***** Official 2020 Texas Rangers Season Thread *****

172,139 Views | 3272 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCSWguru
Cappo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
this team sucks
Slamn Sharpe
7 game losing streak is inexcusable
CampingAg
AG
Rant coming.

It was said awhile back, but after a 7-game losing strength it's worth saying again. The Rangers will be what they are until: A.) They strip it down like the Astros for a few years, or B.) Have another Mark Teixeira trade (Sooo...Gallo + Lynn??)

When you look at the system, who are the reinforcements on the way? Are IKF, Willie, Solak, et al going to lead us to the promised land? Right now those are probably 7-9 hole hitters on a World Series contending team. Is Cole Winn gonna be our savior after already having had one TJ surgery? Other than Jung (hopefully) there just aren't any dudes on the way, and if JD keeps using our high draft spots on teenagers (save for last year's draft), I just don't see anything changing.

I'm 30 years old and since I could walk I've sat down in front of the TV to watch the Rangers every single night that I can regardless of where we've been in the standings. After the level of play this week, the Woodward/Tatis embarrassment, and turning on the TV today to see Odor hitting FIFTH, I don't even know why I watch anymore. But alas, I probably will.

There's just no direction. I wouldn't know one person from our ownership group if they walked up and slapped me in the face. What up and comer are we turning on the TV to watch? Who would I be looking at in the Frisco box scores this weekend? What do you see that gives you hope that we are going to contend in the next 5-6 years?
option short side
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

xjrayx said:

Interesting discussion topic.
I agree Lance Lynn is a lock. And I totally agree Joey Gallo could make that roster.

But I think even Joey Gallo would be perceived rather differently on rosters that also had Josh Hamilton, Nelson Cruz, Adrian Beltre, Vladimir Guerrero, Mike Napoli, and Michael Young in their two 2010 and 2011 combinations.

Also, if you added Gallo to those rosters, can't-play-centerfield-anymore Shin-Soo Choo would have no place on it.
God our lineup was so filthy those few years
Proposition Joe
The position the Rangers are in IMO is an even worse place because with the stadium opening being pushed back a year you're going to have the front office even less likely to gut the team anytime soon -- need at least a few stars to sell tickets.
aggiedata
AG
KT 90
AG
Rangers have no plans to tear down roster and rebuild
Aug. 23: The Rangers lost their seventh straight game Saturday, dropping them to 10-16, but team officials have indicted that there are no plans to tear down the roster and rebuild, according to MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan.
That means staff ace Lance Lynn (3-0, 1.37 ERA) is likely staying put. The right-hander is under contract for one more season after 2020

Proposition Joe
I think we all know by now that what team officials signal and what actually happens aren't tied together. It's basically a "reporter asked if Lynn and Gallo will be dealt, team official said there is no plans to trade them at this time".
Proposition Joe
And for those wanting to hold onto Lynn for a trade next season:

Leading up to his final 2 starts before the trade deadline in 2019, Mike Minor was sporting a 2.86 ERA in his last 129 IP.

Leading up to his final 2 starts before the trade deadline in 2020, Lance Lynn is sporting a 2.94 ERA in his last 125 IP.

We couldn't get a bucket of balls for Mike Minor right now.

If we aren't going to compete in 2021 (and we won't), then you don't play games with your best trade asset. You take the best offer for Lynn as soon as possible.
Grapesoda2525
Odor is mired in another 0 for 18 streak and he just got done facing 1 of his favorite opponents ( mariners, royals, orioles) as in teams without pitching staffs.

Should be interesting to see how ugly his numbers look after we play the A's, dodgers, and Astros all in succession.
Trucker 96
Let's be clear about Minor's trade deadline collapse. It was more like 5 starts, not 2. Every start in July was terrible. I think the league saw an outlier in the first half and knew it. He was not good for most of the 2nd half and has been poor this year too. I think the league just knew what he is and there never was much on the table for him
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Major Leaguers who have homered in every season since 2006

-Albert Pujols
-Howie Kendrick
-Matt Kemp
-Robinson Cano
-Edwin Encarnacion
-Nelson Cruz
-Miguel Cabrera
-JEFF MATHIS

This is from a tweet I saw earlier today from Foolish Baseball. Not sure how to embed from mobile. Interesting information nonetheless.
Proposition Joe
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Let's be clear about Minor's trade deadline collapse. It was more like 5 starts, not 2. Every start in July was terrible. I think the league saw an outlier in the first half and knew it. He was not good for most of the 2nd half and has been poor this year too. I think the league just knew what he is and there never was much on the table for him

Yet on July 23rd he had a sub 3 ERA.

I'm not saying the two pitchers or two situations are the same (though mind you Lynn is a year older than Minor), I'm just saying that with most non-ace starters the difference between valuable trade asset and token low-level prospect bargaining chip can happen in the blink of an eye.

The significant factor is time. The more time you can offer the other team with the arm (in this case, 1.5 seasons, 1 playoff race and 1 potential playoff race vs 0.5 season and 1 one potential playoff race) and the less time the teams can find a flaw in the asset -- the better.

I think if you had to put odds on Lance Lynn's 2020 final #'s and first half 2021 numbers being sub-3ERA, they'd be pretty long.
KT 90
AG

xjrayx
AG

Taveras back up. Hope we get to see a lot of him in the coming games.
KT 90
AG
We don't need three catchers. Trevino has taken over as the main guy, one of Mathis/Chrinos needs to go (we'd have to eat salary to trade them). IKF can fill-in in a pinch if needed at catcher.

DeangeloVickers
AG
How many of our players if they were released would not even be picked up...
xjrayx
AG

Well that was fast. Leading off tonight.
Proposition Joe
Well this is a good sign.
Trucker 96
Quote:

Yet on July 23rd he had a sub 3 ERA.
If only teams just scanned ERA before trading.

Obviously more control of a good player adds value. But there is also a buyer pressure market factor in play where decent mid-season offers don't tend to get made in June. There's a reason most of the activity happens at the end of July.

If they get a decent offer for Lynn, trade him. But I disagree with taking just whatever is out there now, which none of us have any idea what that is anyway. This situation has never happened before. Lynn is rolling NOW, but if you don't really value now that much as a buyer due to covid and this ****ed up season and you're not sure what Lynn will have next year, then it doesn't exactly set the table for making a reasonable offer. Teams are projecting just like you are in thinking that his performance has to most likely slide. It isn't some current ERA trade pick value chart like the NFL draft.
xjrayx
AG
Chirinos is DH today lol
Schall 02
AG
That lineup is bad. Really bad.
Proposition Joe
Schall 02 said:

That lineup is bad. Really bad.

But at least it's relatively young.
xjrayx
AG
That's my silver lining - if we have to watch this team lose, at least let's see if some of these young guys can be a part of the future. Want to see Tejeda up soon as well.
Trucker 96
Yeah, I'd rather watch that lineup than some of the other **** they've been putting out
Proposition Joe
Except when you are a team that is desperate for talent, has no chance of competing next year and has failed to capitalize on your last umpteen valuable pitching asset trades then maybe this continued "we didn't like any of the offers we got so we decided to hold onto him" strategy has proven to be pretty unsuccessful.

I've got no problem making a trade of prospects to try and add a piece to a playoff team and it not working out. It happens.

But to hold onto soon-expiring pieces because you don't feel like the offers are good enough, only to see them walk or eventually traded for a bag of balls? How many times do we have to see that?

I mean, just off the top of my head... Yu Darvish was going to get a kings ransom. We got the Dodgers 5th or 6th best prospect... Mike Minor we couldn't even get a bag of balls for right now... Remember we weren't interested in dealing Mike Olt in 2012... He ended up being a throw-in to a 2013 trade. Jurickson Profar was untouchable.

This organization cannot afford a 2021 under-performance or injury to Lance Lynn resulting in no return. If you couple that with a Gallo who will test free agency and suddenly it's not just 2021 you are watching fly away but 2022 and potentially 2023 also.

Yes you want to maximize return, but it's stupid to play the "we're not going to let you get this key piece for cheap, even if it means that we have to hold onto him and get nothing for him" game. I'd prefer taking 50 cents on the dollar right now than possibly getting 90 cents on the dollar next year with the risk that we end up getting nothing.
Trucker 96
Oh boy. Another Darvish mention. They should have traded him in 2016 when they won the division, I guess

Profar's value never recovered from missing 2 years at age 21-22 due to his shoulder. And Olt. Now we are taking issue with prospects not being traded instead of veterans. Pick a lane
South Platte
xjrayx said:

Chirinos is DH today lol

Ha, only Texas can put together a lineup with 3 catchers in it. Hopefully the team will hang out on Harry Hines all night long, get the covid, and the rest of the our season gets canceled.
Trucker 96
I would say you've hit bottom when Chirinos is your DH. But sadly, they've started worse DH's over the past year
KT 90
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

I would say you've hit bottom when Chirinos is your DH. But sadly, they've started worse DH's over the past year

I don't know, Chirinos is sporting a might .129 average right now. Maybe he's been working on his swing while he was on the IL

Trucker 96
Big picture, the Ranger teams that won divisions and pennants were basically built by JD trades as the backbone. So to assume he's somehow forgotten how to do it makes no sense. I think, for various reasons, many casual fans have been overestimating the trade chips the Rangers have had in recent years.

So yeah, go make a trade just for the sake of making a trade and bring in the next middling career journeyman type. That isnt going to change their fortune.

Now his drafting? I'll take issue with all day and it's the reason he needs to go,
Danny Vermin
I'm in until 8:45 when the Stars game starts.
Grapesoda2525
Nice defense odor.
KT 90
AG
and of course Oakland scores in the first inning.... thanks Odor. We can't make it out of the 1st anymore without giving up a run.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Nice defense odor.

Grieve is harping on Odor right now. I find that interesting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.