***Official 2020-2021 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

175,049 Views | 2549 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MW03
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
gigem1223 said:

2/13 from 3, several wide open
Most of them wide open. And at home.
gigem1223
And end the half on a wide open brick.
awrollins
The looks are there, I think this comeback is possible. If not, we need to get Luka as much rest as possible.
Grapesoda2525
Looks like the mavs won 2 and took the last 2 games off.

Losers
Muy
AG
Best part is this kills Cuban.
awrollins
Muy said:

Go somewhere else
J.P. 03
AG
Sorry if y'all already covered this a few pages ago, but did we ever figure out exactly when Luka got hurt in Game 3? I remember a few hard fouls in the first half, and I assume it was one of those that did him in. If so, I somehow hate the Clippers even more than I already did.
gigem1223
Zero effort
gigem1223
Richardson lookin like Phillip Seymour Hoffman out there
Muy
AG
awrollins said:

Muy said:

Go somewhere else

No
Grapesoda2525
J.P. 03 said:

Sorry if y'all already covered this a few pages ago, but did we ever figure out exactly when Luka got hurt in Game 3? I remember a few hard fouls in the first half, and I assume it was one of those that did him in. If so, I somehow hate the Clippers even more than I already did.
I don't care if it's the Lakers or the nets. I really hope someone beats this damn team if we get knocked out.

I really don't want to see anyone get rewarded for tanking the last 2 games of the season and losing to 2 teams who have barely won 1 game out of their last 20 or so. They have already taken a ton of heat for manipulating the matchups like that.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Clippers two stars are playing very well and the supporting cast is performing.

Mavs star is hurt, #2 is doing nada (again), and the supporting cast is meh.

Team needs some serious restructuring to get past this point.
Southlake
It's no fair that we're not allowed to play defense against Kawai.

I mean that must be the case cause we just kinda let him do whatever he wants. Mavs need to learn to get tough during the playoffs.

mncag
Ol Jock 99 said:

Clippers two stars are playing very well and the supporting cast is performing.

Mavs star is hurt, #2 is doing nada (again), and the supporting cast is meh.

Team needs some serious restructuring to get past this point.

I didn't think they were going to win but if they're going to lose this series. I want to lose 4 and get blown out every game and get rid of kristaps and Carlisle
Ol Jock 99
AG
I really don't get why Luka is still out there. He can't do anything.
Phat32
AG
Get Carlisle out of here
Muy
AG
These 2 games are on Carlisle. Team didn't come home with any hunger.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Muy said:

These 2 games are on Carlisle. Team didn't come home with any hunger.

This isn't little league. Motivation isnt on the coach at this point.
NukeAg10
AG
Full house, too. I feel bad for the fans that wasted money on this bull*****
fightinags2013
AG
What about the first two games? Does Carlisle get any credit for those?
mavsfan4ever
AG
**** Carlisle. Play Jalen every ****ing minute. The fact that he's not playing him is reason enough to fire him. And give Powell a chance too I guess while you're at it.

Muy
AG
fightinags2013 said:

Sure, but I'm talking about game 3 and 4
mavsfan4ever
AG
fightinags2013 said:

He honestly doesn't get credit for **** this year in my opinion.

I'll start by saying that I love Rick and give him total credit for the championship. He was great on 2011. He was also great at making us a 710 seed when we should've been a 12-14 seed.

But he has mishandled KP. We do nothing to run plays for him. What Carlisle considers running a play for him is just forcing terrible post ups far away from the basket. He's never coming off screens or anything to put him in a good spot. He's great for luka (which is the most important) but good god learn how to get some other guys involved.

and Jaylen should be playing every crunch time minute ...
alvtimes
3 starters.... 12 points.....yall with this?
M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag
AG
Rick didn't trade for a 7'3 slender man or for JRich. The roster sucks. 2 of our starters were UNDRAFTED, meaning that Rick developed them. You want to blame someone? Blame the FO for wasting draft picks or money on players that are too scared to rebound or play D.

KP is a freaking joke.
Trucker 96
Yeah, 3 picks that unsurprisingly rarely saw the floor. Curry for Richardson swapped a 45% 3 shooter for low 30%'s, so that's basically taking away a made 3 per game. And then KP just seems mentally done here, and the feeling seems mutual.
jtstanley4621
AG
Well I said yesterday it felt like the series was in the process of slipping away. It would obviously appear that we have arrived at that point.

Luka was off last night for sure but I don't put the loss on him. It's so clear KP isn't gonna cut it as a Robin to Luka's Batman. We simply have to have a better number 2 player on this team. As it stands right now we have to have Luka basically do it all, and that is not a recipe for success in today's NBA. Especially when Luka is less than 100 percent. I suppose the good news is that if we could get a legit star player to be the number 2, KP could slide into a (vastly overpaid) number 3 position and that might suit him well.
mavsfan4ever
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Rick didn't trade for a 7'3 slender man or for JRich. The roster sucks. 2 of our starters were UNDRAFTED, meaning that Rick developed them. You want to blame someone? Blame the FO for wasting draft picks or money on players that are too scared to rebound or play D.

KP is a freaking joke.

Agree that KP is awful. But I put some (or maybe a lot) of that blame on Rick. He has no clue how to use him. He wasn't a joke in NY when they ran plays for him and put him in positions to succeed. We never do that. How is he supposed to succeed on offense with the positions Rick puts him in? But I admit that doesn't excuse how poor he is lately at rebounding and protecting the rim.

And how would we know how the FO is at drafting? Rick never plays rookies to give them a chance. Green looks like he has promise but we will never know. If we had drafted Bane, I doubt he'd be seeing the floor and we'd never know how good he is. He's great and everyone on this board wanted us to draft him. But he wouldn't be getting minutes.

Hell he barely played Jalen last night and everyone knows he's great. (4-5 of his minutes were garbage time, so he played 14-15 minutes before that).
AG@RICE
AG
As an outsider to the Mavs, I don't watch Rick Carlisle every day so I can't say my opinion is 100% informed; however, I'm not sure how you can pin this on the coach.

The current Mavs unfortunately have a similar achilles heel as the Harden Rockets. If the center of the universe (Luka or Harden) is slightly off for any reason, the team has really no chance to win. I actually felt like the Rockets had the talent to developed a plan B, but Harden was simply too selfish. I don't think this is the case for the current Mavs and Luka. I think Luka would be happy to play off another player, I just don't think the Mavs have the talent to let anyone else run the show...or even dribble the basketball. I know KP is considered a "star", but he pretty much sucks in every situation. Luka makes him look like a useful NBA player, but if he played without a gifted play-maker he would be permanent hot garbage. I just don't see anyone on the Mavs roster that is good enough to consistently take the pressure off Luka.

Tough series, but I think you should hang on to Carlisle even if you lose in 6. He is a proven coach and I actually thought he did a fine job this year weathering injuries. If the GM would step up and find a legitimate #2 to run with Luka, the Mavs would be a very scary team. As it stands, if you can take out one man, you can beat the entire team. I highly doubt Carlisle wants to play like this...I just don't think he has a choice.
True Anomaly
AG
Totally agree with AG@RICE

It's a multifactoral problem- Carlisle may deserve some blame, the front office may deserve some blame, and even the players do as well.

Last night, it was clear shots weren't falling- whether outside or inside. But the Mavs resorted to doing what they always do in times like this- too scared to drive inside, so let's settle for passing it along the perimeter and taking shots that don't fall, and it just snowballs from there. But at least Carlisle tried something different- throwing Boban in the first quarter wasn't just scraping the bottom of the barrel- it was to draw out the Clippers big men back onto the floor since the Mavs had more success when the Clippers went with a traditional lineup. And it seemed like it might work since Zubac looked a bit lost during the game and even fouled out of the game. But if the shots don't fall, whether they are contested or not, it doesn't matter what subs you try to do to force a "better matchup"
mavsfan4ever
AG
AG@RICE said:

I know KP is considered a "star", but he pretty much sucks in every situation. Luka makes him look like a useful NBA player, but if he played without a gifted play-maker he would be permanent hot garbage. I just don't see anyone on the Mavs roster that is good enough to consistently take the pressure off Luka.

I'm not putting all the blame on Carlisle. I agree the players and front office deserve some too.

But I don't see how you can say the above if you watched KP play in NY. He didn't have a gifted playmaker and did very well on his own. Definitely wasn't hot garbage. That's why I think Carlisle deserves some blame for not using KP well. Maybe KP has regressed to much less of a player since he was in NY but that would be odd for someone who should now be in his prime. But I admit it's possible bc he looks very bad.

And I agree that Luka is forced to run the show bc we have very few playmakers on the roster. That's why I get irritated when Carlisle doesn't play Jalen big minutes. He's by far our best non-Luka playmaker.
hph6203
AG
KP hasn't been in New York for almost 3 years and has been a sad sap all season. Things change. Maybe Rick recognizes his ****ty attitude and effort and doesn't believe he'll execute the plays.

What I do know is that Rick has routinely made guys look better here than they have anywhere else and somehow KP is one of the few exceptions.

If I'm going to blame anyone in that scenario it's the dude that forced his way out of his last time rather than the one who has shown to be pretty damn competent for over a decade.
awinlonghorn
Besides Luka, there is not a SINGLE player who can consistently take it to the hoop with multiple moves. Its one move and shoot. Heck, even reggie jackson and terrance mann get to the rim more than anyone else on our team but Luka.

KP is not aggressive at all. Yes, he needs plays run for him but his body language is terrible most of the time.

TH2 is no jason terry, but we try to make him out to be.

Josh Richardson trade is horrible. For a defensive "stopper" he gets abused.

We are also missing a bruce bowen, a pj tucker, a shawn marion. Doe Doe aint it for that role.

If we dont get a legit no.2..this generation aint like dirk's generation. They have a grass is greener mentality.
Ol Jock 99
AG
The individual game result from last night was due mainly and primarily to Luka being hurt. He didn't "play terribly"; he was hurt. Plain and simple.

This team is build to go as Luka goes, and last night showed it. We don't have a #2. It is Luka or bust. Luka desperately needs a Paul George to his Kawhi.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.