***Official 2020-2021 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

174,889 Views | 2549 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MW03
HawthornAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ah good point, good point.
PatAg
AG
South Platte said:

That's quite a list. I'm struggling to think of anything KP does as well.

KP before injury and our trade for him was basically a 7ft+ version of Klay while also being a big time rim protector
ChoppinDs40
AG
Nowhere near the perimeter defender Klay is. And that's what we need.
chris1515
AG
I'd be ok seeing KP get swapped "IF" that can happen.

Otherwise, whoever the new coach is needs to figure out how to re-establish KP as a significant contributor. It's hard for me to figure out how much of his irrelevancy this year was his fault vs Carlisle.
M.C. Swag
AG
dave94 said:

He'll be here one more year 100%. There are no big trades happening this off-season when we need to find a new GM and head coach.

And I'm good with that. You can't bail on KP this quickly without getting so much less in return.

I said 2022, as in I think he'll be traded early next season.
PatAg
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Nowhere near the perimeter defender Klay is. And that's what we need.
Talking about offensive game, which is why I mentioned his rim protection separately
jeffdjohnson
I really don't see any good KP trade options. He has a negative contract to production value. I'm guessing he would only get 15M-20M on a short-term deal in an open market. That would also likely include some injury protection clauses. Mavs are paying him 30M for 3 more years. So if you shop him then you are taking something equally negative back like Kemba. I would much rather see KP back after a healthy offseason than get Kemba.

The main thing with KP next year is offering something positive on the defensive end protecting the rim. The Mavs with KP and Luka on the floor were absolutely awful defensively. KP might not be happy with his offensive role but having a floor-spacing big is pretty valuable. The Mavs with KP and Luka on the floor were fantastic offensively. I'm not sure what the answer is, but it has to be a combination of both roster and KP improvement.

Unfortunately, it is going to be tough to improve the roster this summer. There are no game-changing free agents and the Mavs don't have a draft pick. The Mavs just weren't proactive in building this roster when they had their best chance two summers ago. When they booted out Harrison Barnes I was excited because I thought they had a plan. Instead, they signed Boban and Seth. I remember kicking around names like Brogdan and Randle at the time. Then it was crickets. Frankly, Harrison Barnes would have helped this team a lot.

Hopefully Cuban brings in a GM with good relationships to the various agents in the league, then gets out of his way. I don't know if Cuban is capable of just being a rubber stamp, but the Mavs need a total front office overhaul. The Mavs have only made it past the 1st round a total of 2 times in the last 15 years. The title absolves a lot, but there needs to be some self-reflection here. A good chunk of that time includes prime Dirk and 1st team all NBA Luka. It's underachieving, plain and simple.
jtstanley4621
AG
Could be that the new GM/HC give the KP and Luka tandem new life, but I just don't feel optimistic about that happening for several reasons. I'm not sure if Cuban is going to make the right hires and it's just hard for me not to picture an essentially washed up KP even if he is fully healthy for the first offseason in however long. That being said I would love to be wrong
MW03
AG
What do we think of Tim McMahon in terms of credibility?
fightinags2013
AG
He is on a shortlist of guys to trust.
Townsend, Cato, McMahon, Woj/Shams (nationally)
MW03
AG
That's what I was worried about. Sounds like things are pretty rough in his latest appearance on the Lowe Pod

https://www.espn.com/radio/play/_/id/30822146
PatAg
AG
fightinags2013 said:

Could not disagree more about MacMahon
mavsfan4ever
AG
MW03 said:

That's what I was worried about. Sounds like things are pretty rough in his latest appearance on the Lowe Pod

https://www.espn.com/radio/play/_/id/30822146

This is from February. Is there a recent one that you meant to link to?

Edit: found one from June 17
Saint Pablo
PatAg said:

fightinags2013 said:

Could not disagree more about MacMahon
Why do people feel the way they do about MacMahon? Positive or negative. Would be curious to hear from both of y'all. The last couple seasons have been the first time I have really followed the Mavs super closely.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I don't know jack about MacMahon, but what he said on the Hardline made sense. Superstars have established a precedence of being able to force a trade about halfway through their supermax deal. Which, for Luka, is 3 more seasons.

Clock to build a winner is ticking. But the good news is, we have the hardest piece already.
fightinags2013
AG
What makes you say that? I admit I could be wrong here.

He was one of the few guys with the cajones to ask Rick tough questions.
PatAg
AG
fightinags2013 said:

What makes you say that? I admit I could be wrong here.

He was one of the few guys with the cajones to ask Rick tough questions.
Just reading his articles over the years.
fightinags2013
AG
Huh. Interesting. I definitely disagree with his OPINION at times when he is on podcasts, but it seems like he is a pretty good reporter who has good access to the team.
EastSideAg2002
So do we take Simmons to get rid of Porzingis?
Trucker 96
Oh hell no. Simmons is a disaster on the offensive end. Can't shoot the 3. Can't shoot FT's. Basically makes him useless when it matters most
EconAg18
AG
I just don't see how that trade helps us. I'd rather us keep KP and hope he figures things out.
Saint Pablo
Do. Not. Want.
M.C. Swag
AG
MW03 said:

What do we think of Tim McMahon in terms of credibility?
I'll say this..there's a reason Rick Carlisle decided to reach out to Woj to break the news he was leaving Dallas and not McMahon.

Tim is not liked around the Mavs team and has lost alot of contacts he once had.
M.C. Swag
AG
fightinags2013 said:

For the Mavs? McMahon is not a voice worth listening to. He regurgitates other reports (Cato, Windhorst, Woj, etc).
Saint Pablo
Lmao
Trucker 96
Gonna be Finley at GM and Kidd coaching. Book it
PatAg
AG
I'd be ok with Finley, if for no other reason than there is no evidence he would be mediocre/bad.

Kidd hasnt had a lot of success coaching. At the same time, so many teams are looking for a coach, its not a great offseason to hire a new one.
Carlo4
AG
Saint Pablo said:

Lmao

PatAg
AG
I usually enjoy reading Bob Sturm's articles on the athletic. (pay wall, but you can almost always find deals for $1 a month).

His article on the Mavs situation felt like it was kind of phoned in, and didn't really provide any new information or insight on the topic. Maybe I am just overly informed on it right now.
jtstanley4621
AG
Saint Pablo said:

Lmao

Cuban is flirting with going full Jerry Jones. And you should never go full Jerry Jones.
Saint Pablo
jtstanley4621 said:

Saint Pablo said:

Lmao

Cuban is flirting with going full Jerry Jones. And you should never go full Jerry Jones.
I think he is there already.
M.C. Swag
AG

^ the Mavs FO has their work cut out for them.
hph6203
AG
Basically they traded for Capela and sign Bogdanovic. That's not that impressive.

If KP played the way he is/was capable of playing the Mavs would have beaten the Clippers and they'd be staring down an off-season where they could sign a #3 to put them in contention. Instead they're without picks and KP plays like ass.

Someone needs to go to Luka and tell him, look we know he's a pain in the ass, but he's capable when he tries, and you need help that we're not otherwise going to get easily. Act like he's your best friend on the court and in the gym, and then when he heads to go peep titties for pay you don't necessarily need to tag along. See if the relationship can be repaired.
Saint Pablo
Rick to Indiana. Still don't get why we let him walk for free.
EconAg18
AG
I do not like this.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.