***Official 2020-2021 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

175,038 Views | 2549 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MW03
jeffdjohnson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If the Mavs want to upgrade then it has to be the DFS slot I think. I love the guy but he is probably a bottom 10 starting SF in the NBA. I would love him off the bench as a 7th man. He would also be fine as a starter if the Maxi slot had more of a playmaker in it. I just don't think the Mavs can have both Maxi and DFS as spot up only guys. Not to mention that KP is mostly a floor spacer, limited playmaker as well. It oddly puts a lot of pressure on Josh Richardson as the only other secondary playmaker. I don't think it is a coincidence that the Mavs win if he has a good game.

Aaron Gordon would be great as an upgrade over DFS. John Collins would be great as an upgrade over Maxi as well, but I think when you factor in the cost and fit that going after a SF would be the better move. I also think AG is unique in that he could serve as a pick and roll, rim running SF with his crazy athleticism. He can also handle the ball a little and make a play in a secondary role. Great fit for Dallas, I just don't know if the Mavs have the best offer.

I am pretty ambivalent about Drummond. If they can get him for Johnson + Powell + 2nds then I do it. I would be mostly excited in that deal to get off the Powell contract and free up more cap space this summer. Not sure why Cleveland does it though. I just can't see a Drummond / KP front court defending anything. It would be nothing but mismatch hunting and teams bombing the Mavs with wide open 3 pointers all game.

I feel like the Mavs should really do something with that James Johnson contract, even if it isn't a big move. At this point I kind of expect it to be more incremental like a Fournier type move.
M.C. Swag
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

I am pretty ambivalent about Drummond. If they can get him for Johnson + Powell + 2nds then I do it. I would be mostly excited in that deal to get off the Powell contract and free up more cap space this summer. Not sure why Cleveland does it though. I just can't see a Drummond / KP front court defending anything. It would be nothing but mismatch hunting and teams bombing the Mavs with wide open 3 pointers all game.

I feel like the Mavs should really do something with that James Johnson contract, even if it isn't a big move. At this point I kind of expect it to be more incremental like a Fournier type move.
Reports are that Cleveland is only looking for 2nd rd pick compensation for Drummond. Whether those are accurate, who knows, but if that's all it would cost, there's really nothing to lose in paying that low price.

I'd LOVE to have Fournier. Wouldn't do anything for our defense, but he'd definitely alleviate the playmaking responsibilities for Luka/JRich/Brunson (whichever unit he would slide into) without sacrificing any of the spacing. I think he's also gettable for Johnson+2nd or two.
jeffdjohnson
M.C. Swag said:

jeffdjohnson said:

Reports are that Cleveland is only looking for 2nd rd pick compensation for Drummond. Whether those are accurate, who knows, but if that's all it would cost, there's really nothing to lose in paying that low price.

I'd LOVE to have Fournier. Wouldn't do anything for our defense, but he'd definitely alleviate the playmaking responsibilities for Luka/JRich/Brunson (whichever unit he would slide into) without sacrificing any of the spacing. I think he's also gettable for Johnson+2nd or two.

I meant more that I don't know why Cleveland would dump expiring Drummond for multiple years of post-Achilles Dwight Powell. If it only cost the Mavs 2nd round picks to move off that contract then it is a win, even if I don't care much for Drummond.
MW03
AG
https://sports.yahoo.com/hoopla-with-haynes-aaron-gordon-wont-be-traded-to-rockets-kings-make-marvin-bagley-iii-available-171248310.html

Quote:

John Collins

While in the midst of a galvanizing eight-game winning streak led by interim head coach Nate McMillan, the Atlanta Hawks are becoming increasingly reluctant to move their starting power forward by the March 25 trade deadline, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Furthermore, the Hawks haven't been overly thrilled with the offerings. For instance, the Dallas Mavericks proposed a package featuring sharpshooter Maxi Kleber, sources said.

Collins, 23, has been a central figure to the miraculous turnaround the Hawks are experiencing and tinkering with the chemistry at this juncture is risky. Team ownership wants wins, and that's what's taking place.

M.C. Swag
AG
True. His contract is an anchor but it's not like Cleveland is going anywhere competitively and Dwight has a favorable reputation in the league. It's possible they wouldn't mind 2 more years of Powell @ 11m/yr (in which he will be an expiring asset after 1 year). Who knows.
gigem1223
Moved up to the 7 seed
mavsfan4ever
AG
I'd still like to just sit tight, but if we make a trade I'd much rather get Holmes than Drummond. Some rumors floating around that we are somewhat interested in him.
awrollins
Well this is boring.
MW03
AG

You're trying to tell me Dallas couldn't have made that deal?
EconAg18
AG
This is why

M.C. Swag
AG
Portland and Denver got better.
EconAg18
AG
Stop me if you've heard this before, but the Thunder have also acquired more future draft picks. Can't wait for the 2026 draft when they have all 60 picks.
EconAg18
AG
jeffdjohnson
Gordon was the only one I was really intrigued by. I wonder what the Mavs offer was. Denver went with Harris + Their 2020 first round pick + a 2025 first round pick. Seems like the Mavs could have done something similar with Johnson + Green + 2025. Not sure what else they would have needed to add in order to trump it.

At this point unless they can reroute OPJ for Johnson + Powell + ??? then I would probably sit tight. Drummond and Oladipo are fun names, but seem like bad fits. I would just stay away.
awrollins

LETS GOOOOO!!!!!
EconAg18
AG
Saint Pablo
Pvilleaggie
Rondo to the clippers...in case you needed another reason to hate them
Saint Pablo
Full deal.
M.C. Swag
AG
Saint Pablo said:

Full deal.
Totally reasonable deal. Small upside, no downside. Perfect margin move that the Mavs have been incapable of doing for a while.
Saint Pablo
Agreed. Confused where the Trey Lyles thing came from.
EconAg18
AG
EuroMavs
EconAg18
AG
Spurs dropped out of the deal moments before the deadline and it had to be reworked on the fly
Carlo4
AG
EconAg18 said:

Thank goodness basketball is expanding the court and adding an extra 6 positions in 3 years...oh wait...

With that firepower, they could basically trade for 5 all stars and a few position players and have a normal amount of draft picks.
True Anomaly
AG
Love the deal
Carlo4
AG
Did not realize JJ was 36.... we just love our JJs don't we?
M.C. Swag
AG

Saint Pablo
lame
Saint Pablo
Really cool when our 22 year old superstar is resting when we are only 2.5 games out of the ten seed!
True Anomaly
AG
Saint Pablo said:

Really cool when our 22 year old superstar is resting when we are only 2.5 games out of the ten seed!
I ****ing hate Harden....but will always give him credit for not taking games off (at least prior to this season when he decided he hated the Rockets)
M.C. Swag
AG
True Anomaly said:

Saint Pablo said:

I ****ing hate Harden....but will always give him credit for not taking games off (at least prior to this season when he decided he hated the Rockets)
I'd be shocked if this was a luka decision
Ol Jock 99
AG
Odds moved from -4.5 to +1.
Saint Pablo
M.C. Swag said:

True Anomaly said:

Saint Pablo said:

I would highly doubt he had no say in the matter. Superstars can ***** their way off a team, but can't force their way into a game?
M.C. Swag
AG
Saint Pablo said:

M.C. Swag said:

True Anomaly said:

Saint Pablo said:

I would highly doubt he had no say in the matter. Superstars can ***** their way off a team, but can't force their way into a game?
Like, obviously he could prolly 'override' anyone, but i truly believe he's complying with training staff/front office. I don't think Rick or Luka are asking for rest.
Saint Pablo
M.C. Swag said:

Saint Pablo said:

M.C. Swag said:

True Anomaly said:

Saint Pablo said:

Like, obviously he could prolly 'override' anyone, but i truly believe he's complying with training staff/front office. I don't think Rick or Luka are asking for rest.
True true.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.