg 94
Seven Costanza
AG
Here's some useless trivia:

There have been three no-hitters (completed by a single pitcher) in Spring Training history. The last one was in 1952.
Trucker 96
LOL at that crap breaking up a perfect game

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.