***Official 2020-2021 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

174,932 Views | 2549 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MW03
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I did (see above). Definitely a lot of red flags.
EconAg18
AG
This is fine. This is just great.

Saint Pablo

Quote:

"Voulgaris spent a limited amount of time around the Mavericks during his first season of employment, attending about one-quarter of the team's games. He attended fewer games the following season, but his imprint on the team's roster grew substantially that offseason. It was Voulgaris who initiated the team's acquisitions of Seth Curry and Delon Wright, with multiple sources telling The Athletic that Voulgaris believed Wright should start next to Doncic. "He was the only person that believed that," one team source says. Wright did start the season opener before being moved to a full-time bench role the following game, barely playing in the team's first-round defeat in the 2020 postseason. He was traded that offseason."
What the FOOK. If we ultimately lose Luka, Cuban will deserve it.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Yeah, that makes you feel really sorry for the players. Getting caught in the middle of a power struggle that has nothing to do with them.
M.C. Swag
AG
I'd guess the pick of Tyrell Terry was the issue.
First: Voulgaris has a good relationship with Kevin O'Connor at the Ringer who fell in love with Terry during the pre draft process. He wrote a massive article about him and had Terry ranked in the top 10 of the draft class. O'Connor and Voulgaris are both huge stat heads and I would bet Voulgaris wanted Terry for the same reasons his pal ranked him as a lottery pick.
Second: Josh Green was a UA guy that was hyped up by Jason Terry. I don't think he was a Voulgaris pick, considering he was a project player and wasn't an analytical darling in college.
PatAg
AG
I believe part of that article indicated that Rick has to play certain lineups/rotations based on data analysis by this guy as well. Which seems insane.

You let the data inform your decision, but in a sport you shouldn't let it be the only factor you base your decisions on. I imagine this guy will not be rehired.
Saint Pablo
Why do we trust our franchise to an mf named Haralobo
MW03
AG
True Anomaly
AG
PatAg said:

I believe part of that article indicated that Rick has to play certain lineups/rotations based on data analysis by this guy as well. Which seems insane.

You let the data inform your decision, but in a sport you shouldn't let it be the only factor you base your decisions on. I imagine this guy will not be rehired.
During the series with the Clippers on a Ticket postgame show, it was directly stated that the move to Boban in the starting lineup was because of statistical analysis. Which now we know came from Haralabob
Infection_Ag11
AG
True Anomaly said:

PatAg said:

During the series with the Clippers on a Ticket postgame show, it was directly stated that the move to Boban in the starting lineup was because of statistical analysis. Which now we know came from Haralabob

To be fair, that move worked. The Clippers ran a layup line drill in games 3 and 4 and were on their way to winning the series in 6 with a couple more blowouts.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Trucker 96
Rick C is the type of personality that I don't see being dictated anything. I would think anything as far as lineups and subs would be in the form of recommendations driven by analysis, but in the end, that is his team on the floor. That said, I could see a Donnie/Mark/Voulgaris/scout tug of war when it comes to personnel
True Anomaly
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

True Anomaly said:

PatAg said:

To be fair, that move worked. The Clippers ran a layup line drill in games 3 and 4 and were on their way to winning the series in 6 with a couple more blowouts.
Fair enough. There's no disagreement that advanced analytics shouldn't have some role in lineups, but I'm willing to bet you don't need to have this one specific guy (referring to Voulgaris) if he's truly as toxic a personality to work with as the article suggests- and as other corners of the Internet are confirming
Ol Jock 99
AG
Fore Left! said:

Rick C is the type of personality that I don't see being dictated anything. I would think anything as far as lineups and subs would be in the form of recommendations driven by analysis, but in the end, that is his team on the floor. That said, I could see a Donnie/Mark/Voulgaris/scout tug of war when it comes to personnel

Rick could likely get another gig without too much issue if he was unhappily ganged up on.
EconAg18
AG
fightinags2013
AG
Not gonna be the last we hear from cubes on this. Loves to hear himself talk.
EconAg18
AG
Bingo

Saint Pablo
MW03
AG
PatAg
AG
I don't think Charlotte has anything we would want.

I could see the truth being somewhere between "total bull****" and what the article states, since "intimate inside sources" generally have their own agendas that tint the story they tell.

I absolutely believe he would allow this person to have more influence than they should, which should just be them presenting the data they have and the conclusions they draw.
M.C. Swag
AG
PatAg said:

I could see the truth being somewhere between "total bull****" and what the article states, since "intimate inside sources" generally have their own agendas that tint the story they tell.

I absolutely believe he would allow this person to have more influence than they should, which should just be them presenting the data they have and the conclusions they draw.
PJ Washington and Rozier or Graham would be nice. Also we could use a true backup big like Zeller (who is a FA, but obviously wouldnt be the focal point of a charlotte offer).
AirplaneAg09
AG
Quote:

You mean other than unloading KP's contract?
Saint Pablo
PatAg said:

They could have KP which we don't want
Saint Pablo

Ol Jock 99
AG
Intentional distraction to keep the moving of KP quiet?
MW03
AG
Say what you want, but Tim Cato doesn't seem like a hack.
M.C. Swag
AG
MW03 said:

He's absolutely not a hack.
PatAg
AG
M.C. Swag said:

PatAg said:

PJ Washington and Rozier or Graham would be nice. Also we could use a true backup big like Zeller (who is a FA, but obviously wouldnt be the focal point of a charlotte offer).
Article did say they'd want to pair KP with Ball and Rozier, so I assume that means not traded.
PatAg
AG
M.C. Swag said:

MW03 said:

He's absolutely not a hack.
He's not a hack, but he did write the article with someone else.
Usually when you have so many "a source with intimate knowledge" you also try to include some quotes with people ON record.
MW03
AG
this is fascinating

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comments/nzt38c/um_guys/

There's a user on there who created his account on June 9, 2021.

That same day, that user posts a video called "Donnie 2011 Nelson - GM Masterclass". The video essentially mocks Donnie Nelson and the moves he's made with respect to the construction of the current team, focusing on Powell, KP, Burke, trading Seth Curry, THJ, etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comments/nw453n/donnie_2011_nelson_gm_masterclass/

After that video went out, apparently the user had some PMs with Tim Cato, which the account posted:

In an NBA thread about KP's quote re: "Unicorn 2.0", that account makes this comment digging at KP for his inability to score in the post.

When the Athletic article hit, that same account indicated that the owner knew Bob Voulgaris, and that this was an "orchestrated attack by [Donnie] Nelson and his clique." He goes on to say that Carlisle would back Voulgaris up, but that he is a "hostage".

And that user name, "march19_2005plsquit"? Don Nelson resigned on March 19, 2005, and that same day Donnie Nelson was named GM.

M.C. Swag
AG
PatAg said:

M.C. Swag said:

PatAg said:

Article did say they'd want to pair KP with Ball and Rozier, so I assume that means not traded.
Well then Graham would work.
Ol Jock 99
AG
(Wrong emoji) Cato was just on with Bb and Corby. He's not backing down one step from what he said.
EconAg18
AG
Oh my.what did you just discover?
M.C. Swag
AG
EconAg18 said:

There's a whole reddit thread about it lol. Pretty fascinating stuff. The FO is obviously a ****show right now and we're all witnessing a media mud fight between Donnie and Voulgaris.

I can't express to anyone that still believes Rick is a problem how wrong they are in the face of all these shenanigans. Cuban and his cronies have been an issue for a long time.
MW03
AG
EconAg18 said:

Check the first link in my post. Someone over at Reddit is digging all this up, so it's a developing rumor mill. I'm just trying to translate it for people who aren't used to reddit and it's weird interface.
EconAg18
AG
Yep, went down that rabbit hole after I read through your post. This is insane.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.