***Official 2020-2021 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

175,357 Views | 2549 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MW03
COAg15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Until Dame formally asks Portland for a trade, let's hold off on these talks. Does no use except get our hopes up, only to crush those hopes later.
Spaceship
AG
COAg15 said:

Until Dame formally asks Portland for a trade, let's hold off on these talks. Does no use except get our hopes up, only to crush those hopes later.

Too late. I've already set my expectations unrealistically high for next year.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Well, at least we know Luka have his blessing for JKidd to coach.

Iowaggie
AG
EconAg18 said:

What if they lost Dame, but gained KP and Kyrie? I don't mean to make things political either, but I think Kyrie's off the field thoughts and beliefs would fit very well in Portland and resonate with the fan base.

A core of Kyrie and McCollum along with KP would be pretty nice.

Yes, that core would be nice in the 5 games they play together.

Portland is the interesting team to watch as they may be ready to tear things down.

If they are trying to tear things down, they will want young talent and draft picks, but will likely be very willing to trade Lillard to a place he wants to go (or is willing to go), as long as they can get reasonable amount of assets in return.

And maybe Carmelo finally ends up in LA.
cupofjoe04
AG
J.P. 03 said:

Bringing in Jason Kidd as the head coach is a freaking disaster waiting to happen. You see, I see it, we all see it, except the one guy who has the power to do something about it. Blows my mind how Cuban could make a decision this stupid.

I don't think anyone is paying any of us any single dime for our opinions on basketball. And there are likely very good reasons for that.

And why exactly do we all know better than Cuban, and the industry pros who are in support of this? It's not like Cuban made this decision alone in a closet. Lots of people who get paid a LOT of money to participate in basketball professionally felt Kidd was the right hire.

M.C. Swag
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

J.P. 03 said:

Bringing in Jason Kidd as the head coach is a freaking disaster waiting to happen. You see, I see it, we all see it, except the one guy who has the power to do something about it. Blows my mind how Cuban could make a decision this stupid.

I don't think anyone is paying any of us any single dime for our opinions on basketball. And there are likely very good reasons for that.

Cool, thanks for pointing that out.
Quote:

And why exactly do we all know better than Cuban, and the industry pros who are in support of this?
Why should we trust Cuban when he helped foster an environment of toxic predatory behavior towards women and then hires a man convicted of abusing women to do a job he is wholly unqualified for based on almost any fact based metric?
Quote:

It's not like Cuban made this decision alone in a closet.
Literally, based on reports Cuban in fact makes ALL the decisions alone.
Quote:

Lots of people who get paid a LOT of money to participate in basketball professionally felt Kidd was the right hire.
Oh well it's a good thing rich people with connections to other rich people never make bad decisions for ulterior motives or something.
jtstanley4621
AG
If Kidd can land us a duo of Luka and Lillard, I'm okay with it. If not, I am very very skeptical of him being the answer as a head coach. Either way the front off HAS to find a way to upgrade the overall talent level around Luka, bottom line.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Exactly. If Kidd brings us Dame, then fine. He can just roll the ball out there and let Luka/Dame dominate.

But there is nothing in Kidd's history to suggest that he is a good coach. He was pretty much a disaster both, on the floor and in the locker room, at his previous two spots. If you google "Jason Kidd locker room" a ton of results pop up about the locker room troubles. That's not promising given all of the drama we have just gone through.

And the wife beating stuff is just icing on the cake.
Guitarsoup
AG
MW03 said:

Nike Exec as basketball CEO is interesting
bangobango
AG
Between Kidd and Harrison, I think everything is being done to land some big fish to support Luka. I think that's the first priority. Guys on the Ticket today said that everyone in the NBA loves Harrison.
Guitarsoup
AG
Having a GM that players already like that also has an inside track to Nike/Jordan probably isn't a terrible thing in a league where players, especially stars, increasingly dictate where they play and that teams must move them. Since Luka is Nike/Jordan, he probably already has a good relationship with Niko.

While I think Dame would be great in Dallas, but Portland is going to demand a king's ransom for him, and I don't think Dallas has the bullets to fire for that one. Hopefully he learned a lot from Bron, Vogel, and Alex Caruso in LA.
PatAg
AG
I wonder if players love him, or they love his position at Nike
Grapesoda2525
I feel good about the GM hire. Seems like Donnie never brought much to the table as GM.
PatAg
AG
I can think of 2 players at the very least. and a 3rd he wanted but was overruled on by Cuban
True Anomaly
AG
J.P. 03
AG
I realize that the Mavs and Pacers are at different points on the "how player-friendly do we want our coach to be this time" pendulum, but I did find this contrast amusing:

Quote:

"I like what Steve Nash has done in Brooklyn and we kind of emulated that with this hire," Cuban said on Victory The Podcast. "But at the same time, you've got Nash hugging Durant after that game right?

"Nash is just a relationship person. It used to be, and I used to feel strongly this way, that having an in-game X's and O's expert gave you the ultimate advantage. But now I think having a relationship with the person, right? Somebody who can connect with the players, because that's what gets them to go a little bit harder.

"You want someone that is a relationship person.
It's not that Rick (Carlisle) isn't good at that, he was. It's just harder to relate to a 22-year-old."

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mavericks/2021/06/30/why-mark-cuban-says-the-mavericks-emulated-nets-hire-of-steve-nash-by-bringing-in-jason-kidd/

Besides the Nets, where else has this been tried recently? Oh yeah, Indiana:

Quote:

"We're in a win-now mode, we're trying to win and so we identified some traits or characteristics we wanted in a coach," Pritchard said. "Those characteristics were first of all multiyear experience, we really wanted to have someone who had a championship pedigree and that can be challenging to find all of them in one person. What happened in this year's search is Rick became available."

Pritchard's description is a stark contrast to the search he conducted after firing Nate McMillan last August. Back then, the Pacers wanted a new-age thinker who valued relationships. Nate Bjorkgren got the job in October and was fired in early June after one tumultuous season.

Carlisle is the opposite -- a proven winner who does his best work with veteran teams.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31739773/rick-carlisle-brings-championship-pedigree-win-now-indiana-pacers-gm-says

Let's hope going the "relationship" route works out a lot better for the Mavs than it did for Indiana.
MW03
AG
MW03
AG
https://www.theringer.com/2021/7/1/22558854/clippers-rumors-free-agency-kawhi-leonard-paul-george

Quote:

Dallas is considered by some executives to be the most serious threat to land Kawhi because of Luka Doncic's presence and the front office's ability to create maximum cap space or work out a sign-and-trade. During Leonard's years with Nike, he also developed a good relationship with Nico Harrison, the Mavs' new general manager and a former longtime executive at the company.

- Kevin O'Connor
Guitarsoup
AG
There was a LOT of bad blood between Kawhi and Nike. Kawhi sued Nike and lost and lost his trademark logo in the process. Kawhi wanted a signature shoe and Nike wouldn't give it to him. Kawhi wanted to get paid way more, and Nike refused. Wonder how good his relationship really is.

If Kawhi leaves, Clippers are going to want a TON of picks. They have their own this year and in 2027. In between this year and 2027, either OKC owns their pick, or the right to swap picks.
MW03
AG
Do the Clippers get compensation if he exercises his player option? I thought that would make him an unrestricted free agent, no?
Guitarsoup
AG
MW03 said:

Do the Clippers get compensation if he exercises his player option? I thought that would make him an unrestricted free agent, no?
Lots of players opt out and sign and trade because they make significantly more money that way. But he certainly could do what he did previously and sign for a 2y deal and see if Kidd is going to get it done then bounce again when his Uncle tells him to.

Think last year when Gordon Hayward opted out, then went to Charlotte on a S&T.
Grapesoda2525
MW03 said:

I don't buy it. I think this is just click bait.

Why would Leonard bail on a team who almost made it to the nba finals without him?
Saint Pablo
Grapesoda2525 said:

MW03 said:

Why would Leonard bail on a team who almost made it to the nba finals without him?
To join the team that almost beat him when he was in god mode!
Guitarsoup
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

MW03 said:

Because he has done it before and he's a *****.
M.C. Swag
AG
0% Kawhi leaves LA
Grapesoda2525
Guitarsoup said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

MW03 said:

Leaving Toronto wasn't a big deal. 90% of the people following the NBA believed he was gone. Stories were coming out that Leonard "hated the cold" and he's an LA kid so it was hard not to predict him ending up with the clippers.

This is definitely a different situation.
Saint Pablo
Grapesoda2525 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

MW03 said:

Leaving Toronto wasn't a big deal. 90% of the people following the NBA believed he was gone. Stories were coming out that Leonard "hated the cold" and he's an LA kid so it was hard not to predict him ending up with the clippers.

Spurs?
NoahAg
I will suit up for the Mavs before Kawhi does.
Saint Pablo
NoahAg said:

I will suit up for the Mavs before Kawhi does.
How's your jumper?
Grapesoda2525
Saint Pablo said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

MW03 said:

Spurs?
He was traded by San Antonio to Toronto. Didn't leave out of his own free will.
mavsfan4ever
AG
He literally made them trade him. It was definitely of his own free will.
mavsfan4ever
AG
https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/06/27/rumor-kawhi-leonard-unhappy-with-clippers-medical-staff/

From the Spurs thread. Sounds familiar. With as weird as Kawhi is, this could escalate quickly. But it seems like the article is going off of what Skip Bayless said, so I don't give it any credibility at all.
Guitarsoup
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Saint Pablo said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

MW03 said:

Spurs?
He was traded by San Antonio to Toronto. Didn't leave out of his own free will.
Yeah, Harden was forced to go to Brooklyn too. Wasn't his free will, Rockets traded him.
MW03
AG
I'm with you guys that I don't see any reasonable percentage where this actually happens. The only thing that makes me wrinkle my nose a little is that Kawhi's mind is a total mystery to me. That and the fact that he is injured and was grousing about the Clippers medical staff. I believe Dallas is reputed to have one of the very best medical staffs in the league, headed by Casey Smith.
Guitarsoup
AG
MW03 said:

I'm with you guys that I don't see any reasonable percentage where this actually happens. The only thing that makes me wrinkle my nose a little is that Kawhi's mind is a total mystery to me. That and the fact that he is injured and was grousing about the Clippers medical staff. I believe Dallas is reputed to have one of the very best medical staffs in the league, headed by Casey Smith.
Spurs were always considered a great medical staff as well that helped lengthen the careers of Duncan, Parker, Manu, and all the old ass veterans that signed in SA. Pop pretty much pioneered the super limited minutes and rest games for stars, becoming the first team to not have a single player with over 30mpg in 2014.
But Kawhi *****ed about them and hired his own doctors. Then when those doctors didn't say what he wanted, fired those doctors and hired other ones.

I think Kawhi is just always going to be injury prone, always get bad info from his inner circle, and always find things to ***** about so he can justify being unhappy wherever he is.

Kawhi would be great with Luka and Kristaps. But I think Kawhi giving the Clippers one more season is more likely.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.