***Official 2020-2021 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

175,023 Views | 2549 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MW03
Saint Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MW03 said:

hph6203 said:

Giannis to Bucks for 5 years. Wasn't likely anyway and this is good for the league.

GREAT for the league. And the mavs don't have to live that pipe dream for a year.
Agreed on both. Happy we don't have to hear about him coming here knowing that wasn't happening.
EconAg18
AG
So who do we think is reasonable for us to target now that Giannis is off the board?
jeffdjohnson
Giannis signing now is the best case. Cuban would have waited around while other opportunities passed the Mavs by. Time to move on.

So with a projected starting lineup of Luka - Richardson - THJ - DFS - Porzingis, I think you could most easily upgrade THJ or DFS here. Ideally, I think having another off-ball wing that can generate their own shot would be nice. If you are trying to upgrade THJ then a guy I would be asking about is Zach Lavine. I think he is underrated and on a rebuilding Bulls team that might be looking for some assets / tanking. If you are trying to grab a more defensive-minded wing and upgrade DFS then I would be looking at Aaron Gordan. Similar to Lavine he is on a rebuilding team that might be interested in some assets / tanking.

As far as assets I think the Mavs are in a better spot than the last few years. I really don't think they have much in the way of bad contracts or bad players. I hate to say it but post-Achilles Powell is probably the most negative guy on their books at this point. So for total assets they have:

Draft: 2015, 2017 1st round picks, pick swaps, and 2nd round picks
Young players: Brunson, Bey, Green, Terry (hell, maybe even Nate Hinton)
Solid NBA players / Good value contracts: DFS, Maxi
Expiring contracts: THJ, James Johnson

I think there are quite a few options to be had here. I don't think any combination listed gets you into the Beal talks (top 20 guys), since you don't have a young star to trade out. However, some combination of this should get you into the conversation for top 50 guys like Lavine and Gordon. It will be interesting to see if the Mavs make an aggressive move near the deadline or punt to the offseason again. My guess is they are going to ride it out until at least the deadline, but I would bet a move is coming.
M.C. Swag
AG
Great post.

Considering how hard the Mavs worked to preserve their cap space for this summer, I hope they're able to use it without giving up assets to upgrade the roster.
hph6203
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

Giannis signing now is the best case. Cuban would have waited around while other opportunities passed the Mavs by. Time to move on.

So with a projected starting lineup of Luka - Richardson - THJ - DFS - Porzingis, I think you could most easily upgrade THJ or DFS here. Ideally, I think having another off-ball wing that can generate their own shot would be nice. If you are trying to upgrade THJ then a guy I would be asking about is Zach Lavine. I think he is underrated and on a rebuilding Bulls team that might be looking for some assets / tanking. If you are trying to grab a more defensive-minded wing and upgrade DFS then I would be looking at Aaron Gordan. Similar to Lavine he is on a rebuilding team that might be interested in some assets / tanking.

As far as assets I think the Mavs are in a better spot than the last few years. I really don't think they have much in the way of bad contracts or bad players. I hate to say it but post-Achilles Powell is probably the most negative guy on their books at this point. So for total assets they have:

I think there are quite a few options to be had here. I don't think any combination listed gets you into the Beal talks (top 20 guys), since you don't have a young star to trade out. However, some combination of this should get you into the conversation for top 50 guys like Lavine and Gordon. It will be interesting to see if the Mavs make an aggressive move near the deadline or punt to the offseason again. My guess is they are going to ride it out until at least the deadline, but I would bet a move is coming.
Justin Anderson and Dennis Smith are already off the team.
COAg15
AG
Cuban is a guest on the latest Bill Simmons Podcast, it's a good listen. Just a heads up
MW03
AG
Kleber is the kind of dude you absolutely need on your rotation to be a championship team.

I'm not saying Kleber is on the no-trade list by any stretch, but I'd be hard pressed to move him. I know he struggled in the bubble, but he was also asked to do an impossible thing guarding Kawhi Leonard. At his size, he's capable of doing that and also pulling assignment on someone like Zion Williamson. He can defend the paint or the wing (to a certain extent), he can score inside and outside, he's cheap, and he's a locker room guy.

Keep Kleber
MW03
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

I think all of our comments are echoed here:

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2020/12/15/22176799/giannis-antetokounmpo-max-extension-milwaukee-bucks-dallas-mavericks-luka-doncic

Quote:

As an NBA fan, you love to see it. This should makes sense to so many Mavericks fans because of the loyalty that Dirk Nowitzki showed this city and organization. I think you should have an extra level of respect for athletes that choose to stay with the organization that first brought them in and do everything they can to bring them championships.

I was, of course, all for Giannis coming to Dallas but that was simply because it was him coming to Dallas. But now that we, Mavs Fans, are free from that pipe dream and I sit back and think about it This is good for the NBA. This is good for the Milwaukee Bucks. This is helpful to the Dallas Mavericks - in the sense that we have more clarity going into a very important 2021 off-season.
M.C. Swag
AG
Starters looked great again (except for Powell). I'm running out of compliments to give JRich. He does everything.

The rookies were...a mess. I really would like to see Terry play next to some of the starters or established bench guys b/c when he's running around with the other rookies, he looks, by far, the worst.

And Luka HAS to stop complaining to the refs. He got T'd up AGAIN in a pre season game for arguing calls. It's literally the most obnoxious thing. I hope he grows out of it b/c it not only makes him look bad, but it's actively hurting the team in transition defense when he's more interested in jabbering at the ref than running back to his assignment.
PooDoo
AG
Maybe LeBron will grow out of it when he turns 40.
M.C. Swag
AG
He's worse than Lebron. Like, no joke, i have never seen another player complain like Luka (and i used to think Tim Duncan would forever hold that crown).
ramblin_ag02
AG
It's annoying when Luka doesn't get the calls that every other star player gets, but it's also annoying when he whines about it.

Does Cuban still send footage of missed calls to the league office after every game?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
M.C. Swag
AG
He shot 9 free throws in 27 min played. Like, he's getting calls.

But literally every single time he takes a shot (make or miss, but especially on a miss), he yells for a foul. And not just like "and-1" like alot of players do. No, he'll stare down the ref and actively cuss them out. It's exasperating. Someone has to talk to him about it b/c if he's behaving like this in meaningless pre-season games, how bad will it be in games that matter?

Not trying to make too big a deal of out it but it just sticks out as the only real stain on an otherwise fantastic pre season.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I wasn't referring to the preseason. Mostly last year in the bubble in regards to not getting calls.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Guitarsoup
AG
Cuban was on the Bill Simmons Podcast and it was really good. Talked a lot about his approach over the years, how things have changed, refs, etc
mavsfan4ever
AG
M.C. Swag said:

He shot 9 free throws in 27 min played. Like, he's getting calls.

But literally every single time he takes a shot (make or miss, but especially on a miss), he yells for a foul. And not just like "and-1" like alot of players do. No, he'll stare down the ref and actively cuss them out. It's exasperating. Someone has to talk to him about it b/c if he's behaving like this in meaningless pre-season games, how bad will it be in games that matter?

Not trying to make too big a deal of out it but it just sticks out as the only real stain on an otherwise fantastic pre season.

100% agree with this. I cringe every game watching Luka ***** at refs after every single shot and not get back on D. Literally every shot where there isn't a foul called. He's the worst in the league at it IMO. And everything else about his game and personality is great and fun and entertaining, which makes it that much more frustrating to watch.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Cuban was on the Bill Simmons Podcast and it was really good. Talked a lot about his approach over the years, how things have changed, refs, etc
Almost done with it.

Cuban said in 2013, they were going after a free agent that didn't work out (Chris Paul?) and they needed to trade from 13 to 18 to open up space on the cap to sign the player. Dallas made the trades to move down to 18, where they planned to take Giannis. He said everyone had like two videos of Giannis and that was it and he was completely unknown. Giannis didn't work out and they took Shane Larkin.

He did say that if they did land Giannis then, they never would have gotten Luka, so it all works out.

Love Cuban for how open he is with all that stuff.
hph6203
AG
Dwight Howard. Really missed out on him, would've been totally worth the money.
MW03
AG
I just wish I could watch a game
PooDoo
AG
Are they only on Spectrum locally?
M.C. Swag
AG
I just subbed to "HeHe Streams" ($25/6weeks). It sounds sketch, but it's pretty legit. Basically operates like league pass with home/away broadcasts for every NBA game. No blackouts.

They have a 4 hr free trial. I'd wait until the next Mavs game and try it out.
fightinags2013
AG
Guess what day it is?? Guess what day it is?! Gamedayyyyy
Saint Pablo
LETS GOOOO LUKA'S MVP YEAR
MW03
AG
Can anyone vouch for Hehestreams? Is this a "visa gift card" and VPN kind of situation, or is it legit?
M.C. Swag
AG
MW03 said:

Can anyone vouch for Hehestreams? Is this a "visa gift card" and VPN kind of situation, or is it legit?
lol see my post like 2 post above
Proposition Joe
You're asking if the website selling pirate streams is "legit"?
MW03
AG
You guys are both right about the ridiculousness of my post for very different reasons
EconAg18
AG
SportSurge has never done me wrong. You can cast it to a TV, or if you have an Xbox or something that has a browser you can access it that way and have it on your TV
True Anomaly
AG
Signed up also for HeHeStreams for the free trial. Clicked a couple games and the feeds are nice and solid. Go to click on the Thunder/Rockets game and a message pops up

"Postponed by the league because James Harden is a butthead"

This guy definitely has earned my money until this whole TV mess is sorted out
dave94
AG
GAMETIME!!!
NukeAg10
AG
Luka looks like he's playing tight and thinking too much. Plus he isn't getting any bounces right now. He'll settle in.
MW03
AG
THJ still hasn't seen a 3 ball he didn't want to take. Maybe things are returning to normal.
NukeAg10
AG
Jackson doesn't sound interested in this game at all.
True Anomaly
AG
MW03 said:

THJ still hasn't seen a 3 ball he didn't want to take. Maybe things are returning to normal.
And Dwight Powell will never get any love from referees
MW03
AG
NukeAg10 said:

Jackson doesn't sound interested in this game at all.

He sounds like a dad taking to his kids while reading the newspaper

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.