***Official 2020-2021 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

175,687 Views | 2549 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MW03
Spaceship
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

This is gonna get the boomers goin

I can already hear the dozens of "i'm done watching the NBA" from people who have never watched the NBA.
Why exactly do we play the SSB before every game? Just to give a medium talent local a place to show off?

I guess I'm in the minority, but I think small reminders of patriotism and gratitude for where we live are a good thing for our society.
M.C. Swag
AG
I guarantee you alot of people will be pissed about this and they'll love nothing more than to use this as a reason to express their 'new' dislike of the nba (not saying that's you).

And there's nothing wrong with 'showing gratitude' but if you've ever been to other sporting events outside the U.S., it's a strange tradition. Alot of foreigners look at it like some form of indoctrination of american exceptionalism.

EDIT: I guess what I'm trying to say is..i'm not looking forward to the F16 crowd that will undoubtedly flock to this thread over this.
EconAg18
AG
Here is my thing: if people truly cared enough about this no longer happening, then why didn't they voice their concern over the span of the 13 games where it was no longer played?
Guitarsoup
AG
Spaceship said:

Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

I can already hear the dozens of "i'm done watching the NBA" from people who have never watched the NBA.
Why exactly do we play the SSB before every game? Just to give a medium talent local a place to show off?

I guess I'm in the minority, but I think small reminders of patriotism and gratitude for where we live are a good thing for our society.
And you need that before a Tuesday night game between the Mavs and Kings?

Do you sing it before you go to work?
Does Congress sing it before they go to work?
Does Biden sing it before he unilaterally decides who gets the money I worked hard for?
Spaceship
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Spaceship said:

Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

Does Biden sing it before he unilaterally decides who gets the money I worked hard for?

That's quite a logical leap there and obviously not what my original comment meant.

American, despite its flaws, is indeed exceptional. Some are grateful for that and some feel entitled to it. I think little symbols of patriotism in society helps shape the former and minimize the latter. It's something small, but helps positively shape our outlook. I think the SSB tradition is a cool one, and what other countries do is totally irrelevant to me. What's the point of NOT doing it? Why the change now?
True Anomaly
AG
It's a tradition that needs to end. Excellent move
M.C. Swag
AG
Quote:

What's the point of NOT doing it? Why the change now?
It's a point of contention and has become highly politicized. Cuban was tired of the 'outrage' so decided to end it;

"The National Anthem Police in this country are out of control. If you want to complain, complain to your boss and ask why they don't play the National Anthem every day before you start work." - Per the article
Guitarsoup
AG
Spaceship said:

Guitarsoup said:

Spaceship said:

Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

That's quite a logical leap there and obviously not what my original comment meant.

American, despite its flaws, is indeed exceptional. Some are grateful for that and some feel entitled to it. I think little symbols of patriotism in society helps shape the former and minimize the latter. It's something small, but helps positively shape our outlook. I think the SSB tradition is a cool one, and what other countries do is totally irrelevant to me. What's the point of NOT doing it? Why the change now?
Is it a logical leap? Our own state and national leaders don't start their work with it. But entertainers participating in SOME events do.

So it's an entertainment thing, but we don't do it for TV, movies, video games, e-sports, etc. So it isn't really an entertainment thing.

So why do we do it? We want to show our patriotism and gratitude before we cheer on a Slovenian and a Latvian make tens of millions of dollars to throw a ball in a hoop?
Spaceship
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Spaceship said:

Guitarsoup said:

Spaceship said:

Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

Is it a logical leap? Our own state and national leaders don't start their work with it. But entertainers participating in SOME events do.

So it's an entertainment thing, but we don't do it for TV, movies, video games, e-sports, etc. So it isn't really an entertainment thing.

So why do we do it? We want to show our patriotism and gratitude before we cheer on a Slovenian and a Latvian make tens of millions of dollars to throw a ball in a hoop?

This argument doesn't make any sense. I don't sing the Aggie War Hymn daily when I wake up, so should we eliminate it from Kyle Field? I don't sing Jingle Bells before going to work, so should we eliminate it from Christmas time? Things have a time and place as governed by tradition. One unrelated thing doesn't justify another.

The SSB is good because it reminds us that before and after a contest that both opposing sides of a court/field/game that we're all united in some bigger way. Eliminating it because it's now somehow too offensive or inconvenient actually is even more divisive than having it. Cuban is being very shortsighted on this.
True Anomaly
AG
Spaceship said:

Guitarsoup said:

Spaceship said:

Guitarsoup said:

Spaceship said:

Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

This argument doesn't make any sense. I don't sing the Aggie War Hymn daily when I wake up, so should we eliminate it from Kyle Field? I don't sing Jingle Bells before going to work, so should we eliminate it from Christmas time? Things have a time and place as governed by tradition. One unrelated thing doesn't justify another.

The SSB is good because it reminds us that before and after a contest that both opposing sides of a court/field/game that we're all united in some bigger way. Eliminating it because it's now somehow too offensive or inconvenient actually is even more divisive than having it. Cuban is being very shortsighted on this.
Is the idea of being united as Americans suddenly evaporate because a private, professional sporting contest doesn't play the national anthem? I think that's a big stretch

I seriously won't miss it. And I somehow won't forget what country I'm in when I continue to attend Mavs games.
Spaceship
AG
True Anomaly said:

Spaceship said:

Guitarsoup said:

Spaceship said:

Guitarsoup said:

Spaceship said:

Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

Is the idea of being united as Americans suddenly evaporate because a private, professional sporting contest doesn't play the national anthem? I think that's a big stretch

I seriously won't miss it. And I somehow won't forget what country I'm in when I continue to attend Mavs games.

No it won't suddenly evaporate, and that's not what I said either. My point is it's another step in the disintegration of American pride that's unfolding in the current generation (and I'm a millennial saying this, not some old cynic). If we eliminate every reminder of what makes the US a great place to live, we'll soon forget that it is.
Guitarsoup
AG
Spaceship said:

Guitarsoup said:

Spaceship said:

Guitarsoup said:

Spaceship said:

Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

Your argument doesn't make sense.

The War Hymn is the fight song of A&M, so eliminating it from A&M makes no sense.

The National Anthem has nothing to do with the Mavericks and their best players aren't even American.

We are united in some way? But the crowd is probably from dozens of different countries and the players in any given game are probably from a half dozen countries. Dallas next game will be vs Atlanta. Countries represented:
USA
Slovenia
Switzerland
Serbia (x2)
Latvia
Australia
Canada
Germany
Angola
Italy

It isn't because it is offensive or inconvenient, it just doesn't really make sense.

If you need more patriotism and gratitude in your life, I am sure you can find a spotify channel and rock out to some Lee Greenwood and Jimi Hendrix and make that part of your day.
WestTexasAg
AG
What a bunch of crap. Don't care much at all about the NBA, but Luka is fun to watch. F this. Good job Cuban.
Spaceship
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Spaceship said:

Guitarsoup said:

Spaceship said:

Guitarsoup said:

Spaceship said:

Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

The War Hymn is the fight song of A&M, so eliminating it from A&M makes no sense.

The National Anthem has nothing to do with the Mavericks and their best players aren't even American.

We are united in some way? But the crowd is probably from dozens of different countries and the players in any given game are probably from a half dozen countries. Dallas next game will be vs Atlanta. Countries represented:
USA
Slovenia
Switzerland
Serbia (x2)
Latvia
Australia
Canada
Germany
Angola
Italy

It isn't because it is offensive or inconvenient, it just doesn't really make sense.

If you need more patriotism and gratitude in your life, I am sure you can find a spotify channel and rock out to some Lee Greenwood and Jimi Hendrix and make that part of your day.

And yet those players from all over the world aspire to be here to play in an American League, played in American cities and in front of American fans. That's why it makes sense - because 99% of people going to these games are American.

Also, your half ass comments about Lee Greenwood, etc show that you don't understand there's a slightly deeper argument at play here.
hph6203
AG
You have to actually tie the Star Spangled Banner played before sporting events to actually engendering patriotism. As it stands all it does is lead to arguments like this one, and even before the controversy sparked by Kaepernick I don't think many people were listening and actually reflecting on the nature of this country. Was more a stand up, shut up, and be still for 2 minutes (and a lot of people didn't even do that) before each game and then for 30 seconds turn to your friend and say "man, they butchered it."
Guitarsoup
AG
Spaceship said:

Guitarsoup said:

Spaceship said:

Guitarsoup said:

Spaceship said:

Guitarsoup said:

Spaceship said:

Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

USA
Slovenia
Switzerland
Serbia (x2)
Latvia
Australia
Canada
Germany
Angola
Italy

And yet those players from all over the world aspire to be here to play in an American League, played in American cities and in front of American fans. That's why it makes sense - because 99% of people going to these games are American.

Also, your half ass comments about Lee Greenwood, etc show that you don't understand there's a slightly deeper argument at play here.
Oh no, I get that you are trying to make a deeper argument, but it isn't working.

These guys do want to play here, but there are also Americans that play other sports that aspire to play overseas. And people of all countries that dream of playing their sport in a number of different places. The Spanish aren't trying to force their anthem before the Barca Real Madrid matches. But those are games between the best players in the world that came from all over to place for those clubs in Spain. They don't play whatever Brit song before Arsenal v Liverpool.

There really isn't a great reason to have it. Patriotism? Before a game where 1/3rd of the players are foreign and DGAF about it?

Why did sporting events become the time to flex the patriotism muscle?

We are outliers, internationally.

If you actually read about the history of playing the SSB at sporting events, the first time it was done, it was patriotic. But it wasn't before the game and it didn't become a thing for decades later.

To me, more spontaneous shows of patriotism are a helluva lot more meaningful than the force and often contrived SSB before some sporting events (again, not all) that we have here in America. That's why RWBout was so incredible. And that's why the first time it was played at the 1918 World Series was such a momentous event.
True Anomaly
AG
hph6203 said:

You have to actually tie the Star Spangled Banner played before sporting events to actually engendering patriotism. As it stands all it does is lead to arguments like this one, and even before the controversy sparked by Kaepernick I don't think many people were listening and actually reflecting on the nature of this country. Was more a stand up, shut up, and be still for 2 minutes (and a lot of people didn't even do that) before each game and then for 30 seconds turn to your friend and say "man, they butchered it."

Say it really ****ing loud for the people in the back
M.C. Swag
AG
I'd rather stand up to honor the MJ era Chicago Bulls intro. That **** slapped.
Ol Jock 99
AG
My guess: Cuban had a top black player or players come to him and say "boss, we're knelling." Cuban knows that his 2 top (and most marketable) players won't care cause they aren't from here. And he know that a healthy percentage of his bench won't care cause they aren't from here either.

So, Option A is teams kneels, cameras focus on it, news stories about it, and it pissed off sponsors and fans. Or Option B, force them to stand, and create unnecessary locker room issues.

So he went with Option C.

True Anomaly
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

My guess: Cuban had a top black player or players come to him and say "boss, we're knelling." Cuban knows that his 2 top (and most marketable) players won't care cause they aren't from here. And he know that a healthy percentage of his bench won't care cause they aren't from here either.

So, Option A is teams kneels, cameras focus on it, news stories about it, and it pissed off sponsors and fans. Or Option B, force them to stand, and create unnecessary locker room issues.

So he went with Option C.

Or Option D- none of that happened, and he figured out that it's not mandated anywhere that we do this, so let's just stop doing it

The Musers this morning pointed this out which I wasn't aware- for the first 16 years of the Mavs existence, they didn't even play the National Anthem before games- they played either "God Bless America" or "America the Beautiful" (I can't remember which one). And no one can claim Don Carter wasn't a conservative
M.C. Swag
AG
Orrr...he made the decision himself months ago and it's only now being reported b/c a couple Mavs employees were asked about it.
BallerStaf2003
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Orrr...he made the decision himself months ago and it's only now being reported b/c a couple Mavs employees were asked about it.

Maybe he's just not doing it because there's no fans?
Ol Jock 99
AG
M.C. Swag said:

That doesn't change my guess at all.
M.C. Swag
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

M.C. Swag said:

That doesn't change my guess at all.
...you mean the guess where a 'couple black players' asked him to? B/c what i just said was the opposite of that. As in, Cuban made this decision independently.
M.C. Swag
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

M.C. Swag said:

Fans (limited to employees and player invites i believe) have just been allowed back and the anthem was not played.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Possible, but this is too hot of a political topic to just change for no reason in my opinion.
Saint Pablo
BallerStaf2003 said:

M.C. Swag said:

He said they will do it the rest of the year and I think they plan to have fans at some point.
EconAg18
AG

BallerStaf2003
AG
EconAg18 said:

With only 2 of the 3 you're not gonna win very many games. Hate to say.
EconAg18
AG
Probably why we have a sub .500 record
CampingAg
AG
Fans who actually like America should sing a capella before every game.
We fixed the keg
AG
I saw the news and ventured over here to see what impact this would have.

There really isn't a reason to fight over this. The NBA, just like any other form of entertainment, is ultimately supported and paid for by fans consuming the product. It is clear the majority of the NBA players, staff, and coaches beliefs are antithetical to mine. That was clear when they were more worried about offending China than people like me. This decision is in line with all of the other actions/statements so my dollars and TV continue to be spent elsewhere.
M.C. Swag
AG
cool. thanks for stopping by.
chick79
AG
Another reason the NBA sucks and I never watch anymore. It's a facist organization.
chick79
AG
Another reason the NBA sucks and I never watch anymore. It's a fascist organization.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.