***Official 2020-2021 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

174,754 Views | 2549 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MW03
Infection_Ag11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fore Left! said:

The fire Rick talk is moronic. Not to mention, what genius would one propose replacing him with?

Carlisle is a top-3 coach in the league. He'd be out of a job for approximately 18 seconds if we fired him.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Trucker 96
Exactly. Entertaining the thought is idiocy.

Now if we want to debate Donnie, let's talk
mavsfan4ever
AG
I'm not sure what Donnie could have done. He hasn't had any draft picks to work with. And he got Luka so that probably gets him a pass for a while.

Good news is that a win tmr puts all this talk to bed.
awrollins
mavsfan4ever said:

I'm not sure what Donnie could have done. He hasn't had any draft picks to work with. And he got Luka so that probably gets him a pass for a while.

Good news is that a win tmr puts all this talk to bed.

Well Desmond Bane or Saddiq Bey could have really helped us this year....
fightinags2013
AG
Or Maxey. Or Quickley. Even RJ Hampton showed flashes when he got to Orlando.

No guarantee Rick would play any of those guys, including Bane or S Bey, but they at least would have had a chance to play during the 2-3 week period we got rocked by COVID.

I'm not ready to give up on Green, but the early returns aren't great.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea or maybe josh green could have. If bane or bey were in the Mavs we'd never know how good they were bc they wouldn't be playing.
M.C. Swag
AG
If your opinion is that we should fire Rick while excusing Donnie, we just couldn't disagree more.
hph6203
AG
Saying Donnie isn't to blame because he doesn't have draft picks is excusing the problem maker for the problem. He made the KP trade.
ramblin_ag02
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Yea or maybe josh green could have. If bane or bey were in the Mavs we'd never know how good they were bc they wouldn't be playing.

So a quick bit of research shows that Brunson and Finney-Smith both played 20+ min per game as rookies. Kleber played 17 min per game as rookie. So even aside from lottery picks, Carlisle has played rookies. Makes me think these guys just aren't good enough to crack the lineup, and that's on the GM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Trucker 96
hph6203 said:

Saying Donnie isn't to blame because he doesn't have draft picks is excusing the problem maker for the problem. He made the KP trade.

Exactly. Poor Donnie, someone took all of his picks. Whodunnit? Was it the professor in the library with the candlestick?

I'm still good with the KP gamble. But their playoff win drought is entirely on Donnie's post-2011 patchwork roster strategy an inability to hit on pretty much anything in the draft for a very long stretch
Trucker 96
I think it's been established pretty well that, young or old, if Rick doesn't play you, it means you pretty much suck. Roddy Beaubois is out there wrapping up a Turkish HOF career
M.C. Swag
AG
Fore Left! said:

I think it's been established pretty well that, young or old, if Rick doesn't play you, it means you pretty much suck. Roddy Beaubois is out there wrapping up a Turkish HOF career

Exactly. Point to all the players the mavs have drafted and let go that went on to have successful careers..I'll be waiting.
hph6203
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Fore Left! said:

Exactly. Point to all the players the mavs have drafted and let go that went on to have successful careers..I'll be waiting.
Now point to all the guys that had career years or re-kindled their careers under Rick.
M.C. Swag
AG
hph6203 said:

M.C. Swag said:

Fore Left! said:

Now point to all the guys that had career years or re-kindled their careers under Rick.

Ding ding. I'm not saying Rick is above criticism, he is far from perfect, but he's a damn good coach. And I haven't seen a single person suggest who should replace him.
mavsfan4ever
AG
M.C. Swag said:

If your opinion is that we should fire Rick while excusing Donnie, we just couldn't disagree more.

Where have I ever said we should fire Rick? I swear all of the rick defenders are making up an argument that I'm not making. Criticizing Rick for mistakes he makes doesn't mean I want him fired. It's not either he's fired or he does no wrong. There is a middle ground where he's great but makes mistakes that can be pointed out.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Fore Left! said:

hph6203 said:

Exactly. Poor Donnie, someone took all of his picks. Whodunnit? Was it the professor in the library with the candlestick?

I'm still good with the KP gamble. But their playoff win drought is entirely on Donnie's post-2011 patchwork roster strategy an inability to hit on pretty much anything in the draft for a very long stretch

The KP gamble was great. For what we gave up it was a great trade if we only got hardaway and no KP. And obviously the pick we gave up for Luka was worth it. I'm not saying Donnie has been great but he's done decent with what he's had to work with. Traded for Luka, traded for KP and hardaway, traded for Powell, drafted Brunson, found maxi and Dorian, etc. Considering free agents don't want to come here and we rarely have lottery picks, I think he's built a decent roster.

Last draft seems to be a big miss so far which is very unfortunate. That was probably our most important draft in a long time, especially with the picks we have traded away.
Grapesoda2525
Donnie does the same thing every time. Hit up some eastern conference team who is down on their luck, offer them a poo poo platter of players who the mavs don't like and sweeten the deal with draft picks.

They say he really wanted to draft giannis really bad and Cuban over ruled him. I think Cuban is the guy making all the weird crazy moves and Donnie is just a yes man. I wish we had an organization that took drafting and development seriously, but that's just not the reality of things.
hph6203
AG
How many championships have been won by teams that drafted and developed in the last 20 years? Spurs who got incredibly lucky with two draft picks, and the Warriors who got incredibly lucky with two draft picks. Beyond that?

Lakers built a championship team through trades and free agency.
Detroit built a championship team through trades and free agency.
Boston built a championship team through trades and free agency.
Lakers built a championship team through trades.
Mavericks built a championship team through trades.
Heat built a championship team through trades.
Cavs built a championship team through trades and free agency.
Raptors built a championship team through trades.
Lakers built a championship through trades and free agency.

Exactly 7 championships were won primarily by drafting out of the last 20, and they took those teams drafting all-stars in the second round to pull it off, which is not the norm. That's at best, because the Warriors won 2 after signing KD in free agency. Building through the draft is a fairy tale perpetuated by a Spurs team that won 4 championships in the last 20 years after drafting two all-stars at 28 or lower. In other words, they got lucky.

As an aside, playing Brunson more minutes is a recipe for failure. That means you're either sitting Hardaway or playing Brunson with Luka and Hardaway, which is a defensive nightmare for the Mavericks. Brunson has a good +/- because he plays when Luka and Kawhi are off the floor. Hardaway is a much better asset on the floor than Brunson.
EllisCoAg
AG
Have seen it mentioned, but the two FT Brunson missed at the end of the 3rd, I thought were a huge miss opportunity to extend the lead.
M.C. Swag
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

M.C. Swag said:

Where have I ever said we should fire Rick? I swear all of the rick defenders are making up an argument that I'm not making. Criticizing Rick for mistakes he makes doesn't mean I want him fired. It's not either he's fired or he does no wrong. There is a middle ground where he's great but makes mistakes that can be pointed out.

You've been quick to defend KP and Donnie while also laying blame on Rick. Apologies if I've misread your underlying intent.

Edit: it's also hilarious that we both typed the exact same thing about criticizing Rick. Ive acknowledged legit gripes with his coaching. I just cannot stand the "fire Rick" crowd. I assumed you were amongst them.
EconAg18
AG
Mark Cuban liked this tweet, and you can go to his likes yourself and see it. Stirring the pot?

mavsfan4ever
AG
I agree completely with that tweet. That's been my point all along to the KP bashers. I feel like I'm over-defending him (bc I agree he hasn't been that good lately even before the playoffs). But what is he supposed to do? He's being told to literally stand in the corner every possession to create spacing. And do nothing else on offense. And he goes long stretches without even touching the ball (the hardline even did a segment on this a couple days ago). That's not on him, that's just the game plan. And Luka doesn't normally even look his way when his defender helps off. I'm not sure if that's bc they have some personal issues or if it's lack of trust in him or what.

And I agree he has been good on defense. We would not have won game 5 without his defense.

I personally think Carlisle should use him in other ways. Some people, including Rick, think this is the best way to use him this series. Hell, maybe it is, bc there is merit to spacing the floor with him and just letting Luka operate. We've been getting good looks. But you can't simultaneously praise Carlisle for the game plan and also ***** about KP. He's following the game plan and he isn't personally going to put up big numbers when his role is to stand in the corner and not touch the ball.
Seven Costanza
AG
Has there ever been a 7 game series in which the home team lost every game?
TheCougarHunter
AG
You think our highest paid player should be standing in the corner?

KP hasn't made a play all series.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Has there ever been a 7 game series in which the home team lost every game?

No

The previous record for home losses in a series was 5 games
awinlonghorn
That's on carlisle. Hard to make plays when you are averaging 8 shots a game. He should be shooting it 20 times a game.

Heck, boban is getting more shots than KP.
hph6203
AG
Hard to get shots for a guy that passes out of his opportunities too.
BallerStaf2003
AG

Ugh. Scott foster is officiating today. We can expect more of the same and maybe a dramatic overreaching tech on luka.
PatAg
AG
awinlonghorn said:

That's on carlisle. Hard to make plays when you are averaging 8 shots a game. He should be shooting it 20 times a game.

Heck, boban is getting more shots than KP.
This could not be more wrong. He's being used the way he is because he bricks every shot he takes, or takes to long to decide what to do and turns the ball over. He can't move off the ball like he used to, and he lumbers around instead of glides around.
mavsfan4ever
AG
TheCougarHunter said:

You think our highest paid player should be standing in the corner?

KP hasn't made a play all series.

No I don't. But thats clearly what Rick is telling him to do and they've admitted as much in the press conferences. He can't make a play when he goes minutes without touching the ball.

And our offense has gotten good looks. So even though I don't love the strategy there is at least an argument to be made that it has worked. My only point was for people to quit complaining about KP when he's following the coach's game plan.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Both teams crazy hot to start the game
Spaceship
AG
Luka is such a magician
ramblin_ag02
AG
This game is great so far. Everyone came to play and Luka just played one of the best 1st quarters I've ever seen.

Obligatory ref gripe: we can't buy a shooting foul. Which is blatant compared to the Clippers last game
Infection_Ag11
AG
The biggest problem is the Clippers have two guys who get he star treatment from the refs, and we have 1 star who really doesn't. The Clippers also are allowed to play with a different level of physicality on defense because of their reputation.
BallerStaf2003
AG
I've never in my life seen a player in a game 7 score 19 points in the first quarter, smiling, laughing at himself when he air balls, and just be so confident in himself.

And Luka is 22 years old.

We are witnessing someone that could be a top 5 player all time. He is that special.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.