***** Official 2020 Texas Rangers Season Thread *****

172,469 Views | 3272 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCSWguru
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

What's frustrating is to have seen this team mismanage the draft so poorly that it seems like it's sitting in the same place it was in 2017. And they basically chose to punt on the 2020 draft, which made cheaping out in 2019 a waste.
It's hard to have much hope in your drafts turning out well when the name of the guy running them is Kip ***g.

I have no problem with gay people, but in a masculine sport that is the most effeminate name I've ever seen.

I haven't seen odor added to the IL yet. I guess that means the rangers organization will let him rehab at the major league level or play hurt like they did last year. I seem to recall he struck out in 1/2 to 2/3's of those at bats.

I'm taking a shot at ***g mainly because our draft this year was so horrible. All of the MLB pundits were laughing at us. It was embarrassing.
powerbelly
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Bingo Bango Bongo said:

What's frustrating is to have seen this team mismanage the draft so poorly that it seems like it's sitting in the same place it was in 2017. And they basically chose to punt on the 2020 draft, which made cheaping out in 2019 a waste.
It's hard to have much hope in your drafts turning out well when the name of the guy running them is Kip ***g.

I have no problem with gay people, but in a masculine sport that is the most effeminate name I've ever seen.

I haven't seen odor added to the IL yet. I guess that means the rangers organization will let him rehab at the major league level or play hurt like they did last year. I seem to recall he struck out in 1/2 to 2/3's of those at bats.

I'm taking a shot at ***g mainly because our draft this year was so horrible. All of the MLB pundits were laughing at us. It was embarrassing.
Quoting for posterity.
KT 90
AG

Quote:

LHP Joely Rodriguez was scheduled to throw live BP on Sunday and could be added to the bullpen for Tuesday's game at Oakland.

not sure how good he is, but he was getting talked up back in March during Spring training before the shutdown. The bullpen can use some help obviously, so hopefully he is ready to go Tuesday. Hernandez needs some help.

KT 90
AG

Quote:

I haven't seen odor added to the IL yet. I guess that means the rangers organization will let him rehab at the major league level or play hurt like they did last year.

They can back date IL assignments to the date of injury. Not sure if they are doing that. May have also flown him back to Texas to get examined (which would be today likely) by one of the team Dr.'s before formally assigning him to the IL. Just rambling though, I haven't seen an update from one of the beats on this yet.

Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

Quote:

I haven't seen odor added to the IL yet. I guess that means the rangers organization will let him rehab at the major league level or play hurt like they did last year.

They can back date IL assignments to the date of injury. Not sure if they are doing that. May have also flown him back to Texas to get examined (which would be today likely) by one of the team Dr.'s before formally assigning him to the IL. Just rambling though, I haven't seen an update from one of the beats on this yet.

I want to see more Solak at 2nd.
AgBQ-00
AG
AccidentProne said:

AgBQ-00 said:

If selling is truly what is coming I am hoping we get an owner that actually wants to compete and we get front office folks with a plan

We could only hope.
TXAggie2011
AG
wbt5845 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

The plan is clear.

Get a new stadium built to increase the value of the team.

Let long-term contracts cycle out.

Sign short-term gambles in hopes to trade off for prospects.

Stack the minor-league system with cheap high-ceiling talent.

Sell the team for huge money positioned to win.

Prophet.

The talent has just not materialized... and the trade-market has had very little value in the past few years.
I'll take an unpopular position - do you blame them?

Mr. Davis and Simpson showed no compunction with opening up their wallets to do whatever it took to win through the pennant runs - 7 years worth, pretty much. I doubt the club showed positive cash flow through much of this era. Pay Fielder, Hammel, Lee, Choo, Beltre, Darvish - on and on and on.

And now, with the O&G market tanked, they're sitting on what? Over a BILLION dollars of equity

GD right I'd sell.
I think you can not blame them for wanting to sell, now, in this moment, and be rightfully upset and annoyed with them at the same time.

Getting a sweetheart deal on a new stadium and tanking the payroll has nothing to do with the current economy, of course. That all started 3+ years ago.

They bought the club for a bargain price, after the trade deadline during the franchise's first World Series run. I guess they "paid" Adrian Beltre, but in retrospect, got one of the bargains of the century on that deal. I'll certainly grant them they ramped the payroll up 2011-2014, then kept pace with the league for a few years.

If they really intend to sell, and find a buyer, we'll know 3 things for sure: (1) They walked into a great situation; (2) The club's on-field performance gradually, consistently slipped over time; and (3) They stopped committing payroll almost the second the taxpayer gave them half a billion dollars to build a new stadium.

The question that we'll almost never know for sure is how much previous spending was in good faith and how much was simply in recognition of the axium that you have to spend money to make money.
Trucker 96
I wonder if Kip ***g went thru a whole "A Boy Named Sue" phase to where he's a tough, mean SOB by now
KT 90
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

KT 90 said:

Quote:

I want to see more Solak at 2nd.

I'd say one of: 1b, 2b, or 3b. He's looking shaky in the OF in the games I've seen. But we need his bat in the lineup. There's always DH as well, but Choo is still the primary there for now.

I'm not sold at all with IKF at 3B; and Frazier may just be a one and done at 1B. So any of 1b/2b/3b are possibilities for Solak. OF as well I guess. Maybe if we can find one spot for him and just leave him there his defense will improve, rather than him being shuffled around all the time.

TXAggie2011
AG
I don't think Solak's looked particularly good, defensively, at any position. I'm not sure he's got the glove for 3rd and I'm not sure he's got the feet for anywhere else.

I think second could become his best position, and agree he'll have a better chance at sticking if they can decide where to put him and allow him to develop there.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29590369/cardinals-tigers-postponed-due-virus-outbreak

Cardinals with an outbreak now.
Dallasag02
AG
Ranger #007 said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29590369/cardinals-tigers-postponed-due-virus-outbreak

Cardinals with an outbreak now.

This season is not going to make the weekend.
Trucker 96
Marlins went clubbing. Cardinals went gambling. It's an opportunity to reinforce how important it is to follow protocol to have a chance to keep the wheels on the season, but if the players don't get their **** together, it won't make it.
Grapesoda2525
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Marlins went clubbing. Cardinals went gambling. It's an opportunity to reinforce how important it is to follow protocol to have a chance to keep the wheels on the season, but if the players don't get their **** together, it won't make it.
I think it's funny how it's 2 bad teams who have screwed up tho.

When do we hear about Odor going to a rodeo or some *****
alvtimes
Proposition Joe said:

There does not seem to be any roster plan in place long-term. I think if there was a plan, it was to buy on the bargain bin and flip for talent at the deadline.

That has now bitten us in the ass because some of that talent is injured (Kluber, Leclerc) and with the gimmicky season you'll be lucky to get 25 cents on the dollar at the deadline.

THIS!!!! Long term roster management....Beltre retired after 2018 season..... still waiting on his replacement to arrive.... I get it.... drafting is a crapshoot but the Rangers seem to be really bad at it!
KT 90
AG
alvtimes said:

Proposition Joe said:

There does not seem to be any roster plan in place long-term. I think if there was a plan, it was to buy on the bargain bin and flip for talent at the deadline.

That has now bitten us in the ass because some of that talent is injured (Kluber, Leclerc) and with the gimmicky season you'll be lucky to get 25 cents on the dollar at the deadline.

THIS!!!! Long term roster management....Beltre retired after 2018 season..... still waiting on his replacement to arrive.... I get it.... drafting is a crapshoot but the Rangers seem to be really bad at it!

We were supposedly going to make a run at Rendon for 3B, but not sure that we really tried. I don't think we were ever going to increase the payroll enough for that, and that we pre-covid and before they knew there would be little or no ticket revenue this season.

KT 90
AG
Tonight the A's are starting their top prospect, Luzardo:

https://www.mlb.com/news/jesus-luzardo-s-first-mlb-start-things-to-know

Mr Gigem
AG
Any current season ticket holders on here have any questions about rolling their money over to 2021 or requesting a refund? I know we have sent out a couple emails over the last couple weeks that may have been confusing, so I want to try and provide some clarity. Thanks.
wbt5845
AG
Flashback to 1974 - when baseball fights were legit. Baserunner slid hard into Lenny Randle inning before and Randle got into fight. Then he comes to bat.

KT 90
AG
LOL... that's awesome. Even has the Indian player trying to get up into the stands towards the end of the video.

Trucker 96
That game set the stage for the 10 cent beer night riot the next week.
wbt5845
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

That game set the stage for the 10 cent beer night riot the next week.

The ten cent beer night lives in infamy, but this game set the stage. And the on field fighting was much better in this one. The ten cent beer night was just a riot.
PatAg
AG
wbt5845 said:

Flashback to 1974 - when baseball fights were legit. Baserunner slid hard into Lenny Randle inning before and Randle got into fight. Then he comes to bat.

If I see it right, that fan was just standing there calmly waving the Indian trying to get at him to come and get it.
Grapesoda2525
I thought I would get some of your dander up by letting you know that Nick Castellanos just hit his 6th HR and is hitting almost .400.

Our brilliant ****ing front office.

I was screaming at them to take this guy all off season.
Baby Billy
AG
Playing at O.co tonight. At least for a brief 3 games, it'll feel like a normal baseball game again.
Baby Billy
AG
This lineup we're trotting out is abysmal.
xjrayx
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

I thought I would get some of your dander up by letting you know that Nick Castellanos just hit his 6th HR and is hitting almost .400.

Our brilliant ****ing front office.

I was screaming at them to take this guy all off season.

I was about to post the same thing. So frustrating...
94chem
I see that Oakland's attendance has improved.
toucan82
ehrmantraut said:

This lineup we're trotting out is abysmal.

That's what happens when Rougie sits
Mr Gigem
AG
Todd Frazier. Watch two pitches right down the middle and then chase a change up out of the zone. Lmao
Grapesoda2525
This offense is so boring.

You'd almost think the brain trust planned it that way.
Seven Costanza
AG
I just started watching. Have they already joked about the cardboard fans vastly outnumbering the number of real fans that they normally have?
xjrayx
AG
Yep, in the first inning they were roasting Oakland's attendance.
gigem1223
Lynn May be the most underrated pitcher in the league. Beast
Danny Vermin
So do we keep Lynn or try and get the motherload of prospects?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.