***** Official 2020 Texas Rangers Season Thread *****

172,492 Views | 3272 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCSWguru
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seven Costanza said:

It really is astounding to have so many of your regulars finish the season hitting below .200.

Andrus, Odor, Gallo, Calhoun, and Santana.
The hitting coach would be in trouble in other organizations.

But here? It will be " oh well try again next year".
Proposition Joe
I mean, much of the national media glossed over that Reid Ryan insinuated that we didn't care about Harvey victims only to later admit that he just wanted a competitive advantage.

The whole franchise during that time period was devoid of righteousness. It was "win at all costs".
Old Tom Morris
Yeah, the entire astros franchise and their fans can suck a bag of dicks
Grapesoda2525
Proposition Joe said:

I mean, much of the national media glossed over that Reid Ryan insinuated that we didn't care about Harvey victims only to later admit that he just wanted a competitive advantage.

The whole franchise during that time period was devoid of righteousness. It was "win at all costs".
I hate the astros a lot less now that Reid Ryan is gone.

I still wish someone would beat the **** out of that idiot.
TXAggie2011
AG
Are Mitch Moreland and Elvis Andrus the only two hitters the Rangers have actually shepherded into having real multi year effectiveness at the MLB level since the Ian Kinsler/David Murphy generation?

And even Mitch Moreland has had some real downs.

Like maybe Joey Gallo will get there, sure, but man, he's still been a roller coaster.
Grapesoda2525
TXAggie2011 said:

Are Mitch Moreland and Elvis Andrus the only two hitters the Rangers have actually shepherded into having real multi year effectiveness at the MLB level since the Ian Kinsler/David Murphy generation?

And even Mitch Moreland has had some real downs.

Like maybe Joey Gallo will get there, sure, but man, he's still been a roller coaster.
I think most of elvis's development was done by the Braves.
bigcat22
AG
David Murphy also came up through Red Sox organization and was MLB player when traded to the Rangers.

In terms of pure home grown offensive power house, the last I can think of is Teixeira, which was like 20 years ago...
Grapesoda2525
Unfortunately Odor has done enough in the last week to solidify his spot in your Texas Rangers lineup for the next 10 years.
Old Tom Morris
Pretty much the entire division winning teams for 8 years were built via trade and FA. Kinsler, Mitch, And Odor are about it as far as home grown contributors
TXAggie2011
AG
Elvis hadn't played above A+ when he came to the organization, so I think you got to give some credit there.

I forget that Murphy was already 25 when he was traded to Texas.
Law Hall 69-72
AG
Fire JD. Keep Grubes.
TV Casualty
AG
bigcat22 said:

David Murphy also came up through Red Sox organization and was MLB player when traded to the Rangers.

In terms of pure home grown offensive power house, the last I can think of is Teixeira, which was like 20 years ago...

Teixeira only spent on year in the minors. He was drafted as a major league ready prospect out of college. So even with him you could argue that he was developed more by Georgia Tech than by the Rangers.

Seems like I remember teams passing on Teixeira in the draft because he had Scott Boras for an agent. Teams feared that it was going to be incredibly expensive to sign him.
alvtimes
anyone else think that maybe AJ Preller (padres) was doing the heavy liftin for JD when he was here??? Padres farm seems well stocked and MLB team seems ready to compete..... Rangers .... not so much
Grapesoda2525
alvtimes said:

anyone else think that maybe AJ Preller (padres) was doing the heavy liftin for JD when he was here??? Padres farm seems well stocked and MLB team seems ready to compete..... Rangers .... not so much
The rangers were the talk of MLB from 2009-2013.

During that time, we suffered a massive brain drain while other organizations raided us for front office talent. It looks like the subordinates were much better than the guy we had at the top. No other way to spin it. Levine has also had the twins in the playoffs many years since he's been up there.
Proposition Joe
Preller has been with the Padres since 2014. During tha time they routinely finished 20+ games under 0.500 and he was suspended for 30 days (which is extremely rare for a GM).

Padres are setup nicely because they sucked for a long time and now have finally decided to open up the checkbook.

I think the secret sauce for a lot of GMs, Daniels included, was international scouting before the restrictions were put in place.
DallasAg 94
J.P. 03
AG
Found this quote in an Evan Grant article today in case Grapesoda needs a new signature:

Quote:

"I think I'm going to be here forever," Odor said. "I don't want to play for another team. I love this team, and I want to be here. I want to win with this team. I always look at it like I have to win my job."
Grapesoda2525
J.P. 03 said:

Found this quote in an Evan Grant article today in case Grapesoda needs a new signature:

Quote:

"I think I'm going to be here forever," Odor said. "I don't want to play for another team. I love this team, and I want to be here. I want to win with this team. I always look at it like I have to win my job."

I'm going to go kill myself.

Later guys!
DallasAg 94
Please don't joke about that... you are joking, right?
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
EastSideAg2002
Where does he rank in KOs by a 2nd baseman?
South Platte
EastSideAg2002 said:

Where does he rank in KOs by a 2nd baseman?
We should seriously just have him work on his defense, then use the DH to hit for him. Let Lynn, Kluber, etc. hit as pitchers in the 9 spot.
Seven Costanza
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

At the age of 26... Odor is currently #10 All-Time in HRs by a 2B.

1. Ron Santo: 342 <- MLB has him as a 2B, but only played 41G at 2B. he played 2119 @ 3B.
2. Biggio: 291 (226 as a 2B)
3. Lou Whitaker: 244
4. Bobby Doerr: 223
5. Roberto Alomar: 210
6. Ray Durham: 192
7. Charlie Gehringer: 184
8. Frank White: 160
9 Kelly Johnson: 155
10: Odor: 146 (145 as a 2B)
11.: Pedroia: 140

His 458 RBIs put him at #46.
Where did you get these numbers? You left off a bunch of huge names.

Kent, Sandberg, Cano, Hornsby, Soriano, Utley, Uggla, Boone, Morgan, Kinsler, Brandon Phillips, and many more.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

J.P. 03 said:

Quote:

Here is the thing I've tried to explain on here, about Rougie...

He led the team in HRs and RBIs, this season (and last season), despite playing in only 40 of the 60 games.

Odor: 40 G, 10 HR, 30 RBI <- 26G @ 5th and 6th in the lineup
Gallo: 47 G, 10 HR, 26 RBI
Solak: 58 G, 2 HR, 23 RBI
Choo: 33 G, 5 HR, 15 RBI
Calhoun: 29 G, 1 HR, 13 RBI

Odor: 145 G, 30 HR, 93 RBI <- 94G @ 6th & 7th in the order
Santana: 130 G, 28 HR, 81 RBI
Andrus: 147 G, 12 HR, 72 RBI

Choo: 151 G, 24 HR, 61 RBI
Gallo: 70 G, 22 HR, 49 RBI

Nobody has produced more Runs the past 2 years, than Odor. And it isn't even close. And he has done it from the bottom of the lineup.

If you have a guy that can put up 30 HRs and 100 RBI playing 2B, and hitting in the 6/7 hole?! That's easy money.
shouldnt it matter at all that the guy always hits below .200, his defense at 2nd is questionable at best, and he never draws walks to boost the on base percentage?

he's still a terrible player who the rest of MLB would not want anything to do with.

id rather have a second baseman who was intelligent, hit for avg, played good defense and had a decent on base percentage.

I strongly prefer defense up the middle and power on the corners. I don't want a guy who plays below average defense and has below average OBP starting for me at 2nd. If he was a gold glove 2B and hit .200 with 20HRs (normal year) then I'd deal with it. But he isn't a good defender and he can't be counted on at the plate. Need a hit, he will K. Game is over and out of reach, he will get you a HR.

The pitcher he hit those 2 home runs on the last day of the season won't be pitching for the Astros in the playoffs coming up. He feasts off bad pitching and racks up stats when it doesn't matter. He doesn't contribute when it matters.
Old Tom Morris
What hurts is that Gallo was worse than Odor this year. No way do I go sign myself up for an Odor-esque arb year buyout deal
DallasAg 94
TV Casualty
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

J.P. 03 said:

Quote:

Here is the thing I've tried to explain on here, about Rougie...

He led the team in HRs and RBIs, this season (and last season), despite playing in only 40 of the 60 games.

Odor: 40 G, 10 HR, 30 RBI <- 26G @ 5th and 6th in the lineup
Gallo: 47 G, 10 HR, 26 RBI
Solak: 58 G, 2 HR, 23 RBI
Choo: 33 G, 5 HR, 15 RBI
Calhoun: 29 G, 1 HR, 13 RBI

Nobody has produced more Runs the past 2 years, than Odor. And it isn't even close. And he has done it from the bottom of the lineup.

If you have a guy that can put up 30 HRs and 100 RBI playing 2B, and hitting in the 6/7 hole?! That's easy money.

This year he had a -0.8 WAR, an OPS+ of 64, and a wRC+ of 51.

The only astonishing thing about Odor is that he is capable of hitting 20 to 30 home runs in a year while being one of the worst hitters in baseball. He can lead the team in home runs and still be completely useless.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

shouldnt it matter at all that the guy always hits below .200, his defense at 2nd is questionable at best, and he never draws walks to boost the on base percentage?

he's still a terrible player who the rest of MLB would not want anything to do with.

id rather have a second baseman who was intelligent, hit for avg, played good defense and had a decent on base percentage.

I strongly prefer defense up the middle and power on the corners. I don't want a guy who plays below average defense and has below average OBP starting for me at 2nd. If he was a gold glove 2B and hit .200 with 20HRs (normal year) then I'd deal with it. But he isn't a good defender and he can't be counted on at the plate. Need a hit, he will K. Game is over and out of reach, he will get you a HR.

The pitcher he hit those 2 home runs on the last day of the season won't be pitching for the Astros in the playoffs coming up. He feasts off bad pitching and racks up stats when it doesn't matter. He doesn't contribute when it matters.
Give me the stat that shows "Stranded on base." Especially in the 6 and 7 hole.

I've spoken to this many times... I don't like the philosophy, but it is (or was) prevalent... and was throughout the Rangers organization, et al. It is why you see them still trying to mash the ball into a shift. It is why the Rangers consistently hit big power numbers, but terrible for average.

It is believed swinging for the fences, even if down 0-2 in the count... it is more productive scoring runs, than taking what the pitcher and the defense give you.

It is like the Sac Bunt. Statistically, it is giving up an Out.

Seemed like it was something Anthony Iapoce (brought in for 2016) implemented system wide...

It's wrong.

They need to place emphasis on putting the ball in play and getting on base. Especially with our new ball park where it's harder to hit a home run,
DallasAg 94
TXAggie2011
AG
Maybe other guys on the team would have more RBI if Odor was ever on base
DallasAg 94
xjrayx
AG

Don't like that. Not one bit.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.