***Official 2020-2021 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

174,953 Views | 2549 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MW03
awrollins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1 pick away... F Memphis
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2021_totals.html#totals_stats::fg3_pct

^qualified shooters only (no idea why)
Deni is listed on that in 10th place with fewer 3s attempted than Caruso.

Caruso is 19/36 in 16 games, so not a tiny sample.
M.C. Swag
AG
lol i didnt code the website
jeffdjohnson
Defensively they are tough to judge because all of their best defenders got COVID. I would say that is incomplete.

Offensively I don't think swapping Seth for JRich is the real reason the Mavs have dropped from the #1 most efficient unit last year to where they are now. They just have too many players who are shooting below their career averages right now. JRich, KP and Luka are all below 30% currently on high volume. DFS has regressed back to a below average NBA shooter at 32%. Even James Johnson is taking almost 3 attempts per game at below 30% due to COVID player availability. That also isn't even discussing guys like Iwundu and Green who were below 20% when they were forced into action. Seth Curry isn't fixing all of that. What you need is half your team to just hit their own career averages (let alone NBA league average).

Eye test only, but I think the Mavs are generating the same quality of looks as last year when Luka is on the court. It is just a brick fest right now which is particularly frustrating considering how wide open many of these misses are. There is no trade you can make to fix this. Either half the roster gets their **** together and hits wide open shots at a league average clip or the Mavs go down in flames. I really don't know what is going to happen in February, I would believe anything from them being mentally ****ed and the bottom dropping out to them hitting shots at a respectable clip and going on a winning streak.

This team has more flaws that I thought coming into the season but there is also no reason why they should statistically shoot at this rate considering their shot quality. I would guess that things revert to the mean (in a positive direction) and the Mavs go on a February win streak back to .500 if they aren't mentally fragile.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Mavs have had the toughest SOS out of all the teams in the league to date.
MW03
AG
Took the dive on Hehe. Once I figured out how to sideload the beta apps on the fire stick and android tv, it's been smooth sailing.

Felt more comfortable when you could buy membership with amazon gift cards, too. Good decision for me, and much appreciated to whoever mentioned it on here.
MW03
AG
Lots of effort tonight. Team already looks better.
awinlonghorn
Okay, can anyone tell my why KP looks so bad. it's like he has lost all of his confidence. He shoots 35ft threes but absolutely lost touch on anything inside the three.

he is not a weapon in any way at all right now.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Kristaps is such a liability on defense. He's just lost on an island over and over again.
awrollins
Poorly executed last play.
MW03
AG
****!
awinlonghorn
h##$##$

digging a hole that is going to be hard to climb out of in the west...

ryanhnc10
AG
Time to get rid of Carlisle?
BallerStaf2003
AG
That was a gut punch.
PatAg
AG
awinlonghorn said:

Okay, can anyone tell my why KP looks so bad. it's like he has lost all of his confidence. He shoots 35ft threes but absolutely lost touch on anything inside the three.

he is not a weapon in any way at all right now.
Scored 10 pts in the 4th
awinlonghorn
we are 2-9 with KP and Luka both playing...
PatAg
AG
awrollins said:

What are you expecting with 1.5 seconds left? You got a relatively decent shot for Luka

The real question is, they were not in the bonus with 10 seconds left on their last possession. Why not use that foul before Paul makes the pass? Make them start over with 5ish seconds left.
PatAg
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

Defensively they are tough to judge because all of their best defenders got COVID. I would say that is incomplete.

Offensively I don't think swapping Seth for JRich is the real reason the Mavs have dropped from the #1 most efficient unit last year to where they are now. They just have too many players who are shooting below their career averages right now. JRich, KP and Luka are all below 30% currently on high volume. DFS has regressed back to a below average NBA shooter at 32%. Even James Johnson is taking almost 3 attempts per game at below 30% due to COVID player availability. That also isn't even discussing guys like Iwundu and Green who were below 20% when they were forced into action. Seth Curry isn't fixing all of that. What you need is half your team to just hit their own career averages (let alone NBA league average).

Eye test only, but I think the Mavs are generating the same quality of looks as last year when Luka is on the court. It is just a brick fest right now which is particularly frustrating considering how wide open many of these misses are. There is no trade you can make to fix this. Either half the roster gets their **** together and hits wide open shots at a league average clip or the Mavs go down in flames. I really don't know what is going to happen in February, I would believe anything from them being mentally ****ed and the bottom dropping out to them hitting shots at a respectable clip and going on a winning streak.

This team has more flaws that I thought coming into the season but there is also no reason why they should statistically shoot at this rate considering their shot quality. I would guess that things revert to the mean (in a positive direction) and the Mavs go on a February win streak back to .500 if they aren't mentally fragile.
PatAg
AG
I wonder if our front office wanted to actually move on from Seth in an attempt to improve defense, or if he wanted to get paid again and we didnt think he was worth the dollar amount.
awrollins
PatAg said:

awrollins said:

What are you expecting with 1.5 seconds left? You got a relatively decent shot for Luka

The real question is, they were not in the bonus with 10 seconds left on their last possession. Why not use that foul before Paul makes the pass? Make them start over with 5ish seconds left.

Maybe something like that buzzer beater shot that Jokic had with about the same amount of time when he hit that midrange against us. We could draw up the same thing for KP. I don't know, it just seems like a fadeaway 30 footer wasn't a good look. But who knows, leaving Booker open for three was what killed us.
Ol Jock 99
AG

M.C. Swag
AG
Go away
PatAg
AG
PatAg said:

awrollins said:

I assumed it was something like that. I like a lot of the guys on this team, but I'm assuming this roster looks a lot different next year. Don't think there is much we can do to upgrade during the season.
M.C. Swag
AG
PatAg said:

I wonder if our front office wanted to actually move on from Seth in an attempt to improve defense, or if he wanted to get paid again and we didnt think he was worth the dollar amount.
He just signed an extension with the Mavs last year.

Listen, everyone is trying to assign the offensive woes to the loss of Seth Curry because it's the most obvious difference from last year. If you dive into the numbers, the Mavs are simply missing their open shots below EVERY SINGLE PLAYERS average. Even if you compare the lineups w/o Curry last year to the same lineups this year, there's a chasm of difference.

DFS, THJ, JRich, and Luka are all shooting well BELOW their own career averages. I'll give luka a pass b/c he's literally doing everything else.

But DFS, THJ and JRich MUST be better. Porzingis MUST be better.

How much of this is due to the loss of Silas? I think there's definitely some impact, but the players play. Every player outside of Luka has regressed beyond explanation.
South Platte
This team is garbage but I trust Cuban to make the right call on Carlisle, whatever that is. Donnie's been good at assembling talent when he could.

We need a 3rd big time player and I was hoping this season could demonstrate how close we were to luring the last big piece.

I seriously wonder if we will ever beat Phoenix again. Losing to these jokers every game is past ridiculous. They are a terrible franchise.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

We need a 3rd big time player and I was hoping this season could demonstrate how close we were to luring the last big piece.

Unless KP improves big time, you could argue we need 2. Bad knees and 7'3" aren't a good combo.
BallerStaf2003
AG
If trae young goes off tonight and we lose....

I'm going to be mad. Lol
awrollins
Richardson's off ball defense is a thing of beauty.
dave94
AG
Any sign of the crazy blonde chick who got into it with Lebron?
M.C. Swag
AG
Not a perfect qtr and the rebounding still sucks but the defensive effort is there!
Ol Jock 99
AG
Is 18% from 3 bad?
EconAg18
AG
It's actually pretty redass sadly
dave94
AG
Mavs playing hard down the stretch
Ol Jock 99
AG
Never a doubt
M.C. Swag
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.