***Official 2020-2021 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

174,464 Views | 2549 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MW03
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
hph6203 said:

Do the Clippers have a better punch than that?
They played an amazingly good first half.
hph6203
AG
I'm not criticizing them and saying it was a bad game, I'm saying that's about as good as they can reasonably hope for and they still lost by 6 despite the Mavs missing 11 gimmes.

They can probably put a better game out there, but can they do it 4 times in 5 games?
Phat32
AG
Marcus Morris fouling out on an offensive foul was chef's kiss
Saint Pablo
Did the Clippers win?
gigem1223
Amazing win especially with how poorly they shot from the stripe
Grapesoda2525
hph6203 said:

I'm not criticizing them and saying it was a bad game, I'm saying that's about as good as they can reasonably hope for and they still lost by 6 despite the Mavs missing 11 gimmes.

They can probably put a better game out there, but can they do it 4 times in 5 games?
Seems unlikely. The mavs would have to epically choke.

At this point, the Mavs don't even need the road game. They can just go 2/3 at home to close it out.
Grapesoda2525
awrollins
After watching Luka these last couple of years in the playoffs, maybe Kawhi might want to come to Dallas? Just having fun...
Scotty Flamingo
This team
Saint Pablo
I wouldn't be mad about it
Bodhi
AG
**** THE CLIPPERS

**** PLAYOFF P

Grapesoda2525
awrollins said:

After watching Luka these last couple of years in the playoffs, maybe Kawhi might want to come to Dallas? Just having fun...
We need somebody to break the ice and willingly come here. If that's Kawhi, then so be it.

Dallas has gotta break their reputation of being interested in all the free agents and signing none of them ASAP.
hph6203
AG
Grapesoda2525
Would be funny if they stuffed rondo into a locker and left him in LA.
PatAg
AG
hph6203 said:

shocking
PatAg
AG
I gotta find a way to be at Game 3
dave94
AG
What an effing win. We're in their grills now.

Friday will be rocking at the AAC
True Anomaly
AG
PatAg said:

hph6203 said:

shocking
Should've capped it off with an 8-second violation
awrollins
PatAg said:

I gotta find a way to be at Game 3

I'll be there!
bigcat22
AG
M.C. Swag
AG

THE CLIPPERS TANKED FOR THIS! LFG!!!
mavsfan4ever
AG
We are a better team than the clipps. No jinx.

LFG
M.C. Swag
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
As a Spurs fan, I am thoroughly enjoying this. 'Street lights not spot lights.' Lol Gtfoh. Go Mavs.
PascalsWager
AG
If the Mavs are shooting 50% from 3 on 30+ attempts/night, they'll win the title 16-0. Even if Lebron and AD were traded to the Nets tomorrow, they'd still win the title.
NoahAg
awrollins said:

He does have a player option next year...
Will he cry his way out and try to team up with Chris Paul in Phoenix?
jeffdjohnson
PascalsWager said:

If the Mavs are shooting 50% from 3 on 30+ attempts/night, they'll win the title 16-0. Even if Lebron and AD were traded to the Nets tomorrow, they'd still win the title.

I agree that the Mavs will definitely not shoot 50% from 3 every game. However, they are capable of consistently shooting a high percentage with their current level of shot quality. The Clippers just don't have an answer for the Luka pick and roll game and are completely flailing. You can see it in the Clippers minutes distribution. They don't know how to matchup and are just guessing with their rotation at this point.

I really don't see any obvious counters to what the Mavs are doing offensively either. The Clippers will need to win this series purely with their own offense at this point. The Mavs aren't a great defensive team so it is plausible. At the end of the day I still like the shots that the Mavs are generating compared to the Clippers. Maybe 3 point variance swings against the Mavs and they go down, but process wise I love everything the Mavs are doing. They've got the best coach and best player in this series. They are getting the better looks. Not a lot else you can do, just gotta hope the Mavs get rewarded and can finish the Clippers off.
Saint Pablo
jeffdjohnson said:

PascalsWager said:

I agree that the Mavs will definitely not shoot 50% from 3 every game. However, they are capable of consistently shooting a high percentage with their current level of shot quality. The Clippers just don't have an answer for the Luka pick and roll game and are completely flailing. You can see it in the Clippers minutes distribution. They don't know how to matchup and are just guessing with their rotation at this point.

I really don't see any obvious counters to what the Mavs are doing offensively either. The Clippers will need to win this series purely with their own offense at this point. The Mavs aren't a great defensive team so it is plausible. At the end of the day I still like the shots that the Mavs are generating compared to the Clippers. Maybe 3 point variance swings against the Mavs and they go down, but process wise I love everything the Mavs are doing. They've got the best coach and best player in this series. They are getting the better looks. Not a lot else you can do, just gotta hope the Mavs get rewarded and can finish the Clippers off.
If this were going to happen, I feel like last night was the night. Kawhi and PG had 41 and 28 respectively, combining for 69 points (nice), played 40 minutes each, and still came up short.

I know that there is a long way to go, but it feels like the Dippers really have no answer for Luka p&r game or Luka generally. This one could be over.
investorAg83
AG
Luka has a total of 5 4th quarter points...5. I get that we won't shoot 50% from 3 every game, but Luka won't be quiet in the 4th every game either.

The Clippers look COMPLETELY outmatched thus far. This is not the same team from the bubble last year.
The Shank Ag
Clips really miss the physical play, sheet talking, and tough guy energy that Montrez Harrell gave them last year.

Marcus Morris could step up and be that villainous guy, but I don't think he can do what Montrez did last year. He was bruising Luka on every drive. I guarantee Luka/Hardaway/Brunson would have all been fouled very hard by him at this point. The Mavs have no fear of going hard at the rack without him in there.
mavsfan4ever
AG
It's a nice narrative and I'd normally agree with you. But Montrezz was like -199 in +- in the playoffs last year. He was awful.
Grapesoda2525
I think they're missing the scoring punch of that little turd Lou Williams. Seems like every time Kawhi went to the bench last year, Williams came out and torched our defense while putting up a ton of points in not very many minutes at all.
The Shank Ag
mavsfan4ever said:

It's a nice narrative and I'd normally agree with you. But Montrezz was like -199 in +- in the playoffs last year. He was awful.
You can have a terrible plus minus and still rough people up and get them emotionally/physically compromised. He wouldn't even need to play more than 20 minutes a game. Come in, smack the sheet out of people, then sub out. The damage he inflicted last year lasted more than just his time on the court.

In high school, we had a guy that would get subbed in for just that reason. Big, strong, a sheet talker, and physical as hell. He'd come in, pick up 2-3 quick hard fouls, maybe get a couple quick offensive put backs, and sub out. The other team would end up getting pissed and whining about it. Yea, they may score more (free throws and the like) and we'd score less while he was on the court, but what he did would have a lasting effect for when you'd have your best +/- bunch in
Grapesoda2525
The Shank Ag said:

mavsfan4ever said:

You can have a terrible plus minus and still rough people up and get them emotionally/physically compromised. He wouldn't even need to play more than 20 minutes a game. Come in, smack the sheet out of people, then sub out. The damage he inflicted last year lasted more than just his time on the court.

In high school, we had a guy that would get subbed in for just that reason. Big, strong, a sheet talker, and physical as hell. He'd come in, pick up 2-3 quick hard fouls, maybe get a couple quick offensive put backs, and sub out. The other team would end up getting pissed and whining about it. Yea, they may score more (free throws and the like) and we'd score less while he was on the court, but what he did would have a lasting effect for when you'd have your best +/- bunch in
That guy probably loved his job. Basically go in and be a dick for 10-15 minutes every game.
Infection_Ag11
AG
PascalsWager said:

15 of the 18 made threes were classified as either open (no defender within 4 feet) or wide open (no defender within 6 feet).

Last night was effectively a shoot around. If you give modern NBA caliber players that many open threes, a team can absolutely consistently shoot around 50%. If you look at the top 50 three point shooters in the league by percentage, they average 52.4% on threes classified as wide open. Even average three point shooters tend to be over 45% on such shots.

Unless the Clippers can figure something out on defense they're getting swept.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.