***Official 2020-2021 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

172,197 Views | 2549 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MW03
Proposition Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Need 2 stops.
Proposition Joe
Dagger
Carlo4
AG
Ok time to bring in kleber and start a fight with Morriss
mncag
MookieBlaylock said:

Is the goal of the defense to give up wide open 3 point shots?

A little bit of that is on coach. I've never seen more guys shoot open threes texags posters could make those shots
bigcat22
AG
Infection_Ag11
AG
No call on the backcourt?

K?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BallerStaf2003
AG

Can you imagine saying anything like this about a black player? It pisses me off.
Carlo4
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

No call on the backcourt?

K?

Seriously what in the hell is this garbage
BallerStaf2003
AG
Totally agree. They haven't given luka the respect he deserves and it has really shown this series. It definitely tilted the series in their favor.

I am hopeful this is the last year he is treated like this
Carlo4
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

Can you imagine saying anything like this about a black player? It pisses me off.

Yeah Marc Jackson felt really uncomfortable with that.
mavsfan4ever
AG
No he didn't. Marc Jackson just kept trying to say he wasn't quick.
Carlo4
AG
Agree to disagree. He paused and went uhh for a bit before going back to the same stuff.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Good

Get your moneys worth
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
awinlonghorn
We need a new voice in Dallas. RC is a great coach, but sometimes a new voice is needed to go forward.

Has happened with every team except the spurs and the heat.
Stone44
AG
Leonard cuts their hearts out...again. Mavs have always been soft. Tough to win first 2 games on the road in a 7 game series and still lose. Cuban is such a ******. I wish he would sell this team.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Stone44 said:

Leonard cuts their hearts out...again. Mavs have always been soft. Tough to win first 2 games on the road in a 7 game series and still lose. Cuban is such a ******. I wish he would sell this team.

Dude, take a seat.
Carlo4
AG
Luka with 46 and 14 in a game 7. Get some better guys around him!
Phat32
AG
Luka did everything he could and rest of team let him down.
South Platte
Solid effort by our guys. Just weren't good enough most of the year and we played like it this series. Defective roster, but we aren't that far off.

But until we get one of the key members in the black fraternity of nba superstars we'll never take the next step. Somebody has to cave and sign with us.
mavsfan4ever
AG
We both may be right. He may have been a little uncomfortable at the start. But then he just kept hammering home how Luka was strong and not quick which is ridiculous.
Carlo4
AG
Why not both
awinlonghorn
or a trade actually works out for us.

Rondo failed
KP looks like its a fail.

Our luck has to turn around some time...
PatAg
AG
Just need to get better versions of the players we have on the roster. I dont know that anyone is untouchable other than Luka.
hph6203
AG
Need a secondary ball handler/creator that's capable of hitting an open 3 off ball. Brunson isn't good enough to be the primary guy in that role. He just doesn't make great decisions driving to the basket, he either gets the layup or it's a horrible end to the possession. That has value, but the Mavs need more than that.
PatAg
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

Stone44 said:

Dude, take a seat.
He's not an actual fan
Infection_Ag11
AG
They can't do anything with KP for at least two years, and like I said before his absence in this series was largely a product of matchups and scheme. He's a 20/10 guy in most series he'll be involved in going forward.

They need at least one more D and 3 guy and one more guy who can create his own shot.
South Platte
Infection_Ag11 said:

They can't do anything with KP for at least two years, and like I said before his absence in this series was largely a product of matchups and scheme. He's a 20/10 guy in most series he'll be involved in going forward.

They need at least one more D and 3 guy and one more guy who can create his own shot.

You and some other posters on here know way more about matchups than I do, but true superstars don't get neutralized through matchups. I guess KP will max out at being a good #3 star, not the #2 we were hoping for. Nothing wrong with keeping him around for the long haul but we need to get a huge fish to sign.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Just when I didn't think I could love luka any more.

Scotty Flamingo
What is Dame's contract status?
Southlake
Well, I'm disappointed but am sure we couldn't win the next round. But neither can the Clippers; they're done.

Great job with a team still building. Every team needs to make adjustments. The KP experiment was a flop. Can we get something for him? Or is he relegated to a very expensive role player. Who's Cuban gonna get?

But the joke is on the Clippers: they tanked to play the Mavs and the Mavs took them to 7 exhausting games.
Infection_Ag11
AG
South Platte said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

You and some other posters on here know way more about matchups than I do, but true superstars don't get neutralized through matchups. I guess KP will max out at being a good #3 star, not the #2 we were hoping for. Nothing wrong with keeping him around for the long haul but we need to get a huge fish to sign.

KP is a very unique player (as in he's really the only type of player like him in the league) and has a very unique weakness because he's not a complete, superstar type of player. There's one type of defender that can just completely shut him down, and it's the 6'8"-6'9" great defending wing with both size and length. He can't park himself at the elbow and shoot free throws all night like he can against smaller guys, and he can't go by them like he can bigs and less athletic traditional forward. Because he's so tall and upright, he's not gonna be able to take these defenders off the dribble like he can traditional forwards and centers (for similar reasons that 6'4" corners suck in man coverage against smaller receivers) and because he's so slight and weak for his size they can body him out of his spots I'm inside 20 feet or so. They're also so long he can't shoot uncontested jumpers over them. So really he can't do anything except hit the occasional open shot on a lockout against such defenders.

Well, there's only about 10 guys in the league like that and the Clippers have 3 of them (PG, Kawhi, MM). Two of them are top 5 wing defenders in the world. They parked one of those three on him about 80% of the series and forgot about him.

It's part of the reason they are such a terrible matchup for Dallas. They can completely neutralize one of the Mavs two best players without really having to do anything or sacrifice any other aspect of their defense.
EconAg18
AG
I think this would be contingent on the Blazers opting to blow it up and trading Dame too, but thoughts?

Infection_Ag11
AG
Southlake said:

Well, I'm disappointed but am sure we couldn't win the next round. But neither can the Clippers; they're done.

Great job with a team still building. Every team needs to make adjustments. The KP experiment was a flop. Can we get something for him? Or is he relegated to a very expensive role player. Who's Cuban gonna get?

But the joke is on the Clippers: they tanked to play the Mavs and the Mavs took them to 7 exhausting games.

The frustrating thing is we actually matchup better against Utah, and especially Denver/Phoenix. The latter two can't defend KP or Luka really at all.
PatAg
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

South Platte said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

KP is a very unique player (as in he's really the only type of player like him in the league) and has a very unique weakness because he's not a complete, superstar type of player. There's one type of defender that can just completely shut him down, and it's the 6'8"-6'9" great defending wing with both size and length. He can't park himself at the elbow and shoot free throws all night like he can against smaller guys, and he can't go by them like he can bigs and less athletic traditional forward. Because he's so tall and upright, he's not gonna be able to take these defenders off the dribble like he can traditional forwards and centers (for similar reasons that 6'4" corners suck in man coverage against smaller receivers) and because he's so slight and weak for his size they can body him out of his spots I'm inside 20 feet or so. They're also so long he can't shoot uncontested jumpers over them. So really he can't do anything except hit the occasional open shot on a lockout against such defenders.

Well, there's only about 10 guys in the league like that and the Clippers have 3 of them (PG, Kawhi, MM). Two of them are top 5 wing defenders in the world. They parked one of those three on him about 80% of the series and forgot about him.

It's part of the reason they are such a terrible matchup for Dallas. They can completely neutralize one of the Mavs two best players without really having to do anything or sacrifice any other aspect of their defense.
You are operating under the assumption that KP is going to recover and gain his mobility back.
Infection_Ag11
AG
PatAg said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

South Platte said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

You are operating under the assumption that KP is going to recover and gain his mobility back.

He averaged almost 25/10 when Luka was out earlier this year, and hasn't sustained anything more than a minor ankle sprain since.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.