***Official 2020-2021 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

174,919 Views | 2549 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MW03
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You can't deny that WHEN they do play well together, you can see the vision Donnie had when we made this move. They can be dominant together.

THe issue would be how often has that actually happened since he got here...a handful of times?
fightinags2013
AG
So many factors have coalesced to get them to this point. KP being the biggest one. Other factors hurting the team at the moment:
-Seth for J-Rich was a disaster. J-Rich is awful.
-Luka *****ing CONSTANTLY hurts team morale. It just does. I'm sick of it and I love the guy.
-Team building is suspect. Dorian is not the defensive stopper the team thinks he is. Fox COOKED him. And it's not the first time we've seen him struggle like this. Brunson is a good 4th or 5th best player. When he is consistently your 2nd or 3rd best- you're gonna be in trouble.

I don't know how they fix it. THJ in the starting lineup for J-Rich is the only reasonable thing I can think of, but I don't know that it would work.
Saint Pablo
https://theathletic.com/2528764/2021/04/19/the-mavericks-season-has-reached-another-inflection-point-its-a-reminder-how-little-their-roster-has-improved/ Great article about our current situation.
mavsfan4ever
AG
fightinags2013 said:

So many factors have coalesced to get them to this point. KP being the biggest one. Other factors hurting the team at the moment:
-Seth for J-Rich was a disaster. J-Rich is awful.
-Luka *****ing CONSTANTLY hurts team morale. It just does. I'm sick of it and I love the guy.
-Team building is suspect. Dorian is not the defensive stopper the team thinks he is. Fox COOKED him. And it's not the first time we've seen him struggle like this. Brunson is a good 4th or 5th best player. When he is consistently your 2nd or 3rd best- you're gonna be in trouble.

I don't know how they fix it. THJ in the starting lineup for J-Rich is the only reasonable thing I can think of, but I don't know that it would work.
Agree with all of this. And I'll add to it that Rick has got to get KP more involved. Run plays for him and play through him. Otherwise, what's the point of having a 2nd guy who could be a superstar. If we try it for 4-5 games and it truly doesn't work, then fine, go back to 100% Luka. But I feel like we haven't even tried to play through KP. He showed us last year what he can do when he's healthy and we play through him. He had some great stretches (including the bubble).

The way we use KP reminds me a little of how the Heat used Bosh. He took a major backseat role to Lebron and Wade. That may be fine when you have 2 other SUPERSTARS. But we don't have anyone close to a superstar (or even close to an all star) other than Luka and KP, so we have got to go to KP more than we do. We are completely wasting KP's talents using him like we do. His nickname is the Unicorn for a reason, and we are just using him as a spotup 3 & D center (who isn't playing any D). And when we do give him the ball it is in postup situations late in the shot clock that he's not good at.
BallerStaf2003
AG
What the hell is this?

Ol Jock 99
AG
There is no spoon?
mavsfan4ever
AG
We play the lakers that day. But I have no clue what an old metal spork has to do with the Lakers game.
hph6203
AG
Biodegradable Sporks for Earth Day.
The Shank Ag
If Brunson was 4 inches taller, he'd be an all star
jeffdjohnson
Mavs tied with Blazers in the loss column (they have the tiebreaker though). But check out Portlands remaining schedule:

https://www.espn.com/nba/team/schedule/_/name/por

Looks pretty brutal to me. If the Mavs split versus the Lakers then I think they will have a decent shot at overtaking Portland. Memphis is still lurking though and could spoil both teams (2 back in the loss column, with one more head-to-head remaining with Mavs). Unfortunately, a lot of back-to-back games remain though for the Mavs. I don't think the Mavs have won both games of a back-to-back all season.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea I still think we are slight favorites to overtake Portland as long as we play somewhere near our potential and not how we have been lately.

But we don't have two off days in a row the rest of the way. So that may somewhat offset our easier schedule. We are 4 point favorites tonight. Would be great to get this one and then be playing with house money on Saturday.
The Shank Ag
If they play to their ability, an 11-4 finish is possible.

Drop to lakers, @GS, Brooklyn, and @memphis

Win Lakers, @Sac, @Detroit, Wash, Sac, @miami, Clev, @clev, NOLA, Toronto, @Minn

If they don't start playing to potential, looking more like 8-7. That enough to pass Portland? Maybe but I'd rather they start getting hot now and find that 6 or even 5 seed.
Grapesoda2525
The Shank Ag said:

If they play to their ability, an 11-4 finish is possible.

Drop to lakers, @GS, Brooklyn, and @memphis

Win Lakers, @Sac, @Detroit, Wash, Sac, @miami, Clev, @clev, NOLA, Toronto, @Minn

If they don't start playing to potential, looking more like 8-7. That enough to pass Portland? Maybe but I'd rather they start getting hot now and find that 6 or even 5 seed.
Don't be so quick to put Sacramento into the win column. They throttled the mavs by 15 on the road last time. Could be a matchup problem like golden state usually is.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Kristaps getting destroyed on the boards early.

It's obvious the plan was to get him heavily involved and now in a ten point hole
BallerStaf2003
AG
We MUST win this game!
MW03
AG
Games gone ugly entirely because the refs. The start to the 3rd was ridiculous.
gigem1223
The refs are absolutely horrible. And there goes KP for a few weeks
mavsfan4ever
AG
Good damn it. KP was playing well tonight. Sill be depressing if it's a 1-2 week injury.
mavsfan4ever
AG
On the bright side WCS has been great
dave94
AG
Love the Mavs but it's pretty effing cool to see Caruso guarding Luka.
MW03
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

He's playing his balls off by WCS standards
PatAg
AG
I'll always root for Caruso, but he just fouled Luka and got away with it in a big spot
PatAg
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

We have different ideas of what great is
MW03
AG
PatAg said:

I'll always root for Caruso, but he just fouled Luka and got away with it in a big spot

Mavs have a ton of FTs, but I swear Drummond has 27 fouls at this point.
mavsfan4ever
AG
You are insane if you don't think WCS has been great tonight.

gigem1223
WCS def played a good game. Tied for the 6th spot now.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Hate to say it but I kinda agree with Barkley on the post game show. We rely on Luka too much. When other players get the rebound they just stand there and look for Luka instead of playing basketball. They don't even try to make a play on their own most of the time.

Reminds me of the 6-8 seed okc teams when Westbrook was going crazy. That's exactly what they did with Westbrook. Would just look for him and nothing else. Obviously Luka is >>> than Westbrook. But Barkley's comments made me realize the teams are somewhat similar. We need to work on that if we are ever going to be a true contender.

I don't blame Luka. It's on Rick and the other players.
hph6203
AG
They do, but I think it's more a matter of skill set of the players currently on the team more than anything. You have Brunson and to an extent THJ and that's about as far as I'd go with guys who have ball handling abilities. Richardson thinks he does, but he doesn't.
94chem
gigem1223 said:

And there goes KP for a few weeks

What happened? Did he get too close to the basket?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea that's true.
Iowaggie
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

Mavs tied with Blazers in the loss column (they have the tiebreaker though). But check out Portlands remaining schedule:

https://www.espn.com/nba/team/schedule/_/name/por

Looks pretty brutal to me. If the Mavs split versus the Lakers then I think they will have a decent shot at overtaking Portland. Memphis is still lurking though and could spoil both teams (2 back in the loss column, with one more head-to-head remaining with Mavs). Unfortunately, a lot of back-to-back games remain though for the Mavs. I don't think the Mavs have won both games of a back-to-back all season.

Portland's schedule is tough, but some of those games at the end could be against teams resting players.

This week is pretty big for the 6-8 race as Portland and Memphis play all 3 of their games in next 6 days.

And then there will be a bunch of reruns from the bubble playoffs.
Dallas will end up in 6th spot to play Clippers again in playoffs.
Memphis and Portland will have a play in game against each other.
Denver and LAL will play in the first round
gigem1223
Portland loses again, now in the 6th spot. With a win tonight the 5th seed is a very real possibility.
hph6203
AG
De'Aron Fox is also out for both of our games against Sacramento due to COVID protocols.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Luka's "let's wait until the 2nd half to get going" is becoming problematic.
gigem1223
Luka is so deadly in the pick and roll

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.