***** Official 2020 Texas Rangers Season Thread *****

170,712 Views | 3272 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCSWguru
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Roogie Odor has got to be the king of performing when it doesn't matter.

Look at spring training, summer camp, and the very end of the last 2 seasons when we were out of the playoff hunt.

He's doing just enough to keep his spot and get by. Lucky for him he plays for the only front office foolish enough to fall for it.
gomerschlep
AG
TAG and Josh Lewin were the best broadcast team we've ever had, and likely ever will. Fight me.
wbt5845
AG
I hate Odor - King of the Worthless Stats.
KT 90
AG
wbt5845 said:

The push for .200 is on.. the infamous Mendoza Line. Which will probably be enough for JD to proclaim that he is very capable, just needs more consistency or some similar bs.
Proposition Joe
KT 90 said:

wbt5845 said:

The push for .200 is on.. the infamous Mendoza Line. Which will probably be enough for JD to proclaim that he is very capable, just needs more consistency or some similar bs.

Anything JD is proclaiming about Odor isn't about what he truly believes his production will be. If he's the likely 2B next season it will be due to budget constraints, and JD will put on an optimistic face to the public.

"Yeah I know this guy is likely going to suck but we don't have the $$$ to replace him" isn't a quote you're going to get.
Grapesoda2525
Rangers still in 2nd in tankathon but the margin is razor thin.

The next 3 games are critical because it's the angels ( a team we usually beat) and diamondbacks ( they suck and are tanking too).

If we figure out a way to lose all 3, we would probably be the favorites for the 2nd overall pick because Houston probably wants to win all of our games for playoff positioning.
Old Tom Morris
Yep, they are in position for the 2nd pick but are one W away from potentially blowing it by several picks. Tank strong
PatAg
AG
I think I have never cared less about an MLB season.
Old Tom Morris
Same. It's been really bizarre. I don't think I watched a single minute this weekend. Between playing golf, watching golf, and watching football, no time or interest. On the bright side, it is the perfect type of season to tank.
TXAggie2011
AG
Between the Stars run, Luka Magic/NBA playoffs, and the all-around condensed sports schedule, its certainly not a time period relatively conducive to keeping eye balls and interest on a terrible team.
Proposition Joe
PatAg said:

Yup. I'm from the "watched 90% of the games even when they were really bad in the 90s/2000s" camp, and I've only tuned into maybe 10 games this year?

Gimmick season, bad team and (until late) few young prospects to watch.
Grapesoda2525
PatAg said:

I believe it starts at the top.

Fans can watch the front office " perform" as in courting free agents, drafting, and trading. Immediately, they will realize that either the front office or the owners don't give a flip about this team or actually being good. They conned the city of Arlington out of there money, got there stadium, now they are hanging out like fat cats doing jack *****

It was totally obvious that we needed 3 or more bats this off-season to beef up the lineup and all they did was bring in a few arms who are below mediocre.
Proposition Joe
Proposition Joe said:

It's just words. When a player goes anywhere and has any kind of quick success then it's always a "tweak" or a "change of scenery".

9 times out of 10 they wind up about what you thought they would once the same size gets large.

Minor is sporting a 4.76 ERA since the trade -- not exactly something to think we missed the boat on.

Guess Minor forgot about that "tweak" yesterday... 5IP/6ER.
PatAg
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

PatAg said:

Fans can watch the front office " perform" as in courting free agents, drafting, and trading. Immediately, they will realize that either the front office or the owners don't give a flip about this team or actually being good. They conned the city of Arlington out of there money, got there stadium, now they are hanging out like fat cats doing jack *****

It was totally obvious that we needed 3 or more bats this off-season to beef up the lineup and all they did was bring in a few arms who are below mediocre.
For sure. Covid didn't help matters, but I wasn't looking forward to it before that happened either.
EastSideAg2002
Grapesoda2525 said:

PatAg said:

From listening to the sports talk shows for the last year or so, it seems like its no secret that these owners are trying to cash in on the new stadium to pump the value of the team up to cash out. On one hand, I hope it fails miserably as I hate these publicly funded stadium deals. On the other, if they cant sell it, the Rangers will suck forever since the Rangers cant draft/develop to save their lives.
Grapesoda2525
EastSideAg2002 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

PatAg said:

From listening to the sports talk shows for the last year or so, it seems like its no secret that these owners are trying to cash in on the new stadium to pump the value of the team up to cash out. On one hand, I hope it fails miserably as I hate these publicly funded stadium deals. On the other, if they cant sell it, the Rangers will suck forever since the Rangers cant draft/develop to save their lives.
Why the hell is Kip ***g still there?

It's not like the guy has a record of success to point towards. He needs to be gone after the seasons over and before the next draft.
Grapesoda2525
As of the end of the games yesterday.

Our Reverse Magic Numbers To Get The Second Pick

Red Sox 5
Royals 4
Nationals 4
Diamondbacks 5

If I understand it correctly we have the tie breaker over every team besides the Royals. We only have to finished tied with the other three teams.

Grapesoda2525

The allure with the Vanderbilt players for us is that they should already be developed and have already proven themselves playing college baseball.

The rangers drafting has been so bad lately that we need a sure thing.

Speaking of which......

From Jeff Passan

"The top of the 2021 draft is loaded, with Vanderbilt's two stud right-handers, Kumar Rocker and Jack Leiter, along with a Vandy recruit, Dallas-area shortstop Jordan Lawlar, who some evaluators believe might be the best of the three."

Lose to the damn snakes tonight.
KT 90
AG

KT 90
AG

Jimmy McNulty
AG
DBacks trying to take our spot! How many times is the first three baserunners of a game walked to the four hole hitter.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Gallo comes through!!
Old Tom Morris
Someone bought the wrong lightbulbs for this stadium. It's dark and blue
xjrayx
AG
Glad it's not just me. The lighting there is super weird. Pirates won, Red Sox won. Would be nice if Pittsburgh would go on a little winning streak to end their season.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Is Rocker and Leiter interchangeable? Any con to either like injury history or throwing motion issues? Maybe I shouldn't get too attached only for the Rangers to f it up.
Old Tom Morris
Rocker is more powerful. Leiter is not as powerful but more polished. I'd say Rocker has the higher ceiling while Leiter may have the higher floor.
Grapesoda2525
Old Tom Morris said:

Rocker is more powerful. Leiter is not as powerful but more polished. I'd say Rocker has the higher ceiling while Leiter may have the higher floor.
I'd prefer Leiter because he's probably more of a sure thing.

The rangers problem is they have drafted guys who haven't panned out at all. I'm talking guys who have never even made it to the big league team.

Leiters dad was a successful pitcher and if Leiter projects to a solid #2-#3 in the rotation for the next 10 years it would fill a big hole in the pitching staff.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
What does it take to get a bonafide ace this day in age! It seems like we've never had that guy for the Rangers.
Grapesoda2525
Jimmy McNulty said:

What does it take to get a bonafide ace this day in age! It seems like we've never had that guy for the Rangers.
Lance Lynn?

Cliff lee?

Kumar rocker could be an ace, but he could also be very overrated too.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
I should clarify I meant home grown ace.
duck79
AG
Jimmy McNulty said:

I should clarify I meant home grown ace.

The sure thing that was DVD seems like just yesterday
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Yep. I think I was in college at that time before the World Series runs and dreaming of the future dominate pitching staff....and then there was Tate.
KT 90
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

As of the end of the games yesterday.

Our Reverse Magic Numbers To Get The Second Pick

Red Sox 5
Royals 4
Nationals 4
Diamondbacks 5

If I understand it correctly we have the tie breaker over every team besides the Royals. We only have to finished tied with the other three teams.

It was a good night last night.... Rangers lost, so that helps. The D'Backs won, the Nationals won twice!, and the Red Sox won as well. Royals were the only contender to lose last night.

The Pirates even won, but they are likely too far out in front.

jtstanley4621
AG
Pitching outside of Lynn is truly a disaster. We need a complete overhaul of both the rotation AND the bullpen.
Proposition Joe
If we're considering Lynn an ace, then CJ Wilson would qualify as a "homegrown" ace.... Ditto Matt Harrison pre-injury.

Lee was actually fairly pedestrian (by his standards) in his time here... though obviously he had some dominant playoff performances.

We've never really had a legit #1 here for an extended period of time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.