***** Official 2020 Texas Rangers Season Thread *****

170,613 Views | 3272 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCSWguru
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
hope we get good news about Kluber. But anything to do with shoulder tightness scares the crap out of me as a fan
KT 90
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

hope we get good news about Kluber. But anything to do with shoulder tightness scares the crap out of me as a fan

Yep, hopefully it was just precautionary. He seemed to be throwing fine (to me anyway). We need him to come through this season.

KT 90
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Yeah, there will be plenty of people willing to take a shot on Kluber in free agency to offset any fear of losing a 1yr/$13m deal.

When I typed that I was thinking the option year was for $20M++ per year for 2021. Just looked it up, and it's $18M. So I guess it would depend on if it's something that requires surgery (god forbid....). But it's already almost August, and if he has some kind of surgery that takes up to a year to rehab (with uncertain results of course). JD and the Rangers aren't taking on 18M for just a portion of the season. Minor surgery that has him ready for spring training would be a different proposition.

Hopefully this is all a moot point anyway, and it's something minor and he is good to go soon. And then we exercise that option and have him for 2021.

KT 90
AG
Doh.... this isn't good news. We are just getting the season started...

Trucker 96
I'm gonna take my covids to South Beach.
Proposition Joe
Minor got 3yr/$28m coming off 0 starts in 2017 (and being injured 2015 and 2016).

Kluber with much higher upside.

If he's not significantly injured, he'll get paid in free agency with or without a 2020 showcase.

If he is significantly injured, Texas won't bother with the option anyways.
xjrayx
AG

So tired of 2020....
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Hopefully we're still playing baseball by then.
AgBQ-00
AG
UGH...can we fast forward to next year yet?
KT 90
AG
Yikes, 4 weeks is a killer in a shortened 60 game season. At least it worn't require surgery and hopefully he'll be good to go for the stretch run.... and next season.

Trucker 96
He's not going to throw at all for 4 weeks. So even if it goes well and it recovers enough to start throwing in a month, I'd still expect a 3-4 week strength-building probably follows that. So more like 7-8 weeks out total which is pretty much the rest of the season. I don't expect to see him again in 2020.
Proposition Joe
There's a coin-flip chance 1 inning is all we ever see out of Kluber in a Rangers uniform.
Seven Costanza
AG
xjrayx said:

So tired of 2020....
toucan82
But what a glorious inning it was
Slamn Sharpe
toucan82 said:

But what a glorious inning it was

Can we just all agree to act like the year 2020 never happened?
gigem1223
Ballgame at the barn tonight! Gibson on the bump and Woody switching up the line up slightly.

Choo
Santana
Odor
Gallo
Frazier
Calhoun
Andrus
Chirinos
IKF
Proposition Joe
Globe Life builds a stadium for concerts and now is even losing some of the concerts
Proposition Joe
Clown show.
bert harbinson
AG
More dreadful defense.
Mozart Paintings
AG
Awful
Danny Vermin
Gibson deserved better
Mr Gigem
AG
And that's why IKF should not be the 3B
gigem1223
This **** defense is a product of having so many damn players with no true position. Looking at you JD
Dallasag02
AG
This team really sucks. 25 wins would be an over-achievement.

Good thing we have the Mavericks one channel away.
AgsWin2011
AG
This is a terrible ball club. Was so excited for the season, now just hoping they tank and get rid of JD and Woodward and spend some money.
Proposition Joe
So how early do we punt on 2020 and at least try and stock the system (which we've seemingly been trying to do forever)?

Even if Kluber recovers and has a good off-season, it's still just a 1yr option, so you'd have Lynn/Kluber on 1yr deals and would need to replace Minor... and that's just to get you back to the "3 strong starters and not much else" type team we had going into this year.

I feel like this franchise hasn't come even remotely close to executing any kind of multi-year plan. Everything is piece-mealed and never results in multiple players being +EV around the same time.
gigem1223
If this team continues to suck we need to trade Lynn and Minor and reload the farm
Trucker 96
You sell whatever you can before Aug 31. That said, I'm curious as to how much teams are going to sell out for this *******ized season. I think the market may suck. Do you really want to give up top prospects to make a run in this ****ed up year that covid may send off the rails?
bigcat22
AG
Santana is totally lost at the plate
Dallasag02
AG
Proposition Joe said:

So how early do we punt on 2020 and at least try and stock the system (which we've seemingly been trying to do forever)?

2020 is completely lost. Even if you make a bunch of trades, you're trusting this particular front office to make those moves and identify prospects in return. They haven't made a good trade in a long time.

We're stuck hoping that this front office would actually make a change and then identify a good replacement. I don't expect much from that process.

I expect they'll hire some John Hart re-tread and we'll wander in the wilderness for the next decade. But hey, at least Arlington bought them a new ballpark.
Mr Gigem
AG
This team flat out sucks. 15 wins, tops
Proposition Joe
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

You sell whatever you can before Aug 31. That said, I'm curious as to how much teams are going to sell out for this *******ized season. I think the market may suck. Do you really want to give up top prospects to make a run in this ****ed up year that covid may send off the rails?

Yeah, I wouldn't count on a big return this deadline. I think a lot of teams are treating this as an exhibition year anyways.
Legal Custodian
AG
That wasn't a perfect throw, but that error was on Frazier, correct?
Mozart Paintings
AG
Wow that was gone a year ago
gigem1223
Legal Custodian said:

That wasn't a perfect throw, but that error was on Frazier, correct?

Should be, it did hit his glove, but I think they called it an E5

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.