***Official 2020-2021 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

174,984 Views | 2549 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MW03
Saint Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TheCougarHunter said:

Why? He straight up out-played Doncic
Good for him. His team is dramatically better. He gets every single ****ing call. The refs couldn't be bothered to call an offensive foul on him despite the fact he pushes off on every single
****ing possession. Swap him and Luka and the clippers would've swept.
TexasAggiesWin
S
Well, damn.
jtstanley4621
AG
Was also somewhat puzzled why they didn't go back to having Boban out there. They were probably their most efficient tonight when he was out there
mncag
Did they lose this series may be time for Carlisle to go.
the Clippers may be better but the Mavericks simply choked down the stretch and did not make plays or smart plays. Even though the officiating was bad the Mavericks control their destiny
PatAg
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

yukmonkey said:

KP and the bench had 21 pts combined. Disgusting.

Effing terrible. Tells you all you need to know. Even though Luka didn't really have it from a scoring standpoint tonight he put guys in position to make shots and they just couldn't at all
Luka kind of no showed the 2nd half, was way too passive. If it werent for the garbage time points, Im pretty sure he had only 5 pts in the 2nd half.
Infection_Ag11
AG
PatAg said:

jtstanley4621 said:

yukmonkey said:

KP and the bench had 21 pts combined. Disgusting.

Effing terrible. Tells you all you need to know. Even though Luka didn't really have it from a scoring standpoint tonight he put guys in position to make shots and they just couldn't at all
Luka kind of no showed the 2nd half, was way too passive. If it werent for the garbage time points, Im pretty sure he had only 5 pts in the 2nd half.

The Clippers in desperation said screw it, we're gonna manhandle him until they start calling it consistently. And they never did.

He was getting hooked, hip checked and hand checked on every switch and every drive. If you let guys as big and strong as PG, MM and Kwahi do that nobody is going to have a good night.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jtstanley4621
AG
Not trying to defend him, I totally agree he did not have it from a scoring standpoint. Just frustrating that literally NOBODY else could make a shot down the stretch whatsoever
Southlake
Mavs just quit with 3 minutes left. Very strange.
94chem
jtstanley4621 said:

Was also somewhat puzzled why they didn't go back to having Boban out there. They were probably their most efficient tonight when he was out there

Not being paid millions, but when I watch the Mavs, the best 5 players include Luka, Hardaway, Brunson, and Porzingis. I don't know how you play the first 42 minutes, but at the end, those 4 guys need to be on the court. Anybody remember when Nash and Van Exel closed every game?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
Basically went full-SEC DB and dared the refs to call something.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
hph6203
AG
mncag said:

the Clippers may be better but the Mavericks simply choked down the stretch and did not make plays or smart plays. Even though the officiating was bad the Mavericks control their destiny
The only reason this is even a series is because Carlisle is a far superior coach to Lue and Luka is the best player on the court in 4 of the 6 games so far.
BallerStaf2003
AG
TheCougarHunter said:

Why? He straight up out-played Doncic

Dumb troll comment. The level of physicality the clippers get away with on defense is obscene. Kawhi gets every call meanwhile.
Southlake
Well, the Mavs did nothing to stop Leonard in the last 5 minutes when everyone knew he was going to shoot. Shoulda ran a double at him at least, but no defensive adjustment whatsoever. At least someone better on D then Luca?

Nope. RC did nothing.

Still so strange to get to 3 minutes and the Mavs just shifted to low gear.
BallerStaf2003
AG
So true man. He stopped even going to the hole bc the refs wouldn't call anything. I'm so pissed off.
jtstanley4621
AG
94chem said:

jtstanley4621 said:

Not being paid millions, but when I watch the Mavs, the best 5 players include Luka, Hardaway, Brunson, and Porzingis. I don't know how you play the first 42 minutes, but at the end, those 4 guys need to be on the court. Anybody remember when Nash and Van Exel closed every game?

Not sure what version of KP you're watching this series. Boban outscored and outrebounded him in a little bit more than half the playing time.
BallerStaf2003
AG
I mean seriously wtf was this call? A MIDDLE SCHOOL REF KNOWS WHO THIS IS OUT ON.

Saint Pablo
NBA has got to protect their boys. Need that LA team.
Scotty Flamingo
Why didn't Rick challenge that foul on Bobi?
hph6203
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

I mean seriously wtf was this call? A MIDDLE SCHOOL REF KNOWS WHO THIS IS OUT ON.

In case anyone thinks Kleber stepped out. Nope.

One of the worst calls I've ever seen by an NBA ref.

dave94
AG
mncag said:

That's a terrible, horrible take. Carlisle is outcoaching Luu to the effing moon. He's why we're even in a game 7
dave94
AG
I love Bobi but he definitely needed to come out when he did. He's a great post presence but cannot keep up with players on the switch
Trucker 96
Completely sick of watching Kawhi push and hook his way to the basket and the whistle is only blown if a Mav breathes on him. Meanwhile, the Mavs get manhandled at the other end and nothing. ****ing Dwayne Wade 2006 flashbacks in this series
PatAg
AG
Yes, they are getting away with fouling Luka, but I think he was choosing to be too passive and create for others. He's done it all series, but this game was ripe for the taking.
dont know if he is just playing too much in the first 3 quarters, and doesnt have the energy to score the whole 4th, or if its a conscsious decision.
fightinags2013
AG
Kawhi is the best player in the league when the playoffs roll around because as unbelievable as he is offensively he is even better defensively. You can barley dribble near the guy. Perfect rotations, perfect timing when coming to double. The guy is just a machine.
dave94
AG
Luka is definitely tired by the 4th. He's involved in every possession and also getting hammered evveytime he drives the ball.

Refs gotta start giving him the superstar treatment that Kawhi and ****ing Paul George gets.
Scotty Flamingo
dave94 said:

mncag said:

That's a terrible, horrible take. Carlisle is outcoaching Luu to the effing moon. He's why we're even in a game 7

He pockets challenges and called a stupid ass time out when we had momentum. I'm tired of giving Rick a pass for 2011.
awinlonghorn
Not being able to figure out how to get Kp shots is a bad enough coaching job as is

Not doubling kawhi is another

Stop giving Rick a pass. Yes, Donnie needs to go also. He wasted dirks career from 2012.
Grapesoda2525
Everyone is seeing why the clippers are such a bad matchup for the mavs.

We have nobody who can guard Leonard and they have several guys who can stop KP. The only reason we're in this damn series is luka and Carlisle. Doesn't look good for the good guys tho. 1 more sim soils spbdp.
M.C. Swag
AG
awinlonghorn said:

Not being able to figure out how to get Kp shots is a bad enough coaching job as is

Not doubling kawhi is another

Stop giving Rick a pass. Yes, Donnie needs to go also. He wasted dirks career from 2012.

KP can't create his own shot or dribble drive through contact. What are you supposed to do with a player like that? Waste 10 possessions on his turnaround fadeaways?

We doubled Kawhi and he immediately rotated the ball to a wide open Reggie Jackson who drilled two consecutive the 3s.

What's funny about you "fire rick" people is that you're no where to be seen until a Mavs loss. Rick definitely ducked up this game when he took that timeout after we took the lead and I think he played Boban too much. But we're in GAME 7 of a series against an opponent that is vastly more talented.

Rick didn't tell Kleber to score 0 pts. He didn't scheme Doe Doe to go 9/30 (or whatever it is) from 3 since game 1. He didn't steal Jalen Brunsons ability or turn JRich into a pumpkin. Even Luka has some blame here. Late in the 4th, it was a 7 pt game, he got a switch on Batum, crossed him over to the ground, and instead of taking a WIDE OPEN 3 at the top of the key, he passed it to a covered KP (who luckily did make the right pass to THJ but then THJ bricked it). My point is, that shot belongs to Luka. He should have seized the moment and didn't. And since he got this 9 pts in garbage time, people are gonna look at his box score and think he was good when the truth is, he was not.

So continue to blame Rick for every role player ****ting the bed if you want but from now on, I want any "fire Rick" person to provide a coaching replacement who would be better and explain why.

awinlonghorn
At some point Rick is supposed to coach a less talented team to beat a more talented team. Heck, Nellie did it against us in 2007.

Rick hasn't won a series since 2011. All you Rick is untouchable people need to see that?

Yes, Luka was passive. Yes, dfs went cold. Yes Thj went cold. KP can't even get a open look??? When kawhi passes it out the double to Jackson we can't even do ther to KP? That's a coaching issue.

Yes our role played didn't show up in the fourth but Rick also mismanaged minutes. He is a great coach but sometimes a new voice is needed. Ans why not give green a run over Richardson ??
Phat32
AG
Supporting players missed wide open shots. When that happens, the Clippers know they can double Luka. Game over.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Jalen was +9 in 15 minutes. For some inexcusable reason, Carlisle has refused to play him this series. He should be getting big minutes.

And KP not getting shots is on Carlisle. Maybe we don't want him to get many shots this series and I'm fine with that if it opens everything up for other people. But he's literally just standing at the 3 point line in order to draw defenders away from Luka. That's all he does every possession. And you can tell from the press conferences that that's his job and is the game plan. I get doing that some possessions. But doing that every possession is a joke. The people *****ing about KP need to stop bc he's literally following the game plan and just standing at the 3 point line. And even doing that Luka never passes him the ball when he has some space. I feel like I'm over-defending KP but geez it's obvious from watching the game and from the press conferences that they have told him to just stand out there in the corner.

And people act like we are an 8 seed playing a 1 seed and should praise Carlisle for just getting to game 7. It's a 4/5 matchup. And if Covid didn't hit us hard then we likely would've been better than a 5 seed. The goal this year was to win a playoff series. Anything less than that will be a disappointment. That's on everyone, players, front office and Carlisle.

I love Carlisle but the people who act like you can't criticize him are a little ridiculous in my opinion.

The refs were ridiculous last night and it definitely affected Luka's game. I expect more of the same in game 7 but hopefully I'm wrong.

I actually looked into flying out for the game Sunday with a couple of buddies. But then I remembered it's California, and I have no desire to go there again anytime soon.
hph6203
AG
Name one of those playoff series where you think the Mavericks were remotely as talented as the other team and then you can blame it primarily on coaching.

They played the Thunder with Westbrook and KD. That team lost in the NBA finals. Mavericks got swept.
They played the Spurs. Series went to 7 games. That team won the NBA finals.
They played the Rockets with James Harden. Dirk getting older and wasn't even our leading scorer that season (17.3 ppg). They lost 1-4 in the series. Houston lost to the Warriors in the WCF 1-4.
They played the Thunder with KD and Westbrook again, lost 1-4, and the Thunder lost to the Warriors in the WCF 3-4.

So Rick lost to teams in the playoffs that were all in the final 4 at least. One of them won the title series, one lost.

Regardless, Cuban is not firing Rick. I'd be surprised if he ever does.
Trucker 96
The fire Rick talk is moronic. Not to mention, what genius would one propose replacing him with?
TheCougarHunter
AG
dave94 said:

mncag said:

Lol

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.