***** Official 2020 Texas Rangers Season Thread *****

172,447 Views | 3272 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCSWguru
Old Tom Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Then we need oil and nat gas prices to rise. It was $80/bbl when they bought in 2010. Now it's half that. Same trend on nat gas
EastSideAg2002
xjrayx said:

Then we will be forced to find compromising photos or objectionable audio recordings.
Grapesoda2525
Old Tom Morris said:

Then we need oil and nat gas prices to rise. It was $80/bbl when they bought in 2010. Now it's half that. Same trend on nat gas
I'll stick with my lower prices at the pump thank you very much.
Carlo4
AG
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30011360/carlos-correa-throws-gauntlet-houston-astros-haters

1. You had a losing record, including one of the worst on the road.
2. You wouldn't have made the playoffs in a normal year.
3. Exception of Springer, you clearly all benefited from cheating.
4. You beat a team with a historic 18 game playoff losing streak.

You have done nothing. I'll listen if you make it to the World Series.
Grapesoda2525
Carlo4 said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30011360/carlos-correa-throws-gauntlet-houston-astros-haters

They're not winning it all this year.

They faced Minnesota....a team who has lost 18 playoff games in a row. Big deal.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I feel certain that Verlander is going to end up pitching as a Ranger in 2022 if he doesn't hang it up. The only question is if he makes it more than one start before he hurts himself like Kluber. Signing him is the ultimate JD reclamation project move.
South Platte
Carlo4 said:

Just when you think the Astros have something going, leave it to Carlos Correa to mess it up. He simply cannot shut his mouth and play baseball.
KT 90
AG
Ranger #007 said:

I feel certain that Verlander is going to end up pitching as a Ranger in 2022 if he doesn't hang it up. The only question is if he makes it more than one start before he hurts himself like Kluber. Signing him is the ultimate JD reclamation project move.

It worked with Nolan when Houston gave up on him. I'd give it a go if he puts in the rehab work and it was an affordable contract.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/10/rangers-to-reduce-payroll-in-2021.html

Rangers not expected to go much beyond $100 million in payroll next year. That's going to be some awesome baseball.
DannyDuberstein
AG
More rona and a second 60 game season might not be the worst thing

Giving these high picks to JD is a waste though
DallasAg 94
IronAg45
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

More rona and a second 60 game season might not be the worst thing

Giving these high picks to JD is a waste though

I agree, although one can hope that JD can blind squirrel his way to something good...
AgBQ-00
AG
Don't see anyway this team is competitive (outside of some destiny miracle type season) for years to come. Why can we not draft talent and get them to the majors to contribute? What is this front office missing when it comes to talent eval?
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
JWinTX
What they are missing is actually development of starting pitchers that can do anything at the major league levels. Who has been the best home grown starter they have had who they drafted, brought up, and turned into something productive for them?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Probably CJ Wilson. And Jon Daniels was a 23 year old intern with the Rockies when they drafted CJ.
KT 90
AG
Pitching coach Rangel not returning to Rangers. Ortiz also not returning, but is being offered a minor league position.

https://www.mlb.com/rangers/news/rangers-pitching-coach-julio-rangel-contract-not-renewed

KT 90
AG
Link to a TR Sullivan writeup on the future of the team moving forward:
https://www.mlb.com/rangers/news/rangers-biggest-questions-after-2020-season

Too long to post the whole article, but here is the last section:

When will be the Rangers be serious contenders again?

Probably 2023. By then, the Rangers current batch of young position players will be proven Major Leaguers and will be reinforced by infielders Sherten Apostel, Josh Jung, Davis Wendzel and Justin Foscue, and outfielders Steele Walker, Bayron Lora and Bubba Thompson. In addition, their young pitchers should have made up for lost time and be ready to let it loose in the big leagues. At that point, the Rangers could start getting aggressive again in the free-agent market.
Proposition Joe
Sounds about right. 2022 if things happen early (kinda like 2010), but most likely 2023 and that's just to be a "contender".

Frustrating part is the Astros built this window from tanking where it was unrealistic for us to really win the division until 2022 anyways -- so the fact that we wasted $$$ and development time trying to piece-meal together a competitive club in 2018-2020 when the best they were ever going to be is wildcard playoff cannon fodder just made the rebuild unnecessarily long.

I'll give them a pass on 2018 because with Adrian Beltre's final year it just wouldn't have been right to throw up the white flag in the preseason, but the aim all along should have been to have 2020 be the "we're close but not quite there" year, with 2021 being the opening of our window.

A 2023 window means we're going to be dealing with Seattle/Anaheim/Oakland all having their windows open and likely right on the cusp of Houston opening theirs up again (I'm guessing 2021/2022 is a step-back for Houston).
Danny Vermin
Two more, Rays!!!
KT 90
AG
It's official, Rangers get the #2 pick in the mlb draft, behind the Pirates. Just had a pop up message in the phone.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Nice. Hopefully the pain will pay off.
Schall 02
AG
Maybe Buehler will like pitching in Arlington.
toucan82
Betts looks good out in right field
South Platte
Schall 02 said:

Maybe Buehler someone will like pitching in Arlington.
Beggars can't be choosers.
South Platte
KT 90 said:

It's official, Rangers get the #2 pick in the mlb draft, behind the Pirates. Just had a pop up message in the phone.
So it's either Rocker or Leiter? Given our history of never developing a single pitcher in the history of our franchise, maybe we should go best position player available and sign free agent pitchers.
Proposition Joe
South Platte said:

KT 90 said:

So it's either Rocker or Leiter? Given our history of never developing a single pitcher in the history of our franchise, maybe we should go best position player available and sign free agent pitchers.

We're 6 months away from the draft - it could be anyone. People get caught up in these early mock drafts. Rocker is more or less a consensus #1 at this point but a lot can change between now and June. Leiter isn't even really a consensus #2 pick anymore.
PatAg
AG

stadium looks nice on the inside still

Looking forward to finally catching a Rangers game there
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, Leiter is practically a HS pitcher. He's thrown 15 college innings. I expect a fair amount of jumbling in prospects this spring given no one, HS or college, got to play last season. Unless there is some freak no brain HS position player, I want an established top college prospect.
DallasAg 94
linkdude
AG
Edit
bthotugigem05
AG
Brought my camera to the game tonight and shot this panorama, thought y'all would enjoy

Danny Vermin
Its all the umps fault as usual on the cheaters thread and throw in wishing death for blue as well.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Postgame show talking about Altuve having the yips.
Carlo4
AG
Ranger #007 said:

He's on his way to Chuck Knoblauch and Rick Ankiel. He's had a really terrible season after so many great ones. Does this mean the pressure of people saying mean things to him is doing him in or the fact he was cheating like crazy and has to do it on his own is causing it?
IronAg45
AG
Ranger #007 said:

Karma's a *****

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.