***** Official 2020 Texas Rangers Season Thread *****

172,356 Views | 3272 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCSWguru
Quincey P. Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CJ thinks anyone gives a crap how minor felt about Profar watching a ball down the line for a second? If they're gonna be this sensitive about people scoring runs they should probably all just opt out now.
Aggie_3
Proposition Joe
Grapesoda2525 said:

Proposition Joe said:

Not sure how much we realistically could have gotten for Minor at the deadline. At the very least the addition of Kluber and the hopes of a Kluber/Minor/Lynn top-3 made not trading him acceptable in hindsight.

Lynn needs to be moved as soon as possible, for whatever we can get. Offer Gallo a long-term deal and if he's wanting to wait it out, add him to the trading block as well. Foolish to have value guys on the team that won't be on the team when it's a contender again (2022+).
Lynn needs to be traded during a full 162 game season with no pandemic threatening to shut down the season.

Nobody knows what to expect in the fall when the weather gets cooler.

We're over a third of the way through the regular season with only one significant setback (StL). It's unlikely we're shutting down the season.

And shortened season or not, the contract year still counts. You hold onto Lynn until a full-season next year and you're right back where we always seem to end up - in a "trade him or get nothing" scenario where you have to hope there's multiple suitors and they all know you have zero leverage.
MSFC Aggie
AG

laugh/cry face
DeangeloVickers
AG
Woodward is being like Astros old coach. A *****.

If you don't like it stop em. Throw a ball at someone is stupid. Play the game.
wbt5845
AG
Gallo is a beast
Quincey P. Morris
AG
J-Bomb!
powerbelly
AG
Fastball middle-in seems like a poor decision to a lefty.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
They really need to sign him. He's exactly the guy that's gonna end up signing with the Angels and we get to deal with him for the rest of his career.
agsalaska
AG
Anyone else having problems finding the game on TV. My FSSW is showing the Stars.
Slamn Sharpe
I'm watching via Hulu-Live
Slamn Sharpe
double scores a run

Texas 4
SD 6
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'm on Hulu Live as well. Think it's on the alternate.
agsalaska
AG
Must be. I have ****ty cable and dont have the alternate. Go Stars though. They need to win today.

Doesnt matter. I leave in 15 minutes for baseball practice.
Slamn Sharpe
stole 3rd base! Terrible throw but he had an awesome jump
Grapesoda2525
Proposition Joe said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Proposition Joe said:

Not sure how much we realistically could have gotten for Minor at the deadline. At the very least the addition of Kluber and the hopes of a Kluber/Minor/Lynn top-3 made not trading him acceptable in hindsight.

Lynn needs to be moved as soon as possible, for whatever we can get. Offer Gallo a long-term deal and if he's wanting to wait it out, add him to the trading block as well. Foolish to have value guys on the team that won't be on the team when it's a contender again (2022+).
Lynn needs to be traded during a full 162 game season with no pandemic threatening to shut down the season.

Nobody knows what to expect in the fall when the weather gets cooler.

We're over a third of the way through the regular season with only one significant setback (StL). It's unlikely we're shutting down the season.

And shortened season or not, the contract year still counts. You hold onto Lynn until a full-season next year and you're right back where we always seem to end up - in a "trade him or get nothing" scenario where you have to hope there's multiple suitors and they all know you have zero leverage.
I think Lynn is a different asset from mike minor or yu darvish.

Mike minor had an extremely terrible month of July last year before the deadline. Darvish just came off several surgeries and I think everyone knew he wasn't going to resign with us.

Lynn is much more stable than both and I wouldn't fault the rangers at all for extending him since he's the ace we've never been able to find. Lynn would probably be receptive to re-signing with us since he's had some of the best years of his career here and we no longer have a ballpark from hell that heatwaves people to death.
KT 90
AG
why did we use Trevino to PH against a RH pitcher, with Calhoun on the bench available to PH?

KT 90
AG
KT 90 said:

why did we use Trevino to PH against a RH pitcher, with Calhoun on the bench available to PH?

looks like Evan was wondering the same:

Trucker 96
KT 90 said:

Because SD would have brought in the lefty sidearmer from the pen. So the Rangers liked their odds with Trevino against a struggling reliever than Calhoun vs a fresh sidearming lefty
powerbelly
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

KT 90 said:

Because SD would have brought in the lefty sidearmer from the pen. So the Rangers liked their odds with Trevino against a struggling reliever
This is my guess.
KT 90
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

KT 90 said:

Because SD would have brought in the lefty sidearmer from the pen. So the Rangers liked their odds with Trevino against a struggling reliever than Calhoun vs a fresh sidearming lefty

That makes sense. I might make them use up their relievers and take my chances with Calhoun, but I can see the other side too. Trevino has been hitting fairly well, so not a terrible option.

xjrayx
AG
So fun to watch Hernandez, even if we are losing.
Slamn Sharpe
Gallo has struck out twice today on a fastball. Twice that I've seen
Slamn Sharpe
Another chance blown. Stranded 2 in the 9th
Proposition Joe
Then why not talk extension now?

If him and Gallo are shelving talks on extensions, it means they are going to test the market. If they are going to test the market, then why not get what we can get?

One foot in, one foot out in the MLB just leaves you mired in mediocrity. Either you commit to rebuilding, or you commit to winning.
wbt5845
AG
Proposition Joe said:

If him and Gallo are shelving talks on extensions, it means they are going to test the market. If they are going to test the market, then why not get what we can get?

One foot in, one foot out in the MLB just leaves you mired in mediocrity. Either you commit to rebuilding, or you commit to winning.

My thought is - if you dont think you can build a winner around Gallo, it's time to tear the whole thing down. But I really think you can. He's one of the best young power hitters I've seen in a long time.

Go ahead and lock him up - let's see if Jung, Huff, Taveras, as well as IKF, Solak, etc are going to produce as expected, then fill in with FAs where required.
Proposition Joe
wbt5845 said:

Proposition Joe said:

My thought is - if you dont think you can build a winner around Gallo, it's time to tear the whole thing down. But I really think you can. He's one of the best young power hitters I've seen in a long time.

Go ahead and lock him up - let's see if Jung, Huff, Taveras, as well as IKF, Solak, etc are going to produce as expected, then fill in with FAs where required.

I've got no problem with Gallo being the centerpiece of the franchise's future and the (incredibly goofy) face of the franchise. But he's turning 27 this year and is only under control another 2 years -- so if he's not willing to talk extension now (restructure two arbitration years + tack on 3 on the backend to control him for 5 years and he can still get his big FA payday at 33) then you're putting yourself in a position where you possibly have to pay him as a free agent to stick around -- and Texas can't afford to do that with the position they are in unless they really hit on all of their young, cheap talent.

We can't keep being in the position that we have expensive mediocre veterans combined with cheap mediocre young guys.
vette
AG
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29161057/is-your-favorite-mlb-team-cursed

1. Texas Rangers: The Curse of the Senators

The Washington Senators became the Texas Rangers in 1972, and it wasn't peaceful: Washington fans hopped the barriers with two out in the ninth inning of the club's final game, plundered the field (including the bases, etc.) and turned an impending thanks-for-everything Washington victory into a defeat by forfeit. Things got no better once the club arrived in Texas.

As Brandon Conner, who writes the Hello Win Column newsletter, points out, the Rangers have opened new ballparks three times, and each season was shortened: by a season-delaying strike in 1972, by a season-ending strike in 1994, and by the coronavirus pandemic of 2020. They are the oldest franchise without a title, with 59 unfulfilled seasons stretching back to their 11 years as the Washington Senators. Even limiting the history to the Texas years puts the Rangers alongside the Padres, Brewers and Mariners as expansion teams that have raised fans from childhood to grandparenthood without producing a title. Of those teams (or any expansion team ever), the Rangers took the longest to get good, with a quarter-century before their first postseason appearance. And during the 1970s, they suffered under two of the most chaotic, debt-riddled ownership groups in baseball history. (In 1977, their owner broke into tears during interviews after a loss.)

Of those expansion teams, they also got the closest to winning a title: one strike away, in the 2011 World Series. Then, as Conner says he chooses to remember it, "the ground under Busch Stadium suddenly opened up and swallowed both teams whole." (As the rest of us remember it, David Freese tripled over Nelson Cruz to tie the score, and later in the game homered to win it.)
Since then, the Rangers have:

• Blown a 13-game lead over the Oakland A's in the AL West (2012)
  • Lost a wild-card game (2012)
  • Lost a tiebreaking Game 163 against the Rays (2013)
  • Blown a 2-0 lead in a five-game series; been bat-flipped by Jose Bautista (2015)
  • Been swept in a division series (2016)
  • Finished an average of 29 games out of first place over the past three years (2017-2019)

"Fairly or not, the results raise questions about whether the franchise has recovered from 2011," the Dallas Morning News wrote, but that doesn't add up: These Rangers are pretty much all new players, a new manager. The more rational questions are: Are curses real? And, if they can do such brutal things to the Texas Rangers, why aren't we all constantly more afraid of them?

KT 90
AG
Quote:

the Rangers have opened new ballparks three times, and each season was shortened: by a season-delaying strike in 1972, by a season-ending strike in 1994, and by the coronavirus pandemic of 2020

I had seen that noted before in an article, but that's just crazy if you think about the odds of that happening each time.

KT 90
AG
wbt5845 said:

Proposition Joe said:

I'm up for committing to Gallo with a new deal. Good player, seems to like it in Texas and doesn't have some crazy personality that would lead to embarrassing the organization. I'd check in with Lynn this off-season about an extension as well. GLF is showing to be a pitchers park, so he may be inclined to take it.

Before the season I might have been interested in a new deal for Minor, but he's not getting it done this season. I think there is a physical issue he is trying to work through, but who knows. He's nothing like the pitcher he has been previously so far this season.

Of course.... with our current ownership group, they may be hesitant to sign anybody long term right now. They seem to be pinching pennies at every opportunity. Maybe they will hurry up and sell to someone else.
Mr Gigem
AG
Can someone smarter than me explain what would stop Mark Cuban from calling Ray Davis tonight to make an offer to purchase the team?
wbt5845
AG
AccidentProne said:

Can someone smarter than me explain what would stop Mark Cuban from calling Ray Davis tonight to make an offer to purchase the team?

Honest question - you think MLB would approve that?
Chipotlemonger
AG
MLB continually shoots themselves in the foot. Having a high energy high profile owner like that would do a lot to help a stagant franchise and division.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Didn't he already try to buy the team when this group did?

Edit:

Found it.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mavericks/2017/09/27/we-thought-we-had-it-remember-when-mark-cuban-and-jim-crane-nearly-bought-the-texas-rangers/

It was even with Jim Crane. Maybe MLB has pulled their heads out in the last 10 years, but I doubt it.
wbt5845
AG
Ranger #007 said:

Maybe MLB has pulled their heads out in the last 10 years, but I doubt it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.